6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'd like to make an 8 bit synth using Mai Tai (because I don't own pro). Any tips or tricks to make the vst sound like that?
by LBH on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:57 am
robertphillips4 wroteI'd like to make an 8 bit synth using Mai Tai (because I don't own pro). Any tips or tricks to make the vst sound like that?

HI.

Not sure what you are asking about. I'll try to respond this way.

Mai Tai have 2 Oscilators with the basic waveforms, 2 LFOs and other modulation possibilities, a quality setting and more. I believe all the needed tools to make sounds like that is present in Mai Tai/ Studio One. Use the tools.
Some tips:
For example don't use delay, reverb and chorus unless you think that work better.
Perhaps use the 80s quality setting unless you find another setting work better.
Perhaps export sound files in 8 bit, but again use what work best.

You can transfere some basic stuff on how to make sounds like that from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btFH6JIJ0oQ
And i guess you can find more tutorials on the web if that's what you are looking for.
And perhaps you can even find some applications to especially create that kind of sounds if you think that's better.

To me saying "sounds like that" don't say much except perhaps saying cheap or basic sounding sounds from a period where computeres did'nt have much power. There are so many variations in sounds like that, so the phrase don't tell much.

Is this answer what you are looking for, or what excactly do you ask about?

Motherboard: Intel DH77KC
CPU: Intel I7 3770, 3,4 GHz, Quad core - Hyperthreading
SSD: 2 X Samsung 840 PRO series
RAM: 16 GB
Graphics: Intel HD 4000
DAW: Studio One 2 and 3 Professionel - 64 bit
Controller: Novation SL-MKII - Automap
Soundcard/ Interface: NI Komplete Audio 6
All is Fully updated including BIOS and firmware.
by garryknight on Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:25 pm
If you're talking about recreating chiptune, use only one simple square wave, drag the PWM knob all the way clockwise, and leave it dry, with no effects. In the Amp ADSR, set the Attack, Sustain and Release all the way to the left, set the Decay to about 500ms. Set Voices to 1 and set Mono mode.

For chords, you obviously can't layer notes - just as you couldn't with, say, the original AY-8910 chip - so you can put notes into the Piano role to create a very fast (1/64 of a beat) down-up arpeggio. Or you can put the synth in Poly mode and use the Arpeggiator to play 1/64 down-up arps.

For melody, you can either use single notes or put a short string of 1/64 notes into the piano role to represent each melody note. If you're going to do it this way, t's probably easiest to lay down your whole notes then set the grid to 1/64 and Split to Grid.

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by robertphillips4 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:47 pm
Thanks so much for the help! I found the use of your instructions plus fiddling around got me the sound I wanted.
by Jemusic on Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:18 pm
Try setting up MaiTai as per normal and use the Bit Crusher Plugin. Easier all round and it might even get you closer to the sound you are after. There are a bunch of 8 bit presets in there. Try them and see how they sound.

Not sure if Bit Crusher is available in the version you are using though. It is in Pro.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by kerryhartjen on Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:17 pm
Thanks to all who posted instructions. And just FYI, yes, Studio One Artist does indeed contain Bitcrusher.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1