26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
I am quite disappointed with Studio One. I have been using music software since the late 80"s and I have never had the install problems that I have encountered with S1.

Yes I read the manual and visited Studio One Expert to look at the videos. Sadly some very basic procedures were cumbersome and unituitive. I followed all explanations step by step and still had major problems

The first experience a customer has with software is the installation. Be it a stock install or a custom one, most companies will make sure that it is as smooth and intuitive as possible for that reason.

I had major problems pointing S1 to an external drive to store samples and loops. I finally accomplished it................or so I thought. Only to return the next day to find all the loops missing and some of the libraries.

I simply gave up and installed them to the default folder. I hope I find the user interface to be more intuitive than the install process.

After the program and libraries are installed the first thing you want to do is add your Midi Devices. What a struggle that was. The least intuitive install of midi devices I have ever experienced in any DAW I have tried.

It is not usual for me to be so critical and I have never complained about other DAWS on their forums.Hopefully with future updates Presonus will look at making S1 more intuitive and explanations more clear.

Win7sp1, Intel Quad [email protected], 8GB Ram, Edirol FA-66Firewire, External SSD, KRK Rokit 6 Speakers, Monitors Sony 24 inch TV 1080dpi, HP w2207h.
by CTStump on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:19 pm
Sorry to read about your issues. When everything these days are online these things do happen. It doesn't help that the manual is abbreviated somewhat. That is not an excuse or explanation just my own observation.

The good thing is you have this forum here to help in a pinch. It seems the only choice sometimes but fortunately the folks here try to help and not judge. In my experience they are also prompt.

Good luck on getting a better experience in using Studio One and if need be the help here in getting that experience better.

Studio One Pro 4.6
Various Old Toys
***WARNING***Anything I post is subject to scrutiny as necessary or not... being human I'm prone to error, forgive and forget as necessary...OR NOT***WARNING*** ;)
by PreAl on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:33 pm
Would I be right back in assuming your background is Sonar?

Anyway I suggest you press F1 and read the manual from beginning to end.I'm over half way in the manual and overwhelmingly my experience has been positive. I'm taking my time to learn this and I'm in no rush, I also accept this is going to work differently from my previous DAW.

Installation was fine for me I didn't require any help, configuration happened via the manual.. no issues.

My only big issue is that downloading the right documentation, it is confusing but that's on another thread and logged with support.

If after all this you think improvements should be made then you need to state the details and specifics.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by garyshepherd on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:48 pm
I recognise none of these issues (I switched from DP last year) and have found it a good experience - YouTube videos have helped greatly as has this forum. You need to persevere as this is a great DAW and the workflow is so easy. It's not perfect but you work out as you go along - it is not an alien experience if you are used to DAW's. The manual is so so - there is an unofficial one out there which is useful - and there are a few users who post helpful videos. So stick with it is my advice.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7.4, 64 bit, Studio One 6.6 Professional Minus (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.3, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by johnadams38 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:55 pm
PreAl wroteWould I be right back in assuming your background is Sonar?

Anyway I suggest you press F1 and read the manual from beginning to end.I'm over half way in the manual and overwhelmingly my experience has been positive. I'm taking my time to learn this and I'm in no rush, I also accept this is going to work differently from my previous DAW.

Installation was fine for me I didn't require any help, configuration happened via the manual.. no issues.

My only big issue is that downloading the right documentation, it is confusing but that's on another thread and logged with support.

If after all this you think improvements should be made then you need to state the details and specifics.

Thank you for your reply. I imagine you did not read my post carefully as I mentioned that I had read the manual and watched the videos.

Win7sp1, Intel Quad [email protected], 8GB Ram, Edirol FA-66Firewire, External SSD, KRK Rokit 6 Speakers, Monitors Sony 24 inch TV 1080dpi, HP w2207h.
by Bbd on Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:42 pm
@johnadams

I too am sorry your experience has not been good.
For your midi instruments, what exactly was a problem that you had or continue to have?
If you can get specific, someone with the same instrument could help.

If you have been reading the posts in this forum, it is really important to be very detailed and clear on your issue(s).

Have you contacted Support for those issues you had?

Thanks much.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by scottyo7 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:09 pm
I had a very short stint with Cubase... which oddly enough came with my PreSonus Audio Interface. Studio One (S1) came out soon after so that's really all I know.

I did my first S1 install via CD's and since haven't had install issues with every subsequently provided online version.

So you watched videos. Maybe the PreSonus ones?
I'd also check out the many on YouTube. For me that really helped since you get different users perspectives and methods how to accomplish things - and there is typically more than one way to do the same thing. ;)

Which ever DAW you came from, you can switch to that same DAW's keyboard shortcuts within Studio Ones' settings - but you may already know that if you've read the manual (see "Key Commands for Migrating Users")?

I too had a somewhat hard time understanding how to install midi keyboards.
This video helped me understand a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itWM3iY4sfw

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by PreAl on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:21 pm
johnadams38 wroteThank you for your reply. I imagine you did not read my post carefully as I mentioned that I had read the manual and watched the videos.

Right. Well if you've read the whole manual you should be way ahead of me??

Well we've had a very different experiences anyway. I've only read half the manual (still reading) and not seen the videos. There's also a thread here for ex Sonar users and I've been posting questions here occasionally.

It's all worked very well, I'm sorry it didn't work well for you, each to our own. I'm still learning. I too have used music software since the late 80's.

Not sure about your external hard drive, hard drive configuration is a function of the OS,so it could be an OS issue. But that's a guess I have no idea of the specifics. I'd create a new thread for this if you want it troubleshooted.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Blades on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:34 pm
Good evening to all. I'm new here as well. I am a Sonar refugee and a hobbyist in recording and music technology, but a computer technician/network engineer/web designer/business owner for my real job, so I have no issue with learning new things, especially when it comes to technology.

All that said, I came to S1 with no previous experience with it. I loaded the demo, setup all of my external midi gear, configured a drum map for my Pearl Mimic Pro, and tested a lot of things. I have it all working just about the way I want, including a PCR-800 for both midi input and control surface purposes, a Contour Shuttle Pro for transport and other related controls - as well as a Frontier Designs Tranzport for the same functions when I'm across the room, and a BCF2000 for mixing and other "getting around".

I have not read any of the manual. I have watched a bunch of videos from numerous creators, both Presonus and not.

I found the midi device setup to be a bit obtuse, but "got there" with the many devices I have.

The drum maps are somewhat lacking compared to the Sonar equivalent (feel free to see my Sonar Drum Map video on my website to understand why I think this - and this is from the Sonar of about 2005 or so: https://www.blades.technology/music/son ... -drum-maps

And there are other things I do/will miss until (or if) they are included in S1, such as Sound On Sound recording and some others.

In general, however, I've found the program to feel largely more stable, more responsive, and mostly more intuitive than Sonar, especially in the post x1 era. I have also found that my devices work generally more like I expected them to rather than the kludgy way I've had to Make them work in Sonar.

I even went back to record a video on what "sound on sound" is in Sonar for folks here who have never seen it in action, and found myself staring blindly at the screen trying to figure out why I wasn't seeing the option I remembered and why I wasn't hearing what I was expecting to.

Long winded - and I apologize for that, but hopefully you and S1 will get along better in the future. So far, I'm enjoying the ride of learning something new and trying to look at the program with fresh eyes rather than "the old way was better" ones, even if in some cases it is absolutely true!

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by Lawrence on Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:00 am
They made the process of installation and activation of Studio One so easy that, ironically, it confuses some people because it conflicts with their previous experiences and expectations. I'll explain...

1. Installation of soundesets is as easy as it gets anywhere. For any new user looking at Options (which one should do with any new software, look over Options), it's hard to miss Options > Locations > Sound Sets if you want to add that folder manually or set the default path. That's what you want, to set the default path there to your external drive. Anyone taking 5 minutes to explore Options would be hard pressed not to see this below...

I think if you put soundsets on an external drive and double click one it will automatically set or add that path to the list and install them.

2. Updating: Users are so accustomed to installing new versions they do it in Studio One even when they don't have to. like turning the demo into Artist or Pro, etc. It's their expectations and previous experiences that causes the issue, not the process. Studio One is literally all the same software, all versions, but people aren't accustomed to that so they make bad assumptions and do too much.

Honestly, they made it all so easy that it causes issues because most users aren't used to it being that easy to install and activate software.

Not the OP, but users are often so excited to get new software they never bother to just take a few minutes and look over the options and menus and they get frustrated.
by Funkybot on Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:28 am
I'm also curious as to what MIDI Devices the OP was trying to install. There's definitely some quirks in Studio One's MIDI Device implementation (I'm particularly thinking about how a single device can be a Controller or an Instrument but can't be both - which is arbitrary and doesn't reflect reality for many devices), but the overall device setup is a no-brainer IMO. Especially when it comes to mapping your Control Surface. I came from Sonar, keep Reaper around, and just got Cubase and when it comes to setting up something like a MIDI fader box or a synth for use as a Control Surface, there's nothing more intuitive than Studio One. Having just gone through it, Cubase is a nightmare in this regard and the functionality is insanely limited (8 quick link controls versus Studio One's which can map 127 MIDI CC's to unique controls if you want). However, the lack of multi-channel [MIDI] instrument tracks and no polyphonic aftertouch support can make working with some types of devices (MPE controllers, Drum Modules) very cumbersome in Studio One.

Anyway, my point is, specifics about what devices you're trying to setup and how would help. And maybe you're right and it's cumbersome. If you can think of a better way to setup MIDI Devices, maybe post your thoughts on it (or create a Feature Request).

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by jpettit on Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:13 am
johnadams38 wrote1) Sadly some very basic procedures were cumbersome and unintuitive.

2) The first experience a customer has with software is the installation. Be it a stock install or a custom one, most companies will make sure that it is as smooth and intuitive as possible for that reason. I hope I find the user interface to be more intuitive than the install process.

3) I had major problems pointing S1 to an external drive to store samples and loops. I finally accomplished it................or so I thought. Only to return the next day to find all the loops missing and some of the libraries. I simply gave up and installed them to the default folder.

4) The least intuitive install of midi devices I have ever experienced in any DAW I have tried.

If you are taking the time to talk to this forum please be specific on any one of these issues and work through them one at a time.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by johnadams38 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:35 pm
jpettit wrote
johnadams38 wrote1) Sadly some very basic procedures were cumbersome and unintuitive.

2) The first experience a customer has with software is the installation. Be it a stock install or a custom one, most companies will make sure that it is as smooth and intuitive as possible for that reason. I hope I find the user interface to be more intuitive than the install process.

3) I had major problems pointing S1 to an external drive to store samples and loops. I finally accomplished it................or so I thought. Only to return the next day to find all the loops missing and some of the libraries. I simply gave up and installed them to the default folder.

4) The least intuitive install of midi devices I have ever experienced in any DAW I have tried.

If you are taking the time to talk to this forum please be specific on any one of these issues and work through them one at a time.

Hi and thanks for the reply. I actually had everything working before I made my original post. My post was simply my feelings on the process of installation as I experienced it. I am glad to know that others had a positive experience.

by johnadams38 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:42 pm
Funkybot wroteI'm also curious as to what MIDI Devices the OP was trying to install. There's definitely some quirks in Studio One's MIDI Device implementation (I'm particularly thinking about how a single device can be a Controller or an Instrument but can't be both - which is arbitrary and doesn't reflect reality for many devices), but the overall device setup is a no-brainer IMO. Especially when it comes to mapping your Control Surface. I came from Sonar, keep Reaper around, and just got Cubase and when it comes to setting up something like a MIDI fader box or a synth for use as a Control Surface, there's nothing more intuitive than Studio One. Having just gone through it, Cubase is a nightmare in this regard and the functionality is insanely limited (8 quick link controls versus Studio One's which can map 127 MIDI CC's to unique controls if you want). However, the lack of multi-channel [MIDI] instrument tracks and no polyphonic aftertouch support can make working with some types of devices (MPE controllers, Drum Modules) very cumbersome in Studio One.

Anyway, my point is, specifics about what devices you're trying to setup and how would help. And maybe you're right and it's cumbersome. If you can think of a better way to setup MIDI Devices, maybe post your thoughts on it (or create a Feature Request).

Thanks for your reply. I was setting up a Keyboard controller, a Midi Guitar Module, and a Roland Handsonic Drum module. You hit the nail on the head. It was the Handsonic that gave me the most problems.

by PreAl on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:47 pm
What were problems with the Handsonic?
Do you still have problems with the Handsonic?

I had a few glitches with a Roland A300 Pro control surface for instance, not an easy ride .. turned out to be how the keyboard was set up not Studio ONE. The forums helped me:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27865

Last edited by PreAl on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by CTStump on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:48 pm
That's what I understood, you were not asking for help just stating your observation. But as you can see the User's here will try to help.

One thing to mention, I've been using Studio One since 2011 and still learn new things as the need arises. Apart from that I found it fast to get up to speed on more than any other DAW that I use.

Welcome to the forum. :thumbup:

Studio One Pro 4.6
Various Old Toys
***WARNING***Anything I post is subject to scrutiny as necessary or not... being human I'm prone to error, forgive and forget as necessary...OR NOT***WARNING*** ;)
by johnadams38 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 3:51 pm
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I really appreciate the constructive feedback which makes me feel more positive about learning how to use S1.

by johnadams38 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:02 pm
PreAl wroteWhat were problems with the Handsonic?
Do you still have problems with the Handsonic?

I had a few glitches with a Roland A300 Pro control surface for instance, not an easy ride .. turned out to be how the keyboard was set up not Studio ONE. The forums helped me:

viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27865

Hi, The problems with the Handsonic was having S1 recognize it. S1 asks you to disconnect and then reconnect your midi device. I did that but it did not work.

The GI-20 and my Keyboard are USB connected. The Handsonic is pure midi and I use the Midi-in connection on my Audio Interface.

It eventually occurred to me that I should try reconnecting the audio interface while the Handsonic was connected to it.........and that worked.

by Lokeyfly on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:33 pm
Johnadams38 wrote: The GI-20 and my Keyboard are USB connected. The Handsonic is pure midi and I use the Midi-in connection on my Audio Interface.

It eventually occurred to me that I should try reconnecting the audio interface while the Handsonic was connected to it.........and that worked.

Hi John, Glad it worked out. If you encounter the problem again for any reason, its probably worth running the Handsonic via USB. I have a load of outboard MIDI gear, but I have an 8 In/Out MIDI interface. But where I can, I'll run USB. Just an option to consider. Things like my Roland Octapad, I cant, since there's no USB.

I really appreciate the constructive feedback which makes me feel more positive about learning how to use S1.

So I guest the poor experience is deemed a bit better. A good thing.

S1-6.6, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by johnadams38 on Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:41 pm
Lokeyfly wrote

Hi John, Glad it worked out. If you encounter the problem again for any reason, its probably worth running the Handsonic via USB. I have a load of outboard MIDI gear, but I have an 8 In/Out MIDI interface. But where I can, I'll run USB. Just an option to consider. Things like my Roland Octapad, I cant, since there's no USB.

Hi Lokey, Like your Octapad my Handsonic has no USB capability.

26 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2