39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
Skaperverket wroteOkay, then there are other things to rule out. Next step I would suggest is disabling all CPU power management settings in the UEFI BIOS, did you try that yet?

Here's what the linked Merging article says about that topic:

1.BIOS
If you can access your computer BIOS, it is recommended to disable all power management features of your CPU, as this implies changes in the CPU speed and that is far from optimal for any audio application.Same applies to overclocking.Please have a look at your motherboard manual to locate those settings, may vary depending of the manufacturer.
Intel Turbo Boost Technology: Disabled
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Disabled
C-State Support (C3, C6, C7, C8 State): all Disabled
CPU EIST Function: Disabled (also called Intel Enhanced SpeedStep, that should always be disabled)
CPU power saving mode: Disabled

Here are some new results after BIOS conf. It looked promising to begin with, but then after a while the ACPI driver for NT appeared.

For a comparison: Tried out latency monitor on my 5 years old macbook pro on bootcamp windows 10. All good to go, suitable to handle audio :)

Intel Core i7-7800X 3.5GHz / Asus Prime X299-A / GeForce GTX 960 / 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
Fractal Design R5 Black Pearl / Fortron Hydro G 750W / Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 / Samsung M.2 NVMe 960 EVO 250GB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB x 4 / 4TB HDD Storage / Windows 10 x64 / RME UFX / RME ADI-8 DS MKIII / [b]Presonus Studio One 5 Pro
/ Presonus Faderport 8 / Adam Audio A77X /[/b]
// Synthesizers.com / Moog Sub 37 / Octatrack / Analog 4 / Korg MS20m / Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro / Logan SMII / Doepfer MAQ 16/3 / MacBook Pro 2015
by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:32 am
Same as above but with disabled nvidia display adapter and ethernet as well.

Result are same as above. Looks very promising the first 60 minutes, but suddenly the ACPI.sys kicks in and raises the DPC indicater bar.

Intel Core i7-7800X 3.5GHz / Asus Prime X299-A / GeForce GTX 960 / 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz
Fractal Design R5 Black Pearl / Fortron Hydro G 750W / Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 / Samsung M.2 NVMe 960 EVO 250GB
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB x 4 / 4TB HDD Storage / Windows 10 x64 / RME UFX / RME ADI-8 DS MKIII / [b]Presonus Studio One 5 Pro
// Synthesizers.com / Moog Sub 37 / Octatrack / Analog 4 / Korg MS20m / Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro / Logan SMII / Doepfer MAQ 16/3 / MacBook Pro 2015
by JohnBW on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:58 am
Here is an article about solving DPC latency by Sweetwater technical support:

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... cy-issues/

I will add that when I ran LatencyMon for over an hour my ACPI.sys stats remained at '0' across the board.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro
by Skaperverket on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:10 am
Great! Getting closer now.

Interesting that it happens after one hour. Could be a scheduled task triggering it, or a device (or the computer) entering or waking from some idle mode. Did you disable all power saving features for hard drives etc.? Either way, I suggest following the Merging guide, they point out some things about power saving for USB controllers and an unneccessary scheduled task along with a bunch of other things.

P.S.: By the way, did you try Googling this? Your case sounds different, but, anyway, if the Merging guide doesn't work, you could look into a couple of informative threads over at Superuser:

https://superuser.com/questions/1135273 ... y-acpi-sys

https://superuser.com/questions/1030190 ... 16#1033016
by matthewgorman on Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:32 am
kaosikosmos wroteSame as above but with disabled nvidia display adapter and ethernet as well.

Result are same as above. Looks very promising the first 60 minutes, but suddenly the ACPI.sys kicks in and raises the DPC indicater bar.

ACPI is power management. Maybe check the settings on your hard drives and make sure they are not going into a power save state after an hour.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:22 am
I have now followed all steps in the Merging guide.
Latency mon has been running for 3 hours ( i fell asleep) and it looks better.

(Windows did force install an older version of nvidia driver without me noticing, but following Merging guide steps have been taken to prevent auto updates now)

I am going to do one more test with the Nvidia driver disabled.

Attachments
latency mon Merging Guide.txt
(9.51 KiB) Downloaded 497 times

by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:56 am
Another thing that confuses me is choosing the right network driver.
So i would like to hear what you think. Can someone please follow this link and choose windows 10 64 bit and tell me which one of the lan drivers i should choose?

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/PRIME ... _Download/

As you can see the oldest driver is called:
Intel(R) Gigabit Ethernet Driver V22.2.4.0 f

While the two others are called:
Intel Lan drivers

And the one i have installed (from the MB CD) is called:
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V (driver version 12.15.23.9)

This is confusing. Is there a difference between the Intel Lan drivers and the Intel Gigabit Ethernet driver? Which one should i install on my system?

by Skaperverket on Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am
kaosikosmos wroteI have now followed all steps in the Merging guide.
Latency mon has been running for 3 hours ( i fell asleep) and it looks better.

(Windows did force install an older version of nvidia driver without me noticing, but following Merging guide steps have been taken to prevent auto updates now)

I am going to do one more test with the Nvidia driver disabled.

Great news, kaosikosmos! Looks much better now. These numbers are acceptable, and you can stop here if you want to, but there are still things that can be done to lower those numbers. It might take a lot of time and you probably won't notice a difference at all, so time is possibly better spent making some music.

Regarding drivers for the Intel NIC: It's a mess. Really old drivers can sometimes be the best for DPC latency figures. My suggestion is that you try the default one that Microsoft gives you when you go into Device Manager and update the driver from there. If that one works, just stick with it. If it's problematic, try the other ones and see what works best.
by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 pm
Hm, instead of going further at the moment i think i need to take a step back instead to get a better overview and understanding of the situation. The last thing i want is to install OS again.

A couple of questions regarding the configs ive done:

1. Ive had Hyperthreading disabled with the lasts tests. But theres nothing about it in the Merging guide. So maybe i can put it back on. Guess i have to do some more testing. Any input on this?

2. A lot of tweaks have been done with the cpu power management f.i when setting minimum and maximum processor state to 100%. How ill this affect my overall system in case of fan noise? Does this mean that the fans will spin faster to cool down also when machine is in idle mode or light use?

by Skaperverket on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 pm
1. Enable Hyperthreading. It is very effective for DAW work. :thumbup:

2. Even though the frequency is set to 100%, the power consumption and generated heat will still be very much dependent on the work load you feed it. My guess is that your fans will probably not behave any different at all. (On my system I can't even hear them until I reach almost 90% utilization in DAWbench.)

P.S.: I know I already wrote some of the following, but when you reinstall drivers, some settings can be reverted: Some simple settings that could help for the Nvidia driver performance can be changed in the Nvidia control panel under 3D Settings: Set the Maximum pre rendered frames to 3 and Prefer Maximum Performance for the Performance Management. I set this in Global first, and then I go to the tab for individual applications right next to it and change the same two entries to follow the global setting, and repeat this for every app in that drop down menu.

Looking forward to hear if you got rid of the glitches in that Mai Tai patch!
by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:44 pm
Hi again,

In device manager under system devices there is something called "high definition audio controller" and when enabling this both my monitors thats being showed under Audio inputs and outputs in device manager shows something like this AOC32" (NVIDIA High definition Audio). I dont want any of my monitors to play sounds. Can i just uninstall the High Definition Audio Controller you think? Or should i just disable it?

by JohnBW on Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:48 pm
kaosikosmos wroteHi again,

In device manager under system devices there is something called "high definition audio controller" and when enabling this both my monitors thats being showed under Audio inputs and outputs in device manager shows something like this AOC32" (NVIDIA High definition Audio). I dont want any of my monitors to play sounds. Can i just uninstall the High Definition Audio Controller you think? Or should i just disable it?

I would just disable it in device manager. The extra audio device gets installed to support audio over HDMI to your monitor.

by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:38 pm
All configurations have been made and this is the "final" test.
Looks promising now :+1

But still a bit high, no?
If you think its possible to do even more configuration please let me know.
If not im happy with the result :thumbup:

by JohnBW on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:42 pm
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.

Cheers!

by espenaure on Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:45 pm
JohnBW wrote
Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.

Cheers!

Finally!. Thanks :)

by jpettit on Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 pm
Great thread demonstrating Community Support. :thumbup:

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Skaperverket on Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:10 am
kaosikosmos wroteAll configurations have been made and this is the "final" test.

Great news! Happy for you. :thumbup:

You're right, it is a bit high, but, as I said, you'd probably not notice a difference at all if the numbers were lower. And also: Chasing down those last microseconds can be a very time consuming task, so it's probably not worth it unless it proves necessary. Windows 10 itself has got a bit higher DPC latency than f.i. Windows 7, and the X299 platform itself has got a bit higher DPC latency than f.i. Z270, so you can't compare with any other system report out there anyway. If you get in more DPC latency trouble we'll be able to help, there are still things that can be adjusted, but for now I'd say the wisest would be just to leave it be. DPC latency is like a bottleneck: once it's wide enough it doesn't help making it wider until all the other bottlenecks are dealt with.

P.S.: In general, when installing and configuring Windows on a machine for DAW usage, it's a good idea to check things with Latencymon first, before you install all your DAW software, plug-ins etc. This way you can adjust things freely and it's not such a pain to start from scratch if something goes wrong. I suggest following the guide from Merging from the start (possibly with the exceptions of overclocking and setting priority to background processing). Once everything is configured to your liking with drivers and settings for both performance, looks and behavior, I highly recommend doing an image backup of the system drive. This way you know you have a fine tuned system to your liking that you can start from should something go wrong with the installation of the other software. And, finally, when all the audio software is also installed, configured to your liking and tested for compatbility: Do a new image backup of the drive so that you always know that you have a working system you can start from if an update, some new software or a demo you try does funny things inside your computer. Name this backup image with an easily identifiable name and keep it safe (if you document what has been configured and installed, that's even better). Make new backups from time to time that you store in addition to the original backup, but never erase those two first image backups. And, lastly, have a separate drive (or at the very least a separate partition) for your audio recordings and project folders that you backup every day.
by espenaure on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:16 am
Skaperverket wrote
kaosikosmos wroteAll configurations have been made and this is the "final" test.

You're right, it is a bit high, but, as I said, you'd probably not notice a difference at all if the numbers were lower. And also: Chasing down those last microseconds can be a very time consuming task, so it's probably not worth it unless it proves necessary. Windows 10 itself has got a bit higher DPC latency than f.i. Windows 7, and the X299 platform itself has got a bit higher DPC latency than f.i. Z270, so you can't compare with any other system report out there anyway. If you get in more DPC latency trouble we'll be able to help, there are still things that can be adjusted, but for now I'd say the wisest would be just to leave it be. DPC latency is like a bottleneck: once it's wide enough it doesn't help making it wider until all the other bottlenecks are dealt with.

P.S.: In general, when installing and configuring Windows on a machine for DAW usage, it's a good idea to check things with Latencymon first, before you install all your DAW software, plug-ins etc. This way you can adjust things freely and it's not such a pain to start from scratch if something goes wrong. I suggest following the guide from Merging from the start (possibly with the exceptions of overclocking and setting priority to background processing). Once everything is configured to your liking with drivers and settings for both performance, looks and behavior, I highly recommend doing an image backup of the system drive. This way you know you have a fine tuned system to your liking that you can start from should something go wrong with the installation of the other software. And, finally, when all the audio software is also installed, configured to your liking and tested for compatbility: Do a new image backup of the drive so that you always know that you have a working system you can start from if an update, some new software or a demo you try does funny things inside your computer. Name this backup image with an easily identifiable name and keep it safe (if you document what has been configured and installed, that's even better). Make new backups from time to time that you store in addition to the original backup, but never erase those two first image backups. And, lastly, have a separate drive (or at the very least a separate partition) for your audio recordings and project folders that you backup every day.

I am so happy with the result and want to thank all of you, ecpecially skaperverket for excellent suppot. My system has become more responsive and faster. And the Mai Tai glitches are gone.
Ive learned so much during this process. Its time for an image backup :thumbup:

Speaking of overclocking. In Bios theres a tuning possibility. I can choose between normal, fast and extreme. And the system will tune overclocking automatically. Is this something i should avoid using now?, if i f.i use the fast setting will this override any or all of the confg/settings ive made?

by Skaperverket on Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:55 am
kaosikosmos wrote
Skaperverket wrote

I am so happy with the result and want to thank all of you, ecpecially skaperverket for excellent suppot. My system has become more responsive and faster. And the Mai Tai glitches are gone.
Ive learned so much during this process. Its time for an image backup :thumbup:

Speaking of overclocking. In Bios theres a tuning possibility. I can choose between normal, fast and extreme. And the system will tune overclocking automatically. Is this something i should avoid using now?, if i f.i use the fast setting will this override any or all of the confg/settings ive made?

I am glad to hear that, and you're very welcome, kaosikosmos! Audio glitches on such a powerful system is just such a pain, and no one should be left like that.

Regarding overclocking, yes. I know Pete from Scan use the same motherboard and the same cooler for their builds, and they ship their mildly OC-ed 7800K systems with a clock frequency of 4.4 GHz and what appears to be 1.125 vcore (voltage for the cores). Have a look at his review here: http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/07/18 ... -editions/

There are so many things to tweak in the UEFI BIOS, but I suggest you keep it simple. What's important is that you find a proper match between the core voltage and the desired clock frequency so that your cooler can keep up with it without making too much noise. The ASUS auto settings that you mention are often over dimensioned to be usable for any piece of 7800K f.i. (not all 7800Ks are equal, they will all deliver what Intel has guaranteed, but many will have better silicon and can therefore handle higher frequencies with lower voltages and still be stable), so it will probably generate more heat than necessary. I suggest you find your own settings that match your hardware and needs based on the guides I've linked below, but if you don't want to spend any time on this you could try starting with the regular default settings and then setting something like the following:

Ai Overclock Tuner: Manual
CPU Strap: 100
BCLK Frequency: 100.0000
ASUS MultiCore Enhacement: Disabled
AVX Instruction Core Ratio Negative Offset: 4
AVX-512 Instruction CRNO: 5
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
All-Core Ratio Limit: 44
CPU SVID Support: Disabled
CPU Core Voltage: Maual Mode
CPU Core Voltage Override: 1.125

This is probably close to what Scan deemed desirable in their configuration, and they are quite conservative with these things, so my guess is that it is a good start if you want to just put in some simple settings and be done with it.

Your Skylake-X CPU has got a Fully Integrated Voltage Regulator, so it is important that you don't confuse the various parameters; especially all the different voltage settings. CPU Input Voltage is f.i. not the same as CPU Core Voltage Override.

Before you start I suggest that you at least watch these two videos:
https://youtu.be/GeITi8DrlTI
https://youtu.be/zSUT_Qal2xs

And perhaps read this article:
https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8513/s ... index.html

The videos are for different builds than yours, but they are quite easy to follow and should give some insight and general ideas about the Skylake-X family. Hopefully you'll be enough interested so you don't just copy the settings above but also try to follow a proper guide and find the best settings for your system, but that's up to you.

You should stress test your system to make sure that it's fully stable for any scenario. First you can do a couple of passes of Cinebench. Then move on to something more diverse. I recommend using RealBench for this. It throws a lot of simultaneous tasks at your entire system and does both AVX and non-AVX workloads. AIDA also works well for trying to find some instabilities that the others may have missed.

To monitor temperatures I use HWinfo64. It's fantastic.

The settings mentioned above are a mild overclock that I think will pass the stability test easily. I still highly recommend finding your own settings, though. The chart in the linked article is fairly easy to follow and a good way of doing it.

Let us know if you have some questions! And good luck! :thumbup:

Edit: Oh, and I forgot. On my system I have to enable Turbo Mode in the UEFI BIOS (Advanced\CPU Configuration\CPU Power Management Configuration) for my manual overclock to work. I'm not sure why that is, perhaps it's a bug or perhaps there's something I haven't fully understood. I also have an Asus board, but it's not the same as you've got, so perhaps you don't have to change this. The best way to test it is to check the score in Cinebench and compare the two settings.

And I also forgot to answer your question about overriding settings: I think the Speed Shift settings etc. are independent from the Asus auto settings, but I'm not sure. I've never used the Asus settings and I don't recommend them for a quiet studio machine.

39 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2