24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi All

A while ago, someone recommended I get Xpand!2 (I forget whom , my apologies for that).

I have been looking to get it, but I have seen reviews that only put it at 2.5 stars out of 5. So.....

1. Is it worth getting (price or free not withstanding)?
2. Does it run well with W64 and v3.5.6?
3. Or is there a better, similar product out there?

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.6
Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, Maschine 3

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Tacman7 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:25 pm
I like it, have a lot of stuff that I paid more for that I don't use.

Pretty usable if you need different piano's guitars etc.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by leosutherland on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:30 pm
Thanks Tac :)

I did try the trial and the sound was astounding, but when I saw that it did not have the 5 stars that I had expected, maybe I got a little concerned.

How's S1 going for you then? :D

...said Halo

Serum, Diva, Synthmaster, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4 etc ad nauseam

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by robertgray3 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:48 pm
It’s basically the library that comes with Structure 2 just in an easier to use setup with less customization. Works great for fast broad stroke sounds that you can replace later with more flexible instruments.

Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro 6.1
3 GHz 8-Core Intel Xeon E5
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Dual AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB
Quantum 2
by sirmonkey on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:11 pm
I just found a sale on Xpand!2 for $9.99... HERE: http://reverb.com/software/instruments/ ... orkstation

Definitely grab it ! :thumbup:

As for the reviews: There are a bazillion instruments and synths out there. The variety in how they work and what they can do is huge. So maybe a lot of synth users are pretty picky. In this particular case, I wouldn't worry about the reviews.

Actually, I just looked at a few reviews. The plugin does require I-Lock antipiracy software to be installed (no dongle or extra paid product required) Initially I was very reluctant to intall I-Lock, thinking it was just more junkware. But there were some plugins I really wanted, so I relented and installed. Personally, I have had zero issues with I-lock. No CPU hit, no glitches. But sentiment against I-lock does account for a good portion of the negative reviews.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Tacman7 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:24 pm
After I bought Xpand for $1 I bought the upgrade for $75, lot of stuff there.

I use structure a lot for sampled guitars that work for what I'm doing.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... E-UPGRADE-

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by robertgray3 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:06 pm
Yeah the full collection can be good depending on the work you do. I think Presonus did an amazing job with their virtual instruments and effects but the AIR effects from Pro Tools have some excellent design choices. Kill EQ for instance makes a really common EQ task incredibly fast and simple.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by leosutherland on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:13 am
Thanks for all the opinions, guys. Time to dust off the wallet, methinks :)

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by sirmonkey on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:09 pm
Just in case you missed it, here's where to get it for $9.99 : https://reverb.com/software/instruments ... orkstation

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by leosutherland on Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:47 am
OK finally got around to buying Xpand!2 and installing on my DAW machine, including all the faffing around with iLok :D

Now got to do same thing on my Laptop, but should be simpler - I hope :roll:

The only problem is I haven't had occasion or inclination to actually use it for anything :oops:

Guess I'll just wait until the Muse smacks me in the gob....

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by robertgray3 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:32 am
Start off by using it for pads :) I think general purpose pads are one of its big strengths. You can stack a lot of different pad textures on top of each other in it and then blend them to taste.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by JohnBW on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:34 pm
I agree with not listening to bad reviews on this one. Probably mostly due to the iLok requirement. Or the perceived lack of iin-depth programmability for the synth tweakers.

I think I would describe the synth as comparable to a 1990's ROMpler. Great for setting up a sequence with 4 part multis and layers, with thousands of sounds on hand to work with, including real acoustic instruments sounds.

It's light on the CPU, and loads quick, so it's a great way to sketch out an arrangement. All of your bread and butter sounds in one place. I also have Structure and SampleTank 3, that I can replace sounds with later, but Xpand!2 is a fast way to get up and running!

You can use the macro 'Smart knobs' to quickly assign and control various essential parameters such as attack and release, or filter cutoff for performance from a controller.

And you can get around its single output bus per multi somewhat. Use multiple instances of Xpand!2, and then group up to four sounds in each instance. Say for example if you wanted to route guitars to one bus, and drums to another, just use separate instances for those groups.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by leosutherland on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:42 am
robertgray3 wroteStart off by using it for pads :) I think general purpose pads are one of its big strengths. You can stack a lot of different pad textures on top of each other in it and then blend them to taste.

I'll be playing with it this weekend - when not in the pub! :D

Pads is mainly what I had it in mind for, have to see how many Tangerine Dream-esque pads I can find/construct

Maybe I can get a good, deep, bottom-wobbling Taurus bass out of it :mrgreen:

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by jggiano on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:37 am
I checked out the $9.99 link (thanks, by the way), and just as I was about to add it to my Cart, Tacman7's $1 deal sounded familiar. And after watching the video on the "Reverb" site, I decided to check my StudioOne "Instruments" in the Browser. Sure enough, it was already there and waiting to be used.
After reading the comments in this thread, I'll be spending some time with it this weekend.

I would like to develop the discipline of using what I HAVE, before being so eager to want what I don't have.

Windows 10
StudioOne 4 Pro
Presonus AudioBox 1818VSL
Korg Krome 61
Ensoniq MR61
Korg MicroStation
Akai MPK mini
by Tacman7 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:56 am
+1 on that!

I have the whole AIR package but the only thing I have installed is structure and xpand!2. I lost an SSD drive with all my licenses and had to write people to get my license back on the stuff I wanted. Might try some of those other ones if I figure out how to download them again.

I was just noticing that all my waves licenses are on my SSD now. Must not be a problem or I would of remembered it from last crash. I have the dongle for cubase and ilok but waves didn't offer to let me store licenses on those. It would let me put it on a flash drive. Not sure about that. Sorry, didn't mean to open another can of worms.

Forum Moderator.

by JohnBW on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:49 am
OK GASsers, here's a deal for ya!

Take that $1 or $10 Xpand!2 and use it to upgrade to the AIR Instrument Expansion Pack 3 for $75, until May 1st.

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... E-UPGRADE-

All you need is any one AIR instrument to qualify for the full upgrade. I got pulled into this deal a couple years ago. No regrets!

Some of the interfaces are a bit dated, but there are thousands of great sounds. Enough here to keep you busy for a long time, and maybe keep away from buying expensive new toys for awhile.

It includes the Structure 2 sampler, and some great synths and keyboard instruments. I really like the synths Hybrid 3, Vacuum Pro, and Loom. Hybrid 3 has some fantastic pads!

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by robertgray3 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:19 pm
It's a great deal and I like their stuff but just to let the deal-hungry know, it basically comes up at least twice a year :) They'll price one of their instruments at $10 or less at the same time that they do the $75 full upgrade path promo.

Mac Pro 6.1
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Quantum 2
by leosutherland on Tue May 01, 2018 3:01 am
Well, I bit the bullet and jumped in at the deep end and got the deal (just before it expired) :)

Looks like it's going to be a while trying out all the goodies!

...said Halo

Windows 10 x64 (22H2)

by multifederal on Thu May 03, 2018 10:53 am
leosutherland wroteWell, I bit the bullet and jumped in at the deep end and got the deal (just before it expired) :)

Looks like it's going to be a while trying out all the goodies!

If I saw this thread earlier I would have given you my copy of Xpand 2 for free, I don't use it (anyone else here is welcome to it if they want it).

For starters, the earlier comment in this thread is correct, it sounds similar to a rompler from the 90s, and I'm pretty sure it's all 16bit drudgery in there, it's about a decade old!

I only deal with 24bit 96Khz sounds myself, and I deem the majority of the Xpand2 sounds quite lame. One could make something with it if they had nothing else to use, but fortunately there are far better sounds available, and S1's own Presence XT is a good example, it blows Xpand2 away. If you can't make a quality song with Presence XT then something is very wrong, so why bother with Xpand 2 would be my question.

I don't like airmusictech plugins in general, they're all sad IMO, and even though I'm something of a synth connoisseur, I don't bother with their Hybrid 3 synth, it's another lame duck, but fortunately S1's very own Mai Tai is the duck's nuts!
by sirmonkey on Thu May 03, 2018 12:34 pm
Leo, did you just get XPand, or did you get the "Expansion Pack" (the suite of instruments)?

Anyway, here's a good demo of a few of Xpands' presets:
phpBB [video]

And there are many other videos on Youtube which explain/demo Xpand.

In my opinion, you made a 100% worthwhile purchase, at a low price. While there is always something hypothetically "better", no matter what plugins you have, I am very sure that you'll enjoy Xpand. Have fun!

24 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2