32 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2
roland1 wroteI read a comment the other day from someone who said that most of the DAWs out there today look like toys. I agree. Only a few exceptions, like Digital Performer, etc.

And yet Digital Performer allows full customisation of colour palette and Themes - so you can design the complete look and feel of the GUI (allowing you to use your own png images). They give you freedom of choice.

Please note that I may express opinions that are different from yours but I do not intend to cause offence.
iMac 27" 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5, 32 GB Ram, Monterey 12.7, 64 bit, Studio One 6.5 Professional (always the latest) , Reason 11, Melodyne 5 Studio, Digital Performer 11.2, Korg Legacy Wavestation and M1, Arturia minimoog V, Helix Native 3.71, Bias FX 2 Elite, Superior Drummer 3, EZkeys, EZbass, Nektar Panorama T4, Motu M4, Faderport 2018, Gibson Les Paul Standard, James Tyler Variax JTV-59 and other gear.
by Blades on Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:55 am
Cakewalk has a full theme editor as well thatets you edit all the way down to the pngs. It is not for the non-committed though. There are a number of users themes, thiugh most are just color mods, not graphic redraws.

Personally, I would like to see more customization in studio one, but it isn't a huge draw for me. I like the look of it not trying to be a 3d, too busy, console on screen. That is pretty but hard to look at after a while.

That said, I think presonus is actually paying attention based on the new looks if sample one and impact, which were pretty updated in the looks department without going overboard. Now if they did concentrate on the main gui like that. But hopefully not wreck it at the same time. The simplicity is welcome here.

Drummer and Singer mostly with some limited Guitar/Bass/Keys and a love for tech.
My personal website, with some useful videos and other music related things: https://blades.technology

Using:
Self-built i7 8700k/16gb/all SSD, S1 4 Pro, +Sonar Platinum/Cakewalk by Bandlab, PreSonus Studio 18|24 USB, Faderport 8, Tranzport, Edirol PCR-800, Pearl Mimic Pro and Roland V-Drums kit & Console 1 with SSL4000e + British Class A..
by leosutherland on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 am
First up, what do you call the vertical units in the console - I know that the horizontal ones in the main screen are Tracks (duh :roll: ), but I can't for the life of me recall what the console 'tracks' are called.

Yup, fading lights ;)

Anyhoo, FTTB I'll call them Lanes (shrug)

I have a Track that has Impact on it, and it has added 5/6 Lanes to the console. Now I coloured this Track a horrible orange, and the leftmost Lane gets coloured the same horrible orange - but the remaining Lanes for Impact remain an uninteresting grey.

Q1: What is the correct name for the Console Lanes?

Q2: How I get all these Lanes the same colour as the Track?

Q3: I've then sent all these Lanes output to a Bus, which is a different but equally uninteresting grey - how I get the Bus Lane to be the same horrible orange?

Just so's I can see instantly my drums wherever they are, such as they are. It's not really important and it's not stopping my workflow (except to write this, lol), it's just that it is really bugging the bejesus out of me :(

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by Bbd on Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 am
Channels

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by leosutherland on Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:13 am
Bbd wroteChannels

There, you see, getting old - Channels :roll: . Ta very much :thumbup:

...said Halo

Studio One Pro v4.6.2 / v5.5.2 / v6.5.2
Serum, Diva, Repro, Synthmaster, Syntronik Bully, MTron Pro, Kontakt 6/7, AIR synths, Cherry Audio synths, Battery 4, PPG Wave 3.V, Generate

3XS SQ170 Music Studio PC
Windows 10 x64 (22H2)
i7 8700 Hexcore 3.2GHz, 16GB, 2TB 970 EVO+ M.2 NVMe SSD + 1TB SATA HD
Scarlett 2i4 (G2), Korg Taktile 25, Faderport 2018, ATOM

Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros, JBL 305P II speakers
by roland1 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:03 am
I encounter this problem all the time. I don't attribute it to age but to the differences in naming conventions between one DAW and another. Just trying to explain something simple burns up so many calories trying to remember the right term for everything in a particular context.

But channels is a good name. I think I may use it for all my DAWs — and televisions. :)

[Just kidding. I don't watch television anymore.]

leosutherland wrote
Bbd wroteChannels

There, you see, getting old - Channels :roll: . Ta very much :thumbup:

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by sirmonkey on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:15 pm
roland1 wrote..Otherwise just a prole who cannot understand how the colour palette is in the "order" it is - seemingly random:

C'mon...it's totally obvious why they ordered the colors this way.
Don't you see the logic? It's super obvious!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by sirmonkey on Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:29 pm
Let me explain. In the illustration below, first reference the group of color
boxes circled in red.
Crazy colors.JPG

With those in mind, compare them to the boxes labelled
"A", "B", and "C". Don't forget to notice the box circled in green, though.
If things aren't clear, also reference the box labelled "14".
Now the reason for the order of the colors should be much more intuitive!

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by roland1 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:50 pm
sirmonkey wrote
roland1 wrote..Otherwise just a prole who cannot understand how the colour palette is in the "order" it is - seemingly random:

C'mon...it's totally obvious why they ordered the colors this way.
Don't you see the logic? It's super obvious!

Where did you get that gibberish quote attributed to me? I didn't make it in this thread and if I made it in another thread, then I would have had to be in some kind of medical distress to write that way. A stroke, perhaps.. :D

Studio One Pro (v5) on i7 7700 win10 PC w16GB RAM and a Mac Pro Tower (w/RME & Focusrite interfaces.)

I use S1 as an author/musician/multi-media artist.
My work includes the newly released: Clearing a Path to Joy (And finding contentment along the way) [AuroraSkyPublishing.com]
and my upcoming music video, Too Big To Fail, which introduces Citizen Based Social Planning — "the next step in the evolution of democracy." You know...typical everyday stuff. :)
by sirmonkey on Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:42 pm
Ooops...I tried to take part of a quote within a quote, and messed it up. :oops:
I had to take a break from a song that I can't get to sound how
I want, so I took a few minutes to goof off. :twisted:
So, no stroke involved. Just me being demented!

by ionian on Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:13 am
I had demoed reaper once - hated everything single thing about that DAW except one thing -
Someone had coded an add on that automatically colored the tracks based on keywords.

Honestly I could care less about track folders - I never bother to hide tracks, but colors, even if people think it makes a daw look like candyland - has been phenomenal for me in keeping track of where everything is and getting around a piece. I use both Sonar and S1 and using colors in both has been a huge timesaver when getting around the score or arranging things or trying to find something.

Anyway, that add on was awesome. You'd pick a color and then put keywords in a list based on order of priority and then as you added a track, or even opened a song that wasn't color coded, it automatically colored the tracks for you. Very nice time saver. It was the coolest thing to add a track and just write "piano" or "hammond" for the name and have the track automatically turn red.

That was a great feature. The rest of reaper, in my humble opinion, eh, not so good.

"For every man who has ever lived, in this Universe there shines a star."
- Arthur C. Clarke
by Lawrence on Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:21 am
That feature has been in Cubase for years natively, coloring tracks based on specific names. It's relatively easy to do with a script in Studio One and I have a "Conform Colors" script laying around somewhere that does that.

It just parses track names and if a name contains A, color it X, Y, or Z. Hit a hot key to conform colors to whatever defaults you set up. It gets a bit more complex the farther you go with it like how to know when "bass" in Contrabass is not electric bass or upright bass, so the conditions and track naming at some point have to be very specific. The only real issue is there's no UI color picker, you have to set the default colors manually in an xml file.

Anyway, to have it happen automatically would require a function that fires whenever a track name changes.

Here it is in Cubase with the Logical Editor and even though this video doesn't show it, the colors there can have specific musical names:

phpBB [video]

So you'd set that up any way you want, put it in a macro and bind it to a hot key.

There's nothing anywhere quite like the Cubase Logical Editors, they're arguably in a league all their own. Whoever came up with that decades ago, it was a truly brilliant idea, putting that kind of conditional logic in the hands of end users and wrapping it into an error proof interface. It's unlimited, how many combinations of things you can accomplish in a single logical editor script.

32 postsPage 2 of 2
1, 2