202 postsPage 8 of 11
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Fingers crossed for at least more options to customize the GUI if not a revamp. :geek:
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:10 am
It goes without saying, but try not to use the word "orange" in that lyric, as tempting as it may be.

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 6:29 am
lordjingjing wroteFingers crossed for at least more options to customize the GUI if not a revamp. :geek:

You mean the color / contrast or the actual design of it?

I was annoyed when the new 3.0 design was introduced with its white on black approach (ask any print ad designer why...), but I would be even more annoyed if this time the whole design was put in a blender and came out looking totally unfamiliar and alien all together. No offense to aliens.

Let's hope for excellence in design and performance that matches its advertised claims as well as meeting or exceeding the industry standard in terms of CPU load, MIDI timing and overall stability.

I'm relatively happy with 3.54 (not 3.56), so I don't need to upgrade unless there's a real incentive to do so. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just ease of use and crash free performance.

As much as I have griped about Studio One in the past, I still use it every day over anything else because they did get a lot of things right the first time out. From what I understand, it was also the official DAW used by Prince Charles to record his "Straight Out Of Buckingham" rap album.

[Okay, I just lied. But it was for a worthy cause - humor.]

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by brent mosher on Sun May 20, 2018 6:42 am
"From what I understand, it was also the official DAW used by Prince Charles to record his "Straight Out Of Buckingham" rap album."

Don't make jokes like this. Now I want to hear this so bad...
by lordjingjing on Sun May 20, 2018 6:58 am
roland1 wrote
lordjingjing wroteFingers crossed for at least more options to customize the GUI if not a revamp. :geek:

You mean the color / contrast or the actual design of it?

I was annoyed when the new 3.0 design was introduced with its white on black approach (ask any print ad designer why...), but I would be even more annoyed if this time the whole design was put in a blender and came out looking totally unfamiliar and alien all together. No offense to aliens.

Let's hope for excellence in design and performance that matches its advertised claims as well as meeting or exceeding the industry standard in terms of CPU load, MIDI timing and overall stability.

I'm relatively happy with 3.54 (not 3.56), so I don't need to upgrade unless there's a real incentive to do so. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, just ease of use and crash free performance.

As much as I have griped about Studio One in the past, I still use it every day over anything else because they did get a lot of things right the first time out. From what I understand, it was also the official DAW used by Prince Charles to record his "Straight Out Of Buckingham" rap album.

[Okay, I just lied. But it was for a worthy cause - humor.]

I was referring to the color / contrast, the foggy white and flat appearance. I really want a lot of v. 3 features but I couldn't manage to make the switch from v.2 Pro because of the lack of clarity in the GUI. :|
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 7:56 am
brent mosher wrote"From what I understand, it was also the official DAW used by Prince Charles to record his "Straight Out Of Buckingham" rap album."

Actually, I wasn't joking about that part. He's dropping the single "Bitch Slap My Tax Paying Hoes" in late August in conjunction with an aggressive guerrilla social media marketing campaign.

I'm already lined up outside the palace, waiting anxiously to hear the sound of the kick drum in the opening beat. :D

by santeripilli on Sun May 20, 2018 8:31 am
themuzic wrote
santeripilli wrote
Skaperverket wroteI have plenty of wishes for new or enhanced features, but the number one wish is that we can have all bugs and weird behaviors ironed out.

WORD.

It's not like the version 3 development would ever have reached a single, stable update. Simply inadequate code, and the "clients are beta-testers"-policy is very unethical, still.

I dunno what the heck happened, since v2 was perfect. Never ever crashed on me.

I have e.g. a song file I cannot open with the latest version, as it simply crashes after a minute.

-Santeri

I have had no stability issues with V3. I would say your system is having issues, not Studio One. I support dozens of people a day and any stability issues I see are most times system related and rarely Studio One related.

As to what you describe above, it sounds like a 3rd party plugin is having issues. That's my experience with my support group. But let me know if I can help in any way.

Hey themuzic,

thanks for the information, and offering to help. Very kind.

Yes, indeed, the problems probably are 3rd party-plugin related, but since a modern DAW offers the possibility to use a plug-in, it should also protect itself from the incompatibilities that using these plug-ins might present (like Renoise, that gives you a report specifically on what plug-in failed and how, and simply disables this plugin). This has been pretty weak in my experience. Add to this the fact the plugins that cause crashes are commercial products that are used worldwide by major producers/studios, not just a sinewave VSTi made by a hobbyist in '99 (I love a good sinewave, don't get me wrong).

When you say system-related, I've got a pretty basic Macbook/Sierra-setup that has no bells and whistles attached. Given what I know about software development, there are no significant factors in my setup that should provoke any problems on a well programmed, commercial software. Plus, I occasionally compose on my PC, and I've had a tough time in S1 nevertheless.

I vote for stability and proper beta-testing. No more major bugsquashing.

- Santeri

Apple MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2011):
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR RAM, 500 GB HD (7200 RPM),
OSX version 10.12.4. (Sierra),

Interface: TC Electronic Konnekt 6 FireWire

Presonus Studio One 3, newest version, always (except when too buggy to work with daily).
by bassfx on Sun May 20, 2018 8:34 am
roland1 wrote
brent mosher wrote"From what I understand, it was also the official DAW used by Prince Charles to record his "Straight Out Of Buckingham" rap album."

Actually, I wasn't joking about that part. He's dropping the single "Bitch Slap My Tax Paying Hoes" in late August in conjunction with an aggressive guerrilla social media marketing campaign.

I'm already lined up outside the palace, waiting anxiously to hear the sound of the kick drum in the opening beat. :D

I've enjoyed the direction this pre-release speculation thread has gone. Party on!

Looking forward to May 22 announcements... but now I feel a little conflicted... not sure which one I want more right now, Studio One 4, or Prince Charles' rap album?
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 8:46 am
What he said (Santeri).

I recently tried the 3.56 update on my PC - a hand-picked, self-built machine with top notch hardware and no software clutter. And yet, I experienced some troubling issues with "layers" while recording MIDI tracks.

But then, when I went back to using 3.54, I had no such issues with layers while recording MIDI.

So, while it may be more convenient for some, in my case, it is unwise to blame the machine for an obvious software problem.

"We could all benefit from a little more honesty and transparency in every aspect of our lives, especially where it concerns our recording software." — Prince Charles

by Lawrence on Sun May 20, 2018 9:41 am
You may (or not, you didn't really say) have given up too soon. Sometimes when you update Studio One and have issues trashing the application settings can clear it up.

Some of these issues are real, we who aren't fanboys ("been using it 8 years, never had an issue!" :)) surely know that. The thing (as with all tech) is to try to figure out why x% of people have a particular issue and the other x% don't, when they're all telling the truth. It gets to be difficult at times as computers are like fingerprints, no two are identical once people start using them.

But yeah, I'm a big Studio One fan, but not a blind fanboy. I know for sure that these reports are not just being made up.
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 9:55 am
Lawrence wroteYou may (or not, you didn't really say) have given up too soon. Sometimes when you update Studio One and have issues trashing the application settings can clear it up.

Some of these issues are real, we who aren't fanboys ("been using it 8 years, never had an issue!" :)) surely know that. The thing (as with all tech) is to try to figure out why x% of people have a particular issue and the other x% don't, when they're all telling the truth. It gets to be difficult at times as computers are like fingerprints, no two are identical once people start using them.

But yeah, I'm a big Studio One fan, but not a blind fanboy. I know for sure that these reports are not just being made up.

I was in the middle of working on a song and when I read the fixes, I thought "great." But as soon as I installed it, it caused an unexpected behavior with layers and so, rather than risk losing data, I opted to revert to the older version.

If, in a future fixes update for v3, there is any mention of a layers issue, then I'll know whether I gave up too soon or whether my instincts were correct. Either way, I was not going to take any chances on having the update mess with my existing work. Better safe than screwed. :)

by mikemanthei on Sun May 20, 2018 10:13 am
Orange you glad you didn't update your software
In the middle of a project ~ rip out your hair

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by roblof on Sun May 20, 2018 10:33 am
Lawrence,

Should I congratulate you on your 6000 posts or tell you to get a real life :mrgreen:

CONGRATULATIONS TO YOUR 6K POSTS!

Studio One Pro v5, Notion 6, Nuendo 11, BitWig v3, Reaper v4, Ableton Live 8 Suite, iMac late 2015, Behringer Wing/x32-BigBoy/x32-rack all with Dante/aes67 and s16/sd16 stageboxes, Flow8, Waves x-wsg with SoundGrid server, Behringer X-Touch, X-Touch ONE, M-Air mr18, X-Air xr18, DP48, Hub4 and p16 monitor systems, TurboSound iQ-speakers, Motör 61, BCR-2000, FirePod 10, Apogee Ensemble, Alesis HD24, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate Collectors, Halion 6, True Temperament Frets on basses and guitars, Katana-100, DT-50, JSX, JCM800, Korg Kronos, Roland vk-7, Behringer Deepmind 12, Behringer Neutron
by Lawrence on Sun May 20, 2018 10:49 am
roblof wroteLawrence,

Should I congratulate you on your 6000 posts or tell you to get a real life :mrgreen:

Haha. I have a real life but thanks for your concern anyway.

I knew there was a reason I'd taken a really long break from trying to help people here, and now I remember why.
by bassfx on Sun May 20, 2018 11:14 am
I haven't been using Studio One intensively enough until more recently, so I can't say from personal experience how often S1 patches break things. But I can get a good impression from observation, anecdotal info, personal contact with the developers, and reports from friends I trust who use it, about what is probably going on as a general pattern, and my impression of the S1 developers is pretty positive so far. That's not to say there aren't issues. I've found a handful of issues, including a couple that probably shouldn't have made it through the release process. One fairly annoying bug I reported in detail with a specific recipe to make it repeatable to the developers and they acknowledged it and said they're working on it. That was very encouraging.

I can also say from extensive use of other DAWs for many years that no DAW is immune from this kind of issue of course. One can get very upset at a DAW developer to the point that they want to dump one DAW and depart for another one. But the grass is not always greener on the other side of the DAW hill.

However, some have better track records than others. :-)

And some developers respond better than others. In the case of my interaction with the S1 team so far, I was impressed. Now I hope they follow through and get the issue fixed.

I've had similar exchanges with developers of several other DAWs, and the responses have varied all over the map. By comparison, the S1 team had a more reassuring and positive response, which gives me confidence. The proof will be in the results of course, but I've experienced very poor responses from other developers. So at least as of this point in my experience with Studio One, I have to honestly classify them in a *better* category than many other DAW developers.

Also, I suspect that Studio One is coming out of its "honeymoon" phase where enough people have switched over to it out of frustration with other DAWs, and enough good will has simmered down from it's fresh new car smell to the rough and tumble day-in-day-out usage patterns now, that people will start to notice the same kinds of bugs and messiness that all other DAWs have.

Still, some DAWs have better track records than others.

So far in my DAW/sequencer journey (which dates back to the Atari ST and Amiga -- ugh, that dates me too much), from what I've seen so far, Presonus is on the better side of the DAW development spectrum. I can think of several developers (no need to list them) that have had poor (public and private) track records... some downright TERRIBLE, and I still own some of those DAWs and deal with their issues way more than I should have to.

Presonus is at a transition point though, IMO. I suspect the upcoming 4.X cycle will push them over the indie-underdog edge into the "big league" for those people who still think of them as a 2nd-tier DAW. Don't get me wrong, the 3.X cycle has been very impressive, and made them a 1st-tier DAW in my opinion. It's shifted the opinions of *many* demanding DAW users and pros that I know. Heck, I love S1, and I've been trying to get rid of Steinberg for a while. For my kind of workflow, 3.X is ALMOST there, and I can't wait for 4.0. This 4.X cycle will reveal what kind of developers we really have though. I have a good impression of them so far, and I'm hoping it stays that way! I've seen DAWs go either direction at this phase of maturity, and I'm pretty optimistic of the Presonus team.

But for those having problems, again, the grass isn't always greener, yadda, yadda!

My humble suggestion is to spend the time to create a REPEATABLE, technical, well-written, accurate bug report recipe that you can report to them, and FOLLOW UP. Vague bug reports, especially with no follow-up, will NOT get much attention. And it does little good moaning about those issues, unless there is a large chorus of people moaning and groaning about it with you... then it MIGHT get some attention. Far better IMO to dig in and create a repeatable recipe though... that will go a long way to squash bugs more quickly. Because every DAW has bugs. The WORST bugs are the ones that impact YOU of course. So you might get lucky on another DAW because your workflow in that DAW doesn't come across as many bugs, but I guarantee there's someone using some feature that is railing about how broken their DAW is.
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 11:19 am
mikemanthei wroteOrange you glad you didn't update your software
In the middle of a project ~ rip out your hair

The lyric is taking shape. :) On that note:

I would never dare to wade into those murky update waters without creating a safety backup copy of a song to test the new version. When I discovered the issue — in the first few minutes — I just deleted that test file and continued working in the old S1 version with my untainted original song file.

"Save as" is my friend.

by Skaperverket on Sun May 20, 2018 11:25 am
Lawrence wrote
roblof wroteLawrence,

Haha. I have a real life but thanks for your concern anyway.

I knew there was a reason I'd taken a really long break from trying to help people here, and now I remember why.

Lawrence, you've been missed lately. I'd just like to thank you for all your great contributions around here. You have helped me and others so many times with all your knowledge about everything S1. Thank you so much!
by roland1 on Sun May 20, 2018 11:42 am
jdurham wrote...
I can also say from extensive use of other DAWs for many years that no DAW is immune from this kind of issue of course.

My experience with DAWs began in 1993. We had a commercial studio that ran Cubase on a Mac and MOTU Performer on an Atari. Woohoo! We also ran 24 track 2" tape back then.

Things have obviously progressed since then, and I've had a chance to work on almost every DAW out there, mostly for MAC. Luckily most make hybrids these days, too.

What had always frustrated me, however, is that DAWs never fully lived up to the hype of being real-time usable music creation machines. I found this out when I bought my Mac dual 533 MHz "Digital Audio" computer for way too much money back in 2001. Woohoo, too.

There were always issues that made me spend way too much time trouble-shooting problems — low CPU or low RAM issues, outdated software, protection schemes, OS software updating issues, latency with converters and many other progress-inhibiting aspects of the signal chain.

As a result, if I don't eventually get rich, famous and obscenely materialistic from making all this music, I will simply have to blame my computer. :D

Only recently have I really had the horsepower and software/hardware compatibility that allowed me to work without problem solving each time I fired up my computer. I'm sure a lot of people have experienced that frustration, too, if they've been doing this a while.

The irony is that my performances were a lot tighter using a Tascam 244 cassette based recorder. And that was when dinosaurs still roamed the earth - 6000 years ago (see what I did there?).

by mikemanthei on Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm
roland1 wrote"Save as" is my friend.

Ain't that the truth! It only takes a couple of mistakes and even us guitar players get smarter! :-)

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by BrentJammer on Sun May 20, 2018 1:34 pm
Wasn't there anything supposed to happen today? Not meant as provocation but as a real questions.

202 postsPage 8 of 11
1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11