18 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm quite new to Studio One 3.

On other softwares I was able to grab entire tracks and move them horizontally -- typically to align them time-wise with each other if, for instance, they were created independently.

I've now spent hours trying to do this with SO3. The manual eludes this. I've tried dozens of keystrokes and tools that might actually select entire tracks and give me the ability to drag them left or right, but to no avail. I've scoured every web page, and nobody really covers this -- but of course it must be possible.

I've also created a metronome and tried to align it with my tracks. I've had some luck moving it left or right, but when playing the song, now there is multiple instances of the metronome playing. What a mess.

Can anybody tell me what I've been missing?
by scottyo7 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 pm
Studio One calls pieces of audio "Events".
If you were to record non-stop from the beginning to end of your song, you'll have one large continuous 'Event'. Then that Event can be cut, pasted, copied, etc..

This is pretty basic for Studio One but I get that it may not be such coming from other DAWs.
Keep in mind that keyboard shortcuts from other DAWs can be selected for use within the Options menu.

Check out this YouTube tutorial and other related ones* related to "Introduction", "Beginning", etc..

It takes time to learn S1 so it would behoove you to watch a *few and/or read the manual (under main menu "Help" tab).

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by Tacman7 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:37 pm
You can't move an audio event any more to the left than 0 but you should be able to move it to the right.

Only thing I can think of that would cause it not to be able to be moved.

The tracks are just containers, you can move them up or down.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Steve Carter on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:42 pm
Have you got 'snap to grid' on? If so, dependent on the quantise value, you might be trying to drag the track/event a smaller distance than the grid step, which may seem like the track/event won't move!

Regards...

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by coendemoor on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:06 am
Someone says: you cannot always drag to the left, but you can always drag to the right.
My question is: how?
I don't know how to drag in any direction at all!
by jBranam on Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:40 am
to lengthen... take your cursor to the end of the part and it will change to a vertical line and arrow... while the cursor is like that left click hold and drag. it will elongate or shorten the section/piece to desired length. cheers

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Bbd on Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:59 am
Just click on the event and drag it.

From the current Help:

Events

All audio and musical data that exists within the timeline of your Song are visually represented by Events. Events that contain audio are called Audio Events and can only be located on Audio Tracks. Audio Events are distinct in that they display audio waveforms. Audio Parts are Events that contain multiple Audio Events.

Events that contain musical data are called Instrument Parts and can only be located on Instrument Tracks. Instrument Parts are distinct in that they display musical performance information.

Audio Events and Instrument Parts are referred to collectively as Events in this manual. Event editing can take place both in the Arrange view and the Edit view. Audio Events and Instrument Parts can be edited in similar ways, but each has special considerations.

[Right]/[Ctrl]-clicking on any Event displays the Event contextual menu, which contains all related Editing actions, logically grouped. At the top of the contextual menu, you can find the Event Name, which can be edited by double-clicking on it and entering a new name. You can rename all Events on a Track by renaming the Track and holding [Shift] while pressing [Enter] after typing in the new name. You can also change the Event color by clicking on the color bar next to its name and selecting a color or scrolling through the colors with the mouse wheel.

Common editing actions are listed under the Event name, as well as a Recent Items list that contains the five most-recently used actions. In this way, you have instant access to the editing actions you most likely want to use.

Note that the available actions listed in the Event contextual menu depend on whether you are working with an Audio Event or an Instrument Part, and the actions may vary slightly depending on your version of Studio One.

Tool and Event Snapping

Snapping allows editing actions to occur only at specified divisions in time (such as bars and beats), making editing easier when working with tempo-specific material. For instance, Snapping makes it possible to rearrange specific beats from a bar of a drum loop while keeping the rest of the loop in time. Snap is engaged by default and can be disengaged by clicking on the Snap to Grid button. You can also temporarily defeat Snapping by pressing the [Shift] key while moving the mouse.

If Snap is engaged, the current Snap setting affects the behavior of tools and Event editing, by snapping the tool or Event to nearby time values, as follows:
Adaptive The default setting, where snapping occurs at the nearest logical subdivision of the current Timebase, based on the current timeline zoom level.
Bar Snapping occurs at the nearest musical bar line.
Quantize Snapping occurs at the nearest musical subdivision of the current Quantize Setting.
Frames Snapping occurs at the nearest frame subdivision.

There are four optional behaviors that can be selected and applied to any of the four modes above:
Snap to Cursor and Loop This option enables snapping to the playback cursor and Loop locators.
Snap to Events This option enables snapping relative to Events in the Arrangement.
Snap to Zero Crossings This option ensures that the audio data in an Event will snap to a zero crossing point. This will help avoid an unnatural click at the beginning of the audio data when the Event is moved or split.
Snap to Grid This option is engaged by default, allowing tool and Event snapping to the grid.
Relative Grid This option maintains the time relationship relative to the grid for any Event, so that when the Event is moved, the snap position maintains the original position relative to the grid, instead of snapping directly to the grid.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by jBranam on Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:26 am
when last post spoke of no draggin' 'left' i assumed he was not speaking of moving the part. you can't really extend the 'beginning' of a recorded part... you can only extend the end which is on the 'right' side of the part :) cheers

jay

“Life is so constructed, that the event does not, cannot, will not, match the expectation.”

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by Lawrence on Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 am
He's probably in automation mode, I see it all the time with new users, they're in automation mode and can't move events with the "Disabled events under automation" option on which may be the default, not sure.
by jBranam on Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:40 am
ah :thumbup:

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by wayneflorek on Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:46 pm
I prefer to use the "Nudge" option to move Track(s)/Events, either by Bars or Time (Beats). From Studio One RTFM>>

NudgePress [Alt]+[Right Arrow] on the keyboard to move the Event or note forward in time by the current snap value in the Arrangement or Editor. With Snap disabled, nudging adjusts in milliseconds.
Nudge BackPress [Alt]+[Left Arrow] on the keyboard to move the Event or note backward in time.
Nudge BarPress [Ctrl]/[Cmd]+ [Alt]+[Right Arrow] to move the Event or note forward by one bar.
Nudge Bar Back Press [Ctrl]/[Cmd]+ [Alt]+[Left Arrow] to move the Event or note backward by one bar.
by Tacman7 on Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:16 pm
Welcome to the Forum!

I've not needed to use Nudge much...

The delay parameter is good to move stuff backwards or forwards a few ms or so.

I use the arranger track to move sections around, that's a handy tool.

Good to put your specs in your signature, just click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by geraldaasen on Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:29 am
YES!

First of all the term "simply" is abused in association with editing.

If you want to drag or slide a track horizontily you need room to do it. There is always infinite room at the end of the track/tracks, so you can always drag/slide to the right. But sliding to the left is different. Even though you may have zero events at the beginning of the track, the track counts the empty space as if it has events on it as well. You need to split the track/tracks that you want to move to the left and remove/erase/cut the beginning of the track/tracks. Use the split tool to split the track then either erase, cut or delete the beginning. Now you can left click and drag.

You can do this to your whole song, every track simultaneously by going to Edit, Select, Select All.
Then click on any track, and as long as there is emptiness at the beginning, they will all move in relationship to where they were recorded.
by Tacman7 on Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:12 am
Welcome to the Forum!

geraldaasen wroteIf you want to drag or slide a track horizontily you need room to do it.

Yes and no...

There's ripple edit:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... udio-one-4

Like here the first pass is with ripple off, second on:
RippleEdit.gif

I mainly use the arranger track and it can be used like a utility when I need to copy sections etc.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature

Forum Moderator.

by Lokeyfly on Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:35 am
geraldaasen wroteYES!

First of all the term "simply" is abused in association with editing.

If you want to drag or slide a track horizontily you need room to do it. There is always infinite room at the end of the track/tracks, so you can always drag/slide to the right. But sliding to the left is different. Even though you may have zero events at the beginning of the track, the track counts the empty space as if it has events on it as well. You need to split the track/tracks that you want to move to the left and remove/erase/cut the beginning of the track/tracks. Use the split tool to split the track then either erase, cut or delete the beginning. Now you can left click and drag.

You can do this to your whole song, every track simultaneously by going to Edit, Select, Select All.
Then click on any track, and as long as there is emptiness at the beginning, they will all move in relationship to where they were recorded.

First off, as mentioned in this post, tracks never move horizontally. Events do. Also moving left of zero, you needn't split anything to shift any events further left or delete anything else. Simply click on the loop starting from zero to the amount of bars/beats/ticks you wish to insert before zero. Then, ight click on the timeline and select to insert the loop length to timeline. Then any events have room to move left. Its extremely quick. This will work anywhere on the timeline to split all tracks to insert some desired length, left of the loop start point.

Alternate to dragging tip: If any event(s) are highlighted, you don't always have to drag them either. They can also be moved coarsely or finely by scrolling over the bar/beet/ticks in the Track Inspector. A great asset for drummers as well when dealing with notes. Just highlight any notes and move them in this same manner (works for transposing as well).
Cheers and HNY! :punk:

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by craigadams3 on Sun Feb 27, 2022 2:59 pm
On the track you just have to click and hold on the bottom half of the track. If you hover you mouse over the top half of the track you will have a cross and a double click will split the track. If you hover on the bottom half you will have a pointer and a double click will bring up Melodyne.
by Steve Carter on Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:42 pm
Track height has to be sufficient for these options to be available and double clicking on a track will normally by default open the edit page unless previous editing with Melodyne has occurred, in which case double clicking will open the track for Melodyne editing.

Melodyne editing is initiated on a track (in focus) by ‘control (or command) M’ or right clicking and selecting ‘edit with Melodyne’ from the drop-down menu.
by antg1 on Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:24 pm
In my case, when I "Selected All" after cleaning up the first two bars of dead space, I noted the Hint on screen while attempting to drag which stated: "Locked: Can't...".
After investigating all 8 tracks by which some had automation, I found **only** the Click Track (track 8) had a visible lock. After I right clicked on Track 8's header (the description / info portion, not the Audio/MIDI part of the track itself) and chose Unlock, I was able to Shift All Tracks to the left to the 0 position.
If you have multiple tracks which are visible that do not show a lock be sure to scroll through all of your tracks and verify no tracks have any locks enabled.

18 posts
Page 1 of 1