648 postsPage 4 of 33
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33
Cross workstation importing, anything much beyond what you can already get with stems and midi files, is a relative nightmare. Ask Micheal, the developer of AATranslator.

Anyway, imo, if a company was going to spend resources hacking into another company's song format it probably won't be a format that kinda just got executed, but one thats growing its user base. People who really want to move over will just finish their Sonar songs in Sonar and start new songs in something else, and export stems and midi files to back up the old stuff.

Or buy AATranslator. :)
by kenmatson on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:11 pm
Yeah writing an import / translator function would be more than a software nightmare, and could take months and months and months at the expense of almost doing anything else! If they were going to do something like that, I agree, it would be better to do it for Pro Tools or logic or Cubase and try to steal some of that huge user base!

For me, just like the post said, I'm finishing up a few sonar projects and doing everything new in Studio One. Anything that I may need to revisit, I'm either keeping to do in sonar, or exporting stems.

by PreAl on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:22 pm
kenmatson wrote it would be better to do it for Pro Tools or logic or Cubase and try to steal some of that huge user base!

Perhaps you are not aware Sonar is no more, so most Cakewalk customers are looking for a good reason to jump ship. Customers are there for the picking. Most Pro Tools and Cubase customers are likely to stay loyal to their product imho until they too face the inevitable one day.

Seems like Studio One can already import from Cubase and Pro Tools to some extent, can't see how much more of a nightmare it would be...nobody said it would be easy.

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... tudio-One-

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by kenmatson on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:46 pm
I'm quite aware! I'm a longtime sonar user who just switched a week and a half ago when Cakewalk got squashed. They can get those users without having to put such a huge investment out. I think people who have never really worked in designing or programming software have no idea how long it it can take and how hard it is to import data from disparate systems.

by PreAl on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:02 pm
kenmatson wroteI'm quite aware! I'm a longtime sonar user who just switched a week and a half ago when Cakewalk got squashed. They can get those users without having to put such a huge investment out. I think people who have never really worked in designing or programming software have no idea how long it it can take and how hard it is to import data from disparate systems.

Well sorry but you made totally the wrong assumption, I am actually a .NET dev (C++ and C#) and used to work in Silicon valley believe it or not. Anyway we are newbies here I think it's probably not a good idea to speculate how Presonus make their development decisions, nor does it serve any useful purpose to speculate imho. You or I don't even have access to the code base. Onwards.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by Lawrence on Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:10 pm
PreAl wroteSeems like Studio One can already import from Cubase and Pro Tools to some extent, can't see how much more of a nightmare it would be...nobody said it would be easy.

It's far from easy and the ones who do it really well like AAT don't get anywhere close to a complete and full translation which would be, in a perfect world, everything... edits, plugins, instruments, fades, takes, etc etc. You'd spend 6 months working on that and the other company changes their format (see Kontakt nki's no longer importing into Presence) and it doesn't work anymore.

On the other hand some song formats are readable text or xml, not binary, like Reaper or Ardour or Tracktion, making translating them a good bit easier. No clue what a Sonar song file looks like. I suspect it's binary. If it's xml or something, yeah, that's not all that difficult., to translate the basic stuff,
by billsaunders1 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:10 am
I just wanted to add my thanks for the really warm welcome you have given us Sonar guys. It makes a HUGE difference in such a positive way. I have bought Studio One and am looking forward to getting started.

Thank you all.

Bill

https://billsaunders.hearnow.com/

https://genius.com/artists/Bill-saunders

https://soundcloud.com/bill-saunders

Studio One Pro5.5 Win11 64bit i7-12700 32GB ram, FaderPort 16, Focusrite 8i6 3rd gen
by Sacalait on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:44 am
Workflow Questions:

Sonar allows one to change the DAW input names from the audio device to "friendly" names. For example: I use a Fireface UFX. It has 8 TRS line inputs and 4 mic pres (12 analog inputs). I have a Presonus MP20 mic preamp plugged into analog inputs 7 and 8 of the UFX. In Sonar I can NAME those inputs "Presonus MP20 Left and Right". When I want to choose the MP20, it shows on the list as "Presonus MP20 Left and Right" and NOT "analog input 7 and 8". This is awesome because I don't have to guess what's plugged into what. Can I do something similar in Studio One Pro 3.5?

In my workflow I've come to appreciate these two things in Sonar: On stop (space bar) the cursor returns to where I started (this is a preference that can be set). So if I'm on the beginning of a chorus and editing, every time I hit the space bar to stop and then space bar to start, it always starts at the beginning of the chorus. I don't have to go looking for the beginning. Less mouse clicks. I also can have the option in Sonar of the software letting me know if I can move a clip- OR NOT! For example, if I'm multi-tasking and accidently move a clip (Studio One may have different terminology for "clip") I'll get a message "do you want to move this". For some it may be aggravation but for me I WANT TO KNOW if something gets moved! I've LEFT it on for years now! How does Studio One do these?

I get VCA because it's used in a lot of different platforms and DAWS. In Sonar, I can highlight ALL the tracks I'm working on and do a global change in volume without creating a VCA. Can I highlight tracks and globally change volume or send adjustments or is that done with VCA's only?

I'm guessing all the data (wave files, automation) gets stored in the folder I created when I created a song in Studio One?

In Sonar I can create a "Bundle", which is essentially a "packed" version of the song that contains all the wave files and automation. I can upload that to my cloud service as one file. Anything similar in SO?

Workflow question! In Sonar: When I'm finished with a song I bounce to a track and apply mastering FX's THERE (in the same project). I then export it to whatever (44.1 wave file for pressing, MP3, etc.). I know SO has "Songs" and "Projects". I'm assuming Projects are for mastering. Right? So what sequence of events do you power users go through to get the mixed track of a song to a project?

I like how I can see the FX that are loaded on a track in Sonar- in the track view. I didn't notice I could see them the same way in SO. Right?

Thanks in advance
Pershing
by jpettit on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:58 am
Sacalait wroteWorkflow Questions:

1) Sonar allows one to change the DAW input names from the audio device to "friendly" names. For example: I use a Fireface UFX. It has 8 TRS line inputs and 4 mic pres (12 analog inputs). I have a Presonus MP20 mic preamp plugged into analog inputs 7 and 8 of the UFX. In Sonar I can NAME those inputs "Presonus MP20 Left and Right". When I want to choose the MP20, it shows on the list as "Presonus MP20 Left and Right" and NOT "analog input 7 and 8". This is awesome because I don't have to guess what's plugged into what. Can I do something similar in Studio One Pro 3.5?

2) In my workflow I've come to appreciate these two things in Sonar: On stop (space bar) the cursor returns to where I started (this is a preference that can be set). So if I'm on the beginning of a chorus and editing, every time I hit the space bar to stop and then space bar to start, it always starts at the beginning of the chorus. I don't have to go looking for the beginning. Less mouse clicks. I also can have the option in Sonar of the software letting me know if I can move a clip- OR NOT! For example, if I'm multi-tasking and accidently move a clip (Studio One may have different terminology for "clip") I'll get a message "do you want to move this". For some it may be aggravation but for me I WANT TO KNOW if something gets moved! I've LEFT it on for years now! How does Studio One do these?

3) I get VCA because it's used in a lot of different platforms and DAWS. In Sonar, I can highlight ALL the tracks I'm working on and do a global change in volume without creating a VCA. Can I highlight tracks and globally change volume or send adjustments or is that done with VCA's only?

4)I'm guessing all the data (wave files, automation) gets stored in the folder I created when I created a song in Studio One?

4a) In Sonar I can create a "Bundle", which is essentially a "packed" version of the song that contains all the wave files and automation. I can upload that to my cloud service as one file. Anything similar in SO?

5) Workflow question! In Sonar: When I'm finished with a song I bounce to a track and apply mastering FX's THERE (in the same project). I then export it to whatever (44.1 wave file for pressing, MP3, etc.). I know SO has "Songs" and "Projects". I'm assuming Projects are for mastering. Right? So what sequence of events do you power users go through to get the mixed track of a song to a project?

6) I like how I can see the FX that are loaded on a track in Sonar- in the track view. I didn't notice I could see them the same way in SO. Right?

Thanks in advance
Pershing

1) Yes, look at the I/O section in the manual. Ther are several ways to get to it but one is the far left of the mixer click I/O and change then names as well as configure mono or stereo pairs.

2) Yes, look for Return to start option in the manual. Found in two places the menu and right mouse click the transport.

3) Yes, Select all tracks* and move one of the faders down. Ther is no command but there is a macro found in the Studio One Exchange that I use.

4) Yes, Audio file in media subdirectory, Automation in the song file.
4a) Kind of, In S1 you Archive (Zip, tar, etc) the song directory and copy it to your destination

5) Yes, under Song menu, update master. or create the project from the song. Forget your previous workflow and learn about using the Project page in the manual. Make sure you add the song file to the project so you can drill down to make edits in your source file and keep you Master project automatically in sync.

6) Read the fundamental Philosophical differences in the OP. S1 has Tracks and Channels. They are different objects and have different functions. Inserts are part of the Audio flow and show up in the Channel (SPLAT treated them as the same thing. )

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by jpettit on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:04 am
billsaunders1 wroteI just wanted to add my thanks for the really warm welcome you have given us Sonar guys. It makes a HUGE difference in such a positive way. I have bought Studio One and am looking forward to getting started.

Thank you all.

Bill

Thank you, Bill and all there other new Sonar customers giving thanks.
Soon you will be helping others in this community get comfortable with Studio One. ;)

SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by tjarkobusink on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:36 pm
Just a note to let you know I'm beyond happy how everything turns out. I've migrated two albums worth of songs, mixing and mastering in PreSonus now (within a week), and even recorded and quasi mixed an entire song today. I love it. I work twice at fast, and this is no joke. :D

It's probably an illusion but everything sounds cleaner. Both recording and mixing is easier.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | Intel Core i7 8700 @ 3,20Ghz processor } Two NVMe Samsung SSD (970's, 1 and 2Tb) | 32GB DDR4 (@3200Mhz) memory | Asus Prime Z370-A motherboard | Dell U3419W with 2047Mb NVIDEA GeForce GT 1030 graphics card | RME Fireface UC sound interface | PreSonus ATOM SQ | Arturia Keylab 49 Essential

My new solo album

my band Through The Branches
by P-Theory on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:26 pm
I think it is a really nice touch that you have taken the time to make us feel welcome and directly address some initial changes to terminology etc.

I’m sure I’ll be bombarding with questions about how to do things as I go along
by johnnygeib2 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:52 pm
P-Theory wroteI think it is a really nice touch that you have taken the time to make us feel welcome and directly address some initial changes to terminology etc.

I’m sure I’ll be bombarding with questions about how to do things as I go along

Never hesitate to ask even the most basic of questions. We will help if we can.

Here is a link to the 4 video playlist of Sonar Users videos I've done so far if it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2MuJUY ... mBDAVkUbso

by 6stringer1 on Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 pm
I would also like to thank everyone here in the forum for the warm welcome to Sonar users.
I have used Cakewalk products for over 20 years so the recent events were unexpected to say the least. I purchased Studio One a week ago and am very happy. I have been able to quickly start recording, editing, and mixing. It will take a while to get up to speed but I'm happy with the start.
One of the things that was always special about Cakewalk was the Users Forum. It really provided a place where people could share ideas, music, and help/support each other. Before I bought the software I spent some time on this forum just looking around. Seems like a good place to hang my hat!
People here seem friendly, knowledgeable and willing to help. That makes all the difference in the world when you're trying to learn a new way to create good music. I still can't get over all of the tutorials, videos etc. that are available! Very cool!

Thanks
Rebel
by ahsanzaman on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:48 pm
I am having issues with Kontakt 5. No matter what I do, I cannot get sound from it. It is receiving midi signals from my KB. And the bars are moving and stuff but no sound. I have successfully used drum software like BFD and JAmstix. So I am not sure what the issue is. Help please...
by jpettit on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:14 pm
Check that the Kontakt audio channels are in fact configured as channels I the S1 mixer.

by ahsanzaman on Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:28 pm
Thanks. I believe it is. In the mixer I see a KOntakt channel pointed to the main output. IS that what you mean? Is that what you mean?

Attachments
Capture.PNG
by jpettit on Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:12 am
Well, that and the Kontakt send the sound out of its mains.
Sometimes it can be a mismatch between what the Synth output and the channels set up in S1.

For grins open up al the other output channels on Kontakt in the mixer ( left side)

So it works fine in other DAWS?

by Sacalait on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 am
Thank you jpettit!
by chrismarshall2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:33 am
Another Sonar Platinum refugee here. Wanted to thank both Presonus, as well as the user community for the huge welcome and support.

Really liking S1 so far. Took a few hours to start getting my head around things, and sure - there are Splat features that would be great to migrate over time.

Is there a Coffee House section in these forums? :D

Cheers!
Wood

Wood

Windows 10 (1909), i9 9900k, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface Pro, S1 Pro 4.6

648 postsPage 4 of 33
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33