202 postsPage 3 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11
jdurham wrote
jpettit wroteDid you do an analysis of the date?

lol, yes, I couldn't help it. I'm predicting a release on May 22/24 OR June 19/21. Tuesdays or Thursdays seem to have a slightly higher probability with Presonus. Also, almost ALL the major releases happened in the latter part of the month, except Studio One 2.5, which was released Dec 2, 2012. So the probability looks a little better for May 22/24 or June 19/21 IMO.

Note that NAMM is June 28-30, so it also fits in with my prediction. Studio One v4 would be the big DAW star at NAMM this year.

Do I get a special award if I'm right? :D

Should have place your bet before the windows closed. :-)
You do get honorable mentions for being one of our top speculators :thumbup:

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by bassfx on Fri May 11, 2018 8:15 am
jpettit wrote
jdurham wrote
jpettit wroteDid you do an analysis of the date?

lol, yes, I couldn't help it. I'm predicting a release on May 22/24 OR June 19/21. Tuesdays or Thursdays seem to have a slightly higher probability with Presonus. Also, almost ALL the major releases happened in the latter part of the month, except Studio One 2.5, which was released Dec 2, 2012. So the probability looks a little better for May 22/24 or June 19/21 IMO.

Note that NAMM is June 28-30, so it also fits in with my prediction. Studio One v4 would be the big DAW star at NAMM this year.

Do I get a special award if I'm right? :D

Should have place your bet before the windows closed. :-)
You do get honorable mentions for being one of our top speculators :thumbup:

Yay! Well, I hope May 22 is actually the date -- unless you are confirming what the announcement is about?!?! Do you know anything more?!?! LOL

It seems very logical as I mentioned in previous posts... things do line up pretty well for May 22. But PreSonus could be announcing a different product that day! We'll have to see! Although it's probably Studio One 4. :-) Very exciting if true.

As for placing a bet, I actually did place a bet with a good friend of mine who also uses Studio One. Looks like he might owe me... :-)

In any case, I'm very excited about Studio One 4 -- really hoping they addressed some of my personal needs for more film/video/composing features... would be great to finally put Cubase out to permanent retirement! It's been a looooooooong time coming.
by Ellinas on Fri May 11, 2018 8:18 am
My feeling is that Studio One 4 and Reaper 6 will not be released until ARA2 for Melodyne is released.

Studio One Professional 3, Fl Studio 12, Cubase 7.5, Reaper 5, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 8, Windows 10 - 64bit, Firebox, iPad Air as Midi Controller.
by bassfx on Fri May 11, 2018 8:31 am
Although, looking at that Facebook post again, looks like it really MUST be Studio One 4. Those 4 dots give it away... And BTW I really like this mysterious marketing campaign if true!

by bassfx on Fri May 11, 2018 8:34 am
... and here's the YouTube page! Also, 4 dots! I think we know the answer folks!

by joostjanssens1 on Fri May 11, 2018 8:38 am
Ellinas wroteMy feeling is that Studio One 4 and Reaper 6 will not be released until ARA2 for Melodyne is released.

Considering the massive point updates they've been releasing since version 3, I wouldn't be so sure of that.
by joostjanssens1 on Fri May 11, 2018 8:41 am
[quote="jdurham"

In any case, I'm very excited about Studio One 4 -- really hoping they addressed some of my personal needs for more film/video/composing features... would be great to finally put Cubase out to permanent retirement! It's been a looooooooong time coming.[/quote]

Agreed. I'm in the exact same boat as you. The minute I can ditch Cubase, I will.
by roblof on Fri May 11, 2018 12:51 pm
Can you predict the correct lotto as well? 8-)

jdurham wroteLooks like PreSonus is teasing us with something.... could it be a Studio One 4 announcement? Who knows, but it's pretty cool! Note the date: May 22

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4626647633

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by bassfx on Fri May 11, 2018 12:59 pm
roblof wroteCan you predict the correct lotto as well? 8-)

jdurham wrote Note the date: May 22

Haha! I wish! I did at least (probably) win a bet with my friend though. 8-)

Let's see what happens on May 22 though... could be a new overpriced 2-channel USB interface based on an old design but with Rupert Neve transformers. Oh. I forgot. That's what Steinberg announced. ;)
by Lasperanza on Tue May 15, 2018 9:27 am
joostjanssens1 wrote[quote="jdurham"

In any case, I'm very excited about Studio One 4 -- really hoping they addressed some of my personal needs for more film/video/composing features... would be great to finally put Cubase out to permanent retirement! It's been a looooooooong time coming.

Agreed. I'm in the exact same boat as you. The minute I can ditch Cubase, I will.[/quote]

I'm intrigued when people say this. Personally, I ditched Cubase years ago for Studio One. I don't state this in a mad fan boy manner, I decided to do it back in Version 2 as it did everything I needed then. May I ask what has stopped you from doing so? (Not that you should!)

Studio One 5.1 - Windows 10 x64, Ryzen 5 5600x, 32GB DDR4 @3600
Adata M.2 500GB for OS, Gigabyte 1TB M.2 & Samsung 850 SSD x2 for Audio and Romplers.
IIyama 40 inch LED monitor, Presonus Faderport 2
RME Raydat PCI-E, SPL Crimson Rev.3, Clarett 8 Pre USB
Focal Twin 6BE monitors
Numerous microphones from Audio Technica, AKG, SE Electronics, Neumann...and my favourite Mojave 301 FET.
by darrenporter1 on Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am
OK we need to expand this speculation a little bit... how much are we speculating the upgrade price will be?

I may be forced to stick with 3.5 for a bit assuming that's what is coming of course. Just spent my DAW budget on a new PC!

edit: I see the current upgrade price from 2 to 3 is only $149. That's not bad at all. Hopefully it will be similar (or even cheaper introductory pricing will be available!)

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by bassfx on Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am
Speranza wrote
I'm intrigued when people say this. Personally, I ditched Cubase years ago for Studio One. I don't state this in a mad fan boy manner, I decided to do it back in Version 2 as it did everything I needed then. May I ask what has stopped you from doing so? (Not that you should!)

I posted a big thread a while back... can't recall if I posted it here in this forum or somewhere else... but basically, it boils down to specific features that many composers and film/video folks have come to rely upon for composing/film/video/post work in Cubase that are not quite as deep or mature in Studio One yet. It's mainly down to workflow efficiency for me, although there are larger feature differences that can make a real difference... and this is not operator inexperience I'm talking about.

These are simply missing features that are not there yet in Studio One. They may or may not be important to some people, but if someone is already familiar with them and uses them frequently in Cubase, some features will be sorely missed in Studio One for sure. But that's not to say one can't do serious, professional composing/film/etc work in Studio One. It's an amazing DAW, incredibly deep with unique features of its own... but it's just a few features shy of minimally replacing key features many film/video/composer people need in a DAW that Cubase has had for a long time. The list is actually moderately long once you get into more details, but one can nitpick over the value of the some of the differing features, so it's really a personal preference.

If you never used chord tracks in Cubase, for example, you won't miss them in Studio One. I personally never cared for them, but it was nice that they were there to experiment with. It's not a dealbreaker for me that they aren't in Studio One. More obvious missing features are things like articulation management, etc... (and not some add-on script... I'm talking baked into the main app, fully fleshed-out and integrated.) Again, if you never used that feature, then it's not a big deal. But once you rely on things like that in your workflow, it's difficult to NOT have them available. I expect articulation management to be available in Studio One soon, hopefully v4. It's a big deal to some people. The list goes on. Many of these items have been posted and voted upon in the Presonus feature request database, and you'll see quite a good list of things many people seem to want... hopefully some of those made it into S1 v4.

Still, I've been slowly transitioning over to Studio One, trying to push it and see how well it can handle various film/video workflows, and I just mixed another short film with sound design in it in Studio One. But it was definitely not ideal. Knowing very well what I can do in Cubase and honestly Pro Tools too, for example, I wanted to see if it could be done at a reasonable speed in Studio One, and yes, it's possible, and my client was very happy with the results and had no idea it was mixed in Studio One instead of some other DAW they know. But there were still deficiencies and workarounds and a few frustrations.

As for composing though, the gap is definitely larger, as mentioned. Hopefully Studio One v4 will address some of those.

Besides the composing issues (which are many to some people), for me, there are other standout issues that I hope Presonus resolves soon... i.e.: most recently what bugged me on this short film was that the Cubase video engine is just currently superior and easier to navigate, with more codecs (including pro codecs, including Avid, which I use on some projects), more accuracy, easier to navigate, etc... and that all depends on your workflow. If you just need simple H264 playback you'll be fine. But if you need to scrub back and forth for frame-accurate slicing and dicing and frame-accurate hits/cues, then Cubase and Pro Tools have better video engines/features, and are easier to get around. Simple things like a thumbnail track, extra marker tracks, timeline tracks, better granularity/usability of timeline with timecode (just zoom in with S1 and you'll see what I mean) and frankly even the frame accuracy of the video engine on Windows is a problem with Studio One. (There is a known bug in the Windows video engine for certain codec settings that is a real hassle, and I've reported it to Presonus and they have confirmed it... hopefully there will be a fix soon!).

So the little things that make a daily workflow with film/video and composing in general are currently not quite there yet in Studio One, and if the developers just spend ONE update focusing on those kinds of issues, it will go a long way to close the gap and let me put Cubase out to pasture. It's ALMOST there. Certainly Studio One 3.5 is a powerhouse. Just not quite there in some areas for these kinds of workflows.

So now I'm really crossing my fingers for Studio One 4 on May 22 and if they just address 1/2 of the issues I have, then I'll be thrilled. Because Studio One overall has so many other positives that if they close enough of the gap, it will more than make up for the differences.
by bassfx on Tue May 15, 2018 11:52 am
darrenporter1 wroteOK we need to expand this speculation a little bit... how much are we speculating the upgrade price will be?

I may be forced to stick with 3.5 for a bit assuming that's what is coming of course. Just spent my DAW budget on a new PC!

edit: I see the current upgrade price from 2 to 3 is only $149. That's not bad at all. Hopefully it will be similar (or even cheaper introductory pricing will be available!)

I'm betting $149. I will be surprised if they ask for more. Definitely no more than $179. That's a psychological marketing barrier in the US. $199 definitely too high.

Next speculation -- what are the headline features they will announce?

Obviously, we know ARA2 will be one of them... but as they have said in the past, the Presonus dev team tends to focus on one group for the main features of each release... so which customer group gets the most attention this time?

1) Studio Engineers?

2) Producers?

3) Composers?

4) Bedroom beatmakers?

5) Presonus hardware owners?

6) Film/video people?

7) Mobile/collaboration people?

8) Instrument library people?

9) Live performance people?

10) Electronic doodah people?

11) Modular tinkerers?

I probably missed some folks... :-)
by Vocalpoint on Tue May 15, 2018 12:59 pm
jpettit wroteYou'd have to ask iZotope.

For me - it's more like ask Presonus why S3 it is the only major DAW out there that cannot use RX Connect in any way,shape or form?

For us RX users - this is a bizarre oversight that I still do not understand - at all.

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.5.1.96553 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.246) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM
by jpettit on Tue May 15, 2018 1:09 pm
Vocalpoint wrote
jpettit wroteYou'd have to ask iZotope.

For me - it's more like ask Presonus why S3 it is the only major DAW out there that cannot use RX Connect in any way,shape or form?

For us RX users - this is a bizarre oversight that I still do not understand - at all.

VP

Don't have RX but I would formally contact both vendors with the issue.

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jpettit on Tue May 15, 2018 1:16 pm
jdurham wroteso which customer group gets the most attention this time?

1) Studio Engineers?

2) Producers?

3) Composers?

4) Bedroom beatmakers?

5) Presonus hardware owners?

6) Film/video people?

7) Mobile/collaboration people?

8) Instrument library people?

9) Live performance people?

10) Electronic doodah people?

11) Modular tinkerers?

I probably missed some folks... :-)

4,10 did you mean Electronic Musicians? Do not all Compose and Produce?

by bassfx on Tue May 15, 2018 1:40 pm
@jpettit -- those are the groups that came to mind. Definitely not a perfect list! And definitely lots of overlap.

By Composers I meant people who compose for film and video (and even trained big-template orchestral composers), but then of course there's lots of overlap. And by Film/video people, I was thinking of post production and sound design. And by Electronic doodah people I was thinking of non-bedroom electronic musicians and DJs. I'm sure we could figure out a *much* better list.

But the bottom line is, which group got the most attention for this upcoming Studio One 4 release? Really hoping that composers and film/video people got some love. Selfishly speaking, of course. :D
by Funkybot on Tue May 15, 2018 3:48 pm
I just have a few very small things I hope to see:

Improved Tempo drawing
Proper Track Templates (Audio/Instrument tracks, sends, busses, etc.)
Drum Editor
Score Editor (maybe a mini-Notion with an option to get more features if you own Notion)
Smart Tool for MIDI
PRV velocity by color
MPE Support (Omni channel mode, Polyphonic aftertouch, something like Note Expression)
MIDI Input Transformer/Logical Editor
Mix Snapshots
Separate Loop/Punch Ranges
Track Notes
Tempo Detection (Audio/MIDI)
Full-Screen Mode in Windows
MIDI Event List
Improved Waveform Drawing
Stereo Pans on console, polarity invert button
More GUI customization, higher contrast between selected and unselected events
Eliminate differentiation between MIDI Keyboards, Instruments, and Controllers; just have MIDI devices that can do all these things
Ripple Editing
Clip Gain
Eucon support (unlikely, but I can dream)

...nothing major.

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by jpettit on Tue May 15, 2018 4:11 pm
That looks like the list of FRs on Answers. ;-)

by bassfx on Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm
@Funkybot -- that's a great list! But you forgot to add video engine improvements, extra timeline and marker tracks and articulation management! :-)

BTW, what are you proposing with Clip Gain? We already have Event Gain, which is similar to Clip Gain in PT and Cubase -- are you talking about Take Envelopes like in Reaper (which is basically Event Gain on steroids)? That would indeed be very nice. Love, love, love take envelopes.

And I'm with you 1000% on a good Ripple Editing feature. That would be wonderful.

202 postsPage 3 of 11
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11