2 posts
Page 1 of 1
I've noticed that when running S1 my MacBook is dynamically switching from the Iris GPU to the AMD Radeon. My hunch is that S1 really isn't benefiting from the extra horsepower and since it consumes more energy and is less efficient I'd like to be able to disable it when running on battery.

I found an app that lets you force the Mac to use the Iris GPU, but it doesn't seem to work on my 2015 MBP. Would be great if we had the option via a config file or something to disable the external GPU.

OS X Sierra 10.12.4 | MacBook Pro 2015 | 2.8 GHz i7 Quad core | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon | RME Babyface Pro | Studio One Professional 3.5
by patrickbaker1 on Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:17 pm
FYI, for anyone that wants to override the dynamic GPU switching and disable for S1. gfxCardStatus does this, but you have to use the older 2.2.1 version if you have a newer MacBook Pro:

https://software.com/mac/apps/gfxcardstatus/2.2.1

Disabling the GPU helps to keep the overall temp of your laptop lower and therefore keep fan noise minimal for recording.

UPDATE: Apparently forcing S1 to use the integrated Iris GPU puts too much strain on the system for real audio (at least on my 2.8GHz MBP 2015 and RME Babyface Pro). I noticed pops that were actually being introduced into the recorded audio when running low buffer sizes which seem to clear up when the external Radeon GPU is activated so I've disabled gfxCardStatus for now.

OS X Sierra 10.12.4 | MacBook Pro 2015 | 2.8 GHz i7 Quad core | 16 GB RAM | AMD Radeon | RME Babyface Pro | Studio One Professional 3.5

2 posts
Page 1 of 1