118 postsPage 2 of 6
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Great suggestions here.
In addition, how about an analysis feature that would analyze the gain of the master bus for the whole song, and insert markers wherever clipping occurs? The markers would be named as the decibels above 0 db. That would be really useful in mastering, wouldn't it?

Obviously, a feature like this would have to deal with the length of time that clipping occurs. So decisions would have to be made to differentiate short duration/ slight clipping events from situations from extreme & long duration clipping. Seems very possible... Presonus and others have successfully much more complicated features already.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic,
by klypeman on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:43 am
Hey Sirmonkey ! I agree on your suggestions with the automatic markers, something like the TC Electronic LM2n Radar Meter (Loudness Meter) would also be a huge time saver, it is for me.
If Presonus could make a similar it would blow competition away.

Windows 10 64bit Home, Studio One 3.5.4 Pro, Cubase 9.5 Pro, Logic, Pro Tools, MacBook Pro, 24.4.2, 2 Projects, Firestudio 2626, Firestudio Mobile, Mackie MCU, Softube Console 1, All Steinberg CMC´s, Yamaha SY 55, DSI Mopho, Roland JU-06, Novation Impulse 49, KRK Rokits 6´s, KRK VXT 8´s, SE Electronics HP6, SM Audio Mpatch 2.0+ 2.1, CME 61, Nocturn 25, UAD Plugins Galore, TC Voicelive Touch, Faderport, UAD Apollo Twin Duo, Satellite Quad, Quad PcIe, Warm Audio 76, JoeMeek MC2, DBX 266XS. TC C300x3, M350, Yamaha REV 7. Toontrack Galore.
by Lokeyfly on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:36 am
I'd like to add to the S1-4 expectations list, only at least at this time I'm in a pretty happy place with Studio One. I could add an item or two, and they would be functionally easy to do but I'll pass here (for a later time).

I would just like to say Thank You to Presonus and its developers for what Studio One is right now. Since it has been so rock solid on my now 5 year old laptop, I've been able to concentrate on the other equipment, plugins, and time making music without the least bit of resistance from this DAW. I guess it goes under the topic of no news is good news. S1 has for me, been that most reliable tool. What happens then is the tool becomes quite invisible under heavy, or light use. That's been my experience with it. My expectation therefore is for that to continue.

No subscriptions, no snow jobs, just work basically invisibly.

* Just feeling complimentary, this morning. Catch me after lunch. :mrgreen:

PC Sony VAIO laptop, Intel i7, 64-bit, 8 gig ram, S1 Pro, v3.2
by bstin on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 am
Lokeyfly wrote

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I want a subscription option. If that meant they could/would commit to more frequent updates, I think a $24.99 monthly subscription would pay for itself via new features very quickly.

There are lots of ways to run a hybrid subscription model where you can stop your subscription payment, which turns off your updates, but you get to continue using that specific version as is. To reactivate updates you need to catch up on your payments since last update (with something like a 12-month limit that is max you will owe).

Such models can help keep pressure on software companies to keep the updates coming.
by sirmonkey on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:51 am
bstin wroteI know this is not a popular opinion, but I want a subscription option. If that meant they could/would commit to more frequent updates, I think a $24.99 monthly subscription would pay for itself via new features very quickly. ...

Such models can help keep pressure on software companies to keep the updates coming.

$25.00/month = $300.00 per year. Studio One Pro is $400.00, with free updates. And the program already has tons of features, and keeps getting better all the time.

But hey, why not pay $300.00 every year for hypothetically getting more frequent updates?

Yea! Great idea!

by shanabit on Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:13 pm
bstin wrote
Lokeyfly wrote

I know this is not a popular opinion, but I want a subscription option. If that meant they could/would commit to more frequent updates, I think a $24.99 monthly subscription would pay for itself via new features very quickly.

There are lots of ways to run a hybrid subscription model where you can stop your subscription payment, which turns off your updates, but you get to continue using that specific version as is. To reactivate updates you need to catch up on your payments since last update (with something like a 12-month limit that is max you will owe).

Your thinking is delusional. Ask those on Protools or Sonar how many bugs get fixed? Useless features that NO ONE asks for show up instead. If you want to pay $300/yr for your DAW that never gets updated properly and is riddled with bugs switch to Protools.

This MODEL you are referring to, contrary to popular opinion , breads LAZINESS on the part of the company. Heck i have your money so I don't have to update/bugfix anything. I will trickle you stupid little things that require no thought and are useless to appease you.

Just saying :thumbup:

S1 Pro 3.5.4, MR816X, OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
2010 MacPro Dual 2.4 quad,14 GB Ram
by scottmoncrieff on Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:07 pm
The thread started well with lots of interesting discussion and idea's on the actual features of the program, how you pay for it, is an entirely different discussion topic and also a contentious one...which this thread really isn't about, keep on the tracks guys.. thanks.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 920@3.57GHz,Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by thunderdan on Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:21 pm
I would love to see sample one turn into a legit sampler. Get rid of the goofy adsr controls for pitch and what not...why do I need to twist a knob to enable velocity chance, include realtime timestretch.

For midi give us glide notes like FL studio...I don't want studio to be FL studio but this is one feature of theirs O would love to have.

Presonus is primarily a hardware company right? Can we get a controller for the DAW? Not a motorized fader deal but something like the Push2 for live. Let me load samples, play, sequence, step sequence, and arrange WITHOUT A MOUSE....whoa
by elijahlucian on Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:46 pm
as long as they don't change anything at all. I'm happy.

Oh wait.

Just a public API for scripting.. That would be it.

http://www.elijahlucian.ca

System: i7 3770k - 32gb ram - GTX 970 - Win10 x64 - Gigabyte Z97mk2
Audio: RME Fireface UFX - Equator D5 - Focusrite ISA One - Focusrite Octopre
Instruments: Roland Juno-G - Fender Strat - G&L ASAT Classic - Ibanez Artcore - Dean Resonator - Aria Classical - Ibanez ATK Bass - Omnichord - Congas - various tiddlywinks
Midi: Roland A-500 - Behringer BCF2000 - Novation Launchpad
Mics: Neumann TLM 103 - Rode M3 - Rode NT2a - Shure SM7b - AKG D112
VSTi: Spire - Massive - FM8 - Chromophone
VSTe: iZotope Alloy & Ozone - NI Komplete
by sirmonkey on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:16 pm
Note: New Studio One update just released: http://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=27073
* A bit off-topic, but since a certain idea about what what motivates a software company to provide adequate updates came up, I feel that Presonus is very good in this respect.

Just sayin' ! :thumbup:

by sirmonkey on Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:48 pm
scottmoncrieff wroteThe thread started well with lots of interesting discussion and idea's on the actual features of the program, how you pay for it, is an entirely different discussion topic and also a contentious one...which this thread really isn't about, keep on the tracks guys.. thanks.

Scott, you're right. And I do get why the subscription idea got mentioned....it's in the realm of future possibilities. So not completely off-topic.

* While I don't like the idea of subscriptions, the subject did come up (again, understandably brought up... not totally off-topic...just a bit tangential). However, my response of opposition to the idea had some snark in there. I should have skipped that snarky part at the end.

by Lokeyfly on Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:23 am
sirmonkey wrote
scottmoncrieff wroteThe thread started well with lots of interesting discussion and idea's on the actual features of the program, how you pay for it, is an entirely different discussion topic and also a contentious one...which this thread really isn't about, keep on the tracks guys.. thanks.

Scott, you're right. And I do get why the subscription idea got mentioned....it's in the realm of future possibilities. So not completely off-topic.

* While I don't like the idea of subscriptions, the subject did come up (again, understandably brought up... not totally off-topic...just a bit tangential). However, my response of opposition to the idea had some snark in there. I should have skipped that snarky part at the end.

I'd agree with sirmonkey. In reference to the subject given, and opening statement, everything stated by all users has been on topic so far. If the tracks pertained to features, then the point of "features" should have been made. Competing DAW's including ones that begin with an R, have competing price strategies. Those are also expectations.

I'll add one quick and easy feature, that I do ultimately expect.
*Skip forward, by passing the loop [start] position marker past the [End] marker, thereby forcing a forward jump of the timeline. This is a very elegant way to audition musical changes instantly. It is also largely a feature in most other DAW's almost from the earliest sequencing programs.

This should be accomplished right up there with the request for a dual timeline, and bar/beat line as some users suggested. We still want the linear fashion in which S1 works, but there should be some consideration to timeline movement (jump), and the scales along side of it.

TY

by garryknight on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:09 am
Or how about jump from any marker to the next? Or, better still, how about jump to any named marker?

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Bitwig 8-Track. FL Studio Mobile 3, Stagelight
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by shanabit on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:10 am
I EXPECT Polyphonic Aftertouch in order to do cymbal chokes on my E Kit. Outside of that, ANY midi improvement is welcomed

S1 Pro 3.5.4, MR816X, OSX High Sierra 10.13.1
2010 MacPro Dual 2.4 quad,14 GB Ram
by scottmoncrieff on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:51 am
I think in terms of workflow, a 'Multi Track Editor' for editing notes would be really helpful so you can see visually how one sequence clip compares to another at note level with the functionality of simple drag / drop pasting and editing. The same principal could be applied to sample waves, which is useful when you have multiple wave files that are not aligned with each other vertically in a song / arrangement. Essentially speeding up one's workflow in a transparent and natural visual way. In case you're wondering, I am recalling from an idea I created here a few years ago. :P..but still applicable with Studio One I think.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 920@3.57GHz,Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by Lokeyfly on Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:34 pm
garryknight wroteOr how about jump from any marker to the next? Or, better still, how about jump to any named marker?

Absolutely. I had outlined something a long time ago. I'll see if I can dig it up. It was exactly based on markers. It also generated a list, so you could set up positions from each marker, and or from a list.

Once the blocks entered in 3.0, I left it alone. But I have still not used blocks, nor do I like them. JMO.

Glad you brought it up again Gary. It is a functional way to try ideas without having to resort to a scratchpad, or bungled blocks. ;)

by garryknight on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:13 pm
scottmoncrieff wroteI think in terms of workflow, a 'Multi Track Editor' for editing notes would be really helpful so you can see visually how one sequence clip compares to another at note level with the functionality of simple drag / drop pasting and editing.

I must be misunderstanding as we have that already, with the ability to see and edit MIDI on multiple tracks simultaneously. Or do you mean something else?

Garry Knight
by jazzundso on Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:37 pm
garryknight wrote
scottmoncrieff wroteI think in terms of workflow, a 'Multi Track Editor' for editing notes would be really helpful so you can see visually how one sequence clip compares to another at note level with the functionality of simple drag / drop pasting and editing.

I must be misunderstanding as we have that already, with the ability to see and edit MIDI on multiple tracks simultaneously. Or do you mean something else?

I may be wrong, but to me it sounds like he wants an in-place note editor directly in the arrangement.

In my opinion it would make more sense to improve the multi track capabilities of the existing MIDI editor and make it easier to see, show/hide, compare, duplicate data on different tracks. Especially when it comes to controller data, chords split to different tracks (brass, woodwinds etc.)

It's all (mostly..) there, but I don't like the current approach... everything should be visually clearer and easier. I already make some FRs 3-4 years ago...

Lukas Ruschitzka - composer, keyboardist, software developer from Mainz, Germany
http://www.lukas-ruschitzka.com || https://soundcloud.com/jazzundso || http://www.recording.de || http://www.youscreen.de

Core i7 3.24 GHz, Windows 7 (64 bit), 24 GB RAM, RME HDSP 9632, Presonus FaderPort, Presonus Monitorstation, Presonus Eris 5

M-Audio Axiom Pro 61 - Clavia Nord Stage 2 - Moog Sub 37 - YAMAHA MoXF6 - Studio One 3 - Notion 5 - Sibelius 7.5 - EWQLSO Gold, EWQLS Choirs, VSL Special Edition, Spitfire Albion One, ProjectSAM Symphobia, Heavyocity Evolve, AEON, Damage, KOMPLETE 9 Ultimate
by scottmoncrieff on Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:58 pm
garryknight wrote

At the moment in the current version we have, we can see the notes of multiple tracks in edit mode and edit them, however you are limited in only being able to view that section of the track within that zone, and if you move the playhead marker to somewhere else when you are zoomed in on selected notes, you can lose the view entirely. The Multitrack system allows for independent track control of any notes from any location in the song, so they are viewable regardless of where they are. It allows notes to be looped and played from those positions independently within the range of multiple loop markers that can be set. It also means that note / track information can be displayed on a per track basis which at the moment can only be displayed as a matter of priority of being first selected.

With the different locations on different tracks set, note information can be more easily edited and interchanged.

I drew this concept up, back in 2014 before I got Studio One...just to give you an idea...Studio One would obviously conform to it's own design conventions rather than replicate this.
Last edited by scottmoncrieff on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by garryknight on Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:21 pm
Ah! Thanks, Scott. Now I get it, and I'd vote that up.

Garry Knight

118 postsPage 2 of 6