11 posts
Page 1 of 1
Dear community,

at the moment i´m still on version 3.3.1. i like to update 3.5 offline.

So i´ll download the 3.5 installer from my account on an internet computer, transfer it to my offline audio computer and install from here, so far so good.

Should the studio 192 interface be on or off while performing the update? Or isn´t that relevant at all?

If i like to keep the older version, i need to choose a subfolder for version 3.5 which i could call "Studio One 3_5" for example, so this is the folder i install the update to.

Where should i create this folder? As a subfolder inside the presonus main folder or as a subfolder inside Studio One 3 folder.

should it be like this ? :

C: -> Programs -> Presonus -> Studio One 3_5

or like this ? :

C: -> Programs -> Presonus -> Studio One 3 -> Studio One 3_5

For studio 192 interface i have Universal Control Version 1.8.1 (Firmware Version: 1.6-35) installed.
Is it advisable to update Universal Control to the latest build as well, which is 2.1 i think ?
As far i could see in the update release notes, only things not relevant for my setup has been improved and fixed.

If so, is it as easy updating UC offline as updating studio one offline?

Do i have to reconfigure everything (midi device, audio device, soundsets, presets etc.),
when i overwrite studio one 3.3.1 withe the 3.5 update ?

- Acer Aspire E17 Laptop running latest Windows 10 64bit Home Edition.
- Intel i7 Core-6500U, 2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz
- NVidia Geforce 940M With 2 Gb VRam
- 8 Gb DDR3 L Memory, 128Gb SSD, 1 TB HDD

- Studio One V.3 Professional
- Presonus Studio 192 Interface
- Novation Impulse Midicontroller
by Lawrence on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:38 pm
Install it in parallel, keep 3.3.1 installed.

1. Go to Help > Open or Show Settings Folder or whatever and copy and paste everything there to a backup folder somewhere. This is because "same major versions" share settings files and if for any reason you want to fully revert back, if 3.5 changes some settings files that may have some negative effect on 3.3.1, you can always copy all of that back to get back exactly where you were before.

Likely won't ever have to do that but it only takes a minute.

2. When you run the 3.5 installer change the default install directory so that it doesn't overwrite 3.3.1. It's near-automatic on OSX ("keep both") but on Windows you need to change the installation folder name to "\Studio One 35" or something different from "\Studio One"... or "\Studio One 3"' ... or whatever the default folder name is.

3. Make another task bar or Start Menu shortcut for that version.

I wouldn't personally ever update (same major version) Studio One any other way. Once you're happy or comfortable with the new version, just delete the other one.
by mattiott on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:12 pm
thanks for the input so far

so if i install version 3.5 in parallel, into a subfolder which is inside presonus main folder....

1. Will S1 3.5 automatically re-configure and re-locate everything (midi devices, soundsets, vst location, audio devices, presets etc) that i´ve set up in my previous version (3.3.1) ?

As i said earlier, i´d like to install studio one 3.5 offline by downloading the installer from my account on an online pc and transferring it to my offline pc to perform the installation from there

2. is it necessary to re-activate/re-register 3.5 in this case or can i start working right after the
installation?

by Lawrence on Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:26 pm
Afaik, because all of that stuff is in the shared settings folder it should just pick it all up. There have been some reports about external devices losing their midi assignments in 3.5 and if so you can just re-assign those.

If you're already running version three you shouldn't have to activate it again, it's already activated. Activations are for major versions, 1, 2, 3, etc, or for upgrades, like from Artist to Pro, not individual dot or minor updates.
by mattiott on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:31 am
some time has gone since i created this thread and i still haven´t managed to update, loads of other stuff filled my head the last month.

but, since version 3.5.2 is out i like to finally do it.
Thanks for your help, really helpfull forum here, hope i can contribute some more in the future.

I think i will overwrite the version i have installed at the moment (3.1) with v. 3.5.2

I have some more questions really scratching my head:

1. The first time i installed Studio1 (september 2016) and Universal Control (for studio 192) on a fresh pc, i did everything online. Since then, my music pc isn´t connected to internet anymore. So now i would like to update to 3.5.2 offline. Is this a bad idea?

2. Also, Windows 10 64bit and and Universal Control havent been updated to the latest build since last year september. Would you recommend to update these before updating S1 or can i easily update them afterwards without introducing any additional harm?

by clintrupp on Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:03 pm
I would take Lawrence's suggestion and not overwrite your 3.1 S1. Files saved in 3.5 and later are not backwards compatible. As far as your 192, I would hook your workstation to the net and let Universal Control update to 2.3 and the firmware in the 192 to 1.7-7. I have been using it for a few days solid and have no problems with anything. Works well for me.

Win 10 x64, Gigabyte Z170 GA-7 i7 6700k, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz , Gigabyte GTX 970, Water Cooled. 2 X SSD Samsung NVMe 950 Pro 512gb, 840D SSD, 3TB WDC, Studio One Pro V4.1, CS18Ai, Quantum, Studio 192, E66 x2, E8 x 2, E5 x2, Temblor T10, Monitor Station V2, MPD218, MPD226, Cubase 10, Reaper 5, All iZotope and FabFilter plugs, Amplitube 4, Superior Drummer 3.0, EZ Drummer 2
by mattiott on Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:03 am
thanks clint,

i a bit confused now, i thought the latest firmware is included in the latest Universal Control installer?

I´ve already searched the net for a step by step instruction on how to update UC and Firmware to the latest version, wasn´t really successful.

On the presonus website they say to download the latest UC software and execute it on the machine where the studio 192 hardware is connected to.

How would the update process differ if i do it online ?
Can you maybe give me a step by step instruction on how to perform the online update process?

I´m unsure at the moment and like to avoid malfunctions or errors by doing something wrong.

Matti

by clintrupp on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:42 pm
I think it's pretty much the same downloading as updating through the UC gui/internet. The firmware for the 192 is inside the UC installer. I'd download and update to the latest UC, run it and update the 192 from within UC. I don't think there is any delta from being on the internet and being offline.

Win 10 x64, Gigabyte Z170 GA-7 i7 6700k, 32GB DDR4 3000MHz , Gigabyte GTX 970, Water Cooled. 2 X SSD Samsung NVMe 950 Pro 512gb, 840D SSD, 3TB WDC, Studio One Pro V4.1, CS18Ai, Quantum, Studio 192, E66 x2, E8 x 2, E5 x2, Temblor T10, Monitor Station V2, MPD218, MPD226, Cubase 10, Reaper 5, All iZotope and FabFilter plugs, Amplitube 4, Superior Drummer 3.0, EZ Drummer 2
by mattiott on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:32 am
thanks for taking your time to answer clint,

i´ve also made a support ticket asking for a step by step instruction.
as soon as they answer i will post this on the studio 192 subforum to help out other users, because i´ve noticed other users had some problems with updating in the past.

I know it sounds a bit stupid and i´m maybe overcautious and overcomplicating things, but i would like to safe me headaches afterwards..

as for now i think this is the way it should be done.

1. i open UC surface with my pc connected to the internet.

2. UC surface is asking me to update the Firmware -> so i click that button and wait until UC surface is telling me that the firmware update is finished and i have turn off Studio 192 and back on, as suggested in the manual.

So this process updates the firmware and the UC to the latest version at the same time and i don´t have to download anything manually from my account because everything is installed automatically within UC-Surface, please correct me i i´m wrong.

kind regards

Matti

by clintrupp on Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:22 pm
You are essentially correct except I start my current version of UC and check for updates. (Update UC first, then restart it, then check the firmware of the 192). The reason I mention connecting to the net is because the system does an instant check against the version you have to the latest available release version. Steps I take when updating, and have for almost 2 years with NO issues or bricking my 192:

1. Start UC with the 192 powered up
2. Click File, Check for updates
3. If it says there is new version, I proceed to download and update
4. Reboot, and restart UC and with the 192 powered on, UC will check the firmware state of the 192 and recommend you update the firmware.
5. Let UC update the firmware paying attention to the screen prompts, specifically to not power down during flash update. This would probably brick the 192.
6. The end of the firmware update it will state to cycle the power on the 192.
7. For that warm and fuzzy feeling, I cold boot everything, including the 192.

I have never had any hitches or glitches with their update process. It's robust. If you are leary, only thing I could recommend is unplug every USB device from your Acer minus the mouse. If you are confident about the stability of your Acer, go for it.

The new UC, drivers and interface between UC/192/S13.5 is kick a$$. They really did a great job with this setup.

by mattiott on Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:11 am
nice man,

really detailed instruction.

Also, support wrote back and although i wrote them that i could hook my pc up to the net during the update they described the offline update process which appears simpler at first:

heres a quote of what they wrote:

Hi,

You may download the current version of Universal Control from any internet capable computer.

https://www-media-presonus.netdna-ssl.c ... -44619.exe

You can copy the installer to a flash drive and bring to your studio computer.

Run the installer and install Universal Control.

Once installed, open Universal Control and Update the Firmware.

You can do the same for Studio One.

Anyway i will post both instructions on the studio 192 subforum.

I have to decide which method i use now. I will report back how it worked.

Thanks for all the help

11 posts
Page 1 of 1