10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello all,
Does anyone know how I can (or if it’s possible to) have a script insert a short note (lets say C-1 for a 32nd note duration and velocity around 10) right where my time line cursor is at that moment? If this is doable, I would like to spawn off many variations of this script with different notes with multiple macro’s to achieve what I am looking for.

HERE’S the scoop: I spend lots of hours MIDI editing by inserting notes (painting notes in piano roll view) to get my Kontakt VI’s to change up articulation samples played via key switching. I am attaching a screen print with comments to illustrate this more clearly of a simple example.

Let me tell you things I’ve looked at: First, I don’t believe a simple MACRO can paint a note in. But I would love to be wrong. So I tend to think scripts are going to be the only way. Now I have looked a lot (and still am) in Macro’s and customizing the tool bars. There was one post by Lawrence that really grabbed my attention. It looked to me like he found a way to get some MACROs to execute some specialized SCRIPTs to achieve things that may not be provided in any menu in S1. (That’s pretty much me right there!) but in his example, he mentions zip files and .package files in some of the directories that I am to copy to new areas… I don’t have the exact same files he has in his example. So I hit a road block very early in. I am running S1 V3.5.2. In regards to scripting, I can’t seem to find tons of information on that subject. I think I know about 6 different programming languages. Java scripting is not one of those, but I think I can get the hang of it in minutes. But here, I can’t get anything to properly interface to S1 if I was to write anything.

Any recommendations you can think of?

Attachments
PIANO ROLL.jpg
Piano roll view with placed comments within.

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
Roland Fantom X | Roland RD600
by Lawrence on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:41 am
Scripting can (I think anyway, never tried it) create new note events. I suppose someone could make a new action to create a new midi note. Of course, you can also just use copy and put a note on the clipboard before firing a macro and use Paste to insert one in the macro whenever you want.

Or select any note before firing the macro and have Copy as the first step.
by joeloduca on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:01 pm
Many thanks Lawrence! I was looking into your posts and the code. A few decades ago I use to be a cakewalk user. There they had something called CAL - cakewalk application language. Probably was a distorted version of Basic. But it was useful at times. Let me ask you, is there some kind of book or training out there targeted at scripting? I kind of get the feeling like I am trying gain knowledge of some closely guarded secret.

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
by Lawrence on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm
I had a guide posted here but recently took it down. It was up for a good while. I figured...

1. Anyone interested would have seen it an copied most of it already.
2. I'm far from being a good technical writer and probably could have done it much better.
3. It generated a lot PM questions (probably due to #2) and it started to feel rude not answering them all.

Once you get a handle on the underlying interfaces and the basic package file layout, scripting is pretty easy in Studio One for anyone already familiar with JS. There's code on GitHub from that link in my sig if you want to look some of it over.

And yes, it is kinda of a secret of sorts I suppose as there's no official guide or documentation. It's not a thing they advertise. That cat was let out of its bag by the Studio One X guy.
by snb1 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:18 am
Does this interest you?

Attachments
Trill.gif

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by joeloduca on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:03 am
SNB1: Yes, I like what you have. That's pretty close to what I have been doing all along. What would be pretty cool to reduce some editing time is to be able to totally macro the placing of a note. - it may not seem like a time saving step but if you multiply this by a 100 or so keyswitch events that I might put into just 1 horn track, now you are talking about many minutes of time savings. Here is what I envision: place a 3 or 4 primarily used keyswitches - things like sustained notes, short notes, swells, Stabs etc and place those on macro toolbars. Once I hit this macro button on my toolbar, it inserts a note (like C0) into the track wherever my cursor happens to be. So I could just toss my play cursor where I want this keyswitch, hit the appropriate toolbar button and... bingo! its there! - Now what would be even Cooler yet is to have some javascript analyze the midi note length, and put those key switches in FOR ME! Now your talking about reducing something that might be 2 hours getting reduced to just 15 seconds.

I do a lot of horn arrangement work with VI's. Sometimes its a small horn combo band environment, other times its outright BIG BAND JAZZ. In the big band environment, that's where midi editing can really consume lots of time. -using scripts to bring some sort of intelligence to the case can really reduce editing time. I am a person that knows many computer languages. I would so totally spend the time on a script program to do this. I have confidence I can do the script part. but this program has to have some sort of I/O with Studio1. MIDI has to be analyzed and based on note lengths, a keyswitch is recommended by the script at a specific time in the track. Now how does this get imported back into the track -or put into a new track? How would the MIDI track events get exported to my script so these note lengths can be measured? That's all the I/O that I haven't a clue on.. Without some sort of documentation about scripting, it might be easier to solve world hunger.. So... I don't see scripting working unless its made more available to the general consumer. Macros are the closest solution here.

by snb1 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:42 pm
Nice man. Sounds like some really advance stuff you're trying to accomplish. Cutting time down and making life easier is the name of the game.

Studio One Pro 6.6 64 bit, macOS Monterey 12.6, 14" MacBook Pro M1 (2021),16gb ram, 512 SSD, 8-core CPU

SkipNo Beet
by gregghart on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:24 am
That also interests me (though that's not technically a trill). How did you do that? I don't know the macro stuff yet. Where's a good tutorial?

Win11, 12th Gen Intel Core i7-12700K (3.60 GHz), 32GB Ram. Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 3rd Gen. Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88 Mark 2, Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S61 Mark 1, Presonus FaderPort 8.

https://www.midiboy.com

https://gregghart.bandcamp.com
by snb1 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 pm
Yea you're right, I don't know why I said Trill, I meant to say run. I'll make a private tutorial and post it on here. Or I'll might able to explain it here. I'll see when I get home from work tonight.

SkipNo Beet
by snb1 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:29 pm
Aww man, I can't find a way to share this information with you easily other than giving you the macro so you can check it out for yourself. I need to find a screen recorder that will let me select certain submenus inside Studio One unlike Quicktime player. All I can say is do a search on youtube or a quick read in the manual on macros, get the basic understanding of macros and message me and i'll give you the macro so you can check it out, reverse engineer it or whatever. Sorry bout that.

SkipNo Beet

10 posts
Page 1 of 1