21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2
Hi all, just to share how I got Studio One (and Fruity 11) working on Ubuntu using Wine...

I couldn't get the 64 bit S1 to work so anyway the 32 bit worked seamlessly. I'm not saying that the 64 bit won't work on Wine but having succeeded with 32 bit, I'm not going through all that aggro again :-) just to prove a technical point. Interestingly, my FLStudio is similar so I'm using the 32 bit of that too.

Fonts and things
Normally, missing fonts and gdi are the problem but after some lengthy investigations, this is what i needed .. and not needed :

Wine
-Get Wine installed on your Linux..

- Under the 'add a font' In Winetricks, you need to make sure you have mscorefonts installed
- Under the 'add a Windows dll' in Winetricks, you need to add gdiplus installed AND gdiplus x86 and nothing else is required. I don't know what these gdi things do, but it took me ages to figure how to install them and where they were in Winetricks.
- All the Wine settings in Wineconfig remain unchanged.

* Wine ASIO and Jack.. aghhhh - the road to madness
- I have no ASIO drivers installed for Fruity or S1 other than my Focusrite 2i2 sound card.
- I have no Jack or drivers installed.
- I use Pulseaudio (the default Ubuntu sound software).

Midi Controller
Both 32 bit FL & S1 versions recognise my MAudio Oxygen 25 usb keyboard / midi controller.
The desktop plugin version of Pianissimo recognises my keyboard too and can be played standalone with no DAW.

Plugins
Sylenth does not work so far - don't know why but can't be bothered anymore.
Cakewalk z3ta2+ does work. Just bought it, sound SUPERB - and has a desktop plugin too.
Cakewalk Session drummer does work.

Hope this helps bcos music prodcution on Linux is completely clapped out for normal types like me.

Have fun ! .. Hughie
by -Luis- on Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:47 pm
Thanks for posting,I think that will help Linux users, good job. :)
by Kiwicomposer on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:14 pm
Hmm very interesting.

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x
iMac's & MacBookAir all running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by Rickshapiro on Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:13 am
Good job. I've given up forcing Windows apps in Linux, just not fun and great rewards. I am a big fan of Linux but use Tracktion and Mixbus as they have native versions.
by -Luis- on Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:41 pm
I'm running Studio One in Ubuntu 14.04.1 without any problems. :D
by mortenmichaellindahl on Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:36 pm
Does anyone have the 64 bit version working?
by Lawrence on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:27 pm

Oh, sorry. You said Linux. :mrgreen:
by Lawrence on Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:29 pm
-Luis- wroteI'm running Studio One in Ubuntu 14.04.1 without any problems. :D

Dude, you have every OS under the sun. :D

You probably have S1 running on Sun, OS1, Next & Atari. :mrgreen:
by jaywelter on Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:06 am
You mean under the Oracle, lol. Oracle bought Sun, a few years back!

I'm real eager to get off M$ and would love to find a decent How-to to get S1 64 on Ubuntu 64!

Much Love!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soft Creative: Studio One Artist (3.5.5), Ableton Live Lite (9.0), LMMS (1.1.3)
Hard Creative: PreSonus AudioBox USB 96, M-Audio Keystation 49, MidiPlus AKM320, AudioTechnica AT2020
Monitoring: JBL LSR305 x2, Budget closed-back studio headphones.
Workstation cluster: Dell Dual Quad Xeon 3 GHz / 20 GB Win 7 Ultimate x64 (DAW - S1, Ableton) / Dell Single Quad 3 GHz / 8 GB Win 7 Ultimate x64 (Server - files, media, web, etc. / DAW - LMMS)
by bstin on Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:18 am
Given the new announcement of Wine 5 and all the improvements that have happened over the last year now that Steam is backing Wine....has anyone managed to get S1 reliably running under Linux?

I understand this will never be officially supported, but I would love to ditch Mac OSX and their overpriced hardware and move to Linux....
by broganking on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:03 pm
bstin wroteGiven the new announcement of Wine 5 and all the improvements that have happened over the last year now that Steam is backing Wine....has anyone managed to get S1 reliably running under Linux?

I understand this will never be officially supported, but I would love to ditch Mac OSX and their overpriced hardware and move to Linux....

Running? Yes. Running Reliably? No.

I had luck with installing Studio One 3 using wine on Ubuntu Studio. As that Ubuntu flavour supports low latency kernel and its basically just built for this purpose.

However, even though it installed fine and it works the UI flickers so much its hard not to get frustrated with it and just being productive in general is a bit of a headache.

I too am wanting to move to Linux full-time from windows. Basically I just have to come to terms with eventually ditching Studio One and use either Bitwig or Repeaer which do support Linux. Reaper is probably what I'd go with because its only $60. I've yet to dive deep into Ardour but that will also be on the cards.

Basically if you want to use Linux, you have to support companies that support Linux. Otherwise you're going to be pushing poop up a hill. Its sad, because I really like Studio One. But I also love Logic Pro... what can ya do?
by darrenporter1 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:17 pm
IMO, putting the OS ahead of the software is doing it backwards.

Pick the software that best meets your needs, then buy the system that will run it. Sometimes, that means compromises, like you need to rank you priorities... for example: DAW first, video editing second, billing/invoicing third... etc and the further you go down the list the more compromises you can make.

I love the concept of Linux, and do dabble in it from time to time, but it's just not there yet in the audio world so I'm not going to choose inferior software just to feel good about using Linux instead of Windows/MacOS. Too many compromises for me.

Of course, all standard disclaimers apply... YMMV... just my opinion... if you are happy with your choice that's all that really matters in the end... who really cares what I think anyways... etc... etc... etc... Don't want this to turn into a heated discussion as the "OS Wars" often do. 8-) :mrgreen:

And FWIW... if S1 did actually find its way to Linux, worked without a hitch and all of my interfaces and plugins (two major factors there) worked flawlessly... I would jump ship to Linux in a heartbeat. :geek:

Studio One Professional 5.whatever, Harrison MixBus 32c v.6
i5-8400, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, 2TB HD, Win10 Pro
UA Apollo QUAD, QUAD Satellite, PCIe DUO
FaderPort 8, Softube Console 1, JBL 306P Mk.II Monitors
by garybowling on Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:12 am
darrenporter1 wroteIMO, putting the OS ahead of the software is doing it backwards.

Hmmm, I would argue that putting the software ahead of the OS is like trying to build the kitchen before you build the foundation.

It's a real shame that audio/video vendors have not supported Linux better. It's actually the perfect platform for real time applications as the kernel can be specialized built for that purpose. Both windows and apple platforms are closed so you can't do anything in the kernel to improve audio/video, we're at their mercy and frankly these apps are down their list of importance. Real time apps are directly opposed to what most people need/want as multitasking/sharing is what's important for most things.

But the problem is that there is not widespread support from the audio hardware or software vendors for Linux. They are all trying to become as big as possible and the numbers are with windows/mac, so that's where they pour their efforts. It's understandable on their part, but the evolution of it all has opposed the best path for audio. ASIO has helped as it's a way to somewhat bypass the OS and have the software talk more or less directly to the hardware.

It'll be interesting to see what happens when windows moves on top of a linux/unix kernel. Apple already made that switch and windows is headed that direction. It doesn't make sense for them to spend many $$$ keeping up with low level hardware when you can get it all for much lower cost in the linux kernel. That won't help software that's compiled to run on top of windows, which is on top of linux, but it might bypass ASIO which in turn might help native linux. It just depends on how it's all implemented. I'm sure audio hardware companies aren't in favor of that as their ASIO drivers are part of their competitive advantage now.

It's all as much corporate politics, business, marketing, and control as anything. None of these companies want to lose revenue to open source, but sometimes they don't have a choice if the ball is rolling downhill fast enough.

gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by PreAl on Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:03 pm
First time I've heard of Windows heading to a Linux kernel, doesn't make sense to me, there's too much heavily invested in the NT kernel...fake news?

Windows is certainly becoming more Linux friendly and it comes with its own Linux that runs on top of windows, and is definitely getting more open-sourcy, but I doubt they are going to abandon their prioritry core.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Dell Inspiron 7591 (2 in 1) 16Gb.
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by garybowling on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:06 am
Yes, let me be clear, that is not an official windows position.

So, if you want to call it "fake news" as that's the moniker of the day, then go for it. It wasn't meant to be any kind of "news." It's speculation and comes with knowledge of a lot of windows developers that are my friends along with almost 40 years of working in the industry.

So take it for what it's worth, nothing! It's just a conversation on a forum.

Cheers, gabo

ASUS laptop (AMD 5900HX), 32G, 2x2TB SSD, Win11-64, RME UFX & BabyFace, Studio One Pro 6, Addictive Drums2, Izotope 10, Soothe2, Waves, many plugins, Melodyne Studio 5, all versions updated frequently

The Moderns,
https://open.spotify.com/artist/1x6Fd133GftlRyRYl0xgjf
by PreAl on Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:24 am
There is absolutely nothing to suggest the core will become Linux. M$ is however becoming more and more Linux compatible, however changing the core makes zero sense.

Intel i9 9900K (Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE motherboard), 32GB RAM, EVGA Geforce 1070 (Nvidia drivers).
Studio One Pro 6.x, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit, also running it on Mac OS Catalina via dual boot (experimental).
Presonus Quantum 2626, Presonus Studio 26c, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport Classic (1.45), Atom SQ, Atom Pad, Maschine Studio, Octapad SPD-30, Roland A300, a number of hardware synths.
by mozfes on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:45 am
Hey Hughie!

How did you manage to get some playback?

I installed it as you mentioned using wine tricks, and studio one starts and I can hear the input from my mic... so that's a start. However, I can't hear any playback, not ever the metronome.

I'll try reinstalling with the 32bit version and let you know how it goes, bit if you have any ideas, let me know. I'm running Linux Mint and I'm afraid I'll run into a wall...

Cheers,

Ed
by PreAl on Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:58 am
I've run Sonar on Linux Wine before. It was an interesting experiment but ultimately impractical mostly.because of VST support.

I would argue if you're going to do this, why not build a hackintosh instead, after all, MacOS is basically UNIX.

I'm running Catalina on my PC and Studio One V4 works fine.

by brianjohanson on Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:55 am
This looks like a great tutorial. I can't find a link to a Studio One 32 bit though. Where do you find that?
by PreAl on Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:14 am
brianjohanson wroteThis looks like a great tutorial. I can't find a link to a Studio One 32 bit though. Where do you find that?

V5 doesn't do 32 bit.

21 postsPage 1 of 2
1, 2