8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi all,
Weird question:

I know it is possible to Setup an Instrument track to route a MIDI (I know, S1 doesn't use MIDI, per se) to the input of a VST, but can the same instrument track be configured to send MIDI to MULTIPLE VSTs?

Here's the specific application I'm looking for (and yes...I know that there are other ways to do this such as multiple instruments, or even multiple audio files...):

Setup an Instrument track with it's output set to a CableGuys VolumeShaper plugin on another channel. The Volumeshaper (set to use MIDI input as the trigger) then "faux sidechains" the track that it's inserted on (basically, a trance gate type effect).

What I'd like to do is use the same Instrument track to route to mulitple instances of VolumeShaper on different tracks. I've seen this done with the Vengeance MultiBand Sidechain plugin, using their Midi Bay plugin (which acts as sort of a Midi router), but I wanted to see if I could do this in S1 without any other 3rd party plugins.

Any thoughts or ideas?

P.S. - I'm a Cakewalk Sonar refugee and so far loving S1. Workflow is extremely intuitive and I can now get things done a whole lot faster than in Sonar!

-Thanks
Todd
by niles on Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm
There are unfortunately no actual MIDI sends, so you can't send data from one Instrument track to multiple devices in the song. You can however send MIDI data from one device to another using direct inputs.

Below is a short video where the midiMonitor plugin is the one I use to send out MIDI data to multiple devices. I use Note FX for input in the video, but it also can be any note or CC data residing on the track. VolumeShaper should be able to do the same. You can also mix Direct inputs data with Intrument track data (so for instance notes coming from the instrument track and CC coming from a direct input).

phpBB [video]

Maybe that can help you get started.

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by toddholsopple on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:21 pm
OK. I think I get it. Looks like you're on a Mac (and I assume the MidiMonitor plugin you're using is this one here: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/).

I'm on a PC, but I think I get the idea - simply setup the Instrument to a VST that has midi out, then select that VST as the input in VolumeShaper (or any other plugin that accepts MIDI input).

I can run with this. Thanks for the quick, helpful reply!!
by Tacman7 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:25 am
I have 5 midi guitar tracks setup and I use EZkeys to play midi parts, then I can hear what they sound like using the monitor button on each track and find the sound I'm looking for.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by johnbedggood on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:48 am
niles wrote... you can't send data from one Instrument track to multiple devices in the song.

Umm..., not entirely accurate. That is essentially what the Multi Instrument does. They are awesome.

Todd,

If you haven't already checked Multi Instruments out then I encourage you to try them. I use them a lot for brass and winds combos and some killer synth pads.They may be what you are looking for.

John B

Win 7 64-bit, 4 Core i7: 16Gb DDR3 ram, Dual 20" LCD monitors
Audiobox 1818VSL, DigiMax D8, Central Station Plus, Faderport, Sceptre S8, Avantone Pro Mixcubes, Eureka Preamp (5 of),
Studio One Pro 3.5.4, Notion 6, PreSonus Symphonic Orchestra, Superior Drummer 2, CTC-1, Channel Strip Collection, Melodyne Studio 4.1, Waves Plugins
by Scoox on Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:20 pm
johnbedggood wrote
niles wrote... you can't send data from one Instrument track to multiple devices in the song.

Umm..., not entirely accurate. That is essentially what the Multi Instrument does. They are awesome.

Todd,

If you haven't already checked Multi Instruments out then I encourage you to try them. I use them a lot for brass and winds combos and some killer synth pads.They may be what you are looking for.

John B

That's correct, however, there are audio plugins that have MIDI inputs. For example, Cableguys ShaperBox 2, an envelope generator plugin, can accept a MIDI input to trigger envelopes. In Studio One this requires an extra MIDI track to work, which is unfortunate.

Windows 10 64-bit Professional
Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, 32 GB RAM
Studio One 3.3.1.39379 Win x64
by fl16 on Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:32 am
Scoox wrote
johnbedggood wrote

Todd,

John B

That's correct, however, there are audio plugins that have MIDI inputs. For example, Cableguys ShaperBox 2, an envelope generator plugin, can accept a MIDI input to trigger envelopes. In Studio One this requires an extra MIDI track to work, which is unfortunate.

I have the same problem. I have a plugin that generate chords from midi and I would like to receive the MIDI from arbitrary tracks. The only solution is to duplicate EVERY track with an Instrument doesn't output MIDI with an intermediate bogus Instrument that does output MIDI. This is terrible. I wish we could select another track directly as a MIDI input. It would be much cleaner.
by Tacman7 on Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:42 am
I was just talking about this earlier here:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=50748

If you have a plugin that generates midi then it will show up as an input for any virtual instrument you have in your song.

Take an instrument track then set the input to your midi generating plugin and press the monitor button, when you play the song the meter should bounce on that track.

Good to put your specs in your signature, click below in my signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB

8 posts
Page 1 of 1