5 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, I'm returning to using S1 after using it intermittently.

I recently installed Windows 10.
Pre-WIn-10 projects having spikes to 100%, and accompanying audio stutters.
Very low track counts, up to 10, 0-3 plugs per track. 25%-ish CPU usage according to S1, with these crazy spikes.

I start searching for and implementing PC optimization guides, have done some of those. i thought I did them a few years ago when I was still on Windows 7 Professional, but hey, I have no problem doing them again - I guess Win10 didn't remember them.

Also, I started updating any laptop-specific Win10 drivers that I can (Some could be updated, I guess I hadn't done those in a while, but some didn't exist Win 10).

As I said - am not done with the optimization, but I check old projects - everything has settled down to 15-25% CPU (i..e, it jumps around in that range, even if the song is stopped).

Then I open this one older project, like 45 plugins total.
It's a little out of hand - A few instance of MNotepad are on, bouncing ever few seconds from a few percent to 100 percent cpu.

But S1's own Red Light District is doing it too.

To boot, all S1's drums in the 'Sounds' section are gone. I re-download them. That seems to go fine.

I'm on S1 2.6.5.30360

I can finish the optimization guide I found on Sweetwater's site, or do a better one you recommend.
Of course I'll turn off MNotepad, and finish downloading the rest of S1's instruments, etc.

But, what is going on?
Why the 100% CPU spikes every few seconds on a project that never had any? (and on other projects - though those seem to have vanished).
Why the missing drum loops?

I know this is a lot of problems, and obviously I need to finish re-doing the PC optimizations. I'm just a little surprised to have previously fine projects sound like popcorn with Win 10.

Am I missing something, or should I just keep on keeping on?

Thanks for you insights

Lenovo T420, Model 4180
Core i7-2640M (2 cores) CPU @ 2.80GHz
8 GB RAM
x64-based PC
Originally sold: 2012

Windows 10 Pro, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.248, 64 bit

Studio One 2.6.5.30.360
Interface: Babyface (not the Babyface Pro)

OS, S1 & all files operating off the Lenovo's only internal drive. That was fine until after the Win10 install..
by Tacman7 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:00 am
Good to get your specs in your signature. So this is an old laptop?

What CPU is that using and how much ram, and what's your interface?

I prefer a clean install over an upgrade for sure.

Your missing loops are a bunch of files, either they got deleted or you need to find them and show S1 where they're at.

A lot of optimization is about finding out what's running. A dedicated machine can have a lot of windows services disabled or set to manual so you can run them if you need them. Then any TSR's that are in there. A lot of programs have little programs running all the time to help you download their latest version or other things, stop all that.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by WaterlooSunset on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:48 am
I do run Windows Defender with every S1 path excluded. I also disable it from time to time. I have Adobe reader installed. I have Guitar Pro installed. Some other minimal stuff. My PC is on-line, but its sole use is music. I have no additional MS Office apps, I use built-in Notepad or Wordpad for any docs I need.
I get acceptable everything in terms on running with low buffers and CPU at this point.
Now that is quite the lead in. Point, This stuff can be tricky.
I started getting what sounded like a paper tear randomly after some minutes of tracking. I found Adobe update manager was running after a manual update. I stopped it and set it to manual in services. It would load some minutes after a reboot but not right away. I didn't catch it for a while. It was set in Windows task scheduler to do a delayed start, so even disabled is was still launching and loading, and when it did, the tearing sound. I assume it launched then contacted the Internet causing the grief. I may have one more of these gremlins left.

I do believe my video card interaction with the OS is still a big one. If I launch notepad while S1 is playing, I don't get much of an issue. If I launch Chrome, then I get scraping and tearing sounds. Background stuff really affects my computer, maybe more than others.
Just keep digging.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by WaterlooSunset on Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:23 am
Ok, so I am on Windows 8.1. Microsoft pain is not always limited to a version :-)
So i fired up my DAW computer. Waited for computer to stabilize after login. Loaded S1. Loaded a previous song. Started jamming just using it as a backing track to work out some riffs. I got some crackles soon after starting. I had no crackles the night b efore. I said bleep to myself. Opened Task manager to see what was going on. Now this is a new one for me (or i forgot). I noticed something called "Microsoft compatibility telemetry" running \which i never see running. It was using the disk real heavy. I Googled how to disable this. Turns out i already disabled it yet it still ran. This is part of the customer experience thing. Maybe disabling it only disabled the phone home part, not the random scan. It did quit after 5 minutes.

Only reason to mention this is. With continual updates, MS Windows optimization is like playing "Whack a Mole"
Everything is not what is seems under the hoodie. Never give up.

Win 10 latest, MSI G41 Z87, I4770K (no OC), 16GB, NVIDIA 710, 2x27" Monitors 1Tb SSD, 500G SSD, 3 platter drives. SYBA Firewire SD-PEX30009, FS Mobile. Monitor2USB, S1 Pro 5 current.
Hobbiest - Mainly Guitars, UVI, Soundtoys, NI, IK, EZ2, SD3, GR5, TH3, Amplitube 4 and 5, Waves GR,
Korg 707, NanoPAD2, MicroKey2. Eris 5, B2031A, 2013 R1200GS-LC.
by JohnBW on Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:15 pm
Best tool I can suggest is grab the free Windows Sysinternals "Autoruns".

> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysint ... s/autoruns

This utility, which has the most comprehensive knowledge of auto-starting locations of any startup monitor, shows you what programs are configured to run during system bootup or login, and when you start various built-in Windows applications like Internet Explorer, Explorer and media players. These programs and drivers include ones in your startup folder, Run, RunOnce, and other Registry keys. Autoruns reports Explorer shell extensions, toolbars, browser helper objects, Winlogon notifications, auto-start services, and much more. Autoruns goes way beyond other autostart utilities.

Studio One Pro v5.5.2, Win10 Pro

5 posts
Page 1 of 1