87 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
I'm having a problem with this release with my external devices. Basically I had my Korg Kronos setup up as my midi device in 3.5.4. As some people experienced, the devices were messed up by this update. I deleted them and added my midi input and midi output setup as before.

Problem. Midi input comes in from keyboard and records, but midi does not go out back to keyboard. I set local control on Kronos to OFF so that the midi data from Studio One will play the sounds on the keyboard.

A strange situation occurs in my testing. If I hit the reconnect button on my external devices list, I now find I can record and hear the Keyboard playing. Then I want to play back the midi again to hear it again, there is no sound from my keyboard. Funny thing is if I go back and reconnect the external devices again, the keyboard spews out the sounds instantly on the reconnect without any BPM control, just note after note at an astounding speed.

Therefore it seems that I can reconnect to get the midi in and out working, but I have to reconnect each time I want to play back. This is frustrating and makes it almost impossible to work. The only change to my music computer has been this update.

Also, I have Sonar on the machine and tested the same setup in Sonar terms, this is still working perfectly in Sonar.

Given that reconnecting is causing the midi to flood out to my keyboard, it seems that Studio One is buffering the midi, but since the connection is lost constantly, I have to reconnect every time I record or play back any midi.

Using VST instruments there is no problem which makes me think that something has changed in the writing to my midi ports with this new release.
by sebastianholtzer on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:05 pm
Bad news:
It is still not working. Same Instruments and Samples at the same Position are affected, but with variations now (where the automation does stop and which instrument is affected). If i delete some hungry Instruments all becomes wired and goes totally crazy from that song position at around 5:55.

I´ll make a rollback tomorrow to 3.5.3 to have a look if it`s there and not related to a maxed out CPU.
I use no realtime Rendering in Windows 10 Pro 64Bit with an i7 7700 and 16Gb Ram.
As far as my knowledge is, even a maxed out CPU (around 80 to 90%) should render fine, while using no realtime rendering??? And if there is an issue, the programm should inform me with a box and a yellow Message like it does in realtime rendering, right???? I had not Warning Message so far.
by jpettit on Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:59 pm
Just curious how many tracks?
They thought they had the render issue with automation fixed about 2-3 releaes ago.
It a hard one to pin down as it usually show up like five minutes in on large lengthy songs.
It usually take putting the song on a server so they can download it to catch the failure.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by sebastianholtzer on Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 pm
jpettit wroteJust curious how many tracks?
They thought they had the render issue with automation fixed about 2-3 releaes ago.
It a hard one to pin down as it usually show up like five minutes in on large lengthy songs.
It usually take putting the song on a server so they can download it to catch the failure.

66 tracks, 149 channels at 8:42min lenght. I know that's large but it's electronic music and there are definetly larger tracks out there.

Do they need the whole files (cache, audio, image, etc.) Or only the songfile? Tomorrow i'll upload it as soon as i get an anwser from you and will give you the file then per pm, ok? We have night here and i'm in my bed and try to sleep.
by jpettit on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:06 pm
It is best to zip the directory for the song.
Also you will need ton put your specs in your signature.
See mine for a link.

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by sebastianholtzer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 am
jpettit wroteIt is best to zip the directory for the song.
Also you will need ton put your specs in your signature.
See mine for a link.

OK, will do that in the next two hours and i`ll put in a Readme File with a short description to which Tracks are affected, after which bar it happends and stuff like this and my whole System Specs.
by sebastianholtzer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:52 am
Ok jpettit, i did send you a PM with the download link to the file a few minutes ago.
The readme.text is inside the .zip Folder.
Please check your PM. If something is needed, my Phone Number and E-Mail is in that readme.

Have a nice weekend.

Edit:
Forget it.
I think i found it. I was looking at the Song Information and it said Songlenght 5:00min.
So i decided to put the Marker to Bar 302. The Marker was at this Position where the bug came. In the old file this did not fixed the issue with the Marker but now in the new it seems to.
I did one Mixdown now and this seems to be fine. Holy * i hope that was it!

Will do i few one more tonight to make sure all is fine.
by jpettit on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:11 am
Great!

I will wait for your results.

by sebastianholtzer on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm
jpettit wroteGreat!

I will wait for your results.

Really, really sad news but with much of detail now:

It works definetly not!!!
Now sometimes the Bassdrum is missing from the Beginning or later at the 6th minute and so on.
The Bug seems to do what he wants now after the Marker is at Bar 302.

But I found out, that activating these two Settings:
- Rendering between Song Start/End Marker
- Write Tempo to Audiofile

seems to work in most of the cases. I´m sorry that i don`t have the time to try it the whole day, but i tested this setting two times and it worked at the positions. I don`t have time to hear every Mixdown the whole 9 minutes. But i´m sure the mix was OK.

I deleted the old .zip File in my Google drive and i`m uploading a new .zip Folder right now.
It`s called "Paintings! - For the Presonus Anti Bug Team".
It has an updated readme.txt with some new informations about the Variations of the Bug, a possible User fix to what seems to work, and it`s the full rebuild of my Track.
The old one had wrong Delay Settings on all of my Repeater Units, so that you can easily think this could be the bug cause these Samples/Instruments are affected cause they sound totally off and squashed and really don`t match to the song.

I´m writing a PM to you and give you the new Link to my Google Drive.

Edit:
You got a PM with the Link. Please check your PM.
by jameswhite4 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:42 pm
lawrencealudwick wroteI'm having a problem with this release with my external devices. Basically I had my Korg Kronos setup up as my midi device in 3.5.4. As some people experienced, the devices were messed up by this update. I deleted them and added my midi input and midi output setup as before.

Problem. Midi input comes in from keyboard and records, but midi does not go out back to keyboard. I set local control on Kronos to OFF so that the midi data from Studio One will play the sounds on the keyboard.

A strange situation occurs in my testing. If I hit the reconnect button on my external devices list, I now find I can record and hear the Keyboard playing. Then I want to play back the midi again to hear it again, there is no sound from my keyboard. Funny thing is if I go back and reconnect the external devices again, the keyboard spews out the sounds instantly on the reconnect without any BPM control, just note after note at an astounding speed.

Therefore it seems that I can reconnect to get the midi in and out working, but I have to reconnect each time I want to play back. This is frustrating and makes it almost impossible to work. The only change to my music computer has been this update.

Also, I have Sonar on the machine and tested the same setup in Sonar terms, this is still working perfectly in Sonar.

Given that reconnecting is causing the midi to flood out to my keyboard, it seems that Studio One is buffering the midi, but since the connection is lost constantly, I have to reconnect every time I record or play back any midi.

Using VST instruments there is no problem which makes me think that something has changed in the writing to my midi ports with this new release.

I'm having the virtually same problem with my Faderport. It sends data now but doesn't receive any data, nor light up. But upon exiting Studio One, the Faderport lights up and moves frantically for a second or so before finally stopping.

Any suggestions welcome. Could I roll back to earlier version?
by sebastianholtzer on Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:46 am
jameswhite4 wrote
lawrencealudwick wroteI'm having a problem with this release with my external devices. Basically I had my Korg Kronos setup up as my midi device in 3.5.4. As some people experienced, the devices were messed up by this update. I deleted them and added my midi input and midi output setup as before.

I'm having the virtually same problem with my Faderport. It sends data now but doesn't receive any data, nor light up. But upon exiting Studio One, the Faderport lights up and moves frantically for a second or so before finally stopping.

Any suggestions welcome. Could I roll back to earlier version?

This Update is really a problem.
Even the Play-Button at the Transport Bar does not work and the Performance Led is dead then. Had this now three times yesterday and today.

Btw:
The third test with the activated Settings
- Render between Song Start/End Marker

worked. So I would say that is a User fix to work with.
by santeripilli on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 am
scissorkicks wroteThe release notes mention that an "Audio Units crash" bug has been fixed. My experience of 3.5.5 so far is that audio units are very unstable. In particular, removing them (or disabling them) causes very regular crashes for me. Anyone else experiencing similar? Any advice? I'm trying to migrate to VSTs but it's a slow process.

2016 Macbook Pro Touchbar 13"
16GB RAM
Loads of plugins (this problem is definitely not tied to any in particular)

Hey scissorkicks,

I do use a lot of plugins (like, really FX-heavy songs), and there always has been a direct correlation between the amount of plugins and probability of crashing. Although, I have to admit with the latest revision it has gotten a bit better.

I'll say it: the FX/signal processing code is simply unstable. But of course, this has never been admitted when I've brought it up, but rather, the Presonus' Support wants you to contact the developer of plugin that is crashing (in my case SoundToys for example; this manufacturer is well known and their plugins are used all over the field in ProTools-based studios. As of a sidenote, they don't include Presonus Studio One 3 as a supported platform).

But this is a nowadays thing. There's no such thing as faulty code architecture, only a "whoopsie" and a "doopsie".

- Santeri

P.S. : Fair to add though, that unstable 3rd party plugin code probably is always the main culprit in crashing DAWs. There is a way, however, how these events are protected by the software code. Not the strong feat in S1, nah-uh.

Apple MacBook Pro 13" (Early 2011):
2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR RAM, 500 GB HD (7200 RPM),
OSX version 10.12.4. (Sierra),

Interface: TC Electronic Konnekt 6 FireWire

Presonus Studio One 3, newest version, always (except when too buggy to work with daily).
by sebastianholtzer on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:16 pm
Just to inform:

Seems to be luck with that Settings. The fourth Mixdown did not work.
by jpettit on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:05 pm
sebastianholtzer wroteJust to inform:

What settings?
?

by sebastianholtzer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:04 am
jpettit wrote
sebastianholtzer wroteJust to inform:

What settings?
?

Yes. This does`nt work. It just seemed to be luck that this did worked three times successively
or it just worked, cause i shaked the frozen box. Don`t know if i did or not.
But i can tell you it happends even in 3.5.4 and 3.5.3. regardless of which level of the version you use (Artist with Upgrades, Pro, Demo)

I asked before if it should render that way i`m using it, without bouncing the midi tracks before, cause while rendering, my CPU usage is between 79% and exactly 90%.
I had no answer yet. Would be nice if you could give me one if you like to.
I have to change my habits in doing music then.

If i understad you correct you said in the PM that there are many 3rd Party Plugins in use, that could be triggering this bug.
I mean OK for sure, but the DAW is`nt made to use PreSonus PlugIns only, right? If so, please tell my why it works without errors during playback in the arranger (?) - is there a technical difference?
I had only a faulty Plugin and it caused the red 666 Bug without Audio and this was long before.

Don`t get me wrong: I`m not going to blame you or anything else.
I just want to help you giving the possibility to fix this, cause it`s good for you and good for me cause you know what the Problem is with electronic Music. A track goes around 6 to 9 minutes. Sometimes longer. I´m at 9:10 now, cause i needed to expand one part to get more into excess. You said it`s a really hard one (bug[?]) to pin down. This would mean that this DAW isn`t currently recommended to make professional sounding Electronic Music? This would be really sad, cause i think it`s a real good one (without this bug).
My opinion is that, there must be an act of sabotage behind the scenes in that code. I think you need Sgt. Rico.
by jpettit on Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:40 am
Well, as I was trying to explain to you in the p.m. this song is very complex and has hundreds if not thousands variables that could be causing the issue.

I know you’ve put in a lot of time into trying to isolate the issue, but more exhaustive and larger steps actually needed to isolate it.

There are 2 to 3 fundamental routes you can use to begin large scale isolation. In all cases make a copy of the song because you’re going to be doing considerable open heart surgery :-)

- use transform on each track. Transform about 1/3 of the tracks and then render to see if the issue has gone away. If not continue with the next third and then the last third etc.

- literally remove 1/3 of the tracks and render hang attention to the issue.

- use the disable plug-in function to do large scale isolation 1/3 of the tracks at a time.

- in all these approaches, when the issue disappears go back one step and divide that portion of tracks by half agin until you’ve isolated the actual track/ plugin that’s actually causing the issue.

Yes it’s a lot of work but you’ll get the satisfaction of actually helping developers understand the Issue area that prevents you from producing such large scale EDM style music.

I might add that you are the best person on the planet to actually do this work because it’s one of your unique plug-ins or a combinations of some of your plug-ins that are exhibiting issue.

by sebastianholtzer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:33 am
jpettit wroteWell, as I was trying to explain to you in the p.m. this song is very complex and has hundreds if not thousands variables that could be causing the issue.

I know you’ve put in a lot of time into trying to isolate the issue, but more exhaustive and larger steps actually needed to isolate it.

There are 2 to 3 fundamental routes you can use to begin large scale isolation. In all cases make a copy of the song because you’re going to be doing considerable open heart surgery :-)

- use transform on each track. Transform about 1/3 of the tracks and then render to see if the issue has gone away. If not continue with the next third and then the last third etc.

- literally remove 1/3 of the tracks and render hang attention to the issue.

- use the disable plug-in function to do large scale isolation 1/3 of the tracks at a time.

- in all these approaches, when the issue disappears go back one step and divide that portion of tracks by half agin until you’ve isolated the actual track/ plugin that’s actually causing the issue.

Yes it’s a lot of work but you’ll get the satisfaction of actually helping developers understand the Issue area that prevents you from producing such large scale EDM style music.

I might add that you are the best person on the planet to actually do this work because it’s one of your unique plug-ins or a combinations of some of your plug-ins that are exhibiting issue.

Let me be lazy please, ok? :P I know you like it that way too :D
That`s really hard to understand. Google translate told me (I don`t need Google all the time cause my basic english was good enough) about ..."- in all these approaches,..."...

"- Wenn das Problem verschwindet, gehen Sie bei allen diesen Ansätzen einen Schritt zurück und teilen diesen Teil der Tracks durch eine halbe Minute, bis Sie den tatsächlichen Track / das eigentliche Plug-in, der das Problem verursacht, isoliert haben."

I don`t understand what to do. You mean if the bug is gone, i have to divide the track for half an minute? Is this right what google told me? So for example if the Track/Stem Lenght is 3:20min, i have to do following bill: 3:20min : 0:30min ?
Is this correct??? I don`t understand the sense.

If not:
I know that it was running fine till i rebuilded the last 4 Submixes. One was the "Harmonys", the other one was "Mono Harmonys" the "Bass FX" and the last one was the "Melodys" Submix.
Means that the following Busses and Submixes were working fine without issues when i had (only one) Mixdown test at this stage of rebuilding.
- Main
- Main FX
- Drum FX
- Trigger
- Bass Drum
- Snare FX
- Percussion
- Breakbeat
- Bassline
- Vocal
- FX
Depending on this information:
Can i start with the 4 Submixes because the problem seems to be there? Or is the engine working like a brain (just to imagine) where - for example - theTrigger Bus causes the Issue when the 4 missing Submixes are finally in, so that the first fine working Trigger is the guilty one because everything is spread in wide variations in that brain???
This would really help me to know where to start from but i`m sure a technician from Presonus could do this much better than me.
by jpettit on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:49 am
"Tracks durch eine halbe Minute."
I think this is where the translator failed because I had a typo. (not minute) (keine Minute)

In simplest terms, remove things until it works, then add them back (1/2 at a time ) until it does not.

Einfach ausgedrückt, entfernen Sie die Dinge, bis sie funktioniert, und fügen Sie sie zurück (1/2 auf einmal), bis sie nicht mehr funktionieren..

Isolieren :-)

I will PM Ari to help you.

by sebastianholtzer on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:09 pm
jpettit wrote"Tracks durch eine halbe Minute."
I think this is where the translator failed because I had a typo. (not minute) (keine Minute)

In simplest terms, remove things until it works, then add them back (1/2 at a time ) until it does not.

Einfach ausgedrückt, entfernen Sie die Dinge, bis sie funktioniert, und fügen Sie sie zurück (1/2 auf einmal), bis sie nicht mehr funktionieren..

Isolieren :-)

I will PM Ari to help you.

OK. Think will be better for me to get that explained again by him. Anyways...thank you very much.
by jpettit on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:34 am
Sebastian

Unfortunately, Ari is too busy at the moment.

This could take you more than an hour just to get it down to a smaller set of tracks that have the issue.

I can move this thread to the German forum if you think it would give you more help from German-speaking users?

Isolation ist der Prozess der Eliminierung

87 postsPage 3 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5