12 posts
Page 1 of 1
I have an Audiobox 1818vsl. When selecting the audio device in studio one, it doesn't appear on the list of devices. There is an "Audiobox" option, with a picture of a little 2-channel audiobox, but not the 1818. Is this just a generic option for any Audiobox device? Or should I actually be able to select an 1818vsl, specifically, on this list (but can't for some reason).

I'm trying to get z-monitoring to work, and from what I can find online it should work with an 1818vsl, but on the audio processing options page the "Enable low latency monitoring for instruments" box is greyed out. It's checked, but greyed out, so I can't actually use Z monitoring. The little Z icons are not appearing anywhere in the DAW. I feel like this is happening because I only have "Audiobox" selected on the audio devices list (the one with little pictures of each device, there are a dozen or so, but not mine), cause it's the closest option to what I actually have (an 1818vsl).

What is going on? I just want to hear my damn bass without a gigantic delay :(

Running Win 10, latest version of Studio One (3.5) and latest firmware updates for Universal Control
by Tacman7 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:58 am
What latency are you running?

I would think that should have low enough latency without Z monitoring.

The bass is audio or midi?

Good to put all your specs in your signature.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by markblomquist1 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:30 am
AMD Quad core 2.5ghz
8GB ram, 1TB HD

It's an Asus laptop that I got specifically for recording, so there's nothing else even installed on it besides win 10, studio one and sonar artist.

The smallest block size I can select in Universal Control is 64, which indeed has very low latency and would work but I get MASSIVE crackling\freezing\dropouts if I try to record like that. Even if I set my block size to 1024 which it calls "safe", I get dropouts and horrible performance AND the monitoring latency at that point is unusable for what I'm recording. I do lots of jazz fusion type stuff, so I need really precise monitoring.

I realize the laptop I'm using could be better, but the confusing thing for me is that this laptop is WAY better than my old winXP-based recording desktop, which I used with the old presonus FP10, and I never had these issues. I miss that mixer knob SO bad I don't know why they didn't include one on the 1818vsl. Even the little 2-channel audiobox has one :(

The bass is audio; just a fender mustang plugged straight into the first input on the 1818.
by mikemanthei on Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:39 am
As mentioned in your other thread I have the 1818 and do direct monitoring through Hardware. But it's done with software and not the knob on the front. If you didn't install the software that came with the hardware, you won't have the control.

So instead of having a single knob for all the inputs you get individual monitor controls for each of the eight inputs

After installing the Control software, there is an icon on the desktop called AudioBox...on the PC. I forget where it shows up on the Mac.

If you go to images.google.com and search for audio box software you can see what it looks like

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by markblomquist1 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:16 am
Wow, yeah I thought the software only consisted of just that Universal Control application, which only has a few basic settings and nothing about monitoring. I didn't realize there was additional Audiobox software.

Thanks again for the help Mike! I will see if I can get this figured out now and if not I might end up giving you a call :)
by markblomquist1 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:04 am
Okay so all I can find as far as control software for an Audiobox 1818 on presonus's website is that Universal Control app, I have a desktop icon (I'm in windows 10) for that, but not one called Audiobox.

However within Universal Control under the 'Demo' menu I found something called Studio Live 32.4.2AI and when I open that up I see a BUNCH of controls, but I can't find how you simply enable the hardware monitor for a channel like you were describing.

You'll have to forgive my general newbishness. I am really terrible at all this signal routing\aux\sends\bus etc type stuff. I don't know what half of these terms even mean. I know how to make good mixes and use compressors and eqs and get good sounding tracks and guitar tones and good drum sounds and all that type of thing, that's my forte, but everything else I'm totally useless with and it's a little embarassing.

The sheer number of different menus\options\configurations is just completely overwhelming and I have no idea what is what. Why can't there just be a big "TURN MONITOR ON" button?? Hahah.. I feel like I'm getting closer here and I'm sure I will learn a lot just by figuring out how to use this stuff, but man is it overwhelming.
by Tacman7 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:06 am
The interface issue is part of the overall problem of the workload you're trying to get out of your machine.

Only so much it can do. Besides upgrading you can use strategies to do what you want in pieces.

Like taking a mixdown into a new song and record the vocals/guitar to one wav file so you can use a lot of real time effects etc. That's really not so hard with the workflow of S1, lot less than a minute.

Takes some effort to make sure your computer is dedicated to doing what you want and not a bunch of non music tasks.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by mikemanthei on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:21 pm
markblomquist1 wrote Why can't there just be a big "TURN MONITOR ON" button?? Hahah...

The biggest reason is that when you have 18 possible inputs, and you're using more than one at a time, you don't want just one "ON" button for direct monitoring. You have to have a way to adjust each one so you can turn one up and another one down...etc.

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by mikemanthei on Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:52 pm
markblomquist1 wroteHowever within Universal Control under the 'Demo' menu I found something called Studio Live 32.4.2AI and when I open that up I see a BUNCH of controls, but I can't find how you simply enable the hardware monitor for a channel like you were describing.

I've been using my Audiobox on an older computer (not compatible with Universal Control) and using the older version of the software. When I opened up Universal Control on a Windows 7 computer I don't see the software control for Audio Box either. So maybe this is one of the many things they discontinued support for...
=========================================================================
I just did a bit of poking around in the Audiobox VSL part of the forums, and it appears the new software doesn't give you the direct hardware mixing anymore.....
...and the old software isn't compatible with newer operating systems.

No wonder people are wanting to throw this hardware out....

So I don't really have the time to research your best option, but 1818VSL and Windows 10 might not be a good mix. Take a look at the Audiobox forums to see just how big a can 'o worms you have.

(can you revert to Windows XP? :)

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by keithbaker2 on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:31 pm
Hey Mark I have the 1818vsl and I was using a similar system with the same AMD CPU. First, YES in S1 it only shows as the Audiobox (2 channel), thats normal, Second, in the UC it shows as the 1818vsl and should look like my attached photo (NOTE: as long as you have networking, if not there are no options, at least thats how it works on my system). So what worked for me was to set the block size to 128 then set my dropout protection to maximum, it should give you a round-trip audio under 10ms once you click on the "Z" on the main fader, if not its time to upgrade to something a little faster. For me I was strapped for cash so I picked up a re-furbed i5 quad core 3.1 for only $120 bucks (no OS and only 4 gigs of ram but that was easy to fix) anyway it made all the difference.

Attachments
Untitled.jpg
by mikemanthei on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:13 am
Keith;
Thanks for adding something more recent than I could come up with. It was a bit shocking/depressing to discover that I hadn't kept current with any of the changes for a couple of years. At one point I started to question how my 1818VSL was running at all.
(where does the time go?)

Anyway, Mark. Keith's experience is much closer to yours, so disregard what I said. :)

I only use my old 1818VSL with a Vista laptop (running S1 v2.6x) for remote work, and transfer to the main computer running Windows 7 64 bit and S1 v3.5.x for finishing up. Since I never have to go back to 2.6, I don't run into any .song version issues.

But since I'm using such an old OS, I still use the software that came with the 1818VSL before Universal Control (and it's still available as a download from the Presonus website) under Legacy software.
So it really doesn't apply to your situation. Sorry for the distraction /// rabbit trail.

Mike

Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
StudioLive 32S
by jaroslavkovac on Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:33 am
Maybe will this help:

https://support.presonus.com/hc/en-us/a ... ong-Window

I will tray. I have two of AudioBox 1818VSL and the same problem - PreSonus Audio Interface Not Showing Up In Create New Song Window.
My system is:
CPUs: Intel Core i7 4770 3,4GHz
4 cores, 8 logical
L1 Cache: 32 KB (8)
L2 Cache: 256 KB (4)
L3 Cache: 8192 KB (1)
RAM: 16328 MB

Its hard for me that i have two of pieces of discontuited hardware ... and the money is going to the trash.
UPDATE: Its not working :( :roll: ... I have installed a fresh Universal Control 2.7.0.47644 Win x86 (Built on May 9 2018) drivers, the 1818VSL is recognized, but in Studio One 2.6.5.30360 is the AudioBox 1818VSL not listed ( only the AudioBox with 2 Channels, and i have it NOT).
Can not due any Cue mix and the Hardware will go in the trash. Bad!

(please forgive me for my bad english).

12 posts
Page 1 of 1