11 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I'm treating myself to a birthday present of the IK Multimedia ARC 2 unless someone chimes in and says its no good and no good with S1.

I have read many threads elsewhere where it is very popular. I know of two songwriter/producers who use it and swear by it and I love their work.

So please let me know if you like it and are using it with S1 v3. I am on Windows 10 64.

My studio is in a box shaped room and I have two walls filled with sound absorbing foam. I use Equator D5 speakers so everything is close proximity.
I have good ears but my room is not as true as I would like and I can't build in bass traps, etc.

I think this is what I need. It is on sale now for $199 from a reg. price of $299.

TIA for any help.

Bbd

Update: I am now going for a powered sub woofer before I get the room tuning software. I need more low end first.
Last edited by Bbd on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by webhamster on Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:19 am
I own and love it. Was a bit sceptic before buying it, but it is a great tool.

It works fine with any daw I think, so no specific thoughts on S1. One slight disadvantage is that when using multiple speakers you need to switch curves.

I'm also using it with audio hijack on my laptop when listening to music.

S1 6.5.1 - MacOs 13.6.2 MacBook 14" M1 max - interface: Quantum 2
by Bbd on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:07 am
Thank you webhamster!.

I am also looking into the Sonarworks system. It is a little more expensive but seems like a very good choice.

Any comments on that one would also be appreciated.

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by klypeman on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:09 am
I'm using it and like the way it take off some of the boominess in my room, but had to put a little more of the lower frequencies back on, when all flat, but that's my taste.
Liked the EQ adjustment in ARC 2 and got it just like I wanted.
Rick Narvi has a video about measuring/caliberating your speakers on the videos in here, I used that to get my speakers calibrated first.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-Core 3.90 GHz Windows 10 64bit Home, MacBook Pro + Mini Big Sur, SO 5.5 Pro, SO 6.1.1 Pro, LUNA, Cubase 10.5 Pro, SLIII32, 24.4.2, 16.0.2 FW, Quantum 2626, Faderport 8, FaderPort 16, Atom, Atom SQ, Console 1+Fader 1, UA Apollo Twin TB/USB, Toontrack, NI Komplete 12, ++
by Bbd on Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:16 am
Thanks klyepman for your input.

Bbd

by frank.crow on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:24 pm
Bbd wroteSo I'm treating myself to a birthday present of the IK Multimedia ARC 2 unless someone chimes in and says its no good and no good with S1.

I have read many threads elsewhere where it is very popular. I know of two songwriter/producers who use it and swear by it and I love their work.

So please let me know if you like it and are using it with S1 v3. I am on Windows 10 64.

My studio is in a box shaped room and I have two walls filled with sound absorbing foam. I use Equator D5 speakers so everything is close proximity.
I have good ears but my room is not as true as I would like and I can't build in bass traps, etc.

I think this is what I need. It is on sale now for $199 from a reg. price of $299.

TIA for any help.

Bbd

I've used it for a couple of years now if memory serves. I love it. I'm actually in a corner with moderate acoustic treatment and from DAW to Export isn't the nightmare you'd expect. The set up is a real pain because it requires like 16 (ish) precise mic measurements (a couple of hours each time and you have to do it again if you move any large items in or out of the room) but in the end I think it's so worth it. I'm also running the V2 Monitor Station so that might be adding a bit to the setup. I'd look up realrecording.com. That gentleman has a super thorough setup tutorial.
I guess one could cut corners but I really believe if you want the full benefit of this product than put in the work.
I have the Sonarworks headphone plugin for my KNS 8400 headphones and it's pretty great (great customer service too) and I have toyed with the idea of trying they're room correction software but hey if it's not broken then don't fix it.
I own most of the IK Multimedia Products and that $199 has been pretty standard for quite a while. I actually paid $299 when I bought it and have no regrets. I saw the sale advertisement this morning for $100 off so I thought "man, they're selling it for $100." But nope it's still $199.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Processor: 3.0 GHz Intel Core I7
Memory: 16 GB
Presonus. Studio One Pro V6
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by Bbd on Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:53 pm
Hi Frank, thanks for the reply.
I am glad to hear about your success with ARC.

Now, I am leaning toward getting a powered bass speaker before I get ARC or Sonarworks.
The reason being that I do need more low end using my Equator D5's.
I am now looking at:
Rockville APM10C 10"

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-APM10B ... B01ESV9QLU

I know that it is not high end at all but it will most likely add more low end frequency that will at least fill out what I am hearing w/o it.

I have used at times a PC sub speaker I have hooked up to my Nano Patch.

Once I get this extra bass, then the room tuning software should make more sense.

Please feel free to voice your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Bbd

Bbd

by frank.crow on Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:58 pm
Bbd wroteHi Frank, thanks for the reply.
I am glad to hear about your success with ARC.

Now, I am leaning toward getting a powered bass speaker before I get ARC or Sonarworks.
The reason being that I do need more low end using my Equator D5's.
I am now looking at:
Rockville APM10C 10"

https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-APM10B ... B01ESV9QLU

I know that it is not high end at all but it will most likely add more low end frequency that will at least fill out what I am hearing w/o it.

I have used at times a PC sub speaker I have hooked up to my Nano Patch.

Once I get this extra bass, then the room tuning software should make more sense.

Please feel free to voice your opinions on this.

Thanks.

Bbd

I actually use KRK satellites as well as the matching subwoofer. As I mentioned before I'm actually in a corner but I can't really complain about the bass buildup that one would expect from that configuration. Truthfully sometimes I check to see if the subwoofer is even working. My speakers are all carefully calibrated to K20 using test tones and an SPL meter before I even bring the ARC into the equation. Maybe this speaks to the sensitivity and accuracy of the ARC, I don't really know.
P.S
Have you thought of buying your subwoofer used? Or even looking into Behringer products? My first KRK was used and my current Bass Amp is a Behringer (yup I've heard some of their stuff is hit & miss) but it's proven to be a powerful beast with a nice warm tone and I'm a reasonably seasoned musician so I'd like to think I've got a pretty good point of reference. Anyway good luck with whatever decision you make.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)
Softube. Console 1 MK3 (pending)
Presonus. Faderport 8 (dual)

"God's grace" :D
by dr4kan on Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:33 am
If you need more low end just for fun then you can basically get whatever sub you find in your price range. Instead, if you need more low end for mixing or mastering then simply don't go for a sub. You'll put yourself in trouble with phase issues, etc... I would instead save for new monitors with 7'' or 8'' cones. My 2 cents.

Guitarist and composer:
----------------------------------------------------
https://itunes.apple.com/it/artist/davi ... d968493291

My system:
----------------------------------------------------
MacBook Pro i7, 16 GB ram
Presonus Sphere
by Bbd on Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:20 am
Thanks for the suggestion.

I committed to Sonarworks as well as the sub-woofer.
Just downloaded the Sonarworks software for headphone calibration and they have a preset for my ATH-M50's which flattens out their curve quick a lot. I will test on a current mix.

The subwoofer has a pedal hookup to disengage it and the HPF from the change in order to A/B it. Presonus has the same option on their Temblor T10. This is a great option to have when mixing.

I will be interesting to hear the subwoofer once it is installed. Overall, I am happy with these purchases.

:)

Bbd

by frank.crow on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 am
I have switched Sonarworks to. Superior product and so much easier to use. My subwoofer is now disabled as I believe my software (both ARC & Sonarworks) was canceling it out anyway.

Mac Mini (Late 2014)
Presonus Quantum
Hardware DBX 160a
Hardware DBX 160XT
GA. LA2A (clone)
GA. LA3A (clone)
WA76 1176 (clone)
WA EQP Pultec (clone)
WA 73 Neve (clone)