17 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello!

Is there any way to automate 'Active' button of plugin?

Or maybe you can help to find the solution.
I have reverb on piano. I want to restart reverb everytime the piano plays next note. So the reverb's tail of previous note will not sound after pressing the next note.
The only way I came up with is to automate the plugin 'Active' button (Automation of 'Bypass' is not working in this situation because it is does not cut reverb's tail).

Thank you and sorry for my english :)
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:05 am
Automate a noise gate? Set it to max sensitivity, and automate the bypass of the gate?

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by victorkhlyustov on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:26 am
matthewgorman wroteAutomate a noise gate? Set it to max sensitivity, and automate the bypass of the gate?

Sorry, I can not figure out how to connect a reverb to a noise-gate?

Here is example of what I'm asking about:
https://youtu.be/ZcICh7UsPuU?t=180
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:34 am
If the reverb is on an fx channel, put the gate in the insert chain after the reverb to cut the tail off. Not sure it will work for you, but maybe worth a try. I am sure someone else will chime in that does this type of processing more often

Matt

S1Pro V5
by victorkhlyustov on Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:51 am
matthewgorman wroteIf the reverb is on an fx channel, put the gate in the insert chain after the reverb to cut the tail off. Not sure it will work for you, but maybe worth a try. I am sure someone else will chime in that does this type of processing more often

I have tried to use noise-gate. It turns out that the tail of the reverb does not sound while the piano is playing. However, the reverb tail of first note is "mixed" with the tail of the reverb of the second note. I need it to stop sounding as soon as the second note is pressed and we hear only the tail of a new note.
Anyway, thanks for the advice.
by scottyo7 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:27 pm
Is the piano a VI?
If so, then adjusting the sustain and decay (toward less) should help. ;)

Please add your System-Gear-Info to your Profile here.
-S1 Pro 5.5.2. Win11 Pro 22H2. Behringer UMC404HD. Melodyne Studio 5.3.1.018.
-MSI 12th Gen i7, 16GB, 1GB SSD x2, 7200rpm 2TB HD, NVIDIA RTX 3060.
-EZD3 & EZD2. Helix Native, Scuffham S-Gear. iZotope Ozone 5.
-Akai MPK249. 6 Guitars. Line 6 Helix LT, 2 POD's & an E-bow. 8-)
-Adam Audio T8V's. Dual 28" ViewSonic Displays. Rode NT1. SM58. Original Faderport.

-Just My Songs
-My Previous Band: 2GUYZINABASEMENT
by miked7 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:34 pm
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but if you want more clarity for the DRY note, you can side-chain a compressor on the reverb tail so the tail's volume is reduced whenever a note is played. This doesn't get rid of the tail from the first note however. But as was suggested, you can adjust the length of the tail to more closely match to the played notes...

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
SoundCloud | Project 9732 | Komplex 2
by Skaperverket on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:02 am
I guess automating bypass won't reset the verb, so what you want is automating the on/off switch. To my knowledge that can't be done (unless it's in the macro list - not in my studio right now), but I was thinking that perhaps using the verb as an Event FX (with no tail) could be a workaround, where each event is cut where you'd reset the power switch. You'd have to bounce it first to get the plug-ins in the right order, but I think it could be done. Either with your desired blend on the same Track or 100% wet on a separate Track. If doing it on a separate track, you could combine them with a Folder Bus for further common processing. Does that work?
by victorkhlyustov on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:25 am
Thank you everyone for your answers.
miked7 wroteThis doesn't get rid of the tail from the first note however. But as was suggested, you can adjust the length of the tail to more closely match to the played notes...

Unfortunatly it can't help. I have a long atmospheric reverb (ambient music), which should sound loudly until the next note. After a few notes the reverb tail sounds like a mess, so I want to "clean" it time to time.

Skaperverket wroteYou'd have to bounce it first to get the plug-ins in the right order, but I think it could be done. Either with your desired blend on the same Track or 100% wet on a separate Track. If doing it on a separate track, you could combine them with a Folder Bus for further common processing. Does that work?

I've bounced all notes with reverb separately and cut all this events in necessary places. But it is a huge work when the melody is long.
by Lokeyfly on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 am
victorkhlyustov wroteHello!

Is there any way to automate 'Active' button of plugin

Not the active button of the overall plugin (the blue "On", button). However, you can certainly look in the location of that plugins parameters, or map the on/off switch to turn on/off, or control some other parameter.

Apologies, I'm away from the computer, but I'll check later this evening. Sorry for the delay, but I don't want to put it in a way that's not clear. :)

Weather that cleans up the reverb for you, you'll have to see.

Another way is to link the reverb via automation, using Control Link
An Alternative is bounce the track to audio. Then place (drag), or route the reverb to that track, via track insert, or FX send.

Then, select the on/off of the reverb OR, select the reverb mix, or level send. Check at the top left where the Control Link is. The parameter you click on will show there. Drag the hand down to the audio track. You now have an automation lane right there on that track to adjust as you need, be it , draw in on/off, or ramp variable control, or record in real time. That should allow you to get the trailing edge of reverb how you want it. Experiment which reverb parameter gives you the results that will best work for you.

If you want to keep to midi, fine. The Control Link will also identify the parameter. Only, you won't drag the hand anywhere but alternatively assign or map the plugin parameterl to the MIDI track event.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by miked7 on Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:10 am
victorkhlyustov wrote...Here is example of what I'm asking about:

There are some nice techniques in there - thanks for sharing that!

---- - ----
Studio One Pro 6.5 | Apollo Twin Duo USB | Win10 | AMD Ryzen 3 | 32GB RAM | SSDs
by victorkhlyustov on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:55 am
miked7 wrote
victorkhlyustov wrote...Here is example of what I'm asking about:

There are some nice techniques in there - thanks for sharing that!

Yeah, KSHMR tells about some cool features in his lessons =)

Lokeyfly wroteThen, select the on/off of the reverb OR, select the reverb mix, or level send. Check at the top left where the Control Link is. The parameter you click on will show there. Drag the hand down to the audio track. You now have an automation lane right there on that track to adjust as you need, be it , draw in on/off, or ramp variable control, or record in real time. That should allow you to get the trailing edge of reverb how you want it. Experiment which reverb parameter gives you the results that will best work for you.

If you want to keep to midi, fine. The Control Link will also identify the parameter. Only, you won't drag the hand anywhere but alternatively assign or map the plugin parameterl to the MIDI track event.

As I understand, it can work if the reverb plugin has its own "On / Off" parameter, but vst that I use does not have it. Also tweaking other parameters does not give proper result in my specific situation.
Anyway thank you for your answer!

For this track, I used bounce of the audio with the reverb effect and its cutting.
Next time I'll search аfor the reverb with the on / off button.
by miked7 on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:06 am
Here's a FREE one that I just used in a mix that might work for you...

http://stone-voices.ru/vst/ambient_reverb

---- - ----
by victorkhlyustov on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:17 am
miked7 wroteHere's a FREE one that I just used in a mix that might work for you...

http://stone-voices.ru/vst/ambient_reverb

Thanks a lot!
I have tested it and automation of Freeze really works! :thumbup:
by matthewgorman on Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:54 am
Be careful when trying to automate the on/off switch of a plugin. The daw is compensating for any plugin latency behind the scenes. You can see plug latency by opening the cpu meter. When you turn off a plug, it forces the daw to recalculate latency compensation, which can/will result in artifacts. That is why the bypass button is used.

Matt

S1Pro V5
by Lokeyfly on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:42 am
Very good point to pass along, Matt.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by robertcorrington on Wed May 01, 2019 1:37 pm
I’m using the FabFilter Pro-R reverb plugin.

When I went into the Studio One Automation Add/Remove Parameter dialog and worked down through the parameter tree (e.g., Console | FX 1 | Inserts | 2 – Pro-R), I saw two Bypass parameters (one near the of the list and the other near the bottom).

Next, I added and automated the second Bypass parameter (as described in the KSHMR video). This Bypass parameter reset the reverb without any artifacts or time delays.

The FabFilter Pro-R manual says:
The Global Bypass toggle button bypasses the entire plugin. While most hosts already provide the ability to bypass plug-ins, our internal global bypass feature is guaranteed to correctly compensate the latency of the plug-in and it also applies soft bypassing to avoid clicks. While the plug-in is bypassed, the spectrum analyzer stops and a red light glows in the bypass button itself. The top of the output button in the bottom bar is also highlighted in red.

So, you might want to consider using the FabFilter Pro-R reverb plugin.

I tried the same technique using the Bypass parameter on the Studio One Room Reverb plugin. No luck. As expected, the Bypass only silenced (not reset) the reverb for the duration of the bypass. When Bypass was disabled, the reverb was still ringing.

I hope this helps.

-r

17 posts
Page 1 of 1