34 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
This says solved but i thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I forgot that once you solve a problem on presonus on A song, it doesn't solve the problem on THAT song. I got my Roland working on a new song and went back and it didn't work on what i was working on. I remembered that it'll work going forward but I just have to deal with what I already started. Its not a problem, its a feature
by PreAl on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:57 pm
If you have an issue I suggest your start a new thread, you'll need to supply a lot more info (no idea what you are trying to get across).

This is my thread, I am the OP. I've renamed the topic to something more useful as there are a load of tips here for A300 (etc) users

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by PreAl on Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:09 am
Just adding this for reference (might help others).

Add new keyboard
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A300 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 1
Send To = A-PRO
Tick Enable MP3
Then go to the Mixer, click "External" tab, select A300 Pro and "EDIT" - then MIDI learn the surface knobs. They should work, if not you need separate controller and keyboard setup (see beginning of thread). For some reason this would not work before.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by frank.crow on Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:57 pm
jpettit wroteI suggest you start over.
1) delete you two devices
2) add just one Keyboard controller
3) Make sure it inputs MIDI notes and can MDI learn.

If it doesn't STOP and report what it is doing along with pictures of the device window and how you set it up.
This was just brought to my attention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnX27Yqn84
and
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2819727

Did you already reference this?

I suggest you create a support ticket and you can hope that another A300 user sees this.

IT very strange that a major brand an common keyboard would not work as both the keyboard and MDI learn the controls.

The first video is how I learned to set up my A 800 Pro. To date it is the only method I’ve found that worked for me and I’ve used it for years. I was super frustrated and I searched and searched unsuccessfully until I stumbled on that one and I’ve guarded that method in a special folder on my desktop and on a separate drive just in case my system crashes.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by frank.crow on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:02 pm
PreAl wroteJust adding this for reference (might help others).

Add new keyboard
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A300 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 1
Send To = A-PRO
Tick Enable MP3
Then go to the Mixer, click "External" tab, select A300 Pro and "EDIT" - then MIDI learn the surface knobs. They should work, if not you need separate controller and keyboard setup (see beginning of thread). For some reason this would not work before.

My method is slightly different:

1st Device:
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A 800 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 1
Send To = A-PRO
(Make default)

2nd Device:
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A 800 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 2
Send To = A-PRO

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by PreAl on Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:48 pm
frank.crow wroteMy method is slightly different:

1st Device:
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A 800 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 1
Send To = A-PRO
(Make default)

2nd Device:
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A 800 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 2
Send To = A-PRO

If you read the thread from the beginning you will notice that is what I used to do (first post, second screenshot). Not any more.

by frank.crow on Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:43 pm
PreAl wrote
frank.crow wroteMy method is slightly different:

1st Device:
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A 800 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 1
Send To = A-PRO
(Make default)

2nd Device:
Manufacturer = Roland
Device name = A 800 PRO
Receive From = A-PRO 2
Send To = A-PRO

If you read the thread from the beginning you will notice that is what I used to do (first post, second screenshot). Not any more.

Not really necessary to get offended my intention was just to be helpful.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by PreAl on Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:11 pm
frank.crow wrote
Not really necessary to get offended my intention was just to be helpful.

Nowhere here does it say I'm offended.

If you follow the full thread, and bother to read the opening post, it will give you full instructions on how to move from a two device setup to one device and retain exactly the same functionality with keyboard and controller. That was the original purpose of the entire thread.

It's a much neater and more optimal solution than the default setup, which is what you are running now, and what I had it set up previously. It took a lot of head scratching to achieve it but I got there in the end.

by frank.crow on Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:42 am
PreAl wrote
jpettit wrotehttps://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=156319#p156319
THere may be a configuration you have to do in A 300 to align the controller data and MIDI data on the same port.

OK this was the trigger ^^ so thanks!

SOLVED

Although there could be a better way, this works. If you are an A300 user let me know.

Anyway this is what I needed to do on the keyboard itself, hopefully this will help other users.

Press ACT and "<" at the same time.
Use the value knob until you see "SYSTEM SETTINGS" and select.
Use the value knob until you see "OMNI" and select.
Turn OMNI ON and select.
(b) Will now fully work and I can delete (c).

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and wonder how to do it without OMNI but it works right now.

Appreciate everybodies help!

Thanks so much

This fix worked for me.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)

by ericherrmann on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:41 am
Hi there,

I'm new to S1 coming from Sonar and owning an A800Pro.

I was looking for some information on how to use my A800Pro with S1 and ended up on this thread.
I very much appreciate the information provided, I have tested both methods (1 and 2 controllers) and both work perfectly.

I was just thinking that it could be interesting to put more 'theory' on why it does work with one single device by activating the Omni = On
@PreAl: all credits to you for sure but you mentioned it worked like this without a real explanation behind.

Well the answer is very simple:

The A800 has got 2 separate outputs as you've already noticed.
The trick now is that if it does only work for you by defining 2 devices in S1 this is because the control map you are using is affecting part of the midi messages to one output and the others messages to the second output. Typically the keyboard keys would be sent through one output and the controls to the other output.

You can leave it like this, this is not a problem but IMO this is better having only one single device to manage in S1.

How to do it? basically you have 2 options:

Option 1: if you edit your control map with the A800Pro editor you can specify, for each controller, which output will be used to send the midi message to S1. Here you can define only one output OR both outputs. Of course if you want to define only one device in S1 you need to do it for ALL A800Pro controllers (buttons, faders, switches etc...)

Option 2: Set Omni = On. Why does it work also this way? Simple: because setting Omni = On does change/overwrite the transmit midi channel BUT it does also overwrite the midi output to which the controllers are sending. Say that your controllers by default are sending to A800 Out 2. If you set Omni = On all your controllers will send to both A800 Out 1 AND A800 Out 2

Again I certainly don't want to get any credit on the solution as it was not brought by me but as I like to fully understand why things work, I thought it would be interesting to explain it in more details.

Cheers
Eric
by AngusY on Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:13 pm
Can any of you A300 Pro owners comment on whether it supports soft takeover of plugin parameters in Studio One? By this I mean, when you grab a knob or fader on the A300 that has been mapped to software knob/fader in one of your plugins, or in the studio one mixer window, does the software knob "jump" immediately to whatever value the physical knob is set to on the A300? Or, does the software wait to respond until your physical knob crosses the value already established on the software knob? This is a very important feature for my workflow.

Also, how many banks of knobs/faders does the A300 have? Are you limited to 9 knobs and 9 faders, or are the multiple banks supporting 18/27/etc. of each?

This controller looks great - from a physical standpoint it's exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone can weigh in on the above questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
by PreAl on Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:48 am
AngusY wroteCan any of you A300 Pro owners comment on whether it supports soft takeover of plugin parameters in Studio One? By this I mean, when you grab a knob or fader on the A300 that has been mapped to software knob/fader in one of your plugins, or in the studio one mixer window, does the software knob "jump" immediately to whatever value the physical knob is set to on the A300? Or, does the software wait to respond until your physical knob crosses the value already established on the software knob? This is a very important feature for my workflow.

Also, how many banks of knobs/faders does the A300 have? Are you limited to 9 knobs and 9 faders, or are the multiple banks supporting 18/27/etc. of each?

This controller looks great - from a physical standpoint it's exactly what I'm looking for. If anyone can weigh in on the above questions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sorry for late response.

The buttons appear to immediately jump, maybe there is another mode, don't know.

I haven't figured out if there are multiple banks yet, if they exist at all, so I'll just point to the manual:
https://www.roland.com/uk/support/by_pr ... s_manuals/

by PreAl on Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:55 am
WORKAROUND - Getting A300 Pro to work with Analog Lab V without interfering with Studio One device mappings (sadly Studio One mappings cannot be bypassed).

*You will lose your existing A300 Studio One CC mappings*

The trick here is to just make sure your Studio One map does not conflict with the Arturia map.

Instructions

Download and execute A-PRO Editor.
Select a control map on your A-300 keyboard (say 1).
File->Open->"StudioOne.mid"
Hit Transmit and then Continue.

Select a control map on your A-300 keyboard (say 2).
File->Open->"Arturia.mid"
Hit Transmit and then Continue.

Select Studio One Map on A300 (did you use 1?)
Edit device, delete all your control assignments, and new ones via MIDI learn. You could also try the XML file I've provided.

Open Analog Lab plugin, hit cog icon, goto MIDI.
Select Keylab MKII/Scale.

You are done. Just select the Artura control map if you need Analog map to work, otherwise StudioOne map for the rest of your plugins.

See attached ZIP file.

If anybody has a better way (banks?) let me know. This is just one approach.

Ultimately the real solution is to get this plugin to work properly with Studio One, not sure if it's the plugin itself at fault (likely) or studio one. Discussion about that is here:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=49471

UPDATE -

Updated attachment on this post, the Arturia map had L1-L8 buttons that had same values as the Studio One map, now they are different (I haven't given them any values that are significant to the Arturia map (CC30-38), if anybody knows any good assignment buttons for Keylab MKII please let me know what the CC's are and we could use them)

Attachments
StudioOneArtura.zip
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 45 times

by barbarapalmer1 on Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:59 pm
Thank you. I have been trying to do this for ages and had no idea where to start. It’s starting to make sense now. I had previously set presonus audio interface up with Roland a600 which enabled me to use the keyboard but was unable to figure out what all the knobs etc did. I’m to have a try now to see if I can get it working properly to its full potential. :reading: :reading:

34 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2