I have one song in S1 that is hanging when saving, other songs save as normal.
The dialog box will show "Packaging: editor.xml" and hang for about 1 minute. Sometimes it is a different xml file.
Any ideas about what might be causing this? It isn't an unusually complex song.
Obviously it is quite disruptive, especially if autosave is on, as S1 won't respond to any inputs until after that save process has completed.
Try saving a copy of the song to a different location - 'Save to new folder' option
It could be a disk I/O bottleneck of some kind or possibly a faulty disk sector.
Are you saving to a fixed disk or a removable one ?
Thanks @Morticia I tried your suggestion and while it didn't work, it left me sitting in front of a copy of the song so I experimented with the copy, and figured it out.
I deleted all the tracks I added yesterday, and it saved normally. So I restored them, and through a process of elimination worked out it was a few tracks that originated in Reaktor Blocks. It was a drum beat where I had split the instruments and soloed them on the instrument track, then copied that audio to a new track, and repeated that process. I'd then created loops, edited them in Melodyne, and bounced them.
Somewhere in that process there is something that ties up the processor when writing the xml files.
I did a mixdown / load to track for each of the tracks and copied the effects over, then deleted the original tracks (which had drag and dropped clips from the Reaktor instrument track) and it saves normally now.
Glad you got it sorted out
I would suggest that it would be excessive disk writes that are causing the CPU to wait, rather than the CPU maxing out though.
If you get the issue again, launch Task Manager while it is happening (if you are able), go to the Performance tab and see whether the bottleneck is CPU, disk or memory.
Edit: Just a thought - if when the save was happening, S1 was trying to read the Reaktor Blocks loops from the same disk device whilst also trying to write to the same disk device (in order to write out the data) , then you would have a classic case of disk I/O contention.
It is good practice to have loops, samples, patches etc. on a separate physical disk to your Songs / Projects for that very reason.
I've got the exact same problem. It's all related to a single track. And specifically to the MIDI events, so agnostic of the instruments.
But! I figured it out! The midi events had Layers packed underneath the tracks. As soon as I removed all the layers and simply used a normal events, all CPU issues were gone and it saved my project in a jiffy.
Same problem here.
Last Wednesday my current song began acting up.
I was working on a song from the day before and when it went to auto save, it froze with the beachball spinning.
It stalled, stuck at “Packaging: Pan L_R(3).envelopex”.
The song won't "save" or "save as" without hanging there.
I’ve tried saving to a different directory and hard drive, still the same thing.
I tried opening an earlier version and tried saving it to another drive, but that failed as well with the same message.
Any insight is greatly appreciated.
Mac, Ventura, Studio One Pro 6.02
Same issue here. Started with the current song/ project a few days ago and still happens after updating to S1 6.1 from 6.0
Mine got stuck mostly on ‘xxxxxx.vstpreset’, only a few times it froze on something else. When it did the last “let’s freeze that sucker at .vstpreset”, I did the next S1 re-start with VST 2.4 disabled (even though I do not actively use any VST 2 in my projects, only VST 3 or AU. Strangely enough, that worked, so then I went into the advanced section of the preferences in Studio One and disabled VST 2.4 support. I don’t understand the connection there, but so far, things are working normally.
MacBook Pro M1, MacOS 12, everything completely up to date.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests