81 postsPage 2 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
That brought a HUGE smile to my face. Well done sir. Your characterizations are spot on! :)

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Bitwig at all? In no way appropriate for film, but I find it to be a really interesting creative environment....that is when anyone has time to be "creative" these days I mean.

aka "gesslr" or "george napier"

10 core iMacPro 1,1 | 64GB | OSX 10.15.6 | S1Pro 5.0.1 | MOTU I/O | Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.storyaudio.com
FB: geo.napier3

PLEASE SUPPORT THESE FRs

Video follows edit mode
http://tinyurl.com/yc2gc9b3

Studio One Workspaces
http://tinyurl.com/ybgfjpoj
by Jose7822 on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:41 am
jdurham wrote
nk_e wroteI use Logic more than Cubase these days. The VI performance of Cubase on my system took a serious backpedal with version 9. (V8.5 was ok.)

Agreed on Cubase 9, has been disappointing so far.

Long-time DAW user here of pretty much all the platforms over the years -- Re: Logic, in another life, I was a Logic user.

For me, Logic is like an ex-wife -- there was a reason why I married her, and a reason why I divorced her. Definitely not going back. :-)

Pro Tools is like a grumpy old uncle... he occasionally brings new jokes to the party, but he's basically the same guy, now with gray hair and a grizzly attitude. He's had bypass surgery, but keeps on kicking... he has tons of experience but can be unreliable in his old age, doesn't like to try new things, but sometimes will bite the bullet and go for it, sometimes with success, sometimes not. He occasionally shows up with a new hat or shoes, but if you look closely, he's now wearing bifocals, he takes a while to answer questions, likes to recall "the good ol' days" and you begin to wonder when he'll kick the bucket. He's definitely NOT the life of the party.

Ableton Live, on the other hand, IS the life of the party. She shows up in her neon-colored pants (which are now a little faded) and she really gets the party moving. She's smart, creative, fun, and I've flirted with her many times over the years.... but in the end, I realized she's a little too "loopy" for me. :-)

Cubase is like an old brother-in-law who is a pretty cool guy, but sometimes does things to really bleep you off, but then a few years later he's your friend again. Then he pisses you off again. He can say the dumbest things sometimes, but then he'll turn around and surprise you with a pretty dang good idea, but does it in a half-ass way. He drives the same brand of car, every year for the last three decades... he just upgrades to a recent model every 4 years. Never flamboyant, often unreliable, occasionally brilliant, a little lumpy at the midsection, he's still there for you and generally knows his stuff.

Reaper is like that nerdy sibling who shows up and has an answer for everything. She's smart as nails, plays a killer chess game, likes to hike and drives a Subaru. She carries a Swiss Army Knife with her everywhere she goes and actually can start a fire with two rocks and some sticks. She can pretty much do anything, but there's a good chance it's going to be convoluted getting there. As a child, she loved legos, and she'll be the first to line up for a new lego movie.

And I feel Studio One is like the smart cousin who recently graduated from grad school. He's got some great ideas, is smart and talented and brings some fresh thinking to the family, but he's still got a ways to go before he reaches his full potential. So far, he seems unassuming, willing to listen, a little green around the ears maybe, a bit too optimistic perhaps, but he's got passion and wants to make the world a better place with his ideas. Oh, and he does wear denim and does NOT like to go camping.

Haha! This is great stuff :-D

Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Xtreme | Intel Core i9 10900K (OC'ed to ~5 GHz) | 128GB of RAM | EVGA RTX 3060 Ti Gaming | Corsair iCUE H100i Water Cooler | Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 1200 Watt PSU | Windows 10 Pro 64 bit | Studio One 5 | Lynx Aurora (n) 8TB | UAD 2 Octo | UAD 2 Quad
by bassfx on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:20 pm
nk_e wroteJust out of curiosity, have you tried Bitwig at all? In no way appropriate for film, but I find it to be a really interesting creative environment....that is when anyone has time to be "creative" these days I mean.

I've used and/or owned just about every DAW app on the market (some of them long discontinued, alas), but I have purposely avoided installing Bitwig... however, I have looked into it as the certified DAW addict that I am.

Bitwig is sort of like the hot new girl at the party who I want to ask out, but I know in my heart she's too young for me right now. She's really cool and has a sexy foreign accent, but I know I'll just end up fooling around. Maybe one day I'll ask her out on a real date and see if there are any sparks, but for now I need to actually make money and get work done.
by nk_e on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:30 pm
...Then I'm that old guy suffering a mid life crisis trying hard to date her but finding her conversation and cultural references baffling.

You have a talent for analogies sir. Very well said. :)

10 core iMacPro 1,1 | 64GB | OSX 10.15.6 | S1Pro 5.0.1 | MOTU I/O | Too Many Plug-ins |

PLEASE SUPPORT THESE FRs

Video follows edit mode

Studio One Workspaces
by Steve Carter on Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 am
I love the analogies, can't say I know enough about the other DAWs, being an S1 exclusive user, but good luck with your trial.

Regards.... :+1

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by bassfx on Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:17 am
Thank you guys! Trial project coming along pretty well so far... I feel like I've taken a step back in some features I've been used to for a few years -- but I also feel like I've stepped ahead a few years in other areas... it's like being in a time machine of what Cubase once was, and what Cubase could be. Verdict still out.
by muziksculp on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:31 am
Looking forward to Studio One Pro 4 to offer many of the enhanced features needed for Film composers, more MIDI features, and more new features, and functionality :D

I have not touched Cubase Pro 9 for the past two months. Studio One Pro 3.5.1 is a real joy to work with, and the workflow is just amazing.

Studio One Pro 6.0.2 , FaderPort 8, ATOM. (Windows 10).

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by Bbd on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:17 am
jdurham wroteThank you guys! Trial project coming along pretty well so far... I feel like I've taken a step back in some features I've been used to for a few years -- but I also feel like I've stepped ahead a few years in other areas... it's like being in a time machine of what Cubase once was, and what Cubase could be. Verdict still out.

Did you learn about using the arrow keys to move the video frame by frame?
:roll:

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by bassfx on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:11 pm
Bbd wrote
jdurham wroteThank you guys! Trial project coming along pretty well so far... I feel like I've taken a step back in some features I've been used to for a few years -- but I also feel like I've stepped ahead a few years in other areas... it's like being in a time machine of what Cubase once was, and what Cubase could be. Verdict still out.

Did you learn about using the arrow keys to move the video frame by frame?
:roll:

Yep, thank you, and nk_e pointed me to another solution earlier here in this thread!
by nk_e on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:29 am
Another thread with some info that may bear relevance to the question at hand:

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=22254

PLEASE SUPPORT THESE FRs

Video follows edit mode

Studio One Workspaces
by hanshummelgaard on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:50 am
Thank you for this!! Voted on all of them. In addition could you also vote for the possibility to choose realtime freeze since vsts such as EWQL Play 5 depends on it for not rendering down audio artifacts such as cracks and pops. Unless you guys know a way to setup Play to avoid this problem?
I've also had a few issues with Best Service engine but not as extensive as with Play.
Kontakt seems totally stable and I believe most other Vsts.

http://answers.presonus.com/6598/realti ... h-pipeline
by nooneyj on Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:28 pm
genius
by Lokeyfly on Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:08 am
You're never going to use one DAW for full on audio and video editing needs. Some additions would certainly be helpful, but let's not start comparing what Cubase has, and what S1 doesnt. They would only end up becoming equally "weighty".

If all the MIDI editing requests, and mixer control, along with other editing features were available in Studio One, as are in Cubase (undeniably in some ways, feature rich), then I suspect we'd have some menu laiden, deep optioned, graphically over killed, DAW that hmmmm, isn't so streamlined as what is available for song writers now.

You can currently lock onto a host of video friendly programs and anyone syncing to frame by frame video will typically run with SMPTE time code, where they are dialing up various needed video frame rates (old and new), and while for "some" licking their chops over their own video related needs, at some point in a DAW, there is a need for having the music related end to be effortless, and streamlined. Last I checked, that would be the "A" in DAW.

I'm all for some additional nicities where Studio One would be enhanced at the Video end. Video in S1 has obviously been just a carry on (weak in the loafers) addition. I agree with the OP on aligning the timeline by frame. Also I've brought scrubbing capability many times. The editing there is much more intuitive to the movement of sliding back and forth audio/video, as they were when motioned by reel to reels, and video projectors, and haven't left the hands of editors since. Albeit now digitally. I use scrubbing in PT, quite a bit. Also great for tailoring transients.

Though I've tried nearly every DAW, often from even their earliest releases, I'm not going to describe some relationship of what they mean to me. They do what they do for a host of users. PT and Reason which I still use (and sync seamlessly with S1, via Rewire) work wonderfully, along with their prizes, and a few shortcomings. PT is largely an editors pallette, and industry standard, so its obviously serving a roll in the industry towards music production, and editing. For some, PT's 3 layer deep keyboard shortcuts get in the way of perhaps song writing, while others will be just used to them. It is what it is and makes no apologies (nor does it demand alimony). Same with DP. But they serve a fine purpose in many ways. So Studio One while potentially having "yeah", a little less MIDI editing (as does PT), a lot less menu chasing than Reaper, Cubase, and others, it provides the tools needed in areas that do make it desirable for others to stop in, try it, and say "yeah man, it's awsome, but if it could just also do A' B, C,......T, U, V" then one has to consider what you're left with. Might be great. Might not. For every giddy rich feature, comes either some potential compromises along with users, saying bleep. How do I find... or how do I fix, or, hey, I better have a look at that new streamlined DAW, down the road (Bitwig?) Not really, but just making a point.

The intentions to add or better something are always good, and I will have a look at some of the FR's, but I'd suspect any additions keep focus to the actual end item. The music. And how easy it is right now, as apposed to some of the other choices. It's only a few items here we're talking about. But a few items here, a few there, and we then get excess baggage, and someone discussing Studio One, like some ex wife. ;)

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by jsljustin on Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:33 am
It is interesting that you are looking to come over to S1 from Cubase 9 Pro..

I'm actually looking to do the opposite - I came to Studio One many years ago, just when S1 V2 came out I think, and for me I love the workflow too, I can just get songs done in a way where S1 works "with me", and is easy to use.

My DAW before that was Reaper. To be honest, I could do everything I wanted to do in Reaper as well, but I was getting a strange audio glitch in reaper when recording and mixing my audio down - it was a faint pinging sound that was driving me mad. Contacted Reaper support about it and got no help, so I demo'd S1 V2 and found that the strange audio pinging sound / glitch was not present in Studio One, so I made the switch.

I've been really happy with S1 for the past number of years, but since upgrading to S1 V3.5 I am getting crackling on all virtual instruments, that wasn't there before. I am not 100% sure it is not a hardware issue (it is possible I have a faulty motherboard and/or bad usb), but I got the trial of Cubase 9 Pro and have had no problems as yet.

I'd prefer to stay with S1, but the times I have contacted Studio One support with bug issues, I have yet to see anything I've reported fixed at all; so it concerns me that if this crackling with virtual instruments is a problem specific to S1, then I don't have any hope that it will ever be addressed.

I have a copy of Cubase AI, and so with Steinberg's sale at the moment, I can get Cubase 9 Pro at basically half price right now.

Much as I would rather stay with S1 as it does everything I need and the workflow is great, I will switch if Cubase doesn't have the issue with Virtual Instruments crackling all the time (note it happens with every Virtual Instrument I own).

Thanks - Justin.
by Lokeyfly on Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:11 am
jsljustin qrote: I've been really happy with S1 for the past number of years, but since upgrading to S1 V3.5 I am getting crackling on all virtual instruments, that wasn't there before. I am not 100% sure it is not a hardware issue (it is possible I have a faulty motherboard and/or bad usb), but I got the trial of Cubase 9 Pro and have had no problems as yet.

At times, same here on the Pops. My laptop is getting a bit older, but one workaround or fix is, when snap, crackle, pops, occur, check the VST meter. It's likely peaking, or very high. Open it up, and sort priority by "CPU". View the highest level, and chances are it's just one or two CPU "hogs". Sometimes, it's not even a hog, but the direction of load is placed there (for reasons I've never been clear on). Anyway, turn that VST off, or it may be a way of prompting you to revert the track to audio.

This can be followed at times by lighting candles, with a chant.

I've also found at times later when things purge (in the curious world of coredum), the CPU level has died down considerably, and those previously turned off VST's can be turned back on.

I can't say it's the perfect fix for all, but until I get a new PC, it's really helped.

Hope this helps, bud.

S1-6.2.1, HP Omen 17" i7 10th Gen, 32 GB,512 GB TLC M.2 (SSD),1 TB SSD. Win10 Pro, Audient iD14 MkII, Roland JV90, NI S49 MkII, Atom SQ, FP 8, Roland GR-50 & Octapad. MOTU MIDI Express XT. HR824, Yamaha HS-7, NS-1000M, Yamaha Promix 01, Rane HC-6, etc.

New song "Our Time"
https://youtu.be/BqOZ4-0iY1w?si=_uwmgRBv3N4VwJlq

Visit my You Tube Channel
https://youtube.com/@jamesconraadtucker ... PA5dM01GF7

Latest song releases on Bandcamp -

Latest albums on iTunes

All works registered copyright ©️
by bassfx on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 am
Lokeyfly wroteIf all the MIDI editing requests, and mixer control, along with other editing features were available in Studio One, as are in Cubase (undeniably in some ways, feature rich), then I suspect we'd have some menu laiden, deep optioned, graphically over killed, DAW that hmmmm, isn't so streamlined as what is available for song writers now.
<snip>
But a few items here, a few there, and we then get excess baggage, and someone discussing Studio One, like some ex wife. ;)

While I agree that it's entirely possible to add "too many features" and then the DAW becomes the bloated beast that Cubase has become (IMO), I think we're FAR from that threshold with Studio One. And frankly, the larger problem is the actual design philosophy and approach to development.

For example, one can argue that Reaper has too many features as well -- and if you dig deep, it is incredibly advanced in many unique areas, particularly with the extraordinary extensibility with custom Lua/Python code and built-in IDE! I'd guess that 95%+ of Reaper users don't even know that's there (and 99.9% of users will NEVER use it). That is simply amazing how much customization you can do in Reaper, but yet Reaper is still nimble and quick. If I spent the time, I could probably extend Reaper with the key features I need for MIDI and film. That's how powerful the scripting is. If we go by features alone, Reaper should be a slow bloated pig by now in some areas, but it's not. It just has an inferior interface (IMO) and lacks the intuitive elegance of Studio One. For me, the intuitive elegance makes working in Studio One much more of a pleasure, while Reaper -- while very powerful in its special areas -- gets in the way for me.

So I think it's possible to have a massive number of features and incredible depth, but also be very nimble and light on resources, while also being very intuitive and elegant. I think Studio One has by far the best chance of achieving that very happy balance. Their overall philosophy has been extremely balanced and methodical, and they are one of the best DAW dev teams out there IMO.

Additionally, case in point is Steinberg's new video engine. It took Steinberg about a year and a half to develop it, and now that it was just released with Cubase 9.0.30, it is clear that they did a very poor job at resource management and optimization -- CPU hit is far, far higher than the old video engine, causing a lot of lag and issues for some sessions on some computers (not to mention key features that were left incomplete in some areas). Critically to prove my point, the same video clip running in Reaper or Studio One can take far *fewer* CPU resources than Cubase 9.0.30 with it's "new" engine. Period. You can test it yourself. It's actually kind of embarrassing if you ask me. Steinberg took so long to develop something that feels -- out of the gate -- bloated, laggy and sloppy in some cases. At this point, it's very disappointing. I'm sure they WILL optimize it as the months/years go on -- and they have stated as much on their forum -- but it's the PERFECT example of something done poorly at Steinberg. One wonders what kinds of troubles there are at Steinberg to have such a slow development cycle for the new engine, and yet release it with such poor optimization. What are they thinking? By all accounts, they had a long beta period too, and this is STILL what they ended up delivering! I've been astonished and really my fears about Steinberg have been confirmed with how they have handled this new video engine.

In my view, the development approach at Steinberg is BROKEN. They have held fast to an old marketing/yearly- driven schedule where every year they release a paid upgrade. Major release then .5 release, then major, then .5, then major, then .5, etc.... And as the DAW has become larger and larger, they have released half-a$$ "major" new features and failed to properly fix older issues, most-likely rushed to get in as "much as possible" into the next paid release, greatly contributing to this "bloated" piggish feeling IMO. They need to stop this nonsense development cycle and adopt a more continuous small-progressive-agile model that so many other advanced software teams are using so much more effectively.

So it's not that Studio One -- with a LOT more film and MIDI features, for example -- has to become bloated and sloppy. If the Studio One team retains its design philosophy and development approach, they can add many, many features to Studio One without risking the "bloat" effect. They just have to be true to their current system and not fall into the trap that Steinberg has done. As a former programmer, I know that's it's entirely possible to retain that nimble feeling with massive number of features, but it takes an enormous amount of design discipline and focus as a team to do it. Steinberg, IMO, is an example of how far the "old" model can go.

And BTW, I do agree with you that I want Studio One to keep making it "about the music" but as anyone who does film work knows, in order to make it "about the music" one must be able to intuitively and quickly move around a video/film clip in the timeline and set up music cues in an intuitive, musical way based on "frames", etc., (and related features), and compose with great MIDI tools. Studio One is currently usable of course, but lacking in some more advanced features that would make our lives better, but is definitely not that far off from having enough tools to easily attract hard core Cubase users... without the bloat.

The feature requests for those features are not "bloat" for film composers -- they are just adding very useful tools to the toolbox, and I'm sure the Studio One team can do it elegantly.

As always, YMMV.
by bassfx on Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:14 am
jsljustin wroteIt is interesting that you are looking to come over to S1 from Cubase 9 Pro..

I'm actually looking to do the opposite...

<snip>

Much as I would rather stay with S1 as it does everything I need and the workflow is great, I will switch if Cubase doesn't have the issue with Virtual Instruments crackling all the time (note it happens with every Virtual Instrument I own).

No DAW is perfect of course, and everyone is going to have a unique set of needs/circumstances, but if we're talking about glitching audio, I've had far more problems in Cubase 9 than Studio One 3.5. Cubase 8.5 was fairly solid for me, if still bloated, but Cubase 9 has been a poor experience so far for me. The last time Cubase was "rock solid" for me was years ago. It's been in slow, but steady decline for me, personally. I'm not the only one. But again, many people are cruising along just fine with Cubase 9.

In my experience, I have had the fewest glitches with Reaper, then Studio One, then Cubase. I also use other DAWs, but as you mentioned those three I'll just stick with those. Each DAW and plugin developer continuously updates/optimizes their software, of course, and it's possible that one minor update to a specific DAW or plugin that you use (or frankly audio device driver, Windows or OSX patch, etc.) might have created a circumstance where one combination isn't working optimally for you. It's really a delicate ecosystem and we all use different hardware/plugins, so you have a unique fingerprint.

So what I'd humbly suggest if you have the time, is try out a fresh install of Windows (or OSX) and judge for yourself, with a fresh installation of Reaper, Studio One and Cubase (in your case the demo so you don't blow any extra cash yet) and test them all at the same latency with the exact same plugins. This is something I've done with my specific combo of hardware/plugins/etc., many times now, and I found Reaper to be the most glitch-free on average, Studio One to be a close second, and Cubase 9 Pro to be a full step or two behind. Bother Reaper and Studio One are nimble, but Cubase 9 feels bloated and laggy by comparison. Same system, same plugins, fresh install of everything. But my combination will be different than yours.

If we want to judge the software companies separately, or look at intuitiveness, usability, etc., that's a different discussion and obviously very subjective. :-) But for plain old glitches between DAWs, nothing beats doing your own test on your own hardware with your own plugins.
by jsljustin on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:22 am
Lokeyfly wroteAt times, same here on the Pops. My laptop is getting a bit older, but one workaround or fix is, when snap, crackle, pops, occur, check the VST meter. It's likely peaking, or very high. Open it up, and sort priority by "CPU". View the highest level, and chances are it's just one or two CPU "hogs".

Thanks Lokeyfly. Yes, checking resource / CPU usage is a good first step. I think from memory the CPU was almost idle (i.e. 2-3%), and I also tried a new project with no plugins or anything, just trying various Virtual Instruments.

Has me baffled. The problem is that Windows 10 did a major update at about the same time as I updated Studio One to Version 3.5.X or whatever is the latest..

This is the first time I've ever had any real issues, and I can't be certain it isn't hardware, or Windows 10, or S1. I do know that a reboot fixed it temporarily, for whatever reason.

Will have to do some more tests I guess. The other thing is that I upgraded all my HDD's and replaced them with a 2TB and 1TB Samsung SSD. Who knows?

Thanks.
by jsljustin on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:30 am
jdurham wroteSo what I'd humbly suggest if you have the time, is try out a fresh install of Windows (or OSX) and judge for yourself, with a fresh installation of Reaper, Studio One and Cubase (in your case the demo so you don't blow any extra cash yet) and test them all at the same latency with the exact same plugins. This is something I've done with my specific combo of hardware/plugins/etc., many times now, and I found Reaper to be the most glitch-free on average, Studio One to be a close second, and Cubase 9 Pro to be a full step or two behind. Bother Reaper and Studio One are nimble, but Cubase 9 feels bloated and laggy by comparison. Same system, same plugins, fresh install of everything. But my combination will be different than yours.

Good idea, jdurham, will have to try that.

The only thing is I hate starting afresh on my DAW PC, the truth is I have too many instruments and plugins. The last reinstall took about 4 full days, including all the tweaks and optimizations afterwards.

I think my first step is to sell half my instruments and plugins. That might make things easier :)

So far I've had no glitches with Cubase, but after listening to you guys in this thread I am thinking that switching to Cubase from S1 is probably not the best move - not only would I have to learn Cubase, but the truth is that apart from these glitches, S1 is effortless for me: I can just write and create music pretty much how I want, S1 does not restrict me in any way.

Cheers.
by bassfx on Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:56 am
jsljustin wroteThe only thing is I hate starting afresh on my DAW PC, the truth is I have too many instruments and plugins. The last reinstall took about 4 full days, including all the tweaks and optimizations afterwards.

Agreed entirely. It's a nightmare. I hate having to do it, so I try to keep an extra SSD around for the main installation and just swap it out. If I have an emergency, I can always go back to the previous SSD that has everything on it.

Your installation sounds a lot like mine. But based on this massive install, you're most likely in a situation where there is a unique combo of hardware/software/driver/plugin that is causing an issue. I can force glitches in ANY DAW program depending on the combo.

When I do a reinstallation, I tend to start with the most stripped-down situation I can, then slowly build up with the plugins I use the most. I have collected a massive library of plugins over the years like you, but I find I really only use maybe 25% of them -- maybe even less on some projects. And I just slowly and surely reinstall the most-loved/most-used plugins and sometimes test along the way. Sometimes I find a culprit that surprises me.

But even out of the box on a fresh system, just using bundled plugins, with no extra third-party plugins installed, I tend to find Reaper to be the most stable, closely followed by Studio One, then Cubase takes up a third spot a full step or two down. But I'm also experienced enough to know through many battles over the years, that this could shift with the smallest of updates. Years ago, somewhere around Cubase 6 or 6.5 on Windows 7 with RME hardware, I had the single most stable DAW I've ever had. It was incredible. Bullet-proof. Amazing. I could slam that thing on marathon 16-hour sessions with huge templates, heavy plugin loads, not a single blip or hesitation. EVER. Loved it. But something seems to have happened at Steinberg, especially since they slowly introduced the new (and IMO inferior) interface design and stubbornly refuse to budge from their silly yearly update cycle... it just got less and less stable.

Anyway, good luck. It's kind of like medieval alchemy to get a super-stable DAW with total perfection running. When it happens, it's glorious and magical. But someone, somewhere, (i.e. a plugin developer, DAW developer, OS patch, etc.) will mess it up. So I've come to accept a 98% solution and just get on with my work. To me in my DAW journey I've used or owned just about everything, and NOTHING is perfect. But based on my experience so far, I think Studio One has the best bet of finding the balance that works for me personally for most of my projects. It's not perfect, but I really am impressed by the Studio One team's approach. It sort of feels like they are doing what Steinberg SHOULD have done with Cubase.

And I've now decided I'm going to work on an entire feature-length indie film in Studio One and see what happens. I will miss some key features (and hopefully they'll have an update that will help me soon), but it's close enough to give it a shot. A year ago, I wouldn't have dreamed of doing that and I would have stuck with Cubase 8.5 or Pro Tools for various parts of the job. I'll be supplementing Studio One with Reaper for some tasks, and I'll be demoting Cubase 9 to the backup role, and hopefully phase it out over the next year or two. I avoid Pro Tools nowadays if I can, and I don't see Steinberg changing for the better, but other people will feel differently of course. Everyone is unique. But for some reason I find Studio One to be much more pleasurable for me to work in right now, and I'm going to give it a shot. As always, YMMV.

81 postsPage 2 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5