34 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hello

Before I ask the question please be familiar with my setup, I have a single A300 keyboard that has controller with it like this.

Please note how it's been set up:

a) This shows how I've set up my Roland A300 Pro keyboard/controller (Please ignore the Faderport):
A300 Pro.PNG
A300 Pro.PNG (7.33 KiB) Viewed 18770 times

b) I've set up a device here for it. The keyboard, the notes and pitch bend will play here but MIDI learn will not work so can't use controller features here, I can only play the notes on the keyboard! (plus pitch bend etc).
A300 - keyboard.PNG

c) So I've set up another device here for the same keyboard. With this I can set up the controller features and MIDI LEARN will work without an issue, but the keyboard notes and pitch bend will not play!
A300 controller.PNG

So..
It works fine if I use both (b) + (c),

What I want to do?

Please observe (a) (b) (c) !

Combine working features of (b) + (c) into a single device rather than split it over two.

Thanks.
Last edited by PreAl on Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm
Why?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:49 pm
jpettit wroteWhy?

I don't know why I can't do this. I should be able to have just one running device for this not two. If you don't have a solution for this or thoughts on how I can get this resolved that is fine. For me I've spent absolutely ages on this and it's really bugging me. Many thanks.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm
Why do you want to combine the same keyboard under two device names?

Is the something that is not working for you?

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:09 pm
jpettit wroteWhy do you want to combine the sane keyboard under two device names?

Is the something that is not working for you?

The only way I can get it to work is to create two devices as I've explained. Creating just ONE device does not work, as stated I just want it to be ONE device.

Please refer to OP for further detail.

PreAl wroteIt works fine if I use both (b) + (c),

What I want to do?

Please observe (a) (b) (c) !

Combine working features of (b) + (c) into a single device rather than split it over two.

Thanks.

If you look at what I wrote next to (b) and (c) you will observe the difficulties.

by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:10 pm
I suggest you start over.
1) delete you two devices
2) add just one Keyboard controller
3) Make sure it inputs MIDI notes and can MDI learn.

If it doesn't STOP and report what it is doing along with pictures of the device window and how you set it up.
This was just brought to my attention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnX27Yqn84
and
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2819727

Did you already reference this?

I suggest you create a support ticket and you can hope that another A300 user sees this.

IT very strange that a major brand an common keyboard would not work as both the keyboard and MDI learn the controls.

by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:15 pm
jpettit wroteI suggest you start over.
1) delete you two devices
2) add just one Keyboard controller
3) Make sure it inputs MIDI notes and can MDI learn.

If it doesn't STOP and report what it is doing along with pictures of the device window and how you set it up.

I've already done that.

I've set up a single device like (b) and that didn't work for the reasons I've explained next to (b).

I also set up a single device like (c) above. The same issues occur as explained on (c) above.

So the only way I could get it fully working was to set both up.

Observe (a) on how I set up (b) and/or (c). Thanks.

by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:24 pm
We posted at the same time.
See my update.

by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm
jpettit wroteThis was just brought to my attention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFnX27Yqn84
and
http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2819727

Did you already reference this?

I suggest you create a support ticket and you can hope that another A300 user sees this.

IT very strange that a major brand an common keyboard would not work as both the keyboard and MDI learn the controls.

Thanks

Yes I've already seen the video but not the Cakewalk forums link, will check.
And yes was hoping an A300 or user with similar keyboard may turn up (FYI using latest drivers and firmware in case anybody asks).

Thx for your help.

by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:37 pm
I am guessing that keyboard sends MIDI data out one port and Controller data out another port?

Don't know no never seen it six years here.

Please look at you PM as I ask you permission to clean up the other thread.

by jpettit on Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm
viewtopic.php?p=156319#p156319
Also look at Jeff's question here.
You can see MIDI data coming into S12 via the monitor.
THere may be a configuration you have to do in A 300 to align the controller data and MIDI data on the same port.

by Jemusic on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:25 pm
Have you had this for a while? Have you seen it work with another DAW? I had a quick look at the manual and it may look like you have to set up every control to send out. Have you done that. (I could be wrong on that)

Are you using USB or midi? Have you tried it over Midi? I have never been a fan of the USB connection for things like this.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 pm
Jemusic wroteHave you had this for a while? Have you seen it work with another DAW? I had a quick look at the manual and it may look like you have to set up every control to send out. Have you done that. (I could be wrong on that)

Are you using USB or midi? Have you tried it over Midi? I have never been a fan of the USB connection for things like this.

Using USB won't be using MIDI cables sorry :)

As you can see in the OP I can get everything working, but I have to use two devices. It won't work with just one device (it's an either/or scenario), that's the root issue.

Appreciated!

@jpettit - Need to play catch up will check.

by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:19 pm
jpettit wrotehttps://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=156319#p156319
Also look at Jeff's question here.
You can see MIDI data coming into S12 via the monitor.
THere may be a configuration you have to do in A 300 to align the controller data and MIDI data on the same port.

Yeah good idea.

So via monitoring I can confirm..

Controller events coming in channel 1 IN A-PRO2.
Keyboard events coming in channel 1 IN A-PRO1.

See (a) in OP.

As for the rest will need to sleep on it. Thx.

by PreAl on Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:03 pm
jpettit wrotehttps://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=156319#p156319

OK this was the trigger ^^ so thanks!

SOLVED

Although there could be a better way, this works. If you are an A300 user let me know.

Anyway this is what I needed to do on the keyboard itself, hopefully this will help other users.

Press ACT and "<" at the same time.
Use the value knob until you see "SYSTEM SETTINGS" and select.
Use the value knob until you see "OMNI" and select.
Turn OMNI ON and select.
(b) Will now fully work and I can delete (c).

I'll probably wake up tomorrow and wonder how to do it without OMNI but it works right now.

Appreciate everybodies help!

by PreAl on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:04 am
For the sake of completion/reference I'll paste the other stuff from the Sonar forums that was very useful.

Note though he does not set up OMNI mode so he is setting up two devices for one keyboard like I was, so see see my previous post on how to simplify this to one device.

Thanks

icontakt wroteHere you go!

Step 1: A-Pro Hardware

1. Power on A-500Pro.

2. Make sure the Merge button on the left panel is set to OFF.

3. Press the [ACT] button and the left arrow button simultaneously, turn the Value knob and select System Setting > Startup Memory > "LAST ACC MAP"

4. Press the [ACT] button and the left arrow button simultaneously, turn the Value knob and select System Setting > L Function > "L9"

Step 2: A-Pro Editor

1. Launch A-Pro Editor and select "19" from the Control Map drop-down, then press [Receive]. (A-Pro Editor receives Control Map 19 "Sonar ACT Map 2" data from your A-500Pro)
- For non-Sonar users reading this, select any of 01-14 (maps for daws) instead of 19.

2. In the Title field, change the name from "SONAR ACT Map 2" to "Studio One Map."

3. Click B2 and select "Latch" from the Button Mode drop-down and click OK. Do the same to B3 and B4.

4. If you want to use your expression pedal to control a soft synth's modulation (rotary speaker, hihat pedal, etc.), click the Express (P2) and select "Channel Message" from the Assign Message drop-down, "Contro Change" from the Type drop-down, and choose "1" from the Control Number field. Click OK to exit.

5. Go to File > Save As and save the map you have just edited.

6. Select one map that you don't use from the Control Map drop-down (I chose 17 because I don't use SD-50).

7. Click [Transmit]. (A-Pro Editor transmits the "Studio One Map" to A-500Pro and overwrites the map 17)

Step 3: Studio One - Options

1. Launch Studio One 2 and click your audio interface icon shown in the Setup section. (This will open Options)

2. Select the External Device tab and click [Add].

3. Select [New Keyboard] and enter the device model name "Roland A-PRO 1" and the manufacturer name (Roland), then select "A-PRO 1" from the [Receive From] drop-down, and "A-PRO" from the [Send to] drop-down.

4. Check [Default Instrument Input] and click OK to exit.

5. Click [Add] again and select [New Keyboard] and enter the device model name, this time "Roland A-PRO 2," and the manufacturer name (Roland), then select "A-PRO 2" from the [Receive From] drop-down, and [A-PRO] from the "Send to" drop-down.

6. This time, DO NOT check [Default Instrument Input]. Click OK to exit.

7. Click OK and exit the Options menu.

Step 4: Studio One - Control Link

1. Create a new Song (project).

2. Press F3 to open the console. Then click [External].

3. Double-click [A-PRO 2] under the External Device pane that appeared.

4. Enlarge the keyboard window that opened.

5. Click the MIDI Learn button and turn the R1 knob on your A-500Pro. You see a knob appear on the keyboard window. Do the same to all other controls on the A-Pro, in this order if you like: R knobs > S sliders > A pads > B buttons > L buttons (incl. L9)

6. Right-click on each knob (except R1-9) and select the appropriate controller shape (e.g. "Fader" for S1-9, "Button (press/release)" for A1-8, "Button on/off" for B1-4, "Button (press/release)" for L1-9.)

7. Double-click the name under/beside each knob/slider/pad/button and rename like "R1" "R2" if you like.

8. Click [MIDI Learn] to turn it off.

9. Right-click on each L button and assign the following commands if you like:

L1 = Transport - Go to Loop Start
L2 = Transport - Rewind
L3 = Transport - Forward
L4 = Transport - Go to Loop End
L5 = Transport - Stop
L6 = Transport - Toggle Start
L7 = (I wish there was a "Pause" command)
L8 = Transport - Record
L9 = Transport - Click (=metronome)

10. Close the keyboard window.

Step 5: Studio One - Project

1. Load a soft synth (let's use Mojito) onto the new Song. Note that "A-PRO 1" is automatically selected in the Input field.

2. Select "A-PRO 2" from the Focus drop-down (button) on the Mojito's property page if not already selected. And turn on this button that now says "A-PRO 2." (the button gets highlighted in orange)

3. Play the A-500Pro keyboard. The meter on the instrument track responds and you hear the sound from Mojito.

4. Turn the R1 knob. The meter on the track does not respond (this is good, don't worry).

5. Insert Tricomp to the Mojito's bus inserts. Now you see both Mojito and Tricomp on your screen. And only the one currently in focus shows the A-PRO button in orange.

6. Turn the R1 knob on your A-500Pro (the right window in the upper left corner responds). Then turn the big Cutoff knob on Mojito (the left window in the upper left corner responds). Click the bind button between the two small windows.

7. Click the Tricomp property page and, again, turn the R1 knob on your A-500Pro, then turn the big Compress knob on Tricomp. Click the bind button.

8. Now you can control the big knobs on the plugins respectively. Do you also wish to use the R1 knob to control the console's Pan slider when the focus in on the Arrange view? To do so, you have to turn off the focus button on the plugin first, then bind the pan slider and the R1 knob the same way.

9. Lastly, don't forget the L1-9 buttons. Make sure they do what they are suppose to do.

That's it. When you use Sonar, Sonar sends map 19 to A-Pro automatically so you'll be using map 19. When you use Studio One, switch off the ACT button and manually select map 17 by pressing the left arrow button until you see "CTRL MAP," then select 17. When you power off A-Pro after using Sonar, switch off the ACT button first (this will automatically switch back the map from 19 to 17) so that the next time you power on A-Pro it will call up the last map used (map 17).

Good luck! :)

by PreAl on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 am
Oh one more thing as Columbo would say.

I have a PAUSE button on this controller (part of transport controls). Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should assign this with in Studio ONE? It's not altogether obvious as there seems to be no pause on the app itself for the transport.

a300-pause.jpg
a300-pause.jpg (2 KiB) Viewed 18603 times

Thanks!

by PreAl on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:01 pm
For the record, discussion of mapping B1, B2, B3, B4 here:
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27955

by PreAl on Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:13 pm
PreAl wroteOh one more thing as Columbo would say.

I have a PAUSE button on this controller (part of transport controls). Does anybody have any suggestions as to what I should assign this with in Studio ONE? It's not altogether obvious as there seems to be no pause on the app itself for the transport.

a300-pause.jpg

Thanks!

Answer is to assign a Macro as below thanks to adamthomas5:

adamthomas5 wroteOne of the first macros I had to search for (how do people use a DAW without it?):

Title: Override Return on Stop
Commands:
Transport | Return to Start on Stop (State 0)
Transport | Stop
Transport | Return to Start on Stop (State 1)

I couldn't find it on the Exchange, but I found a post somewhere, and it's easy enough to make macros. One other thing: you need to enable "return to start on stop" by right clicking on the stop button in the transport. I assigned the space bar to normal start/stop and the enter key to pause. Works just like Sonar.

by PreAl on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:57 am
Here's an A300 Gotcha under Kontakt, whereby the volume will always be automated via S9.
viewtopic.php?f=151&t=28573&p=162062#p162062

34 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2