20 posts
Page 1 of 1
How do I delete unused instruments from a song? What I mean is, I have a song I am working on, and have previously loaded a bunch of VSTIs which I have decided I won't use at all in the song. I have deleted the relevant tracks in the project, but when the project loads, it takes longer than it should as I see the unused instruments loading.

Thank you.

https://billsaunders.hearnow.com/

https://genius.com/artists/Bill-saunders

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders

Studio One Pro4 Win10 64bit i7 6700T 16GB ram, FaderPort 16, Focusrite 6i6
by Lokeyfly on Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:35 pm
Hi Bill,

Next time simply right click on the track and remove track with instrument.

As to right now, open your song and open your mixer, and select "Instruments" (at left). The instruments panel will open.
Then right click over those instruments you wish to remove from your song.

S1 Pro 4.6.x, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Roland GR-50, Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Monitoring: Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS-7, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6.

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

LP's "Amber & Blue", and "Reasonable Approach" available on all major distribution music services.
Simply search "James Conrad Tucker".
All songs copyright. Be safe.
by philschroeder1 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:04 am
But why can't I remove an instrument from a track without deleting the track? I want to preserve the notes to use in a different way.
by kurtismcloughlin1 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:36 pm
This is a reply to the last above comment.
Not sure is this is exactly what you mean but you want to remove the instrument but keeping the midi files there? If so ... just open another track and just copy the midi to the new track. If you want to keep your channel strip settings you could just duplicate the track as a whole and just chose replace instrument when you drag a new instrument onto that channel.

I know what you're saying though. This is pretty easy in say Logic for example coz the instrument shows at the top of the channel strip

Apple Mac Pro (5,1) 2009 3.33GHZ 6 Core Intel Xeon
32 GB 1333 MHZ DDR3
SSD
NIVIDIA GEFORCE GT 120 512 MB
Faderport
Virus TI
Yamaha 01v96v2
Bunch of other Hardware synths and other stuff
by Tacman7 on Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:50 pm
If you delete it from the mixer (see Lokeyfly post) the midi track will still be there.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 5 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro5.1 64bit Melodyne Studio
Studio Computer - Nectar Impact LX25+
Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram 1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Kitchen Computer
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Radeon RX 590 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB SSD interface: Motu M2
by Lawrence on Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:29 am
unused.png
unused.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
by scottyo7 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:58 pm
What I do is simply drag another instrument onto the track.
Then a pop-up asks if you want to "Replace" or "Combine".

Please add your Signature/Info to your Profile here.
-ASUS i7 Laptop; 16GB; 2 Samsung SSD's; NVIDIA 670MX; Win 10 Home v2004.
-S1 Pro 4.6.2; EZD2 2.1.8. A/I: USB Behringer UMC404HD.
-Synths: Camel Audio Alchemy, Air Tech Music Suite, UVI Digital Synsations & SONiVOX Twist.
-Melodyne Studio 4.2.4. Ozone 5, Scuffham S-Gear 2.97.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars, two Line 6 POD's & an E-bow.
-Fluid Audio 'FX8' Monitors; Dual 28" Displays. Rode NT1; SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just Me
-Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by roland1 on Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:55 pm
In the console view, to the left, click "Instr." and it'll show all the active instruments in the song.

From there, click on the arrow to the right of the instrument you want to remove and it'll show remove, at the bottom.

Say three "Hail Mary"s, close your eyes, and click remove. Step back, in case there's splashback.

If all is clear, commence making music. Then take a dance break.

I hope this helps.

[Note: not all of these steps are connected, nor entirely sane.]

I use: Studio One Pro v5 on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and 4.61 on a Mac Pro Tower (Sierra) w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.

Author: Reality Checks for Everyday Life — Keeping it real in a world of illusions. I can also be found loitering at: http://RolandK.ca

Attention all shoppers: The people in commercials are paid actors.
by paolosiani on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:25 pm
Tonight I was in panic exactly with this problem as my track became impossible to listen to for processor overloading and distorsion SO THANKS INDEED FOR YOUR HELP👍✌️👋
by roland1 on Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:28 pm
You can also deactivate tracks or bounce them to audio, which sleeps the VST - removing the load on the CPU.

I use: Studio One Pro v5 on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and 4.61 on a Mac Pro Tower (Sierra) w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.

Author: Reality Checks for Everyday Life — Keeping it real in a world of illusions. I can also be found loitering at: http://RolandK.ca

by Lokeyfly on Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:03 am
roland1 wroteYou can also deactivate tracks or bounce them to audio, which sleeps the VST - removing the load on the CPU.

That way, they'll be less splashback! ;)

S1 Pro 4.6.x, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Roland GR-50, Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Monitoring: Mackie HR824, Yamaha HS-7, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6.

Latest albums on iTunes

LP's "Amber & Blue", and "Reasonable Approach" available on all major distribution music services.
by cdricblanqui on Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:19 am
On the bottom left of the mix view, you can select the instruments view (like track list, inputs, ...) which lists all instruments on your song. Then you can disable or remove the ones you don't use.

W10 Intel I7 16Gb
SO V5 Artist & V5.1 Pro (in Sphere)
Iostation 24C, Atom, Monitor station V2, Akai MPK mini, Roland A49
Eris E5
by roland1 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:59 am
Hey, Mr. RTFM, you should RTFT yourself — read the fracking thread — before posting duplicate advice. :p

Unless you go in like me and first announce that you haven't read a thing of what others have written and just proceed to answer as you see fit and include a lot of extraneous information meant entirely to amuse you and maybe one or two other people who might enjoy that kind of thing.

Then, all is forgiven. :D

cdricblanqui wroteOn the bottom left of the mix view, you can select the instruments view (like track list, inputs, ...) which lists all instruments on your song. Then you can disable or remove the ones you don't use.

by cdricblanqui on Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:07 am
roland1 wroteHey, Mr. RTFM, you should RTFT yourself — read the fracking thread — before posting duplicate advice. :p

Unless you go in like me and first announce that you haven't read a thing of what others have written and just proceed to answer as you see fit and include a lot of extraneous information meant entirely to amuse you and maybe one or two other people who might enjoy that kind of thing.

Hi there, maybe you can calm down on this ? Just because :
- The RTFM emoji is in my signature and not related to the topic ... (and i found it funny though .. And, yes, sometimes, so true !)
- Oops i missed your answer because i read too fast on a small screen, well, my apology for giving the same info as yours master (but that can't hurt ...)
- Just here to help when i can (from my poor little french xperience)

End of it

W10 Intel I7 16Gb
Eris E5
by roland1 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:08 pm
It's called a paradox. :) It could also be under the category of irony. Sometimes they're funny, too.

I will not calm down. I think we should have a pistol duel to the death. Or at least some kind of test of our manhood to determine which one of us gets preferential access to the harem. :D

by cdricblanqui on Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:29 pm
All right then !
Choose your weapon ! (i'll go for the bitcrusher, you don't have a chance)
And don't think you can screw me with some magic tricks ... (i saw all potter's)
You are already removed, you dirty instrument of evil :evil:
:lol:
And i promise to RTFT ... Master.

W10 Intel I7 16Gb
Eris E5
by Lokeyfly on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:07 pm
As you can see cdricblanqui, Roland1 is drop dead serious. Even willing to have a gun duel. Very little sets him off. Why, just the other day, his mailman said "Have a pleasant day". Roland screamed "Who pissed in your cornflakes, As_ H_le!

Still we've learned to love him, and while that ticks him off to no end, he has been known to purr like a bunny. Or maybe that was just a badger, sleeping.

Bit crusher was a good grab. Tough to get around, though avoid being compressed first (those NYC comps can really glue one down). When in doubt, you can always brick wall limit someone to smithereens.

I took your signature as just fine. Wait, shhhhhhh, you know who is coming back. Act normal. Sort of like what you're suppose to do when a shark approaches. :)

Latest albums on iTunes

by Quietly on Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:24 am
I'm not sure if someone else has answered this but it is so simple. Go down to the Transport Bar. Bottom left you will see Midi and next to that Performance. Click Performance and then click Show Devices. Right click the Instrument or Device you want to remove and a drop down menu will appear giving you a list of options. One option being Remove. Click Remove. As I have limited CPU I use it it all the time as in I bounce a VST Instrument Track to another track ie Audio then go down to Performance to remove completely.

Hope that helps.

People who can't dance always blame the band.
https://soundcloud.com/gerry-cooper-855281238
Studio One 5 Pro. Windows 10 64 Bit 4 GB Intel 2 Quad Q 9950 @ 2.83 GHz . Fluid Audio SRI-2, NI Komplete Kontrol S61, NI Komplete 12 Ultimate, Izotope Ozone 5 and 8. Yamaha HS 80 Monitors.
by Jemusic on Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:08 pm
Quietly wroteI'm not sure if someone else has answered this but it is so simple. Go down to the Transport Bar. Bottom left you will see Midi and next to that Performance. Click Performance and then click Show Devices. Right click the Instrument or Device you want to remove and a drop down menu will appear giving you a list of options. One option being Remove. Click Remove. As I have limited CPU I use it it all the time as in I bounce a VST Instrument Track to another track ie Audio then go down to Performance to remove completely.

Hope that helps.

Yes this is another rather elegant way of removing an Instrument.

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad- iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.1 (Mac), Notion 6.7, Ableton Live 10 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Lokeyfly on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:06 pm
Yep, like Quietly, I use quick and temporary on/off/removal that way probably the most, and for the same reasons of efficiency.

If and when I'm changing a VSTi for another that might have MIDI data I want to keep, I usually just drag an instrument right over an existing track. Nice that the option is automatic to combine, or replace.

The removal of a lot of instruments in a more permanent manner comes late when decisions to remove instruments is also handy when rendering, again a dialog box is available to leave trails (by seconds), or altogether, or include effects (which I never select). Or using the bottom left mixer under Instruments is favored for turning on/off, or removing.

Case in point, Studio One is very intuitive in what the user is going for, once some reasonably steady workflow starts to happen. To the point where it's almost invisible. So the task of "How to delete unused instruments" is catered to in numerous practical ways.

Also contributed by the many points made in this thread.
It's what great tools do. Work with precision without thinking about it to meet goals.

Latest albums on iTunes

20 posts
Page 1 of 1