19 posts
Page 1 of 1
I did a search on this and couldn't find answers. This seems Like it would be a common scenario. I have quite a few VSTs and AUs that I have demo'ed over time and for various reasons decided I don't like or need them. They clutter my plugin list. How can I uninstall/remove them?

2015 iMac 27" i7 with 32GB RAM
Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by willowhaus on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:46 am
They will either be in /Library/Audio/Plugins/ or under your home directory in /Users/<yourname>/Library/Audio/Plugins/.

In Finder, select Go -> Go To Folder... and enter in the locations (these are separate, do it for each one):

/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins

In each location, VST plugins are in the VST folder and AU plugins are in the Components folder. All you should have to do is delete them.

***Edited to correct the path, it should be Plug-Ins, not Plugins.
Last edited by willowhaus on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

An slightly-less old iMac running OS X 10.9.5; Studio One Pro; a bunch of plugins; various other DAWs and editing programs; several mics; miscellaneous wires, with and without plugs; a box of adapters; no-tip coffee cup; indoor plumbing.
by guitarism on Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:19 pm
It seems that there are several plugins that don't use those default locations. E.g.,
Equality
FF Pro-L
Cosmos
Magnetic II
ML4000 ML1
ML4000 ML4
Guitar Rig 5 FX
Guitar Rig 5 MFX
Transient Master
Reaktor 5 FX

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by willowhaus on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:34 am
There may also be a VST3 folder to check in those locations.

On a Mac, those are the standard locations for plugins. I checked the FAQ for Magnetic II, and it says that this is where the plugin lives. On my own machine, Guitar Rig 4 also lives there.

If any of those plugs have uninstallers, then try that. If the plugin somehow got put into a non-standard location then the installer should know where that was.

An slightly-less old iMac running OS X 10.9.5; Studio One Pro; a bunch of plugins; various other DAWs and editing programs; several mics; miscellaneous wires, with and without plugs; a box of adapters; no-tip coffee cup; indoor plumbing.
by guitarism on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:01 am
Thanks for the replies. One of the issues I had was actually being able to see the plugins. I'm using Mavericks now and by default it hides all system files which, for some reason, includes plugins. I was able to find those plugins and delete them. However, when I open up Studio One, they still appear in the list. If I try to use one of the deleted VSTs nothing happens so it appears that the problem is that the list is not properly refreshed. Is there a file I can edit manually to remove the unavailable plugins from the list?

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by jeannecollins on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:35 am
willowhaus wroteThere may also be a VST3 folder to check in those locations.

On a Mac, those are the standard locations for plugins. I checked the FAQ for Magnetic II, and it says that this is where the plugin lives. On my own machine, Guitar Rig 4 also lives there.

If any of those plugs have uninstallers, plr then try that. If the plugin somehow got put into a non-standard location then the installer should know where that was.

Thanks a lot willowhaus. That information helped me a lot. :)
Last edited by jeannecollins on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
by -Luis- on Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:23 am
guitarism wroteHowever, when I open up Studio One, they still appear in the list. If I try to use one of the deleted VSTs nothing happens so it appears that the problem is that the list is not properly refreshed. Is there a file I can edit manually to remove the unavailable plugins from the list?

Just do a rescan and all the plugins that you uninstalled will disappear after that.
Open Studio One and hit ( command , ) Locations>VST Plug-Ins
Screen Shot 2014-08-24 at 10.09.22 AM.png
by guitarism on Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 pm
Thanks musician2373. That worked. I had been trying with right-clicking on an item in the list and selecting refresh. It looked like it was rescanning at that point but apparently it wasn't.

So the 2 main points for Mavericks users wanting to remove plugins:
1. AUs and VSTs are not visible by default in Mavericks. You must do a Spotlight search, select "show all in finder". In the Finder window, click the "+" button near the top right. Then on the left, click on the "kind" drop down and select "system files" then change "aren't included" drop down to "are included". You have to do separate searches for VST and AU because when you browse away from the search results in the finder window, OSX goes back to hiding system files. (Why this way of handling system files (and handling VSTs and AUs as system files) was introduced in Mavericks is a mystery to me).

2. After removing the files, go to Preferences/Locations, check the "scan at startup" item, then close and reopen Studio One.

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by willowhaus on Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:15 am
Glad you got it sorted, I thought maybe a rescan would be in order too but I wasn't sure how to do it off the top of my head (I have my system set up to rescan at startup).

About step 1, though: if you follow my directions using "Go -> Go To Folder..." you won't need all that Spotlight stuff. Go into the main plugins folder; click into each one, manage your files, then click the Back arrow in the Finder window to go back to the main.

OS X started hiding your user Library folder back in 10.7. (Another way to get to it is to click the Go menu & then push the Alt key. Your Library folder will appear on the list.). The main System and Library folders aren't hidden, though. You might have to make an adjustment to Finder's settings to get there easily (Finder Preferences -> Show these items on desktop: Hard disks is turned off by default, click the box next to it) but they are still accessible.

by guitarism on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:38 pm
The problem was never accessing the library folders. I was aware of using "go to" with the alt key (to reveal the library folder). The issue with Mavericks is that the Components and VST folders were displayed as having no content even though they did. This is Mavericks-specific. They are treated as hidden system files and not displayed.

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by guitarism on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:39 pm
I just figured out why willowhous' method didn't work for me. The suggested path was
/Library/Audio/Plugins ... it needed to be /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins. I like that method since it takes fewer steps than using spotlight and defining what's viewable.

Thanks

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by -Luis- on Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:42 pm
Sorry guys but you both are making this a lot more complicated than it actually is.
Just double click your Mac HD icon >Library>Audio>Plug-Ins.
by willowhaus on Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:58 am
guitarism wroteThe problem was never accessing the library folders. I was aware of using "go to" with the alt key (to reveal the library folder). The issue with Mavericks is that the Components and VST folders were displayed as having no content even though they did. This is Mavericks-specific. They are treated as hidden system files and not displayed.

That's odd, I can see everything in the folder just fine. Is your machine a clean install? The one I'm on is an upgrade, it's possible that things are different because of that.
Last edited by willowhaus on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

by willowhaus on Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:06 am
musician2373 wroteSorry guys but you both are making this a lot more complicated than it actually is.
Just double click your Mac HD icon >Library>Audio>Plug-Ins.

If you read my post again, I did say that the Library folder was accessible - however, by default OS X doesn't show your hard drive on the Desktop. Double-clicking works fine if you happen to have access to the icon, but if you don't then your directions wouldn't help. As I said in my post, you have to change the Finder Preferences first.

Also, you can't simply click through to your User Library folder by going through Mac HD -> Users -> whatever your name is -> Library, because it's still hidden & you won't see it.

The methods I gave, using Go -> Go To Folder... work every time, whether or not the folder is hidden from Finder. (My bad for omitting the - in Plug-ins.) So, given that I didn't know the state of the OP's machine & Finder prefs, the method I quoted was as straightforward as possible.

Sorry if you thought that cutting & pasting two lines into a dialog window was more complicated than all the double-clicking.

by -Luis- on Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm
willowhaus wroteAlso, you can't simply click through to your User Library folder by going through Mac HD -> Users -> whatever your name is -> Library, because it's still hidden & you won't see it.
Sorry if you thought that cutting & pasting two lines into a dialog window was more complicated than all the double-clicking.

Agree to disagree, whatever works for you.
I'm here just to help.

Cheers.
by guitarism on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:00 am
I think the problem here may be some bugginess and/or inconsistencies in OSX so what we, as users, are seeing is not consistent. I had originally run into the problem because simply going to the directories via Library>Audio>Plug-Ins, as suggested by musician2373 didn't work - the Components and VST folders appeared to be empty. When I did searches making the system files visible I could see those files and delete them. Now when I browse via HD, I can see the Library and ~Library folder without resorting to the Goto with Alt key held down.

The good news is, we've learned some new workarounds if our preferred method of browsing to and viewing the plug-in files doesn't work as expected.

A better solution would be for Studio one to support removing plug-ins via the UI. This would make a good feature request.

Thanks again for the help. :)

Sound Devices USBPre 2
Mac OS Monterey
Presonus Studio One 6
iPad Air
by Kiwicomposer on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:03 am
On a MAC there are two /Library/Audio/Plug-ins folders.

One is the system related ones
The other is the one in each users private area.

When you install plug-ins they often ask "do you want them available to all users this machine or just yourself".

If you say all users it will place the plug-ins in the system related area
i.e. <Local Hard Drives>/Library/Audio/Plug-ins
In Mavericks the system related folder is visible straight from the finder (Often Called "MacIntosh HD").
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 8.54.21 pm.png

If you say "just me" then it will place it in the <username>/Library/Audio/Plug-ins
In Mavericks the user related Library folder is hidden.. Best way to find it is Open Finder and hold "Alt" down while choosing the Go menu.
Screen Shot 2014-08-27 at 8.53.55 pm.png

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x
iMac's & MacBookAir all running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by ianwilliamson1 on Wed May 01, 2024 12:21 am
If you just want to remove the plugin from your plugin list. Go to the spanner at the top right of the browse window.

Then select the plugins you want to see and unselect the ones you don't want to see.

This will not remove the plugin completely. Follow the instructions given in other posts to do that.

It will just remove them from your plugin list in the browse window
by AAV on Wed May 01, 2024 7:17 am
Old thread alert

Studio One 6.6 Pro, Audient ID4 mark II,
Gigabyte Designair Z390, 32GB DDR4 3200, Intel i9-9900K 4.8 GHZ, 2 TB & 1 TB SSD, 3 x 1TB 7200 rpm HDD, Windows 11 Pro 64 23H2

19 posts
Page 1 of 1