63 postsPage 2 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4
j0001s wroteI don't think that S1 has to apologize for anything from a feature perspective. Much of what has been added in recent releases from Logic, Cubase, and ProTools has been in Studio One for some time. .

Agree. It's mostly based on what you personally do or want to do and/or what you may or may not have left behind in another product that's not here yet. Case in point, the demographics of Studio One users tend to vary and guys like Matt who record and mix audio really couldn't care less about the midi stuff, while other electronic producers may more notice some things they had before not being there yet.

It's really more the case that the electronic music demographic is larger by nature, and much more vocal. It's all contextual, especially in this class of workstation (Cubase, Logic, Reaper, etc, etc) that are pretty much trying to please multiple different types of users.

I'm a big Studio One fan and supporter but I also have a long history of working with midi sequencers like (mostly) Cubase, and any objective viewing of it wouldn't dismiss those differences out of hand.

Time heals all wounds. Users with the patience to hang in will be, in the end, rewarded for their patience (as is always the case anywhere). In the meantime, do what you have to do to get the work done. If that means occasionally loading up FLStudio or something else, I wouldn't hesitate to do that.
by garyanderson5 on Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:56 am
rhetrick wroteI was one of the early adopters (1st day it was ever released) and was coming off years of Logic Platinum for PC.

It comes down to this. Nothing is easier to use and navigate quickly than S1. I've done two full albums on it, dozens upon dozens of other songs and every time I open it, I find myself in a rabid state of creativity. No other DAW comes close. Not even remotely.

Now Presonus, could we please add 'capture last take as recording' so you can be perfect? PLEASE?!

Agreed :thumbup:

Its not perfect but the creativity from studio one's workflow is ridiculous. I used Cubase sinse 1998 and loved it. Tried all of them to be honest and Studio one is just a music creation beast. It's far from perfect but in my eye's its still young and improving so lets see what the future brings in terms of better cpu efficency, gui tweaks, features and maby more Instuments and plugins.

I can live without all the fancy crapola just keep it simple and stable the rest is fluff you simply don't need.

Best Regards to Presonus and all you Studio One users out there.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Windows Pro 11 23H2, 13900K, Z790 Aorus Master, 64GB 32x2 G.Skill Trident Z C30 RAM, 3X 2TB Samsung 980 PRO, RX6650XT GFX Card, Corsair RM1000X PSU, Studio One Latest Version & Older versions, Baby Face Pro FS. Nektar T6,
by PreAl on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 am
garyanderson5 wrote
rhetrick wroteI can live without all the fancy crapola just keep it simple and stable the rest is fluff you simply don't need.

Yup. IMHO the "fluff" is where Sonar went wrong, they spent far too much time trying to build a feature list, add ons and content (whilst puffing their chest) rather than concentrating on what customers use every single day.

I think Studio One has got this right, version 4 is going to be a critical release however so all eyes will be on this imho. I am very curious as to what direction they will take, I hope it's simply more of the same, they are simply doing it right (apart from the documentation).

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by PreAl on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:21 am
Anybody else?

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by hotjams on Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:04 am
Studio One why

I have used lots of different daws in the past. I have tried Cubase, Sonar, Ableton, Reaper and now Studio One. As I moved from one daw to the next I learned a lot about what a DAW can do and more importantly what I want it to do. All of these DAWS are really good, capable platforms that really good music can be made from. However, Studio One has all the features that I FIND IMPORTANT. It does all of the things I want and does them really well. It is the best daw FOR ME. What I’m saying in, start with a daw, get really good at it, you will find most daws do basically the same things. After you have a solid background in a daw then you will be able to look around and find a daw that has a feature set that suits your style the best. For me that's Studio One. Logic Pro would be a close second. But once again, this is from my perspective. You need to find one from your perspective. That takes time.

For me the top items are…
Drag and drop
Integration with Melodyne (big big plus)
Macros
Key Commands
Audio Bend
Ease of Quantizing
Ease of Audio editing.
Multi-Instruments
The audio signal flow control (spliter)
GUI
Arranger Track
Comping
Grove extraction
Workflow
Scratch Pad
Last edited by hotjams on Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2017 Macbook Pro,Quad Core I7 2.9Ghz, 16G , 256G SSD, S13.4 pro, Apollo Twin Duo, Samsung 256 T-3 SSD, Samsung 500 T-3 SSD, iRig 38 Key, Strat Clone HSS, Taylor 714, Samsung Pc I7 dual core, 8g ram, 1tb SSD, EZDrummer, Jamstix, BIAB PC and Mac, Melodyne Studio 4, EZKeys,
by Skaperverket on Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:04 am
I agree. I relatively often discuss DAWs with friends and colleagues, and we always disagree on some parts, so I guess it truly is a matter of taste and what you're used to. Most people seem to love S1's ease of use and intuitive workflow, but they say they won't cross over just yet because some features are lacking or they can't stand the look of the GUI (colors, 2D etc.). Personally, when I work with other people and they use other DAWs (in my case they always do), I see them do things in a certain way and I feel a bit envious when I see those capabilities*, but, then again, a moment later we bump into a thing or two** where I'm thinking I wouldn't want to be stuck with such a "stupid" DAW and I feel confident that I chose the right DAW (for me).

* =
Track templates and session data
Plugins and sends visible on every track in arrange view
Choice between balance and pan on stereo channels in the mixer
Automation takes
Post fader inserts (and pre insert sends?)
Dry/wet mix knob on all plugins
S-shaped event fades
4-point editing
Automatable macro knobs
Modulators (Bitwig)
Option to group plugin parameters on grouped channels

Drum racks
Drum editor
More powerful MIDI editing
More customization options for everything (colors, fader colors, per channel meter choice, other default behavior)
Plugin sandboxing
Better integration with external editors
Search for (filtrate out) tracks in large arrangements
The ability to convert a channel from say a regular stereo channel to a bus
Different ways of dealing with routing of sends and side chain keying
Option to allow feedback loops in routing
Control room type of features
Script friendly with big scripting community and lots of options
DAW manufacturers personally engaging in online discussions about any part of the product

**=
Menus and submenus instead of ability to drag and drop mostly anything anywhere
Record into Melodyne instead of ARA
Lack of folder tracks instead for folders that can even act as busses (or VCAs)
No smart tool
Outrageous pricing or subscription models
No way to use latest version on an older OS
Terrible copy protection methods
Unresponsive on start and stop or when inserting plugins while playing back instead of S1's fluid feel
Flying things around or making new song files instead of using Scratch Pad when trying different arrangements
And lots of other stuff that I can't remember right now

All in all S1's got pretty much all I need, and I'm loving it. As long as bugs are fixed and everything works flawlessly, I'm not complaining. Some of the features and abilities that some of the other DAWs have that I mention in the first list would be very welcome as a bonus.

A heavily customized Reaper is probably the DAW that for me would be the runner up, with Cubase and Logic right behind. We'll see what happens when Reaper (and Logic) get ARA2 and whatever else is in the pipeline, but if S1 becomes/stays bug free, I'm sure I'll continue to feel at home here.
by Royarn on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:52 am
Really enjoying it now I'm getting to know it, but still keep popping back to Sonar for some stuff. Glad Sonar is being rescued because I think I'll always have a place for it in my little studio. But Studio one is very easy to use and getting comfortable with it does'nt take too long.

Roy

INTEL HASWELL Core i5 4670K Z87-K MB, 16 gig DDR3 ram, 250 gig ssd 1 x 250 gig 1 x 1TB sata 2 drives,Presonus Faderport,  Motif ES 6, Focusrite 8i6. Windows 10Pro 64 bit. Sonar Platinum Lifetime Updates.(HaHa) :D Presonus Studio One 3 and 4 Pro.
by PreAl on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:47 am
Royarn wroteReally enjoying it now I'm getting to know it, but still keep popping back to Sonar for some stuff. Glad Sonar is being rescued because I think I'll always have a place for it in my little studio. But Studio one is very easy to use and getting comfortable with it does'nt take too long.

Roy

After reading the Studio One manual I think I will never feel the need to get back to Sonar. There isn't anything I feel that is missing that kills my workflow other than perhaps templates? (Phase buttons, better metering and gain knobs would be good to have but I can cope without it). Other than this why would you want to go back to Sonar? (apart from existing projects that need finishing).

by daniellesaux on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 am
I'm of the same opinion. I used Sonar for years without any other reference point. After switching to Studio One, I'm realizing there is life after Cakewalk! :) My workflow is much more efficient. Everything just seems more stable. Aside from transferring projects from Sonar to Studio One, I don't plan on going back either.

I am very happy for those who do plan on staying with Sonar, They now have some hope with the BandLab deal. I really hope they get what they're wishing for!

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by wallygontowski on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:24 pm
PreAl wroteAfter reading the Studio One manual I think I will never feel the need to get back to Sonar. There isn't anything I feel that is missing that kills my workflow other than perhaps templates?.....

There's a rumor that templates will be available in the release of Studio One 4 Pro. I just started it... :roll:

Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat, Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Pro, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 2 X 4TB Internal Hard Drives, 3 X 4TB External BU Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors, Custom built desk with integral Rack mount.

My WEB site: http://www.gontowski.com/music
by neiljordan1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am
I moved recently from Pro Tools to Studio One and love it so much more. The user experience is infinitely better thought through in S1, and I'm much happier working in it.

That said, there are a few things I miss from Pro Tools, and even from GarageBand before that, which S1 can't do.

Seems likely that v4 isn't too far away, and if they cover a good number of the top-voted feature requests, it will be a truly exceptional system.

Some of my top wishlist items are the following (please vote for them if you haven't already!):
Last edited by neiljordan1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Studio One Pro v6
2021 MacBook Pro: 10-Core M1 Max Chip, 64GB Unified Memory, SSD Storage
macOS 14
Motu M4 USB-C Interface, 48K Sample Rate
by neiljordan1 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:01 pm
Also, Celemony have said that PreSonus are working on implementing ARA2 ("Presonus, for example, is currently working on a version of Studio One featuring the new technology").

Seeing as v2 includes the ability for plugins to share Chord track info, I'm hoping that means we are likely to see Chord tracks in S1 sometime soon.

Studio One Pro v6
2021 MacBook Pro: 10-Core M1 Max Chip, 64GB Unified Memory, SSD Storage
macOS 14
Motu M4 USB-C Interface, 48K Sample Rate
by daniellesaux on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:42 pm
neiljordan1 wroteI moved recently from Pro Tools to Studio One and love it so much more. The user experience is infinitely better thought through in S1, and I'm much happier working in it.

That said, there are a few things I miss from Pro Tools, and even from GarageBand before that, which S1 can't do.

Seems likely that v4 isn't too far away, and if they cover a good number of the top-voted feature requests, it will be a truly exceptional system.

Some of my top wishlist items are the following (please vote for them if you haven't already!):

Just voted for all of these great FRs!

Peace!

Dan

PreSonus Studio One Professional 6.0.1
Windows 11 Home Edition 64 bit
Rocket Lake Z590 Desktop PC with Intel i5-11600K processor @ 4.60 GHz / 32G RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 750
LG Full HD Monitor 1920 x 1080 at 60Hz 16:9 Aspect Ratio
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB System Drive and HDWD110 1TB Audio File Drive, Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB and Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB Samples Drives, Seagate BUP Slim BK 2TB USB Backup Drive
PreSonus 1824C Audio Interface
PreSonus Faderport 2018
PreSonus Studio Channel, Klark Teknik EQP-KT, KT-2A and 76-KT
Check out my website http://www.dlsmusic.net
by Robdp on Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:39 pm
I think Studio One is without question one of the Best DAWs available right now. I think unlike a lot of other programs it's well rounded and caters to all types of musician, producer or composer....

My only gripe is that they've left it this long without session/data import which in my opinion is not only amateurish but one of the reasons I know many PT users can't take it seriously.

Having a huge template for a composer or mix engineer is one of the ways a lot of people like to work... the mere fact that I can't import any elements into another song is weak. I really hope they update this soon. Everything else rocks and I wouldn't care if thats the only fix they did for a long time.

Producer/writer
Mac Studio Ultra - OSX 11.2 - Studio One v5 - Apollo x8 - Dangerous Convert 2 / AD+ - SSL Fusion - Neve 8816 - LLD Silver Bullet - Dangerous Monitor ST - Faderport 1 - Console One - Amphions /BareFoots
by PreAl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:11 am
I found something else I don't like about Studio One (and believe me it's kinda hard to, the obvious has already been stated) is the resolution the waveforms are displayed, very pixelated - yuk! Please improve this - this should look cool not 1990's LOL.

Capture.PNG

Still it's functional...

by Bbd on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:28 am
@PreAI

My resolution looks better than your screen shot.
Do you have your DPI settings setup for hi-res?

https://www.screencast.com/t/dUhmzSg5ecd

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by PreAl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 am
Bbd wrote@PreAI

My resolution looks better than your screen shot.
Do you have your DPI settings setup for hi-res?

https://www.screencast.com/t/dUhmzSg5ecd

I think so. This is the worst example, the waveform generated in realtime when recording. It rasturises better on playbook but still isn't great.

by Bbd on Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:02 am
I would check your DPI settings once again and compare no scaling to higher settings.
I don't see the typd of low quality you are (hence my post above).
Using a 22" monitor and now a 40" smart TV, I have now have Enable High DPI mode set at 150%.
Any wave file looks fine on my side.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by PreAl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:19 am
Bbd wroteI would check your DPI settings once again and compare no scaling to higher settings.
I don't see the typd of low quality you are (hence my post above).
Using a 22" monitor and now a 40" smart TV, I have now have Enable High DPI mode set at 150%.
Any wave file looks fine on my side.

My DPI settings are totally fine, I promise. Overriding them on a per application basis makes them worse. No issues with other applications. Trust me on this please.

Can you send me a screenshot similar to mine, whilst you are recording something (the main editing window)... Maximized?

Note it's important to show it whist you are recording, the editor window maximized, as during playback (after recording) it rasterizes the image. Even then though it still could be better as well even after this. I showed the worst example. The rest of the UI is pefectly clear, just the waveforms and very low res. Thx.

by Bbd on Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:07 pm
I don't see the poor quality graphics on input record like you do.

https://www.screencast.com/t/LngN672AQn

Bbd

63 postsPage 2 of 4
1, 2, 3, 4