9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I FINALLY have worked out my KAT Multipad within S1 and SSD4! I am super excited about that :punk: ... but I am running into a problem. I go to lay down my first drum track with this setup, I'm monitoring the audio in my headphones and SSD4 is working great, the drums sound killer. I arm the track, press record and start playing. Sounds great as I am recording. I go back to listen to how it sounds afterwards and it sounds like someone handed sticks to a 4 year old imitating a chimpanzee. Hits are all over the place, many sounds just fall in and out of the track like the HiHat. Sometimes you hear it sometimes you don't. There is zero resemblance to what I just played. Arrgh... I am new to this stuff and need some help.

Thanks

S1 4.6 Pro / Win 10 Pro 64 / ASUS Z97-A / Intel i5-4670K 3.4 GHz / G.SKILL 32GB DDR3 / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Syba Firewire PCI-e / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, OctoPre MkII Dynamic, ISA One Analog, ISA One Digital / Presonus TubePre & FaderPort / JBL LSR305 & Roland MA-15D Monitors, JBL 2310SP Subwoofer / Mackie Big Knob / ART HeadAmp6Pro / Behringer Ha400 / Various Headphones / AOC 29" 21:9 Ultrawide / CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Mobile: Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G / i5-6200U 2.30 GHz / 32GB DDR4 / Win 10 64 / Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen / KAT Multipad / Nektar Panorama P6
by Steve Carter on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:06 pm
Have you checked to see if you have quantise on the input? This can in theory cause playback issues depending on the timing accuracy of the playing.
What version of S1 are you using? There are some midi issues re; dropped midi notes in the latest incarnation.
Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by ryevick on Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:25 pm
Steve Carter wroteHave you checked to see if you have quantise on the input? This can in theory cause playback issues depending on the timing accuracy of the playing.
What version of S1 are you using? There are some midi issues re; dropped midi notes in the latest incarnation.
Regards....

I have the latest Pro version 3.5.2.44603. I have tried the input quantize record mode and there are A LOT of dropped notes. I finally get my KAT Multipad working and now this :roll:

I laid down just a basic track and it can't record it. I have tried the same thing on Cubase AI and Reaper. No issues at all.

Is fixing MIDI drop a feature request? I suppose I'll do a support ticket. This really sucks.

S1 4.6 Pro / Win 10 Pro 64 / ASUS Z97-A / Intel i5-4670K 3.4 GHz / G.SKILL 32GB DDR3 / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti / Syba Firewire PCI-e / Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, OctoPre MkII Dynamic, ISA One Analog, ISA One Digital / Presonus TubePre & FaderPort / JBL LSR305 & Roland MA-15D Monitors, JBL 2310SP Subwoofer / Mackie Big Knob / ART HeadAmp6Pro / Behringer Ha400 / Various Headphones / AOC 29" 21:9 Ultrawide / CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD

Mobile: Acer Aspire E15 E5-575G / i5-6200U 2.30 GHz / 32GB DDR4 / Win 10 64 / Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen / KAT Multipad / Nektar Panorama P6
by ryevick on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:10 pm
OK, I don't get it... I contacted support and they said as mentioned above that 3.5.2 has drop issues with MIDI but to install 3.5.1 in parallel so I did and I am having the exact same problem. I will say that this is my first attempts at recording MIDI so maybe S1 has some steps that I am not aware of... but as I am monitoring the channel I can hear the drums via SSD4 perfectly without any latency issues or dropped notes, sounds great... very responsive. When I record a track and I am monitoring as I am recording, same thing... sounds great. I play it back and it's all out of sync and missing MIDI notes. I should not even be thinking about quantizing until after the track is laid correct? I am at a loss and pretty ticked that S1 has been a headache for so long. I am sooo close to being able to use it. I don't get it. As I mentioned earlier Cubase and REAPER have no problems whatsoever recording this. Anyone? I would like to be able to use the Pro 3 version I paid for :shock:

by Lokeyfly on Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:27 am
That's frustrating ryevick.
Two things could be happening. (3 things actually, but we can discard you play like a monkey).

First is quantizing as Steve mentioned. That's fairly easy to check by viewing the recorded midi notes. Over quantizing notes typically fall into the designated quantified setting. For example, if you quantization is set at 16th notes, then notes we be positioned out to the nearest 16th. Aaron setting of dotted 8th motes will jump to the same dotted 8th mote, etc. In some cases where settings are too quantified, such as quarter notes, the results will be notes double, or land over one another. This is because the notes effectively have no where else to go, so they land into the same segments.

The above will happen all the while the recording sounds great. You were on time, and didn't sound like a kinderartener with a new toy.

The 2nd possibility is latency (which can also aggravate the 1st issue). The fact that you hear yourself on time, even precisely to the click track has nothing to do with zero latency. It's VERY possible, you are monitoring, and hearing yourself through the outputs, and not a monitor mix which would reveal true latency. There's plenty of articles on it, but to tackle the problem at hand, check your audio interface. Your Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen probably has monitor outs. Some audio interfaces like the PreSonus audio box ones have internal mixers that route that monitor mix so that you get a truer one to one relationship so playback occurences are less distracting or even perfectly in time. Other audiobox units have VSL, which provide their own effects, so that you get to add some typical in board mixer effects like reverb, compression, EQ, without adding additional latency. So consider that to even be a third consideration. Software effects, or any additional processing in line with your recorded signal add to the latency issue. Heck even USB, and signal routing while being minimal, add to such a delay. When added up, you get exactly what you didn't bargain for. Bad resultant timing. Ok, to check for latency, make sure the first problem of quantizing is out of the way, and turned off, completely. The latency problem can now be understood because the delay of notes will be closely proportional to your click track.

Some users here have the Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen, and can give you advice on how they set up recording that works for them with Studio One. In fairness, don't put too much stock in a report ticket, because your interface is another product. Since your new to MIDI recording, take a little time to further understand latency, it's pitfalls, and its work arounds. We've all experienced it, and still do from time to time. But we get by pretty unscathed.

Since you had success with some other DAW's, you're probably dealing with more of a quantizing issue, but be on guard of both. It really pays, and my come up from time to time.

Good article on Latency, combating it, and some contributing causes.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/living-latency

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by ryevick on Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:33 am
Lokeyfly wroteThat's frustrating ryevick.
Two things could be happening. (3 things actually, but we can discard you play like a monkey).

First is quantizing as Steve mentioned. That's fairly easy to check by viewing the recorded midi notes. Over quantizing notes typically fall into the designated quantified setting. For example, if you quantization is set at 16th notes, then notes we be positioned out to the nearest 16th. Aaron setting of dotted 8th motes will jump to the same dotted 8th mote, etc. In some cases where settings are too quantified, such as quarter notes, the results will be notes double, or land over one another. This is because the notes effectively have no where else to go, so they land into the same segments.

The above will happen all the while the recording sounds great. You were on time, and didn't sound like a kinderartener with a new toy.

The 2nd possibility is latency (which can also aggravate the 1st issue). The fact that you hear yourself on time, even precisely to the click track has nothing to do with zero latency. It's VERY possible, you are monitoring, and hearing yourself through the outputs, and not a monitor mix which would reveal true latency. There's plenty of articles on it, but to tackle the problem at hand, check your audio interface. Your Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen probably has monitor outs. Some audio interfaces like the PreSonus audio box ones have internal mixers that route that monitor mix so that you get a truer one to one relationship so playback occurences are less distracting or even perfectly in time. Other audiobox units have VSL, which provide their own effects, so that you get to add some typical in board mixer effects like reverb, compression, EQ, without adding additional latency. So consider that to even be a third consideration. Software effects, or any additional processing in line with your recorded signal add to the latency issue. Heck even USB, and signal routing while being minimal, add to such a delay. When added up, you get exactly what you didn't bargain for. Bad resultant timing. Ok, to check for latency, make sure the first problem of quantizing is out of the way, and turned off, completely. The latency problem can now be understood because the delay of notes will be closely proportional to your click track.

Some users here have the Focusrite 2i2 2nd Gen, and can give you advice on how they set up recording that works for them with Studio One. In fairness, don't put too much stock in a report ticket, because your interface is another product. Since your new to MIDI recording, take a little time to further understand latency, it's pitfalls, and its work arounds. We've all experienced it, and still do from time to time. But we get by pretty unscathed.

Since you had success with some other DAW's, you're probably dealing with more of a quantizing issue, but be on guard of both. It really pays, and my come up from time to time.

Good article on Latency, combating it, and some contributing causes.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/living-latency

Thank you so much. I forgot Steve mentioned to check for quantized input. I think you are right. My answer will probably be found here and not through a support ticket. I really think it is a setting or multiple settings that just need to be adjusted within S1 (but don't rule out monkey so fast :D ). I also don't think it is a latency issue because I can record flawlessly in other DAWs using the same setup. I am listening to the monitor mix I believe though. You have given me a lot of helpful info in your reply and I appreciate that. I will hopefully have time to get into this if not tonight over the weekend. I hope you will follow this thread. Thanks again!

by ryevick on Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:36 pm
Well it looks like it is fixed :+1 I did have the quantize set at 16th notes. That was really butchering my drum track though. I'm surprised by that. I turned it off completely and it seems fine. I suppose I will have to get use to and learn S1 quantizing features. I had looked for videos on that subject early on, (I am definitely better at learning via video tutorials). I still have yet to find someone discussing playing a live MIDI drumkit and quantizing it. I would just like to see other people's methods. Are they quantizing as they are recording or after? How are they using groove and adaptation methods of quantizing? The only things I've seen are on 'programming' drum beats... not playing a v-drum kit or anything like that. No sticks involved at all. Thanks for your help guys! It is very much appreciated and I'm sure I will have many more questions before too long.

by shanabit on Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:29 am
ryevick wroteWell it looks like it is fixed :+1 I did have the quantize set at 16th notes. That was really butchering my drum track though. I'm surprised by that. I turned it off completely and it seems fine. I suppose I will have to get use to and learn S1 quantizing features. I had looked for videos on that subject early on, (I am definitely better at learning via video tutorials). I still have yet to find someone discussing playing a live MIDI drumkit and quantizing it. I would just like to see other people's methods. Are they quantizing as they are recording or after? How are they using groove and adaptation methods of quantizing? The only things I've seen are on 'programming' drum beats... not playing a v-drum kit or anything like that. No sticks involved at all. Thanks for your help guys! It is very much appreciated and I'm sure I will have many more questions before too long.

Here is my method as I had the SAME issues as you.

1. Make sure INPUT QUANTIZE is turned OFF
2. Record midi performance
3. Quantize per instrument part meaning quantize the kick to its value, select the snare and quantize to its value etc.
4. Option: Explode pitches to tracks which puts each midi note(drum part) on its OWN midi track where you can then quantize each track independently.

StudioOnePro 6.1
UA Apollo Twin
OSX Sonoma 14.2

iMac 2013
by Steve Carter on Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:32 pm
Glad you got it sorted - enjoy.... :thumbup:

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!

9 posts
Page 1 of 1