8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Happy holidays, everyone!

How would you guys go about it if you wanted to create a feedback loop for audio internally in Studio One?

I want to put other FX inside the delay's feedback loop to make the other FX add more and more of their character for each repeat.

Studio One prevents internal routing like this by removing the destinations from the options when the result would've been a feedback loop.

Neither Blue Cat Patchwork nor DDMF Metaplugin allow feedback. And Plogue Bidule is quite expensive and seems rather unintuitive. I'd rather not use Pipeline either, if there is a different option.

How would you go about to solve this? Thanks!
by j0001s on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:32 pm
I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I've wanted to create some ping pong effects with feedback before, and just now, I'm trying to do a shimmer reverb.

The only way I can see getting around it is to actually send the output from my interface back to an input of the interface. I can't see any way of how to do this within S1.

This was one limitation I was hoping to leave behind when I switched from Cubase. I do understand the reason that it's not allowed, but it is allowed within ProTools, and is often used to create certain effect chains.

One suggestion - Create a new splitter element for the extended effects chain that allows for feedback, with independent feedback and pan controls for left/right channels. If feedback behavior was constrained to a single block, then it would be possible to detect runaway feedback (feedback loop gain >1) and shut it down.
by Skaperverket on Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:02 pm
Yeah, I never got a reply to this.

A way to achieve this would have been great. A way to route anything anywhere would have been even better. It could have been an option (with a warning, even) under advanced options that was disabled by default if one is afraid that people might have accidents (which is understandable).

I have made some setups for this in the internal routing of my audio interface. This along with a utility buss and two instances of Pipeline helps me achieve the feedback loop. Different sample rates and buffer settings require different latency trimming in Pipeline, so I have made presets for that as well. Very impractical, but the results are worth it.

Appreciate that you replied to this thread, j0001s. Shows that you have searched for the info instead of creating a new thread.
by marcalbrecht on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:09 am
Moin,

question: If this is something that people frequently use/need - wouldn't it make sense to write a VST that consists of two components, a sender and a receiver? So that you would add the sender component to the channel you want to get the audio from and the receiver component to either a different (FX) channel or *earlier* in the pipeline? You would still have a minimum offset, depending on how your VST pipe is set up, but I guess that would be the "easy solution" for a feedback loop if the DAW does not allow those to happen in place.

Marc

I'm out. Might have been nice - but some things are not meant to be.
---
using about a dozen different computer systems plus more at client-sites. StudioOne currently used on: Surface2pro (4/128), Troll (i7-6700k/64GB/GTX970/all SSD) and Noise (i7-4770/64GB/GTX970/all SSD), all Win10pro/64 -- IO: NI Komplete Audio 6, Toy-Console: icon Platform m, Keys, Guitars, Bass, dogs, horses and wife uncredited.
by Skaperverket on Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:41 am
Yes, Marc, you're right. Great idea! We have actually talked about such a possible plugin device before on this forum when talking about possible ways to accomplish a pre-fx send or even inbetween-fx send. If this could also be accompanied by a receive device (instead of just the normal routing) that could be put anywhere, also earlier in the chain prior to where the send device sent from, like you suggest, this would indeed be very flexible. Could be a feature only found in the Professional version if that makes most sense.

I know this is kind of technical and probably a esoteric thing, but if these plugin send devices also had a volume fader, dual pan pots and some simple filters (or somehow was a container that could host other plugins), that would be even more helpful/powerful for mixers and sounddesigners.

The pre-insert FR is here: http://answers.presonus.com/11315/pre-insert-send-fx
I made a comment below it regarding the possible send device. Perhaps you can add a comment about the possible receive device as well? With the possibility of creating feedback loops as well!
by marcalbrecht on Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:25 am
I "upvoted" the FR and added a - probably slightly convoluted - comment.

Since I wanted to get into VST programming anyway, maybe I'll just give this idea a go as a first project. The major drawback I see is that you'd introduce a delay/offset of "VST buffer size" if you go that road instead of having an internal "copy" tunnel. I may have to look into the available alternative plugin techs in S1 - e.g. what Melodyne is using - since those might be better suited for a delay-free feedback.

Marc

I'm out. Might have been nice - but some things are not meant to be.
---
using about a dozen different computer systems plus more at client-sites. StudioOne currently used on: Surface2pro (4/128), Troll (i7-6700k/64GB/GTX970/all SSD) and Noise (i7-4770/64GB/GTX970/all SSD), all Win10pro/64 -- IO: NI Komplete Audio 6, Toy-Console: icon Platform m, Keys, Guitars, Bass, dogs, horses and wife uncredited.
by jaytee on Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:29 am
Hi,

So.. does anyone have a solution for internal feedback and free routing via fx chain?

Recently I've found this free VST
https://www.112db.com/download/tools/samplink/
Seems to be 32/64 bit and Mac/PC as well

Do not have time to test.
by Tacman7 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:39 am
My audio interface has a loopback input like the old sound blaster cards had an input called 'whatUhear'.

Great for recording youtube or other things etc.

I use it as a render for vocals to do harmony tracks.

But if I hit the monitor button I will get a hell of a feedback, don't think you'd want that though.

I get feed back if I don't turn off my monitors when tracking, you could probably do something like that.

My GP-10 does feedback right out of the box, it's not real feedback just sounds like a guitar getting feedback, close enough for me.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 5 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro5 Melodyne Studio
Studio Computer - Nectar Impact LX25+
Win10 i7 7700k 16gb ram 1TB SSD AsusH270M-PLUS interface:StudioKonnekt 48
Kitchen Computer - Microkey Air
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Radeon RX 590 - 16GB DDR4 3000MHz - 512GB SSD interface: Motu M2

8 posts
Page 1 of 1