10 posts
Page 1 of 1
S 3.5, Windows 7,Yamaha Steinberg FW interface (MR816x), Novation SL61

On an existing project created with S 3.3.4, heavily loaded project plays fine with Device Block Size 96 samples, and Dropout Protection set High (1056 samples).

No issue with audio recording in low latency mode.

Midi is showing as being received on the instrument track. There is either no sound, or sometimes (haven't pinpointed the conditions), the instrument will spit out the notes more than 5 seconds after I've played them.

I can get them to play normally by either:
    * Turning off "Enable low latency monitoring for instruments", or
    * With low latency monitoring on, setting Dropout Protection to Minimum

I've tried a number of instruments from different companies, including Presonus. They all behave in this way.

I haven't yet gone back to see if a new project has the same issue, but I will later this weekend.
by j0001s on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm
I now know what the problem trigger is. It's my Steinberg interface (or, more accurately, the driver).

I hooked up my NI Komplete Audio 6, and instrument low latency mode works perfectly. With the project open, I flip back to the Steinberg interface, and no instrument sound. 100% reproduceable.

I'm using an MR816X, which is Firewire. The only other report I've seen so far was with a Steinberg USB interface.
by jpettit on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:10 pm
Please put your specs in your signature. See mine for a link.

Does this happen with a new empty song with that MIDI interface?

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by j0001s on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:44 am
It's the audio interface I'm changing, not the midi. All I had hooked up for midi at the time was my Novation SL61 via USB.

I tried a new song, and the results were strange.

* Rebooted, started S1 fresh, created new song
* Added one instrument track, added Mojito , played fine with dropout protection (DP) on
* Added some audio tracks (dragged them in from old Cubase project, didn't record them), DP on OK
* Added some plugins, DP on OK
* At this point, I think it's OK, and it's related to a pre 3.5 song only. So, my "testing" is over.
* Have some ideas, start to mess around with that same song, not particularly structured. At some point, I go to the instrument, and it doesn't work with DP on
* I bring up the undo history. If I undo all the way back to where I first added the audio tracks, the instrument plays with DP on. Redo adding the tracks, it stops.

BTW, I did add my system specs to my sig, but it's not displaying. I had support manually change my handle to j0001s instead of showing my real name. Since then, some forum features don't work. I guess that the sig is one of them. I've added the info myself below.

----
Win 7 SP1 64 bit (all updates), I7 4 core, 8 Gb, Dual monitors (1920x1200, 1920x1280), Steinberg MR816X, 3xUAD Solo, TC Electronic Powercore Element, Novation SL61, Faderport, Studio 1 Pro 3.5, Cubase 8.5
by jpettit on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:03 am
At some point, I go to the instrument, and it doesn't work with DP on.

What instrument have you been talking about all along?
Virtual or physical. Name?

SPECS: Win 11 23H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by j0001s on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:15 am
All virtual instruments. Tried a ton. The test case above used Mojito.
by jpettit on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:22 am
OK well we're talking you should open a support ticket anyway

by j0001s on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:26 am
Will do later tonight.
by jpettit on Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:20 am
Ok this needs to be consolidated to see the symptoms and debug path.

Setup
S 3.5, Windows 7,Yamaha Steinberg FW interface (MR816x), Novation SL61

Condition:
  • No issue with audio recording in low latency mode.
  • Midi is showing as being received on the instrument track. There is either no sound, or sometimes (haven't pinpointed the conditions), the instrument will spit out the notes more than 5 seconds after I've played them. <== SYMPTOM 1
  • The problem trigger is. It's my Steinberg interface (or, more accurately, the driver). MR816X, which is Firewire Swap out all works OK, I flip back to the Steinberg interface, and no instrument sound. 100% reproducible. <== SYMPTOM 2

Test:
1. Rebooted, started S1 fresh, created new song
2. Added one instrument track, added Mojito , played fine with dropout protection (DP) on <= SYMPTOM CHANGE 1
3. Added some audio tracks (dragged them in from old Cubase project, didn't record them), DP on OK
4. Added some plugins, DP on OK
5. At this point, I think it's OK, and it's related to a pre 3.5 song only. So, my "testing" is over.
6. Have some ideas, start to mess around with that same song, not particularly structured. At some point, I go to the instrument, and it doesn't work with DP on <== SYMPTOM 1
7. I bring up the undo history. If I undo all the way back to where I first added the audio tracks, the instrument plays with DP on. <== SYMPTOM 3
8. Redo adding the tracks, it stops.

FYI there is a pattern slowly emerging with older OS versions.
1) Start a new test song repeat 1-6 without adding plugins.
2) Open your performance monitor and watch instrument latency closely.
3) Once it is working step 4-5 save sn and reboot S1 to continue testing.
Let us know the findings.
Thanks

by j0001s on Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:10 am
I did a round of testing as requested, but focused on loading. I threw a ridiculous number of tracks, virtual instruments and plugins at it, and instrument dropout protection worked fine. With a stupid amount of loading, I could get stuttering and slowdowns, but nothing fell over. Pretty impressive, actually. So, my situation doesn't seem to be CPU overloads on its own.

What I didn't do is act like I normally would. There were few volume moves, no track reordering, no plugin adjustments. Only one FX buss. No editing, etc.

Test log attached. I did checkpoint saves along the way, so I have a good start point for other tests. Even the nastiest loading one loads correctly.

If you have a suspicion of what might be the cause, I can look further. I have a few ideas, and will try some more tests. I will only be able to spend a small amount of time on this activity this week.

Load test.jpg

10 posts
Page 1 of 1