52 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
Well, actually this thing of auto punch it doesn't resolve the issue of the title of the thread:
"(track doesnt playback when monitor button engaged as it did before)"
and it would be good to have some information about if this is going to change on the next update.
Presonus did really an amazing job in this new release with all these new functions but the problem of monitoring during a session is very hard for my daily studio works.

Studio One 4.1 - Mac-pro 2009 - 3.33 12cores 32gb ram, osx 10.12.6, UAD 2 octo(x2) - quad (x1) - RME FIREFACE 802
by Bbd on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:30 pm
Thanks Jeff. That helped. I had something wrong in my setup but I can punch in/out now and monitor the way I need to.
I updated my post above.

Bbd

Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 4 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 4.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 16GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM
by jpettit on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:14 pm
nikolaospitloglou wroteWell, actually this thing of auto punch it doesn't resolve the issue of the title of the thread:
"(track doesnt playback when monitor button engaged as it did before)"
and it would be good to have some information about if this is going to change on the next update.
Presonus did really an amazing job in this new release with all these new functions but the problem of monitoring during a session is very hard for my daily studio works.

They just changes the procedure. ( actually this procedure works in 3.3.4 as well. )
What they got rid of wa the ability to hear the live instrument as well. They are looking at option but no promises.
If you need to hear the live input along with the playback track (after you hit start but before the punch in), use any one of the suggested workarounds.

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS:Win 10 64-bit, 12 Core i7: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 40" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24, Quantum, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6,Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro 4.0, Reaper 5.9, Sonar Platinum
by Robdp on Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:21 pm
Just really curious as to why the Studio One team would break the monitoring and playback functionally?
Being able to hear whats been recorded on the track, but also being able to monitor your signal live on that same track (for purposes of punching in etc ) is a basic function that every DAW has and with 3.5 this no longer works??

I understand the workarounds that people have suggested but in 2017 having this not work seems really amateur to me.. Would love it if they brought this back as this is a function I use EVERY recording session thousands of times a day.

Please advise If I'm missing something but this makes 3.5 unusable for me.

Producer/writer
Mac Pro 5,1 - OSX 10.11.6 - Studio One v4 - Apogee Symphony - SSL Sigma - Cranesong Avocet - Faderport 1 - Console One
by jpettit on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:04 pm
I would call it possibly a design oversight?
It changed when they optimized the engine to support monitoring with any plug-in under 3 ms while recording. They have known about it for sometime and will have to see if they can come up with a clever way to make it work again.

Just curious what is the example where you need to hear the previously recorded track and your live input simultaneously before he the punch ?

SPECS:Win 10 64-bit, 12 Core i7: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 40" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24, Quantum, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6,Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro 4.0, Reaper 5.9, Sonar Platinum
by Robdp on Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:16 pm
I see, glad that I'm not missing something. Definitely a design oversight and hoping that gets fixed in the next update.

Almost 100% of the time singers I work with like to hear themselves whilst hearing the take they just did so that they can either get the tone, tuning or performance spot on to the one they just did... having them not be able to hear themselves until the punch almost always throws them off... It's also REALLY time effective to be able to just rewind back a couple seconds and punch them in at a spot whilst they are hearing both and not have to go through the hassle of setting up another track, or doing some weird auto punch workaround.

Playing guitar and bass parts in myself I also like to hear my input and the what I did previously just to match performance etc... So understand singers wanting the same.

This is just how I work and pretty much anyone I've ever worked with do similar methods. Having the dual monitoring is a real MUST, I understand that not everyone does it that way, but most engineers and studios I've ever worked in tend to punch in quickly this way 99% of the time.

Producer/writer
Mac Pro 5,1 - OSX 10.11.6 - Studio One v4 - Apogee Symphony - SSL Sigma - Cranesong Avocet - Faderport 1 - Console One
by jpettit on Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:11 pm
Thanks
Yes it was a bit disappointing as well with amp simulators. To hear if you've got the right crunch expression etc. to match the punch in.

by cyaegha on Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:32 am
I read all the way to the end of this thread with hopes that I would find a solution for this. I REALLY wish I never clicked "update" that day because everything was working fantastically. For me, being able to hear my live input, and what I previously recorded up until the punch-in is vital. Not only just for tracking guitars on a song that's already been written, but I also like to use Studio One to just record new song ideas and that ALWAYS involves me recording a riff, sitting back down later to listen to my idea, and auto-punching in riff after riff as the ideas come to me. I can't do this without being able to play a long while listening to things I've already recorded. It's just how my ideas flow. I understand we can create another track as a work-around, but that seems counter-productive.
by Robdp on Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:44 am
cyaegha wroteI read all the way to the end of this thread with hopes that I would find a solution for this. I REALLY wish I never clicked "update" that day because everything was working fantastically. For me, being able to hear my live input, and what I previously recorded up until the punch-in is vital. Not only just for tracking guitars on a song that's already been written, but I also like to use Studio One to just record new song ideas and that ALWAYS involves me recording a riff, sitting back down later to listen to my idea, and auto-punching in riff after riff as the ideas come to me. I can't do this without being able to play a long while listening to things I've already recorded. It's just how my ideas flow. I understand we can create another track as a work-around, but that seems counter-productive.

Totally agree man. I updated without knowing this function was taken out and now have reverted back.
I too use it like you have described and hope this gets fixed in the next update.

Producer/writer
by MikeBowshier on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:34 pm
robpersaud wroteI see, glad that I'm not missing something. Definitely a design oversight and hoping that gets fixed in the next update.

Almost 100% of the time singers I work with like to hear themselves whilst hearing the take they just did so that they can either get the tone, tuning or performance spot on to the one they just did... having them not be able to hear themselves until the punch almost always throws them off... It's also REALLY time effective to be able to just rewind back a couple seconds and punch them in at a spot whilst they are hearing both and not have to go through the hassle of setting up another track, or doing some weird auto punch workaround.

Playing guitar and bass parts in myself I also like to hear my input and the what I did previously just to match performance etc... So understand singers wanting the same.

This is just how I work and pretty much anyone I've ever worked with do similar methods. Having the dual monitoring is a real MUST, I understand that not everyone does it that way, but most engineers and studios I've ever worked in tend to punch in quickly this way 99% of the time.

I agree 100%. I actually prefer to hear the previously recorded track and the new input BOTH, before, during and after the punch in spot. Yes you can duplicate tracks and such. I started with Tracktion and with it you don't even have to set punch in or out markers. Just move the cursor to a spot before the mistake, hit record and you hear both the input and previous track throughout the whole overdub. The new track is layered on top of the previous. You see both waves on the one track (translucent). Then just cut out the bad spot and resize the new take to fit in.

The ability to hear both the input and previously recorded take (using only 1 track) is high on my list !!! And I mean, hearing both whenever and however I choose. Especially the ability to hear both not using "punch in" mode.

AMD FX-8350 Black Edition, Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 mainboard, AMD Radeon HD Graphics-6450, Crucial Ballistix 1600 DDR3 (2x8 dual mode), 3 TB WD Black 7200rpm drives (2 drives), Siig PCIe Firewire, Corsair RM-650 PS, Mackie 1640i Firewire Mixer. Windows 7 64bit professional, PC has been optimized for DAW work.
by RuftyTufty on Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:18 am
robpersaud wroteI see, glad that I'm not missing something. Definitely a design oversight and hoping that gets fixed in the next update.

+1
Glad I did a separate install this time, for the v3.5 update - cannot work with it like this; don't care what 'workarounds' you throw at me... Shame. Fingers crossed for a solution in due course.

Win10 64bit 16Gb RAM; NVIDIA GTX750Ti graphics; Studio One Pro v3.5.1; Studio One Pro v4.1.4; Cubase Pro v10.0.15; UR44 audio unit; Audio Research Equator D5 and Yamaha HS80 monitors; ; Komplete 10, Stylus RMX, Addictive Drums 2
by evertabbing on Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 am
+1!
Very very annoying. Hope they will fix it soon.
by Jessa on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:39 am
+2, gotta get this sorted ASAP. This is a basic function critical to ANY piece of recording software. Just blow's me away that this has been an "oversight"??, wow!!.
by jpettit on Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:19 am
Oversight is probably the wrong word.
It's currently not possible with NLLM.
1) Use standard monitoring mode with the pre-3.5 procedure if your's song is not too large or complex.

2) If you absolutely need DP then use one of the alternative workarounds found on this thread.

NOTE: 50% of this thread was people not using the 3.5 procedure for punch in ( documented in the handbook and this thread. )

by mikemanthei on Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:31 pm
robpersaud wrote100% of the time singers I work with like to hear themselves whilst hearing the take they just did so that they can either get the tone, tuning or performance spot on to the one they just did... having them not be able to hear themselves until the punch almost always throws them off...

Add another vote for me too. the ability to hear what's on the track and the live input simultaneously is critical. It's how we've been recording for decades... When I can't deliver this to my clients, the creativity comes to a standstill and stopping the flow of creative work to apply some funky workaround is just.....
....well, amateur.
Please fix right away.
As for it being an "oversight"? Really? I understand wanting to be the first to market with the latest whiz-bang technology, but screwing up monitoring is just not acceptable.

Studio One v2, 3, and 4 Professional
Presonus 1818VSL / Focusrite 18i20 / StudioLive 32S
24-core Ryzen 9. 32 GB RAM
Tascam US-2400
Faderport 8
by jpettit on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:52 am

by Robdp on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:27 pm
jpettit wroteOversight is probably the wrong word.
It's currently not possible with NLLM.
1) Use standard monitoring mode with the pre-3.5 procedure if your's song is not too large or complex.

2) If you absolutely need DP then use one of the alternative workarounds found on this thread.

NOTE: 50% of this thread was people not using the 3.5 procedure for punch in ( documented in the handbook and this thread. )

Just so I understand, So we either use 3.5 and the NNLM and forfeit the way we've been used to recording and punching in for ever, OR use the new NNLM with 3.5 features, but use a workaround (Like leaving another blank track in input) so that we can achieve the desired effect of dual monitoring when punching in?
Cheers

Producer/writer
by jpettit on Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:52 pm
1) Use as is (no live pre punch in with pre punch in track)
2) Use Standard Monitor mode (Z off) (works as pre 3.5 if you do not have DP issue)
3) Use parallel empty track set to same input with only monitor on (works if OK with volume differences while monitoring punch in)
4) Use copy of track with Mut-o-matic plug-in (both sources alternative but requires a plug-in)
5) Set up a parallel output with Cue turn off and turn monitor on. (requires you to set extra output)

by Robdp on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:05 pm
jpettit wrote1) Use as is (no live pre punch in with pre punch in track)
2) Use Standard Monitor mode (Z off) (works as pre 3.5 if you do not have DP issue)
3) Use parallel empty track set to same input with only monitor on (works if OK with volume differences while monitoring punch in)
4) Use copy of track with Mut-o-matic plug-in (both sources alternative but requires a plug-in)
5) Set up a parallel output with Cue turn off and turn monitor on. (requires you to set extra output)

Ok great thanks! As I pretty much summed up, it's kind of an either or scenario.. I hope they are able to implement using the Z feature and having dual monitor on input.. can't believe that they wouldn't see that as quite important.

Is there an option to turn off the "Z" mode or use in standard monitor mode?

Producer/writer
by jpettit on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:10 pm
2) above, click Z off

52 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3