22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I bought the audiobox bundle with studio one, but when I open studio one it blocks all audio from other programs unless I restart my pc, and studio one doesn't play sound unless i start it first. I have turned off exclusive access on my mic and headphones, both from playback devices and through the program

i5-7600k 3.8Ghz 16GB DDR4 RAM Presonus Studio One 3 Artist
Presonus Audiobox USB 96 Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
by LBH on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:34 am
I don't have a Presonus audio interface. But if you mean you can't run two r more applications at the same time, then it look like this is'nt supported. You can contact and ask Presonus support directly.

If you close Studio One, and then start another application - or close another application and then start studio one, then you should not need to restart your computer.

Motherboard: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel I7 3770, 3,4 GHz, Quad core - Hyperthreading
SSD: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO series
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
DAW: Studio One 2 and 3 Professionel - 64 bit
Controller: Novation SL-MKII - Automap
Soundcard/ Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
All is Fully updated including BIOS and firmware.
by Tacman7 on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:02 pm
pg 32 of the reference guide:

Release Audio Device in Background is disabled by default. When engaged, the currently used audio device
is made available to other applications when Studio One is minimized.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by LBH on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:42 am
Tacman7 wrotepg 32 of the reference guide:

Release Audio Device in Background is disabled by default. When engaged, the currently used audio device
is made available to other applications when Studio One is minimized.

Yes. But what to do if the OP 's issue is about wanting to play sound from two applications on top of each other at the same time?
Can audiobox only handle sound from one application/ client at a time? Some soundcards/ drivers (like mine) can handle sound from multiple applications/ clients at the same time.

by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:18 am
I was thinking that release driver would let it play at the same time. Does on mine.

Might be more of a function of my interface. It uses an ASIO driver and a WDM driver.

I work in 48k but I export mp3's that are 44.1k and I can play them and check how it exported without closing S1.

Forum Moderator.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

by gregghart on Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:21 am
That's exactly how it works for me too. The reason you wouldn't want to check it is that it takes a little more processing power to keep it open for other devices.

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by LBH on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:55 am
Are you both saying, that you get sound from Studio One when "Release audio device" option is enabled, and you minimize Studio One, and only if that option is enabled? If so, then how can the audio device be released? This function in it self does'nt make it possible to run multiple sources at the same time.

It's true you with this option enabled don't have to close Studio One to get sound from another application. That can be done by minimizing Studio One. I only mentioned closing Studio One, because that could show, if it was a multi client problem. But afaik this option does'nt make it possible to hear sound from Stusio One and another sound source at the same time.

True fundamental ASIO i think only can be used by one soundsource at a time, Perhaps unless something has been done. In this context the "Release audio device" option can come in handy. But i'm not a technician.

Am i missing something?

by Tacman7 on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:06 pm
Okay, I just tried playing Studio One and a media player at the same time, S1 is 48k and the media player is 44.1k.

They can play at the same time and I don't have the release driver box checked.

So that's just a function of my interface being able to play ASIO and WDM at the same time.

Seemed like it used to be a matter of focus when you have release driver checked that whatever application you click on would have the sound, maybe.

Forum Moderator.

by LBH on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:12 am
Yes. Good.
Then i think we agree Tacman.

by JohnBW on Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:05 am
Two Windows applications cannot share ASIO at the same time. A workaround for having two ASIO applications open and hearing sound from both is to let one use ASIO, and then use WDM (or WASAPI, if available) for the second one.

Windows media players do not use ASIO, so that shouldn't be an issue. But some audio interfaces have issues with switching from a DAW to Windows audio if one is using a different sample rate from one to the other. If you suspect this issue, you can try setting your DAW and Windows audio both to default to 44.1KHz.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by donaldbaarns on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:01 am
FWIW - I use S1 and other apps on Windows at the same time, not a problem. The Audiobox driver allows it. (I'm assuming you have the Universal Controller installed.)

All your apps DO need to be using the same sample rate from what I can tell.

Assuming your Audiobox is selected in S1.
Try this: Select "Windows Audio" (even if you're using something else), then the "Control Panel" button.
UN-check the "Exclusive Mode" check box at the top. Ok that box.

Switch back to your Audiobox interface in S1.

In a few cases, you'll need to restart S1, but usually you don't.

Please let us know if that helps.

Don

S1 v6.x Pro - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26, IO 24, Atom
Eris E5s
iZotope RX10 Advanced
Win 11 Pro-32GB RAM-AMD 3900x
AMD 5700XT
Windows 10 Pro-16 GB RAM
MacOS Ventura (13.4) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group: Studio One Users-Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Courses for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.VOJumpstart.com/

Studio One and iZotope RX Videos for Narrators/Podcasters/VO:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by lewisbirkett on Sun Apr 08, 2018 3:35 am
donaldbaarns wroteFWIW - I use S1 and other apps on Windows at the same time, not a problem. The Audiobox driver allows it. (I'm assuming you have the Universal Controller installed.)

All your apps DO need to be using the same sample rate from what I can tell.

Assuming your Audiobox is selected in S1.
Try this: Select "Windows Audio" (even if you're using something else), then the "Control Panel" button.
UN-check the "Exclusive Mode" check box at the top. Ok that box.

Switch back to your Audiobox interface in S1.

In a few cases, you'll need to restart S1, but usually you don't.

Please let us know if that helps.

As I said I have done these methods. Nothing releases the audio besides restarting my pc which is really annoying

by lewisbirkett on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 am
at the moment I have to restart my pc to use studio one, then restart again to use any other audio. This is really annoying it should release when studio one is closed. I can't use studio one and listen to something for reference or a youtube tutorial

by lewisbirkett on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:02 am
now my audio will just cut out randomly and I'll have to restart

by izaklucas-parr on Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:39 pm
Hi there,

I had this issue bugging me for a very long time before I decided it was too annoying to handle. If you've already tried ticking and unticking the "Release Audio Device in Background" and "Exclusive Mode" boxes and nothing worked, then the issue is most likely just that Windows and Studio One are using different sample rates or bit-rates, which JohnBW touched on briefly.

Right-click the speaker icon at the bottom right of your toolbar, click Sounds. In the new window, click Playback > Speakers (or whatever comes up as the current audio device) > Properties > Advanced. Then change the sample rate and bit depth to match your inferface. My Audiobox USB uses 24-bit 44.1kHz whereas Windows had defaulted to using 16-bit 48kHz. The issue should hopefully be fixed now! :)
by Arnys on Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:02 am
First I noticed that right-mousing the speaker icon seemed to release the speaker.
Then I tried ticking and unticking the "Release Audio Device in Background" and then re-ticking and this helped. I then unticked "allow exclusive mode from control panel".
The clue was that I could hear a click from my Audient ID4 box when I changed programs.
I changed to 24-bit 44.1kHz for my Audient speaker( as izaklucas-parr suggested) and all seems back to normal.
by jdjulander on Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:11 pm
JohnBW wroteTwo Windows applications cannot share ASIO at the same time. A workaround for having two ASIO applications open and hearing sound from both is to let one use ASIO, and then use WDM (or WASAPI, if available) for the second one.

Windows media players do not use ASIO, so that shouldn't be an issue. But some audio interfaces have issues with switching from a DAW to Windows audio if one is using a different sample rate from one to the other. If you suspect this issue, you can try setting your DAW and Windows audio both to default to 44.1KHz.

This was frustrating me to no end!!! After using Studio One I always had to go into the sound control panel and disable, then re-enable my sound device on top of not being able to hear my mixdowns or reference tracks in other apps. Your solution to change the bit rate to 44.1khz (mine was set to 48k) solved this and relieved my long-term headache. Thank you!
by berrylcarlosmanuel on Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:24 am
izaklucas-parr wroteHi there,

I had this issue bugging me for a very long time before I decided it was too annoying to handle. If you've already tried ticking and unticking the "Release Audio Device in Background" and "Exclusive Mode" boxes and nothing worked, then the issue is most likely just that Windows and Studio One are using different sample rates or bit-rates, which JohnBW touched on briefly.

Right-click the speaker icon at the bottom right of your toolbar, click Sounds. In the new window, click Playback > Speakers (or whatever comes up as the current audio device) > Properties > Advanced. Then change the sample rate and bit depth to match your inferface. My Audiobox USB uses 24-bit 44.1kHz whereas Windows had defaulted to using 16-bit 48kHz. The issue should hopefully be fixed now! :)

THANK YOU! THIS SAVED MY LIFE
by richardfournier on Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:38 pm
Step one :
I cliked with the right mouse button on the speaker icon on the left taskbar of my screen (next to the time and date)
Open sound setttings /
Choose your output device : speakers (AudioBox USB 96)
Choose yout input device : Line (AudioBox USB 96)

Step two :
I cliked once again with the right mouse button on the speaker icon
I simply selected "Troubleshoot sound problems" and then this message appeared in the troubleshooter : Problem found - Audio format not set to default - Fixed.

I took a beer to celebrate because I lost an entire day trying to fix this issu ! Hope this help. :lol:
by cameronspringfield on Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:12 pm
Just go into advanced sound settings in windows and make sure that the device is set at a different sample rate than S1.

22 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2