9 posts
Page 1 of 1
I would love to be able to quickly select all events either left or right of the cursor. Often I'm zoomed in quite closely and I find it time consuming and distracting to have to zoom out to make sure all the other events are moving along together. Merging Events in Studio One doesn't provide the ability to fade or cross-fade, which is frustrating. And selecting all in a loop involves too many steps.

Please help me find the ability to quickly and easily select all events left or right of cursor and I'll be a happy camper.
by mattiasdahl on Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:02 am
Am I the only one wanting to do this?
by donaldbaarns on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:36 am
mattiasdahl wroteAm I the only one wanting to do this?

It's not clear what you want to do.
Are you selecting to the end because you want to grab all events to the right and move them to the right?
Are you inserting something in the open space?
Replacing something you've copied to the clipboard to put in the space that is left after a move?

FWIW - There are menu commands to do this and you can assign them to keyboard shortcuts:
"Edit > Select > Select from Start to Event"
"Edit > Select > Select from Event to the End"

Don

Studio One v4.x Professional - latest version
PreSonus Studio 26
Eris E5s
iZotope RX7 Advanced
Windows 10 Pro x64-16 GB RAM
MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6) iMac i5 w 8 GB RAM

FB group for Studio One Users - Audiobooks, VO and Podcaster focused:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/StudioOneNarrationVO/

Studio One and iZotope RX Tutorials for Narrators/Podcasters/VO/Dialog:
https://www.youtube.com/user/RedBaarnsAudio
by mattiasdahl on Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:41 am
I'm sorry if I'm being unclear. I'll try to specify.

"Are you selecting to the end because you want to grab all events to the right and move them to the right?"
Yes, exactly. I'm editing a radio show at the moment and I need to select all parts on all tracks to the right of the tracker (is that what it's called? The "play" marker, the moving line you know) to move them to the right. This is being done to position music as well as editing the radio show itself. I don't wanna merge them all together since I may be forced to edit them a bit more at a later stage.

FWIW - There are menu commands to do this and you can assign them to keyboard shortcuts:

I've tried that, but I can't seem to get it to work. It's not clear to me what an "event" is, all I know is that Studio One has decided I have one at a certain place in my project and no matter how much I try I only get one certain part of the project marked...?

(BTW. I know I'm the stupid one about this, and I greatly appreciate any attempt to help me!)
by donaldbaarns on Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:02 pm
mattiasdahl wroteI'm sorry if I'm being unclear. I'll try to specify.

"Are you selecting to the end because you want to grab all events to the right and move them to the right?"
Yes, exactly. I'm editing a radio show at the moment and I need to select all parts on all tracks to the right of the tracker (is that what it's called? The "play" marker, the moving line you know) to move them to the right. This is being done to position music as well as editing the radio show itself. I don't wanna merge them all together since I may be forced to edit them a bit more at a later stage.

I've tried that, but I can't seem to get it to work. It's not clear to me what an "event" is, all I know is that Studio One has decided I have one at a certain place in my project and no matter how much I try I only get one certain part of the project marked...?

(BTW. I know I'm the stupid one about this, and I greatly appreciate any attempt to help me!)

You're fine, we'll all ignorant about something. I may know a little about S1, you know 10x more than me about something else. All good.

In order to see how it's working and understand the details, it makes sense to zoom out a little and learn, then once the concepts are clear, you can be zoomed in because you know the behavior. In other words, use the zooming as a learning tool, but once you have it down, you don't need it.

Check out the following command: "Edit > Insert Time". Highlight a range ("Range Tool" or Ctrl/Cmd + drag selection), then use that command and it will put in blank space and move everything to the right. The blank space will perfectly match the size of your selection. ("Delete Time" is the sister command.) With that command you don't have to select anything to the right, it all moves as you need. Just select how much space you want...

"Cursor": AKA "Playhead", the line where the playback or recording is currently set to start.

"Event": A segment of continuous audio. Primarily used as an organizational tool and if you select one, it will have a thin rectangle around it with drag handles on 3 sides. An event length can range from less than a second to hours long. Depends on your audio.

If you are recording voice, each time you start/stop you create a new event. You can also take an existing event and use different tools to create new events. For example, the "Split Tool" takes an existing event and allows you to cut it into smaller events. You can always bounce and remove events -OR- create more as needed. Creating additional events does NOT change the sound of your existing audio, just gives you a little segment of audio you can manipulate/edit/alter in some way.

You might want to check out the FB group in my AutoSig. We are focused on using S1 for narration/VO/Podcasting and your usage case will be similar to ours.

Fire away with additional questions if anything is unclear.

Don

PreSonus Studio 26
Eris E5s
iZotope RX7 Advanced

by mattiasdahl on Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:04 pm

Awesome, thanks for your answer! In an attempt to make things clearer I'll insert a pic. Now, if I wanna keep the exact distance between the circled parts but still move them to the right - that's the kind of function I need.

I have no problem with zooming in and out, I'm totally comfortable in Cubase and am now making the transition to Studio One (loving the software!), but in Cubase the function "Select from cursor to end" is a real timesaver, and I'd love to have it here too.
by donaldbaarns on Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:07 pm
mattiasdahl wroteAwesome, thanks for your answer! In an attempt to make things clearer I'll insert a pic. Now, if I wanna keep the exact distance between the circled parts but still move them to the right - that's the kind of function I need.

I have no problem with zooming in and out, I'm totally comfortable in Cubase and am now making the transition to Studio One (loving the software!), but in Cubase the function "Select from cursor to end" is a real timesaver, and I'd love to have it here too.

Yes, that makes sense. You're looking for the "Edit > Insert Silence" command. You don't have to select everything to the right, just highlight a range that is the amount of time you want inserted. That command is on the Edit menu, the shortcut menu, or use via a keyboard shortcut.

Easy, not obvious. Let me know if you have any questions.

Don

PreSonus Studio 26
Eris E5s
iZotope RX7 Advanced

by saturdaynightweaver on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:13 am
I still think one key command select all to the right or left of current cursor position is more intuitive and more useful as you can decide what you want to do then to all years of work now my elbows and shoulders need a rest so I am looking for ways of less stress so a controller and more key commands are for me now really important.As Imsaid if this is not implemented then a way to create a macro would be great...

Mac Pro 3GHz 8 core 32GB OS El Capitan 10.11.2 Beta - Focusrite Saffire 56 - Presonus 1818
by catfaudio on Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:10 pm
I agree with this request. I have mentioned it in a number of feature requests for version 3 and then version 4. It's still not there. it can't be too difficult to write some code. My original workstation Studer Dyaxis had this feature in 1994. It's also available in my Harrison Mixbus 5 software which is actually based on the open source Ardour software. Perhaps the folks at Presonus could mozy on over to the Ardour site and take a peek at their code. I edit mostly classical music which requires me to zoom in quite close to tweak an edit and it'd be nice if I knew everything either left or right of cursor/edit point were all coming along when I adjust the placement of the edit without having to zoom out and make sure I have all required events pre-selected.
I know that I can either select all in loop or merge events but these are annoying and time consuming extra steps.

9 posts
Page 1 of 1