10 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi, guys.

As we all know, Studio One has got a lot of actions that can be performed by drag & drop. F.i. I love that an FX Channel/Buss can be created by dragging a plugin onto the send area of a Channel, or that a Send instance can be copied from one Channel to another simply by click dragging it onto the other Channel so that they both point to the same "return" (FX Channel/Buss).

One feature that seems to be missing, though, is the ability to create (not copying) a Send by click dragging. Reaper has a brilliant implementation of this, you simply click drag the send area of the desired sending channel and drop it onto the channel you want to be the receiver and the connection is made.

This might not sound like a big deal, especially for those who always start from scratch, but if you use a template with ready-made Busses/FX Channels for reverbs, delays etc., it really helps a lot when assigning connections to these already existing FX Channels/Busses. This would be in addition to the current workflow of creating a Send and assigning it to one of the FX Channels/Busses in the list from the drop down menu.

If side chain routing could be done similarly, by drag & drop (in addition to the current drop down menu) that would be very welcomed as well.

I tried to find an FR for this, but couldn't find one. Does anyone know if such an FR exists?

Thanks.
by niles on Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:27 am
Skaperverket wroteI tried to find an FR for this, but couldn't find one. Does anyone know if such an FR exists?
I think I requested something similar but a reversed m.o. comparing to Reaper.
Potayto potahto AFAIC.

Non existing behavior:

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by Lawrence on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:56 am
I like that FR :thumbup: but it seems it's already partially covered by selection behavior. If you select X tracks and create a new send to an existing bus or to create a new bus, it gets created on them all at once.

My thought is (mmv of course) if you have to go multi-select X tracks anyway, you're already there, no need to then travel to a bus to drag a plugin back to a track when you can create sends on all selected channels from where you already are.
by Skaperverket on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:12 am
Thanks, niles and Lawrence.

He-he, I can see that I actually already did vote up your FR, niles, and must then have forgotten about it. I like your reversed idea. Potayto potahto as you say.

I think more of this sort of drag and drop behavior would suit S1 well. And, as I said, for Sidechain routing as well.

Yeah, Lawrence, this will probably vary depending on workflow. Personally, I see the use for it all (i.e. ALL) the time, and mostly when connecting single Channels to already existing Busses (and, of course, Sidechains).
by Jemusic on Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:08 pm
This works for me right now so not sure what you guys are not doing.

Create 6 audio tracks. Create a buss. (or FX buss works the same) (not for selected tracks but just create a normal buss)

I usually have the mixer channels fully vertical to do this as well.

On the first track create a send and send it to the buss. Grab that send from its title bar (to the right of the power ON/OFF switch) and drag to adjacent track. New send will appear going to the same buss.

It may depend on where you grab the send. Not from the control sending the level but from the title section.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Skaperverket on Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:34 pm
Yes, Jemusic, that is exactly how we do it today. I even wrote in the very beginning of my original post that this is a feature of S1 that I love. It works great, but could be done even better (f.i. without having to scroll through a tiny list of some 10-30 Busses in the drop down menu).
by Jemusic on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:09 am
OK sorry for the confusion. Personally I don't mind looking down a list of buses. Not that big of a deal to me. I think once you have as many buses as tracks you are sort defeating the purpose of buses in the first place.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Skaperverket on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:09 am
No problem, mate.

We all have different workflows and I appreciate that. I use Busses instead of FX Channels because I want to be able to send a reverb into a delay or a delay into a reverb, and such channels alone do easily amount to 10 or more (Plate, Room, Hall, Spring, Slap, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, PP, Doubler). In addition I also use Busses for multing and for parallel processing. Naturally, I use Busses for grouping tracks as well, f.i. all drums, all guitars etc., but I'll also use Busses for collecting mic perspectives f.i. all snare tracks (under and over) or all kicks (in and out) or two mics used for an amp or an acoustic guitar. Depending on genre I'll also use Busses for Instrumental, All Lead Vox and All Bacground Vox for easy printing of different versions (original mix, instrumental mix, singback/TV performance mix, vocal up mix etc.). I also use a separate Buss for the whole mix in addition to the Master channel so I don't have to hear ref tracks or ruff mixes through the master bus processing, but still be able to monitor everything through the same metering and finally my room correction adjustments. It all adds up and the send destination list can get pretty long, so an alternative way of connecting these Channels would be helpful for me. It works great the way it is, but it could be done even better I believe. Compare it to how we work with plugins: The list view worked great for choosing plugins, but it was nice to be able to use drag and drop (in all its many variations) as well. Anyway, again, we all have different workflows.
by Skaperverket on Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:20 am
Oh, and by the way, at times I also have to use Busses to immitate a post fader insert or a pre insert send.

If I get handed f.i. 100 separate tracks when mixing a song it is not uncommon that I'll use 30-40 or more Busses when all the different types are included. (Sends for sidechain connections are in addition to this. BTW: Wish Sends routed to sidechains were colored differently than the Sends routed to Busses or FX Channels.)
by Jemusic on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:31 am
I get where you are coming from for sure. I have done some pretty big mixes and had a lot of buses as well. I tend to start from scratch and not mix into templates so much so for me setting up buses and sending channels there I tend to do on the fly. I tend to group quite a lot of tracks at once, create a buss for those tracks and I like the fact all the tracks are sent there and as Lawrence mentioned sends for multiple tracks can be set up pretty quick too. These are all good requests and I am sure once they are there I will end up using them for sure.

I just want to say though that I love using the program. I never get tired of it. It just works like a dream for me. Recently I had to create a backing track of mega proportions e.g. an epic and I had to push it hard for 3 to 4 days and it just never missed a beat.

10 posts
Page 1 of 1