45 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3
Hi all, I just switched to Studio One from Logic, but I am hitting the CPU limit with very little content, if I load a project which has a couple of the Roland Plug-out synths and my Waves Abbey Road plates reverb plugin, it is maxing out the CPU on my 8 core Mac Pro, I have 7 of my CPU cores available for Studio One

if I create a project in logic Pro X with exactly the same instruments and plugins it barely uses 10% of CPU power

I want to use Studio one, but this is making it unusable, is this behavior typical for Studio One?
by jBranam on Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:45 pm
in defense of S1... that abbey roads plates eats up the cycles like there is no tomorrow. it sounds great but almost non-usable unless you immediately dump to audio and remove the plugin :(

Ryzen 5 1600 : Asrock AB350M Pro4 : 32Gb 2400 RAM : Win10 64bit : Presonus 192 Mobile : Audient iD4 : Ultrasone 900 Pro : Blue Lola : Samson Resolv 50a : Ik Multimedia iLoud :

Knot Hardly Productions
¯\_ { ͡• ͜ʖ ͡•} _/¯
by scottmoncrieff on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:14 pm
This is pathetic...moderators delete's my post because I said Mai Tai can easily overload the processor on one core of a multi-core system also. It's like a new policy of censoring the truth.

I'll post the alternative's again for the OP as alternate solutions.

http://www.lesliesanford.com/vst/plugins/

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-reverb

http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugin-download/

CM Reverb available vie computer music magazine. Nubula3Free was free for a period of time.

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 920@3.57GHz,Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by robertphilpotts on Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:44 pm
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I just don't understand why Logic can run the same plugins using a fraction of the CPU power that Studio One 3 uses for the same set of instruments and plugins,
I was expecting Studio One to be super lean and efficient?

maybe it will run better on my Windows box?, is there a known difference in performance of Studio One between platforms?
by scottmoncrieff on Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:12 pm
robertphilpotts wroteThanks everyone for the suggestions, I just don't understand why Logic can run the same plugins using a fraction of the CPU power that Studio One 3 uses for the same set of instruments and plugins,
I was expecting Studio One to be super lean and efficient?

maybe it will run better on my Windows box?, is there a known difference in performance of Studio One between platforms?

I explained that briefly, until some mod deleted my post, but in brief in regard to your question. It comes down to how Studio One distributes the processing to the core's, different daws handle this differently. In this case Studio One is designed to manage processing across multiple tracks, there for distributing the load. Certain instruments and effects are coded in such a way to only allocate a single core, rather than distribute across many. This has both negative and positive benefits as single threaded applications don't interrupt the processing abilities of the host application. Plugin's which are designed to use a single core are easier to code and debug than those which are created for multi-thread processing. There is also, other factors which can come into play such as in the efficiency in which any plugin be that single core focused or multi-core focused is coded or assembled. So it's a combination of things.

There's a possibility that Studio One may run better on your Windows system, but that's for you to discover and find out. If it does, well you can let us know :)

THE INTRANCER- Digital 2D & 3D GUI / Music Artist |- Full Orchestral -Trance - Ambient - Film Scores 27 on S-Cloud 7000+genuine plays | 16 on S-Click | Studio One 3 Concept Re-Designs - Sample One XT | Reason X | S-O-3 Pro | Reaktor 6.0 | Reason 7 | C4D | CS6 |Win 7 64 Bit-Intel I7 920@3.57GHz,Focusrite Pro 14, ATH M50's, Casio XW P1&G1 Producer 20+ years - FOH - UK Stadium / Festivals) >>Studio One 3D GUI's<<
by gadget69 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:01 pm
Personally I think it's tone. You don't offer anything helpful or specific that is on topic. Yes, you offer a backhanded "comment" about Studio one that doesn't offer any solutions. The moderators here are simply trying to keep this from becoming a "Gear Slutz" type of negative environment because there are all ages here and Presonus has provided rules and guidelines that you blatantly disregard on a nearly daily basis. Perhaps if you adopted the spirit with which the forum was designed around you wouldn't find your posts impinged upon?

Awaiting the Apocalypse...

Tower:
Asus Crosshair V formula Z motherboard
AMD FX9590 4.0 GHZ 8 CORE CPU
16GB 2400MHZ RAM CAS8
512 GB SSD PRIMARY HDD
1.5 TB THOSHIBA 128MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
2.0 TB WD BLACK 256 MB 7200 RPM DRIVE
AMD R9-290 4GB VIDEO CARD
Windows 7 P sp1
2006 Imac
Lenovo thinkpad Z565 upgraded with a Quad core processor, SSD and maxed out 8GB ram
Win7 Sp1
Mac 2006
Ipad 3,
Ipad 4,
Ipad Mini
Iphone 6s+
Audiobox USB
1818VSL
i2
Studiolive 2442Ai
SL 16.4.2 X 2
Studio 1/3pro
Sony Sound Forge 10
Engineer / producer
Owner Twilite Zone productions
Owner Studio G
by scottmoncrieff on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:18 pm
None of that is relevant to the OP's post and questions, your post is so way off the mark, I've been present on this forum every day between 8 - 16 hours a day since December 2014 (+14 years daily before on others, not just music related, but CGI).

I help people on daily basis, and I use Studio One daily, but I ain't part of any Studio One protection squad for the software or cult. I stand as and always will stand as an independent user with my own unbiased views and help those who need it, even so far in developing free products at no cost to them.

The sheer mention of an Apocalypse... is indicative of causing one on this forum. I would suggest that you remove it.
Last edited by scottmoncrieff on Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

by shanabit on Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm
robertphilpotts wroteHi all, I just switched to Studio One from Logic, but I am hitting the CPU limit with very little content, if I load a project which has a couple of the Roland Plug-out synths and my Waves Abbey Road plates reverb plugin, it is maxing out the CPU on my 8 core Mac Pro, I have 7 of my CPU cores available for Studio One

if I create a project in logic Pro X with exactly the same instruments and plugins it barely uses 10% of CPU power

I want to use Studio one, but this is making it unusable, is this behavior typical for Studio One?

A simple YES this is typical, good luck :thumbup:

1. Increase your buffer
2. Disable plugins while working with those synths
3. Make sure to turn off the Console effects if they are on
4. Transform your instruments to audio tracks, works great!!

S1 Pro 4.5.2, Sceptre S6's, MR816X, OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
2010 MacPro Dual 2.4 quad,14 GB Ram,
by webhamster on Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:26 am
S1 is a great DAW, but it is not nearly as cpu efficient as Logic (actually the difference still blows me away).

S1 mainly has this issue when the buffer setting is very low. The good thing is that with high buffer settings you can run a lot of plugins. For mixing that is very usable (not for recording obviously).

In Logic the difference in the number of plugins between low and higher buffer settings is small, in S1 it is big. As far as I know it is very very high on a lot of people's wish list that S1 is better optimised for cpu usage.

S1 4 - Windows 10 1803 - i9 7900x 32mb - interface: Studio 192 + Quantum 2 - CS18ai
by irvingomez on Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:55 am
robertphilpotts wroteHi all, I just switched to Studio One from Logic, but I am hitting the CPU limit with very little content, if I load a project which has a couple of the Roland Plug-out synths and my Waves Abbey Road plates reverb plugin, it is maxing out the CPU on my 8 core Mac Pro, I have 7 of my CPU cores available for Studio One

Yes, this is what you can expect from Studio One. There are countless threads dealing with this topic. CPU usage is a problem, a very real one, when it comes to SO.
by multifederal on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:07 am
shanabit wrote
A simple YES this is typical, good luck :thumbup:

1. Increase your buffer
2. Disable plugins while working with those synths
3. Make sure to turn off the Console effects if they are on
4. Transform your instruments to audio tracks, works great!!

These are workarounds that are typical of 2005, and should have been a thing of the past, long gone, as is the case with every other DAW in existence. In my other DAW I can run a whole project on a very low-spec CPU and next to no ram, but in S1 on the same Laptop I can't run a single instance of a softsynth from that same project.

Now let's be honest... THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! And presonus refuses to address the issue and never has managed to alleviate the problem in the least. Utterly atrocious! And they wonder why I don't bother using S1.

A great DAW made unusable by an atrocious engine.

How is it that Reaper (which I don't use) with a single coder/developer can far outperform a multi billion $ company? This is ridiculous!

I wonder what it's gonna take for Presonus to rectify this wretched anomaly? :hunf:
by shanabit on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 am
multifederal wrote
shanabit wroteThese are workarounds that are typical of 2005, and should have been a thing of the past, long gone, as is the case with every other DAW in existence. In my other DAW I can run a whole project on a very low-spec CPU and next to no ram, but in S1 on the same Laptop I can't run a single instance of a softsynth from that same project.

Now let's be honest... THIS IS TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE! And presonus refuses to address the issue and never has managed to alleviate the problem in the least. Utterly atrocious! And they wonder why I don't bother using S1.

How is it that Reaper (which I don't use) with a single coder/developer can far outperform a multi billion $ company? This is ridiculous!

I wonder what it's gonna take for Presonus to rectify this wretched anomaly? :hunf:

I agree with you 100%. For giggle I just did a test here at 32 for S1, Cubase, Logic, Reaper using Perfect Drums. 2 bar loop, nothing else, same drum pattern etc.

StudioOnePro3 = PEGGED the CPU, REDLINE!!, also at 64 and 128 buffers
Cubase Pro 9 = PEGGED the CPU, REDLINE!!, same thing
Logic Pro X = Ate up 75% of ONE CORE
Reaper 5 = Gotta LOVE this, crazy 1.09% CPU for the SAME VSTi running 1.09%!!!!!

I don't like tracking VSTi's at 128 or higher here, I can feel it while playing it and the keyboard gets gushy if you will.

I HOPE Presonus addresses this BUT, fixing this doesn't bring in the payola

S1 Pro 4.5.2, Sceptre S6's, MR816X, OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
2010 MacPro Dual 2.4 quad,14 GB Ram,
by multifederal on Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:29 pm
Since Logic Pro X is able to achieve 9x better performance on Mac, this proves that S1 is in dire need of an overhaul, it needs to be fixed! Same OS... drastically different performance.

If I owned Presonus I would just bite the bullet and chuck Reaper's developer 10 large to get S1 purring. How is it that Presonus continues to ignore this shocking aberration? If I buy a Laptop with the latest cuttung-edge i7-7700HQ, S1 effectively relegates this cpu's true performance to 1/4 :thumbdown:

Presonus' silence on this issue is deafening. :?
by Steve Carter on Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 am
Unlike many of you I've only used S1 exclusively for the last 5 years (Sonar for 20yrs previous but doesn't/didn't run on OSX) so I don't have any recent comparable experience with other DAWs.

I do frequently run into CPU issues with S1 but have learnt to work in a manner to minimise problems. However, it may just be me but, it seems that since the last update I've had fewer CPU farts so maybe something is being done behind the scenes (or maybe I'm getting better at managing workflow).

Not trying to belittle the ongoing debate as it's obvious from the tide of comments made in this respect that S1 is falling short for many users in CPU economy, but I'm now seriously considering whether it's a newer faster, bigger, more powerful computer I need or maybe a change of DAW!

Regards...
P.S. not a power user so, as usual, ymmv.

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One Pro, Melodyne Editor 4, Vocalign Project, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope N2-O8 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by Lokeyfly on Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:55 am
multifederal wrote: Since Logic Pro X is able to achieve 9x better performance on Mac, this proves that S1 is in dire need of an overhaul, it needs to be fixed! Same OS... drastically different performance.

If I owned Presonus I would just bite the bullet and chuck Reaper's developer 10 large to get S1 purring. How is it that Presonus continues to ignore this shocking aberration?

There's different ways in measuring performance, so while I don't doubt one DAW may show some advantages over another, at CPU, its worth:

1. Getting more facts, and compare conditions before making such abrasive comments about something you haven't proved out. Verify your position, rather than what you think some manufacturer needs to do. (per your comments).
2. Bring up Reaper as some shot from the hip solution, is ridiculous. Reaper is so modular in it's design to shave down any CPU speed or necessary calculations, that the sum of the parts forces the user to literally patch audio, MIDI, and channel routing in the most inefficient ways one can conceive. The cost? Workflow, and unobstructed ease at the sole purpose of using a DAW. Keeping a creative flow. Period.
3. Leave. You wouldn't be the first, or the last who complained about something you can't support. Since YOU see such a drastic difference, without seeking some user comparisons from others, you have all the answers you need.
You don't own Presonus, but "if you did"...... what?

multifederal wrote
These are workarounds that are typical of 2005, and should have been a thing of the past, long gone, as is the case with every other DAW in existence. In my other DAW I can run a whole project on a very low-spec CPU and next to no ram,

They're legitimate workarounds for all DAW's. Those "tips" are utilized all of the time, if and when needed. .Again, compare, learn, and provide a fair and measured understanding to form a basis of your findings. Perhaps (and usually so) by comparing equal and measured performance with others, one can gain or learn new ways to get on with the program, or it indeed may be time to upgrade. Hmm, "and next to no ram". Impressive. Not a very precise, or compared measurement, if you see my point. You provide no measured reference. Nothing. Zippo. It's easier to complain.

Go look as other DAW's also provide similar "performance tips" Even Pro Tools does. An industry standard. If some people are power users, they shouldn't see any unsatisfactory conditions, for the most part, but every system demanding program requires a lot of recourses.

Yes, please be honest. Oh, and trust me....... "They", or anyone else for that matter would never wonder why you don't bother using S1. You're comparing apples to oranges, as Reaper (which I have used) is a complete manually driven design, not much different in concept, then my grandmother who worked for Bell Telephone as a switchboard operator. Patching everywhere. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Reaper user (figuratively)

S1 Pro 4.5.2, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Guitar controller: Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Sampler: E-Mu ESI-32, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01. Other hardware/Plugins and Libraries, contact me.

My music

On Bandcamp

On YouTube
by wdkbeats on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 am
I'm just wondering: how much longer will it take for PreSonus to actually listen to their customers when we say "STUDIO ONE 3 IS A CPU HOG. OTHER DAWS PERFORM MUCH BETTER WHEN DEALING WITH 3rd PARTY PLUGINS AND VI's"???

Even Studio One 2 is better!!! When 2.6.5 came out I was using i5 2500K overclocked to 4GHz and was able to mix pretty big sessions (100+ tracks) without hiccups, crackles, CPU spikes etc. Now I'm on i7 4790K OC'd to 4,5 GHz and with Studio One 3 I run out of CPU power with 60 track sessions.

If a 100 people, who have used many different DAWs, tells you that your DAW runs out of processing power much quicker than others, than they probably are onto something. And you can find thousands of people with similar experience with Studio One 3. Why deny it?

PC: Intel i7-4790K, 16GB RAM DDR3 1600Mhz CL9, MSI Z97-Gaming 5, Intel HD Graphics 4600, Super Flower Leadex - 80Plus Gold Modular 750W, SSD Samsung SSD840 EVO (OS), 2*WD Caviar Red 2TB SATA 3
DAW: Studio One Professional x64
Gear: RME Fireface 802, RME Advanced Remote, Focal Trio6 BE, Avantome Mixcubes, AKAI MPC Touch, AKAI Advance 61, Presonus Faderport, Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro
by irvingomez on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:26 am
Thread to be deleted soon....lol...moderators won't allow this hot topic to dominate the conversation. Expect the usual fanbois to come out to argue that Studio One is not a CPU hog because....they say so!....and prove it by acknowledging that other DAWs are much faster, but the way multithreading this and multithreading that and the windows kernel....lol
by webhamster on Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:53 am
I don't think saying S1 is a cpu hog is fair, but somehow Logic and Reaper have found ways to be very efficient.

While we can easily switch, I find myself drawn back to S1 because the workflow and feel are great. The cpu problems and poor customer support do have me looking at other daws from time to time.

S1 4 - Windows 10 1803 - i9 7900x 32mb - interface: Studio 192 + Quantum 2 - CS18ai
by Lokeyfly on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:22 am
There are far better threads with a logical discussion about core handling, and comparisons towards this subject. When people (no names) use all caps, as to shout their position, then that's not enforcing any complaint, which by the way no one has ignored.

Positions of calling others "fanboy", just show that one's position is not going to analyze anything. That's too bad, and unfortunate for the OP, robertphilpotts who is trying to make what they feel is a legitimate statement.

So to the OP, I apologise for ruffling the feathers of some who would rather accuse others of being in "denial", if they can't use a scientific approach by analysis, or a friendly comparison request.

Pretty sad, that an intelligent forum, has some who bolster their argument with name calling.

Guess, it shows one's age.

@ robertphilpotts, hey bud, check some threads, where you can compare better what may be any issues your seeing. That way, you can get some comparisons. I don't have a Mac, but there are some good folks here who could compare your findings.

All the best. :+1
Last edited by Lokeyfly on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

S1 Pro 4.5.2, Laptop: VAIO i7, 8 core, Win 7 64x. Audio Interface: Audiobox 22 VSL, Audiophile 192 Controllers: Arturia Keylab 49 MkII, Novation SL25 MKII, Faderport 8, Roland JV-90, Guitar controller: Roland GR-50, Percussion controllers: Roland Octapad, Akai MPD-18. MIDI Patchbay: MOTU 8x8, Sampler: E-Mu ESI-32, Mixer: Yamaha Promix 01. Other hardware/Plugins and Libraries, contact me.

My music

On Bandcamp

On YouTube
by CTStump on Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 am
This subject is not going to go away until it is addressed when compared against other platforms that allow multithreading across vst processing. When Studio One dictates which cores are used and wont spread that load it will always be a source of frustration for anyone who have not experienced this issue in hosts that allow vsts to be spread across all available cores...no matter what anyone says otherwise.

This subject is tiresome and will always pop up here and everywhere else and needs to be adressed NOT debated. It's not going away as it's being treated and explained so it really has to be dealt with to end these constant brow beating threads.

I don't use anymore tracks than I need and really cant see using more than 48 but then there are those that will load test a host with a 100+ tracks to see if this is an issue and point out this as a deal breaker or show stopper. Kinda unfair but a fact of life in the DAW world. Ari explained how the cores are used in another thread but it hasn't really stopped the issue from popping up on a regular basis.

I think it IS time to address core handling in a different way than explaining that it is not a problem when clearly it is for those experiencing it.

Studio One 2.6.5
Various Old Toys
***WARNING***Anything I post is subject to scrutiny as necessary or not... being human I'm prone to error, forgive and forget as necessary...OR NOT***WARNING*** ;)

45 postsPage 1 of 3
1, 2, 3