10 posts
Page 1 of 1
I'm trying to get control over specific key velocity coming in from my controllers to VSTi's, specifically acoustic pianos. I am trying to use CodeFN42's VeloScaler and NoteMapper in Studio One 3.3.3. I set this up according to the FAQ on the site. There's no input from my controllers for live play this way: http://www.codefn42.com/faq_routing_studioone.html

When I set it up to be able to input to the Mapper or Scaler, the following occur:

I set each up in an instrument track for either plugin, input to them from my Advance 49 controller (I mute one or the other to test each). Output Ch 1 of either to Ravencroft 275 midi track. Ravencroft 275 midi track input set to either VSTi selected as Ch1. Keyboard plays the synth just fine from either, midi input lights on both tracks (either of the VSTi's and the piano synth - but not the piano midi track). Neither CodeFN42 program has any effect on the velocity of the synth when I change settings to lower velocity of a specified note.

If I play a preview note on Mapper's GUI, it shows up in the window - but does not show as a preview when I play the controller. I know it's getting midi as stated above, and further because if I highlight only the piano tracks, they don't sound until I highlight the Mapper/Scaler tracks.

If I try to midi learn a note in VeloScaler, I get an error code (see pic). If I try to hand edit the values, there is no change.

Here's some links to a few pics. Biggest thing I see that I don't know if it matters - The Midi note played triggers activity in either NM or VS track, and audio out of piano - but no midi on/off lights up on the piano track. If routing is from controller to NM or VS midi in, from NM or VS midi out to Piano Midi in, output to piano engine - why doesn't the note trigger and show up in the Piano midi track? Gotta be something stupid, but after 3 hours, I'm mystified.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187 ... 0Issue.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187 ... Oddity.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187 ... roller.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/187 ... 20Path.jpg

If you need more info, I'm happy to oblige.

Please advise, and thanks very much! - Shep

SHEP - ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Central Station - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - ASUS 24" LCD - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Akai Advance 49 - Axe Fx Ultra - Studio One 3.3.3 - Slate Drums 4 - Kontakt 5
by Funkybot on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:22 pm
Works here. Steps:

1. Create a new instrument track with Veloscaler (track 1)
2. Create a new instrument for your UVI Ravenscroft (track 2) - great piano library BTW - best I ever used!
3. Set the input to track 2 Veloscaler
4. Set the input to track 1 as your MIDI Controller (or All Inputs)
5. Turn on input monitoring on both tracks
6. Highlight Track 1 - this must be the active track
7. Begin playing

Result: Veloscaler's output is the input of the UVI plugin. Everything works as expected when scaling velocities when using the plugin.

Here's a screen print where I used Acoustic Samples Wurlie in place of Ravenscroft (didn't want to wait for it to load):

Here's the direct link to view it full screen: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/137 ... scaler.jpg

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by johnshepherd on Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:04 pm
So nice of you to chime in. But, NoteMapper does not work. It works perfectly in Sonar. I saved a preset for the Ravenscroft there, to load into S 1 3.3. I did exactly as you said, and loaded the preset, added Piano, did the routing (see pic). You can see I'm able to trigger the NoteMapper track, and get signal out to the piano track. But the Mapper does nothing, and there are some serious velocity cuts in the program (2nd pic). You can see me triggering C7 on the controller, but not in NM, and that signal hits the audio track, but the piano midi track isn't seeing it (no midi light). When I play in Sonar, the note played highlights in NM. It doesn't here. I don't see why not. Please advise if I'm still doing this wrong, Funkybot
. BTW - I can't make my I/O show up in the track field to save me. What am I doing wrong there? Thanks much Image

SHEP - ASRock Z97 Pro4 - i7 4790K 4.0ghz - 16 GB DDR3 - Windows 10 Home - Apollo Twin USB Duo - UAD2 Duo - Digimax FS - Central Station - Focal CMS50 - Raven MTi2 - ASUS 24" LCD - Slate VMS 1 - Bluebird - Yamaha MOXF8 - Akai Advance 49 - Axe Fx Ultra - Studio One 3.3.3 - Slate Drums 4 - Kontakt 5
by Funkybot on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:25 pm
Let's take a step back...

Why are using Notemapper in the first place? What's the problem you're having that you're trying to use Notemapper to resolve?

BTW - I can't make my I/O show up in the track field to save me. What am I doing wrong there?

Click the "A" button to toggle show/hide automation (or click the Show Automation icon right next to the Show Markertrack icon).

AMD Ryzen 3950X, ASUS Creator x570 Mobo, 32GB HyperX Predator RAM (3600mhz), Radeon™ RX 5500 XT 4GB GDDR6 graphics card, RME Fireface 800, Windows 10 Pro, Studio One 5, Reaper 6, Cubase 10.5, Avid Artist Mix (EuCon please), Behringer X-Touch One, MIDI Fighter Twister, various other MIDI control surfaces and hardware instruments
by johnshepherd on Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:47 pm
NM for me is to adjust the minimum/maximum velocities on input for various piano synths I have. This works perfectly in Sonar (I played a whole tune without one velocity needing editing - love it!), but can't get it to work in S 1 3. And I am at the point I'd like to use S1 as my one DAW. The recording of live played midi pianos without editing notes every time that play samples I don't want to hear at certain velocities. Different pianos all respond differently. I'm sorry if I made it confusing by asking about I/O. I ended up making another thread about that. The other thread about I/O is here: viewtopic.php?f=213&t=23089 I think I got all I can get out of S 1 regarding I/O without changes in implementation.

I still don't have NMapper working.

by Funkybot on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:47 pm
Ok...so you're using it to compensate for the velocity on your keyboard. Good news! You probably don't need it.

Ravenscroft and many other high-end libraries, already have built in velocity adjustment tools. Here you can see me set a minimum velocity, a max velocity, and adjust the velocity curve all from within the Ravenscroft UI. You'd be much better off doing it this way and saving it as a preset.

Click on the below image to see a an animated gif showing you how this stuff works.

Attachments
Ravenscroft Velocity Adjustment.gif

by Funkybot on Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:08 pm
And to add...

I just downloaded and loaded Notemapper, mapped it to Ravenscroft using the exact same procedure outlined above, and it works just fine. Looking at your screen print, you're filtering out notes 0-20 and notes above 108. The "Range" at the top of the Notemapper GUI isn't the velocity range, that's the note range (each number represents a MIDI note). So when you have 21-108, those are the only notes that will play. Any note above or below that will be filtered out.

So the procedures is simple and takes seconds

1. Click and drag Notemapper from the Browser into a new Instrument Track (track 1)
2. Click and drag Ravenscroft (UVI Workstation) from the Browser into a new Instrument Track (track 2)
3. Make sure the MIDI input on track 1 is set to All Inputs and output is set to Notemapper
4. Make sure the MIDI input on track 2 is set to Notemapper, and output is set to UVI Workstation
5. Turn on Input Monitoring on both tracks (blue button)
6. Click on track 1 to make it the active track

Result: Notemapper is receiving your MIDI input and sending it to UVI Workstation. To test this further:

7. Play a C3 repeatedly a medium velocity
8. Go to Notemapper and find this note (row 60)
9. In Notemapper increase and decrease the "1-Scale" value (this will increase or decrease the velocity)
10. In Notemapper change the "1-Note" value to 62-D3

Result: You'll hear the velocity scale up and down at step 9 and you'll hear your C3 note magically become a D3 at step 10. This means Notemapper works fine.

Disclaimer: Notemapper is completely unnecessary and velocity can and should be adjusted entirely within the Ravenscroft UI.

by johnshepherd on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:21 pm
Thanks Funkybot. I filter out the notes above and below the 88 key range. They never get played, thus my reason as well as less notes to look at or choose wrongly. I'll agree to disagree about it's necessity. I've never played the Ravenscroft once where velocity hits upper sample velocities on certain notes that not only I don't want to hear because they don't fit right near the adjacent notes, but because I don't want to sift through a mess of midi events to find them. Nor do I want to edit down notes that I can fix on the way in. It is working, and I thank you. I have no idea why it didn't in a previous song that is set up the same way. It is now, though. I'm saving it as a template for future use. Again, my thanks for your help.

by Funkybot on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:27 pm
johnshepherd wroteThanks Funkybot. I filter out the notes above and below the 88 key range. They never get played, thus my reason as well as less notes to look at or choose wrongly. I'll agree to disagree about it's necessity. I've never played the Ravenscroft once where velocity hits upper sample velocities on certain notes that not only I don't want to hear because they don't fit right near the adjacent notes, but because I don't want to sift through a mess of midi events to find them. Nor do I want to edit down notes that I can fix on the way in. It is working, and I thank you. I have no idea why it didn't in a previous song that is set up the same way. It is now, though. I'm saving it as a template for future use. Again, my thanks for your help.

Hey, if it works, it works (we all have our workflows and preferences). Glad it's working now though!

by torbjrnbergman on Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:47 am
I can't get Notemapper to work at all ni S1 4.5.1 !

I want to use it with Superior Drummer 3 / Atom so I can remap the keys to my liking !

Am I the only one who cant get this to work ?

10 posts
Page 1 of 1