24 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
but I would doubt that many of them give the whole project file with all their settings to their clients.

They don't. :) There was a recent poll of full time engineers (mostly in Nashville) on a private board I belong to, and none of them (who participated) do it... unless they get paid extra. Mostly because they charge premium rates and they despise the idea of someone tweaking a mix they did and taking credit.

That's why I made the distinction between simple project files and the project file of the final mix. Two entirely different things.
by xzb6np on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:47 am
CPhoenix wroteNeed to establish this in the beginning going forward, however I'm sure you're well aware of that now.

Lastly... your problem isn't this one band. Your problem is that you don't have many other clients. If you had more clients, you wouldn't be worrying about the actions of this one band. It wouldn't really matter, b/c you'd put your time elsewhere.

So... don't take it out on them. Take it out on yourself and focus on the real problem, which is needing more business.

Again... having more clients would make this a non-issue.

In regards to your comments thank you for assuming I have no other clients. In fact I have others including one recording right now. The only reason this came up was because the leader of the band was a friend. I would not give the project and song files to anyone else but felt trapped in this circumstance. Maybe I should have just went all business on him like he apparently did with me and said no and only gave him the raw files.
by xzb6np on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:51 am
Moral of the story. Don't work cheap for friends and hold to your standard policies in all cases!
by StephenSounder on Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:13 pm
xzb6np wroteMoral of the story. Don't work cheap for friends and hold to your standard policies in all cases!

So true this! One of the policy's of sales is to be friendly but don't be friends. Friends always want it cheap or for nothing. If you make all your customers friends you would go out of business.
To this I would add: For friends either charge them double or charge them nothing at all.

Intel I7 2.8GHz 8Gigs Ram, 1Terra HD, 2Terra SSD Windows 10
AudioBox 1818VSL w/ Studio One 3.2 Pro
Arturia KEYLAB49 + Analog Lab
Spectrasonics Omnisphere 2
Outputsounds REV, Signal, Exhale
Yamaha Oak Customs
Zildjian Cymbals

My next door neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 in the morning. 2:30! Good thing I was up practicing my drums.

24 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2