12 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I am trying to digitize my record collection and was hoping somebody here would have a few pointers for me to achieve this.
All the videos I've seen have been using Audacity but I'd like to use studio one to get more familiar with it. Recently purchased studio one for my own music recording so I figure this would help in using it.

I'm thinking I just record the record and put markers in between songs to do this? Is there a way to put in info for each song and the album?

I have the professional version of studio one as well, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the help!!
by garryknight on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:14 am
You'll need to point Studio One at your line input; go to Options, Audio Setup - it's similar to the way you set up Audacity. You'll need to record an album as one entire piece and then split it up if you want to, so click Create a New Song from the start page. Make sure it's set to 44.1KHz sample rate with a resolution of 24 bit and set Song Length to approximately the length of the album, and click OK. It doesn't matter if you set the Song Length too short as Studio One will expand the timeline if necessary when you're recording.

Now add an audio track. On the Track menu, click Add Audio Track (stereo). Click Mix (bottom right-hand corner) to bring up the console; the channel for your track is the one on the far left and the Master channel is over on the right.

Click the Monitor button on the track header (the half-filled circled to the left of where it says 'Track 1') at the top-left of the window. This allows you to hear the audio input. Play the album and check the level on the track 1 meter; drag the gain slider up or down to suit.

Click the Record Arm button on the track header (the white circle to the right of M and S at the top-left of the window). This allows you to record onto track 1. When you're ready, click the Record button on the Transport Bar (the filled circle at the bottom of the window to the right of the Play button) and start your album playing back. When finished, press the Stop button (the blue square) on the Transport Bar.

Play some of it back to make sure it sounds OK. Save the entire recording somewhere suitable.

Now you can go through saving each album track separately if you want to. To do this, set the Loop Start marker at the left hand point on the track: Ctrl+click (Cmd+click on a Mac) on the timeline above the track to set the loop start. Find the end of the album track and Alt+Click (Option+Click on a Mac) to set the Loop End marker.

Now go to Song, Export Mixdown. Choose the format and bitrate you require, set the output filename and folder, and make sure the Export Range is set to Between Loop. Click OK to export the track. Repeat for all tracks.

And welcome to the forums. You'll find we're mostly friendly and helpful here so if you have any problems just ask away.

Garry Knight
Studio One 3 Professional
Melodyne Editor 4, NI Komplete 11
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 audio interface
Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, Core i5
Microsoft Surface Pro 3, Core i7, 8GB RAM, 128 GB SSD
Nektar Impact LX49+, Samson Graphite 25, and Korg microKey 25 MIDI controllers
Novation ZeRO SL MkII mixing control surface
Korg nanoKontrol 2 mixing control surface
Reaper, Logic Pro X, GarageBand
https://soundcloud.com/garryknight
by mitchellfollett on Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:57 pm
Thanks for the response! I'll have to try this out.
Slowing learning my way around Studio One, really liking it so far.
by jackie4 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:28 pm
Garry, Thanks for the useful information. When the full power of Studio One to refine each song is not needed I have found it convenient to move to a Project immediately after recording as follows:

Record the LP (all songs, both sides) as a single Studio One "song".

Create project (including updating mastering file).

Set cursor to each LP song start and split (not split track) - Alt X (also split unwanted audio).
Delete any unwanted audio and move events so ends snap together (keyboard "L" toggles snap).
It might be easier if you delete unwanted audio (events) before splitting LP songs.

Once events (LP songs) are arranged as desired add track markers:

Place cursor anywhere in first event (LP song)

Press Tab key to move to start of next event

Split track at cursor (left click, "split track at cursor" or add a shortcut key - I assigned Ctrl+Shift+T)

Repeat Tab / Split for remaining songs.

Edit metadata if desired. You probably want good metadata for digital release. You may want it for CD Text if you burn CD. Enter metadata common to all tracks in the first track metadata area. Then right click and copy to all (remaining) tracks. Then you can add metadata unique to each track.

burn and/or do digital release (probably want "Do not publish" if digitizing personal record collection)
by patm300e on Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 am
Great information in the Post! Thanks! :D

Studio One 5.1 Professional on Home built i9 10900K on ASUS Z490 Prime-A with 32 GB RAM 64-bit Windows 10 Pro Premium 500GB M2 WD Black SSD (OS) 1TB M2 WD Black SSD Data Drive. Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, and/or XR-18 USB 2.0 Interface. Single FaderPort , Behringer X-Touch control. Ozone 10 Advanced, Various Waves Plug-ins including Nx with Head Tracker and Ocean Way Nashville and Abbey Road studios.M-Audio Oxygen Pro Mini 32-Mini-Key Keyboard Controller, You Rock Guitar [Gen 2] Guitar MIDI Controller. Alesis DM10 MKII Studio Kit Electronic Drum Set.
by jamesdevereaux1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:29 pm
I am new to Studio One and the Presonus Audio Box 96 USB. I have used Audacity for years to record, cleanup and transfer old vinyl LP's to MP3 and WAV. The info you provided above certainly helps me get started recording. However, I can find in the Studio One help how to quickly remove clicks, pops and misc noise of the old (but cleaned) vinyl from the recording. It was rather simple in Audacity and I like simple. Can you help me learn how to do this in Studio One? Thanks, Jim
by jamesdevereaux1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:30 pm
cannot find, not can find
by Tacman7 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:19 pm
What is it you're looking for?

You want to remove silence? There's a toolbar for that.

Clean up the clicks and pops between songs?

Or clean up the content?

That would take a specialized plugin.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Jemusic on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 pm
Its not the clicks and plops in between the songs I think the OP is concerned about. That is easily achieved by putting silence in between the songs. It is the clicks and plops during the songs that is important. And Studio One has no facilities for removing that. You will need a noise reduction plugin (with click/pop removal) in order to achieve that.

Audacity (free) has a noise reduction algorithm and it may be OK for groove wall noise etc but it won't help that much with clicks and plops (which are a different form of noise) There are paid plugins that can handle those.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by j0001s on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:43 pm
I can recommend the Acon Restoration Suite as an effective and reasonably priced tool set. It's often discounted, sometimes up to 50% off. For cleanup, it's good as the Isotope suite.

Their Declicker works incredibly well for vinyl clicks and pops. It lets you hear what you're removing, so you can be sure that you're only removing the clicks and not taking out the transients. The rest of their tool set is helpful for other recording cleanup tasks (hiss and hum removal, fixing clipping, etc).

And, when you get more comfortable with Studio One, macros can really speed up the process of separating the tracks and saving them as individual songs.
by jamesdevereaux1 on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:04 pm
Yes, its the clicks and pops etc in the vinyl lp from lots of use, old age, dust, etc. that gets recorded into Studio One. I will shop for an add-in to wipe the noise like Audacity does. Thanks for the help. Much appreciated. Jim
by j0001s on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:20 pm
One last suggestion. If you can clean your records before the transfer, do so. Check with the high end audio shops in your area to see if any of them rent record cleaning machines.

It's definitely worth doing if you can.

12 posts
Page 1 of 1