81 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Another update to wrap up my feature-length film project -- so yesterday I just sent my client the final final revised sound design files for the project that was completed in Studio One 4.0.1, and he couldn't be happier. He has no idea the project was done in Studio One, and it was honestly a giant test by fire for me to sort of prove to myself that Studio One could do it. And it did great, saving me from a nightmare in another DAW (mentioned above in a prior post). As I look back, Studio One did very well overall -- it *never* crashed on me (I was quite surprised by that), it handled a complex film project with lots of automation and details, easily rendered many long mixes and bus exports reliably every time, and allowed me to be very creative and use its excellent workflow, with few limitations.

Again, while it's missing some key features that I really need and miss (I mentioned some above in a prior post, and they've been detailed here in this thread by others), it also let me be more creative in other ways. In particular, the sound design potential is really outstanding, even if it wasn't originally made for that. And most importantly, it was solid with the plugins I use, and my client is happy. Obviously for surround work it won't do the job, but I'm trying to come up with a new workflow so that it can still be part of my upcoming surround projects with Nuendo and Pro Tools. There's a certain flexibility and freedom and yet consistency inside Studio One that the others lack, so it's a more friendly environment to me, conducive to creative manipulation IMO. Yes of course when dealing with things like articulation management, we're all waiting for the Presonus developers to give us what we need, but the other tools are very strong or unique.

The bottom line is that Studio One is absolutely capable of dealing with complex, intense, projects like films if you want to take a stab at it, and I just hope the developers are listening and spend some time focused on this area, and I think it will really shine -- they will be able to build a group of passionate, inspired users who want to use Studio One for many kinds of film work. Given my trial by fire with Studio One on this project, I'd say it's a very worthy tool if you are fully aware of the current shortcomings and advantages, and IMO it's only going to get better and better over time. No perfect DAW exists, but at least for me, I've proven Studio One can do solid work in this area. Looking forward to the future!
by muziksculp on Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:02 am
jdurham wroteAnother update to wrap up my feature-length film project -- so yesterday I just sent my client the final final revised sound design files for the project that was completed in Studio One 4.0.1, and he couldn't be happier. He has no idea the project was done in Studio One, and it was honestly a giant test by fire for me to sort of prove to myself that Studio One could do it. And it did great, saving me from a nightmare in another DAW (mentioned above in a prior post). As I look back, Studio One did very well overall -- it *never* crashed on me (I was quite surprised by that), it handled a complex film project with lots of automation and details, easily rendered many long mixes and bus exports reliably every time, and allowed me to be very creative and use its excellent workflow, with few limitations.

Again, while it's missing some key features that I really need and miss (I mentioned some above in a prior post, and they've been detailed here in this thread by others), it also let me be more creative in other ways. In particular, the sound design potential is really outstanding, even if it wasn't originally made for that. And most importantly, it was solid with the plugins I use, and my client is happy. Obviously for surround work it won't do the job, but I'm trying to come up with a new workflow so that it can still be part of my upcoming surround projects with Nuendo and Pro Tools. There's a certain flexibility and freedom and yet consistency inside Studio One that the others lack, so it's a more friendly environment to me, conducive to creative manipulation IMO. Yes of course when dealing with things like articulation management, we're all waiting for the Presonus developers to give us what we need, but the other tools are very strong or unique.

The bottom line is that Studio One is absolutely capable of dealing with complex, intense, projects like films if you want to take a stab at it, and I just hope the developers are listening and spend some time focused on this area, and I think it will really shine -- they will be able to build a group of passionate, inspired users who want to use Studio One for many kinds of film work. Given my trial by fire with Studio One on this project, I'd say it's a very worthy tool if you are fully aware of the current shortcomings and advantages, and IMO it's only going to get better and better over time. No perfect DAW exists, but at least for me, I've proven Studio One can do solid work in this area. Looking forward to the future!

+1

Yes, I'm Looking forward to see more focus from Presonus on Studio One Pro 4 enhancements in the area of scoring, this will surely be a fantastic step forward for Studio One.

I was a Cubase user, and will surely stick to Studio One pro 4, especially if I see Presonus add some of the missing features we have been begging them to add to it, that will improve Studio One for film scoring, and for orchestral music composers that will make working more productive.

I'm also sure many Cubase users will seriously consider adding, or switching to Studio One Pro 4 once this happens, so it's a very good strategy for Presonus to attract Cubase film, and orchestral composers.

Hopefully Presonus is listening, and will deliver this soon.

Studio One Pro 6.0.2 , FaderPort 8, ATOM. (Windows 10).

HW Synths, Virtual Instruments, Sample Libraries, HW & VST Effects, and Various Acoustic Instruments
by phillipdixon on Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:30 pm
I second that

S1 4 pro SCAN Pro Audio 3XSystem PC (dont know the details but high end build ,64g ram 9 ssd's
To many Spitfire.VSL. (amongst others) libraries
studio logic sl 88 and korg pianos and a ton of other
stuff that i just had to have
by phillipdixon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:09 am
http://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com/stud ... -projects/
This is a good workaround
If you've not seen
Fingers crossed next release might
Get some stuff we really need

S1 4 pro SCAN Pro Audio 3XSystem PC (dont know the details but high end build ,64g ram 9 ssd's
by nk_e on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:15 am
phillipdixon wrotehttp://www.jonathanwrightmusic.com/studio-one-instrument-presets-large-orchestral-projects/
This is a good workaround
If you've not seen
Fingers crossed next release might
Get some stuff we really need

Nice article (and site).

:+1

aka "gesslr" or "george napier"

10 core iMacPro 1,1 | 64GB | OSX 10.15.6 | S1Pro 5.0.1 | MOTU I/O | Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.storyaudio.com
FB: geo.napier3

PLEASE SUPPORT THESE FRs

Video follows edit mode
http://tinyurl.com/yc2gc9b3

Studio One Workspaces
http://tinyurl.com/ybgfjpoj
by bassfx on Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:45 am
Crossing fingers for sure!

BTW, I should mention that the Presonus devs didn't forget about composers in 4.0, contrary to the common reaction/perception that seems to be floating around by many people. Not trying to defend Studio One's devs, but it's a viable platform that deserves credit for continued progress in that area.

Besides the larger new features, which on the surface are not oriented towards composers, several of them can certainly can be a benefit to composers. For example, the chord track isn't just for beginner songwriters and people who don't know theory, it's useful for composers too, plus cool drum/pattern editing, etc. that I personally didn't need or want, but I will admit that I find them pretty fun and useful. But they ALSO added some nice little improvements to MIDI and editing -- improvements to humanize, length, velocity, macros, selection, sync option for editors, etc... Plus (and I haven't tried this myself), improvements to the macro pages in the Studio One Remote app, which could help composers.

And then for the post production and sound design side, we also got some subtle improvements, which I've mentioned before. So progress is taking place in many areas, even for these kinds of workflows.

Their marketing department could sure use some improvement in helping to identify those new features and use-case scenarios IMO.

But the BIG missing item though, IMO, and according to most composers I talk with, is an elegant, native articulation management solution. I feel like if they delivered articulation management, it would cause a huge shift in the perception of Studio One and generate a lot of interest. But until then, Studio One is not likely to get as much respect as it deserves from composers, who will continue to consider how they do some tasks as "workarounds."

So again, I'm crossing fingers. I believe the devs are listening. Big question is when will they deliver? I'm betting we'll get some love in the 4.X lifespan.
by phillipdixon on Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:50 pm
I tottally agree with you JD
Most notably for me are the inprovements
In the piano roll view (edit view)
Its a great daw ..i tried cubase end of last year
But found it hard work....and went back to studio one ......it suits my needs..

by petermaurer1 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:14 am
Hi

I am new to Studio One v4.
I work with orchestra libraries. EWQL or VSL. Wood, strings brass, percussion with lots of articulations. In Cubase it worked great with Keyswitch :thumbup: . How do you do that in Studio One? I can not find a way. :cry:

Peter
by craigallen2 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 am
petermaurer1 wroteHi

I am new to Studio One v4.
I work with orchestra libraries. EWQL or VSL. Wood, strings brass, percussion with lots of articulations. In Cubase it worked great with Keyswitch :thumbup: . How do you do that in Studio One? I can not find a way. :cry:

Peter

I have the same question as Peter. Expand from PLAY to include Kontakt and Aria instruments.

Any answers / tutorial for keyswitch approaches until articulations arrive?
by Janko Kezar on Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:48 am
Im changing via keyswitch with patterns and their variations. (ctrl+shift+p or alt+doubleclick in the lower track area in the arragement). Each variation can represent a different articulation in the same pattern event. Also change the pattern editor to melodic mode to see all notes at the same time.

For instance Kontakt keyswitch patch uses c6 to A6 so i have these notes set in patterns variations.Great thisng is also you can rename each pattern variation.

Just create another instrument track and asign its out to the same instrument as yor vsti track. You can also save the patterns as a pattern file via drag and drop to the browser for later use.(it saves the variations) .

Also research musicloops (it saves midi plus the instrument)- when you drag and drop the midi or pattern event you get a choice in the browser- musicloop or MIDI(patern file)- you can change the choice via ctrl key (when you drag the event to the browser dont let go the mous button and a dialog to choose will appear)

The only thing i miss is the ability of cubases articulations to pick up the given articulation in the middle of a bar.(chase).

Attachments
pttrn.PNG

HP z230 i7/16gb , HP Elitebook 8470 i7/12gb ,Win 10, 64 bit, S1 3.3.1, 2.6.5 64bit Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, AllenHeath Qu-24, Steinberg UR22-mkII
by aaronbrito on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:23 am
Have given up on Studio one for the time being. They seem to be orienting themselves more towards mainstream music and I can't blame them for it.

I would recommend, if you're composing with a lot of MIDI/ kontakt instruments to try reaper. It has an articulation switcher, tempo map and almost endless amount of customization is possible.

Studio one's most requested feature since 2 years now is an articulation map but they don't seem to be keen to listen to their users. Also MIDI editing and CPU usage on S1 are sub-par imo (way below what Reaper offers btw)...
by kdm on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 pm
I have just moved from Cubase to try Studio One for scoring. I once used articulation maps extensively, but there are problems and limitations with that concept when creating mockups. I went back to using a large template of one-track per articulation a few years ago. Studio One handles my template very well (vertical zoom is slow - just a GUI update issue most likely).

Midi editing lacks some macros, but I have alternatives with S1 so I really don't miss that as much as I thought I might.

I don't find cpu usage to be much different from Cubase. There are quite a few advantages to S1 for scoring, and in general compared to other DAWs, especially if you spend the time to adapt your workflow to S1. I am working on a video demonstration of some of those features and my top reasons for using Studio One for film scoring. Hope to have that finished in a week or so.
by bassfx on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:37 pm
Thanks, kdm! Please post a link to that video here -- I'm sure many of us would love to see your insights.
by phillipdixon on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 pm
yes same here....

by aaronbrito on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:08 pm
Another disappointing update....
by rolandsippel on Fri May 01, 2020 12:46 pm
The most weakness of S1 for Film Composers is:

in S1 you cannot make tempo changes for markers to fit on the downbeat.

Vote for this Feature Requests:
https://answers.presonus.com/12351/s1-f ... res-needed

This video shows what S1 needs for film scoring (sorry Cubase, Logic Pro X and Pro Tools have this important feature)

phpBB [video]

by ozinga on Fri May 01, 2020 9:11 pm
rolandsippel wroteThe most weakness of S1 for Film Composers is:

in S1 you cannot make tempo changes for markers to fit on the downbeat.

Vote for this Feature Requests:
https://answers.presonus.com/12351/s1-f ... res-needed

This video shows what S1 needs for film scoring (sorry Cubase, Logic Pro X and Pro Tools have this important feature)

phpBB [video]

+1
My workaround is; I create empty events at marker points and beat map to them using snap to events feature. But beat map to markers is a must

MB PRO 2018 32/1TB Mojave
iMac 2017 64/512 Mojave
UAD Apollo X6 / UAD Apollo 16 / UAD Apollo Twin X
by rolandsippel on Sun May 10, 2020 9:49 am
Thanks. I have tried this empty events at marker points. It doesn't really work, if you make a tempo or Beat changes before this, because your settings are not working or if you get a Picture Review of the movie, with new Scene inserts or changes before. I have around 25 Markers on 8 Minute Session, so they all moved ....

But anyway, this topic beat map to markers, or better Movie handling doesn't care anything really - as you look at the presonus S1 Front page, there is no Film Composer Portrait present, only, Songwriter, Mixer, DJ's, etc. ... :roll:

by musicchamber on Mon May 11, 2020 1:53 am
I don't think Presonus are the least bit interested in improving work flow for users / composers who work in the Film / Gaming industry and Classical Musicians etc

Maybe my opinion is incorrect, we will see if Presonus has a change of heart when V5 of Studio One. I sincerely hope so, but I'm losing faith in the company.

Presonus really needs to have a score editor, and stop messing around with the work flow as is currently with Notion, which is pretty dire!

My 2 cents, to be taken with a pinch of salt!

Best,
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by IanM5 on Mon May 11, 2020 4:06 am
I kinda agree on the Notion thing. I demoed it and did not buy it, even though it is very cheap for S1 owners It's clunky to use and feels completely different to Studio One, I guess because it is a "bought in" product. I get better, quicker and more predictable results by exporting MIDI files to (free) Cakewalk

Cubase and Logic both have built in scoring. Surely those two products are the target for Studio One.

Heavy-handed moderation can strangle a forum

81 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5