6 posts
Page 1 of 1
I work with VST instruments, and i've noticed recently that sometimes you will be able to pan instruments and sometimes you won't.

i've tried panning on both kontakt and on the each instrument fader and i get just this weird slight change of sound but not like a complete pan.. i've also used a pan plugin to see maybe it was something related to the software itself but that one also didn't do it.

the weird thing is that the signal on a stereo will display on the fader you will see right go up or remain the same while the left will go down.. so the signal is being panned but the sound never comes out as such.

has anyone experienced this?

[audio]sound blaster Z series sound card, M -audio BX5 Monitors [/audio]

[video]Gefore GTX 780[/video]
by The Rocker on Thu May 18, 2017 2:41 pm
Depends on the instrument ,,, Since it's stereo, the vst being stereo will have different sound on either side.
You can Output to a Bus, The Bus is stereo also, so make that Bus Mono by clicking the Channel double circles, to one circle,,,
This bus will give a mono output of the stereo, and allow you to pan. Just note possible phase issues can be caused when going into mono,,, Most instruments won't loose the intended sound effect...
Studio One doesn't have Stereo Pan as of yet,,,
Hope I didn't confuse either of us typing this, lol,,,

For better directed support, put your hardware and software in signature
Win8 Pro 64 sp1, i7 3770 Ivy, 32GB ram, 3.0 & 2.0 usb Studio One Pro 3 (latest ver)
Vista HomePrem 64 sp2, i7 920 Sandy, 12GB ram, 2.0 usb ....
Studio One 2 Pro latest ver.
CS18 - RM32AI, Monitor Station, Scepter 8, T10,
Rack- Studio Channel Tube, Warm Audio TB12, DBX166XL
AudioBox 44 VSL - no pops or crackles here,,,
Studio One for recording since 2012
10 Guitars, 1 Bass, Amps. Pedals/Processors, Arturia Keylab 88, Alesis QX61. mics, and more mics,
by davidalvarado on Thu May 18, 2017 3:22 pm
The Rocker wroteDepends on the instrument ,,, Since it's stereo, the vst being stereo will have different sound on either side.
You can Output to a Bus, The Bus is stereo also, so make that Bus Mono by clicking the Channel double circles, to one circle,,,
This bus will give a mono output of the stereo, and allow you to pan. Just note possible phase issues can be caused when going into mono,,, Most instruments won't loose the intended sound effect...
Studio One doesn't have Stereo Pan as of yet,,,
Hope I didn't confuse either of us typing this, lol,,,

are you saying that it doesn't have panning as of yet? is this true?

I care to ask, becasue I've been able to to pan the instruments left or right before.. so i don't understand why it isn't doing this.

Its worth mentioning that every time I route my instrument from kontakt to the DAW, i always use the batch function to create a separate channel for each loaded instrument, so kontakt will have each loaded instrument going into a different fader in the daw.

I don't know of any other way of doing this. I've never seen how VST users actually route their instruments from kontakt to their DAW but this is the only way i found how to do it.

[audio]sound blaster Z series sound card, M -audio BX5 Monitors [/audio]

[video]Gefore GTX 780[/video]
by The Rocker on Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 pm
Is this only on Instrument tracks ? By chance are you using the Console Shaper / CTC1 ?
Using these would give Bleed to the 2-bus / Main Out of S1...

davidalvarado wrotei've tried panning on both kontakt and on the each instrument fader and i get just this weird slight change of sound but not like a complete pan

Been a long time since I've used Kontakt,,,
So your sending a stereo out of Kontakt to a Stereo Instrument channel, per Kontact Instrument. panning that Instrument Channel fader in S1,

What i'm saying is if the stereo output of an instrument has different values on the left and right, panning that instruments channel would should not give the full instrument of both left and right,,,
But, it should at say 100% left, have no sound on the right.

As far as the Stereo Pan, I mean being able to Pan both left and Right, to either the left or right of a Stereo or Audio channel,,, We only have one Balance knob per channel, whether Stereo or Mono...
Which is why I mentioned the Mono change from Stereo on the Instrument channel fader in S1... below the Solo Mute buttons,,,

Win8 Pro 64 sp1, i7 3770 Ivy, 32GB ram, 3.0 & 2.0 usb Studio One Pro 3 (latest ver)
10 Guitars, 1 Bass, Amps. Pedals/Processors, Arturia Keylab 88, Alesis QX61. mics, and more mics,
by The Rocker on Fri May 19, 2017 8:48 pm
I know the issue is Panning,,, but in case you do not know,,, Also,,, you can Render the Instrument event by selecting it, and choosing Render to Audio Track. Preserve Instruments needs checked.

Using this will let you render back to an Instrument Track if later you want changes.

It also free's up your system CPU / Ram while continuing your creating...

--------------------------------------------------------------

by shinshin6 on Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:10 pm
I just noticed that while the track for my VST instrument is selected, panning on the channel has no effect.
but soon as I selected another track. panning started working.
I thought it might have to do with the "listen bus" but that does seem to work OK...
any hints on that?

6 posts
Page 1 of 1