50 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3
Jemusic wroteYou could try a single USB to MIDI IN/OUT converter and see how that works out. It might be very stable.

Can you or anyone else recommend a good one?

Yeah, the Jupiter really does sound great and I love the keybed ... but as I might have discussed previously it has its own idiosyncracies (just 3 MIDI channels, not near enough memory, no support from Roland, etc). I will keep it around as a controller; it is extremely stable w/S1 when running virtual instruments.

p.s. time flies -- your Unitor is now 30 years old! That might not be "going back in time" to you, but ... :D
Last edited by MisterE on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Jemusic on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:06 pm
30 years but still going strong. It just won’t stop! You made me laugh. That is the same amount time I have been married to my wife too!

Something like this:

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

Maybe you should move away from Roland drivers with the M Audio but the Roland version is here:

http://www.roland.com/products/en/UM-ONE/

I think they will both do the job pretty well. You will find they are both very affordable and they are handy to have around too.

I would not be using the Jupiter too much multi timbrally anyway. You can get it doing all important parts one at a time and build up some pretty big sounds that way. Keep and mute the midi parts so you can go back at anytime to redo stuff etc..Most hardware synths sound the best doing one sound only. They can focus all their energy on that one task.

I also agree about keybeds too. Both my Kawai K5000 and JD800 play real nice too. The Kawai especially has slightly longer keys and probably lead weights too for a nicer feel. Some vary with the spring arrangement to return the key too.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by MisterE on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:56 pm
Speaking of drivers, you may want to tell the folks when the Unitor driver was written and what OS it was written for. Unless I'm mistaken, that driver for the long discontinued Unitor is at least 15 years old. Is it a Windows 2000 driver? If you put a gun to my head, that would be my best guess.

AMD Ryzen 5600X CPU | Gigabyte B550 Vision D-P mobo | WD Black 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVME SSD | Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600 mhz RAM | MSI Geforce 3060 Ti Gaming X | Win10 64-bit | S1 v6.0.2 | Mackie Onyx Blackbird interface | Korg M3 | Arturia Keylab 49 mkII
by Jemusic on Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:33 pm
MisterE wroteSpeaking of drivers, you may want to tell the folks when the Unitor driver was written and what OS it was written for. Unless I'm mistaken, that driver for the long discontinued Unitor is at least 15 years old. Is it a Windows 2000 driver? If you put a gun to my head, that would be my best guess.

Ah yes but the fact is that they started off on Win 98 and are still working brilliantly in Win XP. I am only on XP on this machine but very happy none the less. It probably would work under Win 7 as well. It must have been a well written driver to survive so many operating systems and still function fully and normally and tight/fast too. Studio One loves it and it is like it is talking to it totally independently of everything else.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jalcide on Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:32 am
I'm having this exact problem in v3.

The only way I seem to be able to correct it, is by manually setting a negative delay on the MIDI track that sends the on-grid notes and MIDI clock to my Korg RADIAS.

Are some saying that Ableton Live is somehow smart enough to compensate for this? If so, I have renewed interest.

There does not seem to be a way to do is elegantly in most DAWs, Studio One, included.

If I'm wrong about this, I'd love to hear suggestions!

Also, if there is no way, then we really need more than a 100ms range for the track delay param.
by Innerpillars on Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:18 am
Working with synths is not the main problem as note's transmittion could be adjusted by "delay" on the track. But except notes there is a Sync Delay signal which syncs LFO and ARP. It cannot be adjusted.

But the main problem is a drum unit. It generates beats using sync signal with delay that cannot be adjusted at all. I do not know how to work with drum unit in sync with main tempo grid.
by Innerpillars on Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:06 am
80% of answers are about some other problems that I do not experience. I'm talking about exact limitation. There is a lack of tuning midi sync delay.

Once again:

I have a working project with drums fitted to tempo grid. I have external drum machine which receives nothing but midi clock(directly from my Motu AI). I need to play my song and hear my external drum machine synched to the mix!!!!!!! But audio from drum machine will always have a delay of AD which cannot be compensated....anyway, anyhow... with all your USB->MIDI it will be the SAME!!!!!!
by redpeakaudio on Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:25 am
I would like to know how to compensate this delay too... I run Access Virus A via Midi cables and audio cables.

I alway have to cut the waveform after recording it so it fits the time grid.

Strange thing is that if I set HIGHEST latency my ASIO on my Focusrite allows, the recording is perfectly synced to the time grid.
If anyone needs proof, I can deliver as I can easily reproduce the behavior. (This is in 2.6.5 btw...)

Studio https://redpeakaudio.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (Kaby Lake)
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15
MoBo: Gigabyte B250-HD3P
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5
DAW: StudioOne 4.6.0
Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
by Beauvais on Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:04 pm
I totally agree that this is a necessary feature. But for the time being a possible ugly workaround could be to monitor your drum machine through the interface hardware and not S1 (which I would guess you're doing anyway) and insert this on the master bus of S1 adjusted to your needs:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/sounddelay/

i9-9900k octa core hackintosh with 32GB of RAM, running Mojave with a RME RayDat.
Latest StudioOne Pro of course, but mostly Cubase these days (unfortunately).
by Innerpillars on Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:01 am
Beauvais wroteI totally agree that this is a necessary feature. But for the time being a possible ugly workaround could be to monitor your drum machine through the interface hardware and not S1 (which I would guess you're doing anyway) and insert this on the master bus of S1 adjusted to your needs:

http://www.voxengo.com/product/sounddelay/

Thanks! Interesting idea.
by hps909 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:05 am
jalcide wroteI'm having this exact problem in v3.

The only way I seem to be able to correct it, is by manually setting a negative delay on the MIDI track that sends the on-grid notes and MIDI clock to my Korg RADIAS.

Are some saying that Ableton Live is somehow smart enough to compensate for this? If so, I have renewed interest.

There does not seem to be a way to do is elegantly in most DAWs, Studio One, included.

If I'm wrong about this, I'd love to hear suggestions!

Also, if there is no way, then we really need more than a 100ms range for the track delay param.

cubase is the only one i know that does it.. and it does it very well actually rock solid midi timing ..

live does not and is flakey with it at best .. timing is all over the place and it changes all the time with midi clock and standard note input and playback .. don't get me started on recording ..

s1 seems more stable than live ( still testing) but still have to manually input delay times which is a massive pain in the arse
by redpeakaudio on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:08 am
Heh, seeing this makes me glad I got rid of Virus A and got TI.

Try looking at my past reply though.

Studio https://redpeakaudio.com

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 (Kaby Lake)
RAM: Kingston 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz CL15
MoBo: Gigabyte B250-HD3P
GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0, 8GB GDDR5
DAW: StudioOne 4.6.0
Interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14
by hps909 on Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:00 pm
i was googling the problem and didn't realise this post was so old till after i replied lol
i have a jx3p and a blofeld .. just writing midi parts there is a delay which is system latency obviously, but i cannot find a way to monitor without the delay let alone record untill my studio is rebuilt i'm using macbook inbuilt audio and the delay is really annoying.
i got it close but it still monitors and records out of time by 20 or 30 ms no matter what i try regarding audio buffer or midi record delay comp.. at least it is a world better than ableton live but still a world behind cubase .

it's strange that they neglect this side considering the surge in affordable analog keys and the rise of modular synths. when i first looked at studio one was v1.6 and i asked about it back then

cubase 9 will still be my midi platform until s1 implements it shame as this would be my only gripe about moving to s1 permanently
by tuzemec on Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:38 pm
Just passing by to express my disappointment that this is still not addressed.
Real shame.
Have to switch to Ableton Live if I want to jam with my external gear.

// Win10, RME 802, Faderport 1, AMD Ryzen 9 3950X, ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO, MSI 1070 Gaming X
// Catalina, RME Babyface Pro FS, MBP 15" 2019
by lfo2k on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:19 am
I will hang in right here. Also got plenty of external equipment, and trying to match it with the audio from s1 since 2 years now.

I would also wish that S1 would get some improvement in this direction. S1 is clearly more directed to users, who dont use external gear, and only use VST-synth stuff and FX.

S1 needs more options to ease the worklflow for us hardware users like "MIDI Delay".
Presonus should think about ways to get things easier for us.

Ari will hate me that i mention this again, but one simple example for this "No love for hardware users in S1" is Pipeline. It simply does not support the very basic mono-send / stereo-return.

I dont know what Presonus thought about letting this away.

There are plenty of details and options missing in S1, that we need to integrate and use our external equipment. People who experience those problems, are recognizing that S1 is lacking those things and options we need, and are looking to other DAW.

Wake up Presonus, its time to adress this!
by musicchamber on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 pm
This is long overdue Presonus. Surprise us with an elegant solution.

Also can we please have just ONE track for an external instrument track that also delivers it's audio onto the same track all with delay compensation!

Forget about Pipeline
Forget about setting up another audio track to receive the ext instruments audio.

Do it the Presonus way - keep it simple, make it rock solid and everyone will be blown away!

I can only wish, lets hope Presonus developers are listening.

Best
Scott

Studio One Professional v6, Apple iMac Pro 14 core, 128gb memory, 4TB SSD. macOS Ventura, Main audio interface is RME Babyface Pro. Presonus 192, DP88 (not currently used), RC500, ADL600, Focusrite ISA430, TC4000 reverb, SPL Phonitor, Monitoring: Event Opal, IK Multimedia MTM Studio Monitors x 5, DMAX audio Super Cubes. HD800s mastering reference headphones. Sequential Prophet 12, Prophet 12 modules x4, E-MU 4XT Ultra, Roland Fantom 8, Korg Pa3x, Roland Fp7-F, MOTU midi express 128, Xkey air 37, Studiolive CS18, Atari STE with Notator plus loads of microphones and plugins etc
by alanandersen on Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:44 pm
I have the exact same problem. I have about a 12ms roundtrip latency for all my external gear. The only solution I've found so far, is to add 12ms latency to all internal tracks (VST/Audio tracks) one by one. This quickly becomes a hassle though, and i really wish there was a better way.

Just to be clear on how i use my gear: I send midi/midi clock to an ext. device, then route the audio from that device back in to Studio One.

The other option I've found, is to use realtime monitoring on my external gear, but i often add VST fx on the audio input from my devices, so not a good solution. If anyone has a better solution that i have missed, please let me know.
by Nip on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:51 pm
alanandersen wroteI have the exact same problem. I have about a 12ms roundtrip latency for all my external gear. The only solution I've found so far, is to add 12ms latency to all internal tracks (VST/Audio tracks) one by one. This quickly becomes a hassle though, and i really wish there was a better way.

Just to be clear on how i use my gear: I send midi/midi clock to an ext. device, then route the audio from that device back in to Studio One.

The other option I've found, is to use realtime monitoring on my external gear, but i often add VST fx on the audio input from my devices, so not a good solution. If anyone has a better solution that i have missed, please let me know.

I use negative delay on the midi/instrument track, works fine for rendering and mixing too. So only one track need to be "fixed".

I calibrated this, not by roundtrip, but just by putting some quantized notes on a midi track - and record and see how much more delay is needed for it to line up.
a) first time you just observe how much later recorded audio is
b) next time insert that delay as negative on midi track and check that it works.
c) repeat for each external gear you have, they all have different response time

I have not used any tempodriven stuff with midi clock though, but principle should work since even if tempo varies in project a set delay in ms should stay the same for gear to respond.

*** Windows 7 Pro * i7-860 2.8 Ghz 16 GB ram * RME HDSP 9632+AI4S+Audient ASP 800 * GT730 ***
by alanandersen on Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:26 am
Nip wrote
alanandersen wroteI have the exact same problem. I have about a 12ms roundtrip latency for all my external gear. The only solution I've found so far, is to add 12ms latency to all internal tracks (VST/Audio tracks) one by one. This quickly becomes a hassle though, and i really wish there was a better way.

I use negative delay on the midi/instrument track, works fine for rendering and mixing too. So only one track need to be "fixed".

I calibrated this, not by roundtrip, but just by putting some quantized notes on a midi track - and record and see how much more delay is needed for it to line up.
a) first time you just observe how much later recorded audio is
b) next time insert that delay as negative on midi track and check that it works.
c) repeat for each external gear you have, they all have different response time

I have not used any tempodriven stuff with midi clock though, but principle should work since even if tempo varies in project a set delay in ms should stay the same for gear to respond.

Yeah, negative delay on midi notes works fine. It's the midi clock that lacks this feature, so all external gear with sequencers will be out of sync.
by jasonlillebo on Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:00 am
Come on Presonus. Fix this!!!!!
The more external gear I get, the more annoying this is. I record and then have to manually place the recording to fit. This really sucks hard when layering Native and hardware synths or drum machines.

I love Studio one, but if they don't fix this I will at some point move to ableton. It just kind of cripples workflow.

Where is the feature request for this?

50 postsPage 2 of 3
1, 2, 3