6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Peeps,

I'm new here, having just crossgraded from SONAR to Studio One Pro.

One thing that has got me scratching my head at the moment is, I do not understand why the Bit Depth shown on the Audio Device page is showing 32bit when the OCTA-CAPTURE only interfaces with a PC at 24bit.

I generally keep everything 24bit which is ample for what I do, as a hobbyist.

If I export a mix, I am get the chance to change the bit depth in the dialog box presented.

Whereas if I bounce a MIDI clip to an audio track it bounces at 32bit. Not a problem I suppose, but I am just curious as to why I cannot change the default bounce bit depth the same as I can with the mix down bit depth.

Unless, of course, I am missing something, which is highly likely as I have jumped in the deep end here...

Any ideas?

cheers, and thanks in advance,

andy

Home Page | SoundCloud | Bandcamp

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum | |Studio One Pro | Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
by Lawrence on Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:38 am
Hi Andy,

Studio One's direct bounces (bounce in place, etc) render at 32-bit float. IIRC, this was done to remove any situation where a bounce would ever clip the audio file. In other words, when operating at 32-bit float internally (like all modern daws do) nothing clips internally and likewise, no matter where your levels at any given moment, direct bounces will never clip the bounced audio file.

Despite the common misconceptions surrounding gain staging, it's largely irrelevant internally.

In Song Setup you can change the bit depth for recording and other drag and drop exports. If that's set to 24-bit for example, dragging an audio file to the browser to export will render a 24-bit file, etc. It's probably best to leave that set at 24-bit as recording 32-bit float is generally a waste of hard disk space.

The Mixdown and Stem Export dialogs let you choose the bit depth of those exports on a case by case basis.

Hope that helps.
by andymorris2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:23 am
Thank you very much Lawrence, that helps a lot. I didn't consider that, regardless of an audio interface's specifications that software would/could operate at a higher bit depth. But yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

Like you say, disk space may become an issue at some point. I would have to archive finished projects earlier than I normally do, which is sometimes never haha!

One thing I have tried, before posting here, was opening a bounced track from 32 to 24 bit and Studio One doesn't mind one bit. In hindsight, though, I'm thinking that is a bad idea as I should leave any dithering for SO to do.

All good fun :D

Thanks again,

andy

Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | SONAR Platinum | |Studio One Pro | Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
by Lokeyfly on Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:54 am
As Lawrence stated. 32 bit floating point internal processing is simply that internal bit resolution, crunching out what it needs to, be it bouncing, or internal signal processing. This is within the confines of the DAW's processing. Most DAW's, and many signal processors handle audio manipulatuon within that same framework.

Lawrence wrote: Despite the common misconceptions surrounding gain staging, it's largely irrelevant internally.

Exactly true. Different entity, entirely. Gain structure, you could say dances to a different tune. :)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by Lawrence on Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:32 pm
andymorris2 wroteOne thing I have tried, before posting here, was opening a bounced track from 32 to 24 bit and Studio One doesn't mind one bit. In hindsight, though, I'm thinking that is a bad idea as I should leave any dithering for SO to do.

Yes, it's relative minutia. If there's an audible difference between 32-bit float and the same audio truncated to 24-bits, I doubt if anyone could even hear it and besides that, there's no way to even test it as the audio device reduces everything to 24-bit anyway before you hear it.

Minutia (worrying about irrelevant minutia) is the enemy of productivity. :) Make good music and let the guys at Bell Labs with the white coats worry about that stuff.
by andymorris2 on Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:37 pm
Lawrence wroteMinutia (worrying about irrelevant minutia) is the enemy of productivity. :) Make good music and let the guys at Bell Labs with the white coats worry about that stuff.

Haha! Yeah, nicely put Lawrence, and thanks again,

you too Lokeyfly :)

Back to it then :D

6 posts
Page 1 of 1