7 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi. A newbie here. I am trying to use automation to mute and un-mute a bass track. Unfortunately I am not having any luck. Can anyone tell me the proper steps to accomplish this? It is driving me nuts. Thanks so much in advance. Mark
by FinalSaga on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:11 pm
Hey Mark

First you do indeed open the automation track by clicking the V\ sign on the track
You should see Volume and Pan as the defaults there
Right-click on one of them and hit Add/remove and you should get a popup
On the right side choose 'Mute' and hit the <<Add inbetween the windows
Now you should have a lane called mute along with the Volume and Pan
The mute one is an on/off switch, meaning either 0% or 100%
Here you should be able to mute and unmute as you please pr automation
Remember to put your track automations to 'Read' to make them active

Ch33rs
Hope this helps
Saga

Studio One v2.x 3.x 4.x-

Windows 10 Ultimate 64Bit
AMD Ryzen (3.4Ghz) and 32gigs RAM
Graphic: Radeon 5700XT

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
:)
by niles on Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:42 am
What FinaSaga said. Alternatively you could use the control link screens at the top left ([A] for automation on track or hand tool to drag it to a random or dedicated track).

OS: Windows 11 Pro | HW: Gigabyte Z690-UD-DDR4 • INTEL i7 12700K • 64GB • 3x EVO 860 • NVIDIA GT1030 (@WQHD) • RME AIO
by brendanmee on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:49 pm
This isn't doing it for me. I'm a newbie also. All I am trying to do is start a track in the middle of a song, without automating a volume fader and without deletng part of the recorded track, I just want to mute part of the track, so that when I export it, that track is out for the beginning of the song and then kicks in for the second verse, What are the best videos, The presonus documentation and videos are hard to understand
by brendanmee on Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:53 pm
FinalSaga wroteHey Mark

First you do indeed open the automation track by clicking the V\ sign on the track
You should see Volume and Pan as the defaults there
Right-click on one of them and hit Add/remove and you should get a popup
On the right side choose 'Mute' and hit the <<Add inbetween the windows
Now you should have a lane called mute along with the Volume and Pan
The mute one is an on/off switch, meaning either 0% or 100%
Here you should be able to mute and unmute as you please pr automation
Remember to put your track automations to 'Read' to make them active

Ch33rs
Hope this helps
Saga

Please explain. I did all this. I am hitting mute during the playback, but it doesn't "stick".
by Steve Carter on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 am
Hi Brendan...

If you split/cut the track at the point in the song, where you want the track to start playing, to create two events, you can right click on the first event and select 'mute' from the drop down menu to, er, mute that event/part of the track. This should then prevent the first event from playing either in real time or appearing in any mix-down.
A small caveat here - 'mute' does not always appear as an option in the drop down menu when right clicking, you may need to go looking for it or use the menu header bar to find it but once used it tends to stick in the right click drop down subsequently.

Regards....

Windows 10 Pro/i7 6800k @3.4Ghz/16Gb ram. Studio One 6 Pro, Melodyne Editor, Vocalign Project 5, Superior Drummer 3, Izotope Music Production Suite 6, Komplete 13 and various other plugins. Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Faderport, Focal Alpha 50's, Korg Pa3x, Korg Pad Kontrol, numerous guitars, basses & other antiquated outboard gear.
Maybe one day I'll actually finish a project!
by matthewgorman on Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:37 pm
Right click the mute button on the track, and select edit mute automation. That will open an automation lane for edit, and you will see a line representing the mute button. Get to the part where you want the mute, and click in the line to place a node. Then to the right of that node, grab the line and pull it all the way down (or up, depending on where the line is when you start). Then go to the point where you want the mute off, and place a node in the same way. Then grab the line to the right of that node, and move back up to unmute.

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5

7 posts
Page 1 of 1