86 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
There's a lot of vids about control link like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woFOqHjoZ28

I noticed that there's different modes and you have to restart it, also there is editor software.

I think there's a CC mode that you probably have to use then try the process to use control link.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Trucky on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:55 pm
normanyoung2 wroteJust bought one these and it works correctly out of the box, with PAN and everything doing as expected, BUT I want to use the sliders to control CC values, and I've failed completely to manage this.

I would have assumed you should be able to edit this from within Studio One 5, but when looking at the edit page, none of the sliders are there, so it isn't possible to edit them.

I tried setting up a new CONTROL surface but that didn't work either.
Setting up as a Mackie Control didn't help.

Has anyone succeeded in using one of these to control sampled instruments?

I wrote the nanoKONTROL 2 device drivers specifically for transport controls, markers, loop toggle, faders, pans, etc. so that all those features would work with Studio One. This driver is now included with the Studio One distribution.

To have it work "custom" per your request will require the following steps:
1. If installed, uninstall the nanoKONTROL 2 device from your External Devices because this device driver will conflict with what you're trying to do.
2. Factory default the nanoKONTROL 2 by holding [Prev Track], [Next Track] & [Cycle] buttons down while plugging it in to your USB port.
3. Now you should be able to setup all the knobs, faders, buttons etc. using "Control Link" and "MIDI Learn" in Studio One.

PLEASE ADD YOUR SYSTEM SPECS TO YOUR SIGNATURE.
Download the SO 6 PDF MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by kozmyk on Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:11 pm
Excellent Trucky.
I think I'm gradually catching on.
I've been fighting for nigh on three days trying to get nanoKontrol2 to work in any shape.
I finally found a Registry Tweak on YouTube that got the MIDI Ports visible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18SLcnbqwaI
Bad bad Korg for not keeping their driver software up to date, it really isn't Win10 friendly at all.

Anywhooo I eventually got the nK2 working as a vanilla transport and mix controller
BUT
In CC Mode everything was cock-eyed again.
Korg's own Korg Kontrol Editor could not see the MIDI in/out Ports of the nK2.
If there's a Registry fix for that problem, I haven't found it.
BUT
Presonus to the rescue here, Control Link will let me remap the nk2's CC output.

I note your comment Trucky about Removing the unused instance of nK2 in the External Hardware setup.
Question – Does it HAVE TO be removed ?. Is there not a way to just disable it ?
I'm thinking of a possible scenario where I might actually WANT the vanilla Mix & Transport Control for a particular job.
If I then Remove the CC setup would I have lost my Macro settings ?
That's a possible 51 control settings.
OR
Would those settings be reapplied upon instantiating another CC mK2 setup ?

Firepod(FP10 firmware), Studio One v5.0.1 (Sphere), Melodyne 5 Studio, Ableton Lite, Bitwig, Mixers (Soundcraft,Behringer,Studiomaster) Remotes Android, Sensel Morph, Instruments Basses, Guitars, Keyboards, Banjo, Didj, Cowbell, Mics-Dozens

Win10 Home, Intel i7 3770K 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 2GB
by kozmyk on Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:01 pm
KORG nanoKONTROL2 NOT Kontrolling

Korg DID try to be helpful, up to a point.
The bottom line of their advice was
“Windows won't allow more than 10 USB MIDI drivers on the go at once”
And
“Uninstall all the Korg drivers and the Korg Kontrol CC Editor, keep deleting drivers until you have less than ten. Unplug all other USB MIDI devices – Reinstall”

Except, I had already tried that.
They DID come up with “Check for hidden drivers in Device Manager”.
That Could work I guess.
BUT
They say that it's all due to a limitation imposed by Windows 10.
If that's true how come none of the other drivers, well over 10 of them have never caused a problem ?? Huh ?
Now I get that it USED to be a limitation on Win7 and possibly Win8 (I never had Win8) but blaming this problem on Win10 is just laziness on Korg's part in my opinion.
Can't be bothered to properly update their software.
They're still selling this product, they should keep it properly supported.

For now I've just junked Korg Kontrol Editor and remap for CC changes in Studio One and Ableton Live via their respective MIDI learn functions …
I've wasted days chasing this damned driver about the place.
A bodge fix is going to have to do for now.

When in DAW mode the nK2 runs sweet, now the “Alias” fix is in place in the Registry.
The “Alias” fix doesn't do it for the CC Editor software unfortunately ...
Last edited by kozmyk on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Firepod(FP10 firmware), Studio One v5.0.1 (Sphere), Melodyne 5 Studio, Ableton Lite, Bitwig, Mixers (Soundcraft,Behringer,Studiomaster) Remotes Android, Sensel Morph, Instruments Basses, Guitars, Keyboards, Banjo, Didj, Cowbell, Mics-Dozens

Win10 Home, Intel i7 3770K 4.2GHz, 32GB RAM, Gigabyte SKT-1155 Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GeForce GTX670 2GB
by Trucky on Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:32 pm
I agree that Korg is not very helpful with these kinds of requests.

You should check out USBDeview for Windows.
It's a great tool for troubleshooting USB devices.

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Needs to include: 1) Subject 2) Description 3) Country 4) Product 5) OS 6) Audio Software

Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (23H2), Studio One 6.5.2 Professional | Notion 6.8.2 | Universal Control v4.2.0.96206
Intel NUC 13 (Intel i5-1340P, Intel Iris Xe Graphics, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD, Revelator, SIII 32
by kozmyk on Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:22 pm
Trucky wroteI agree that Korg is not very helpful with these kinds of requests.
You should check out USBDeview for Windows.
It's a great tool for troubleshooting USB devices.
https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Thanks Trucky, I almost half-understand what I'm looking at there ... ;)

Korg DO have a point. If I remove everything else, disconnect all the hardware - remove all the drivers, THEN reinstall their less than up to date software I Might just have a chance to get it running as it ought to.
I'm not in a hurry to do that right now in case it disrupts the rest of my system regarding the reconnection and refinding of the drivers they recommend removing.
If Korg kept their software up to date then it wouldn't be hamstrung by the old 10 driver limit.
None of my other gear suffers from it, yet Korg continues to blame Windows ...

I'm getting CC utility from the nK2 unit, just without the benefit of the Korg Software.
For now I can make it do what I want by MIDI mapping.
That's fine until I encounter a CC number conflict ...

In the meantime I've just discovered some tasty Glitch Machine plugins and I'm adding to the Chaos in the Universe with those for now .... :punk:

by danielbuckley4 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:09 pm
Hello,

I just downloaded Studio One version 5 and was very excited to set up my new Korg nanoKONTROL 2. After adding selecting Korg nanoKONTROL 2 from the external device list and holding down the "SET" marker button and rewind button while plugging in in the usb device to activate Mackie mode my device was working great! I was able to adjust volume all the solo record and transport buttons just fine and bank between channels, however, when I went in to edit the parameters of a plug-in I was unable to assign any of the plug-in buttons to anything except the twisty knobs on top. I mention all this because I was able to go into the XML file within Studio One and make some edits so now the 8 faders are assignable to plug-in parameters. I’ve uploaded the XML file in case anybody wanted to try it out. I’d recommend backing up your original XML file just in case as I’m a novice coder 😀

Here's the steps to get the XML file working with your copy of Studio One

1. Download the xml file attached to this post and extract (it's a .zip file)
2. Navigate to PreSonus\Studio One 5\devices\Korg\nanoKONTROL 2
3. Save the current copy of nanoKONTROL 2.surface.xml somewhere else on your computer (just in case)
4. Delete the nanoKONTROL 2.surface.xml file
5. Copy > Paste in the file you downloaded from the attached file

Restart Studio One and you should be good to go! Let me know if it works for you.

Attachments
nanoKONTROL 2.surface.zip
Updated XML for nanoKONTROL 2 to allow assigning plugin parameters to faders
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
by Bbd on Tue Oct 20, 2020 3:24 pm
That was great for you to post this. I don't use that equipment but this might help someone who does.
:+1

Bbd

OS: Win 10 x64 Home, Studio One Pro 6.x, Notion 6, Series III 24, Studio 192, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, RAM: 32GB, Faderport 8/16, Central Station +, PreSonus Sceptre S6, Eris 3.5, Temblor 10, ATOM, ATOM SQ
by kozmyk on Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:53 pm
danielbuckley4 wroteHello,
I just downloaded Studio One version 5 and was very excited to set up my new Korg nanoKONTROL 2. After adding selecting Korg nanoKONTROL 2 from the external device list and holding down the "SET" marker button and rewind button while plugging in in the usb device to activate Mackie mode my device was working great! I was able to adjust volume all the solo record and transport buttons just fine and bank between channels, however, when I went in to edit the parameters of a plug-in I was unable to assign any of the plug-in buttons to anything except the twisty knobs on top. I mention all this because I was able to go into the XML file within Studio One and make some edits so now the 8 faders are assignable to plug-in parameters. I’ve uploaded the XML file in case anybody wanted to try it out. I’d recommend backing up your original XML file just in case as I’m a novice coder 😀

Here's the steps to get the XML file working with your copy of Studio One
1. Download the xml file attached to this post and extract (it's a .zip file)
2. Navigate to PreSonus\Studio One 5\devices\Korg\nanoKONTROL 2
3. Save the current copy of nanoKONTROL 2.surface.xml somewhere else on your computer (just in case)
4. Delete the nanoKONTROL 2.surface.xml file
5. Copy > Paste in the file you downloaded from the attached file

Restart Studio One and you should be good to go! Let me know if it works for you.

Excellent work danielbuckley4
I've downloaded it and will have a go with it at the earliest opportunity.
Thank you for sharing.

by GreatExpectations on Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:49 pm
Hey different question: I think about picking one up, how is the feel of the faders and potis on the device?

thanks!
by kozmyk on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:34 pm
GreatExpectations wroteHey different question: I think about picking one up, how is the feel of the faders and potis on the device?
thanks!

Nothing special but perfectly adequate.
Sliders are short throw but smooth, both in feel and response.
Pots are smooth.
Simple. no detents or click positions.

by emrezer1 on Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:21 pm
Hi everybody finally I found it! :) I can use first fader as mod wheel, second fader as vibrato, third fader as expression etc. I want to help you. It was really simple. You dont need to assign faders, knobs or use different xml etc. :)

First we need to donwload Korg editor to select our cc numbers which we want.

After it, start nano kontrol in CC mode. Press cycle and set while plugging it into the computer.

Than open Studio One, open "Configure External Devices" if your nanokontrol is added remove it. Add as "new keyboard". If you want you can write manufacturer device name etc. Its not necessary. When you added as "new keyboard" choose Receive from "NanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB" and Send to "nanoKONTROL2 1 CTRL"

Than open new project. Choose one instrument what you want. Enlarge track channel and dont choose your main keyboard choose "All Inputs"

And use your nanokontrol as a CC controller :)

If you want to change you CC number of your faders, close Studio One, open Korg Kontrol Editor. Click top Left button and choose Control mode from "Cubase" to "CC". Than change CC numbers as you like. CC1 is Mod Wheel, CC21 is Vibrato, CC11 is Expression etc. After you choosing what you want, in Kontrol Editor click "communication" and "write scene data" and accept it. Close Kontrol Editor its not necesseary to save it because you saved with "write scene data". Open Studio One and dont forget, sometimes in track channel "All inputs" changes to your main keyboard you have to check it. Enjoy! :)
by taylorscott2 on Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:09 pm
For anyone in 2021 looking how to make your Korg Nanokontrol2 work as a CC midi device (for using faders for expression/dynamics/etc) this is what you do:

-Start the controller in CC mode: Unplug the device, press and hold down the SET MARKER and CYCLE buttons, plug it back in while holding them down.
-Open the Korg Kontrol Editor software you can download and assign the faders whatever CC numbers you want (CC1, CC11, etc), Click the "Communication" menu item on top, click "Write to Scene"
-Open Studio One, go to options, external devices, Add new Keyboard (don't add the device via the premade Korg menu - just click 'add new keyboard'
-Name it what you want, then on the "Receive From" dropdown menu, select your Korg Nanokontrol2
-Click "OK"

-Open as VST like Kontakt, open your favorite library
-On the Studio One track header (where your mute/solo/volume buttons are on the track), make sure your "Input" is selected on "ALL INPUTS"

Enjoy your new faders!

Studio One 6 (Sphere)
Windows 10
Ryzen 7950x (16-Core)
64GB 6000mhz RAM
2x 2TB NVME M.2 SSD's
1x 4TB NVME M.2 SSD
Nvidia 4070 TI
ioStation 24c
by csgoodfellow on Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:38 pm
Ive gone thru all of these posts and tho I have the nano2 set up and have chosen it as a (keyboard) controller in S1 and in my VST, it doesnt work. Now having said that, it's still in CC mode. If I unplug it and plug it back in then it doesnt register in S1 at all.

Any suggestions? Using W10 and S1 v4

Thanks!
by robertiodice on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:58 pm
I have a Korg nanoKontrol 2 that I recall using successfully in Mackie/HUI mode with Studio One 4 (on Dell Latitude running Win7). Now that I'm on Studio One 5 running on Dell XPS13 running Win10, I can't seem to get it to do anything within S1/5. I'm just looking to use it for transport controls and channel fader / pans & Solo/Mute/RecEnable per channel.

I wonder if my USB path to my laptop could be a complicating factor. I'm using a Dell XPS13 laptop mated to a Dell D6000 Dock. From there I have a 4-port USB-C hub through which I have a 4-port USB-2 hub (with a hefty power brick) which is connected to my nanoKontrol 2.

To be more clear, here's the path between my nanoKontrol 2 to my computer:

NK2 >> 4-port USB-2 hub >> 4-port USB-C hub >> Dell D6000 Dock >> Dell XPS13

I should point out that I also have a Line 6 MobileKeys 49 going thru this same path and it works just fine in S1/5.

I have set the Mackie/HUI mode on the NK2 by pulling/connecting the USB cable at the NK2 (not at the computer) as to my way of thinking this should be equivalent. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I've read through this entire thread and it appears that I shouldn't need to change any of the Korg device files for S1/5 because all of the earlier "fixes" have since been incorporated. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I'm using Studio One 5.3.0.65413 which I think is the latest.
Also using Windows Home Vers. 10.0.19043

Thanks in advance for any help getting this going!

Studio One 5 v5.3.0, 64-bit
Notion v6.8.2, 64-bit
Window Home v10.0, 64-bit
by Trucky on Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:48 pm
Even though the setup instructions are for Studio One 3 it should work for you as well. I helped write the device files awhile back and submitted it to PreSonus. They now include them with Studio One 4 & 5 so just set it up using the KORG nanoKONTROL 2.
Here's the setup manual I put together for it:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=193880#p193880

by robertiodice on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:12 pm
Trucky wroteEven though the setup instructions are for Studio One 3 it should work for you as well. I helped write the device files awhile back and submitted it to PreSonus. They now include them with Studio One 4 & 5 so just set it up using the KORG nanoKONTROL 2.
Here's the setup manual I put together for it:
https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?p=193880#p193880

Thanks Trucky for the prompt response! I've downloaded your instructions. If I'm understanding the previous problem with the nanoKontrol2, it was that some buttons e.g. SET and knobs e.g. PAN, didn't work. However, my problem is that nothing appears to work.

On a separate note, your Studio One 3 instructions say to download your edited file and add it to Studio One. Is that still necessary with Studio One 5?

Notion v6.8.2, 64-bit
by Trucky on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:21 pm
No need to download them as I gave them to PreSonus so they now include those fixes with the Studio One device files for the KORG nanoKONTROL 2..

by robertiodice on Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:22 pm
Trucky wroteNo need to download them as I gave them to PreSonus so they now include those fixes with the Studio One device files for the KORG nanoKONTROL 2..

Thanks for confirming that Trucky!

Back to my nanoKontrol2 problem. I note in the Options > External Devices > Edit Device window for nK2 that my "Receive From" and "Send To" options are very limited and don't include the options that you show in your instructions, i.e. [Receive from] nanoKONTROL2 1 SLIDER/KNOB] & [Send To] nanoKONTROL2 1 CTRL. Specifically, my choices for "Receive From" are (none), (Mobile Keys 49) and (Studio 68 MIDI in). Mobile Keys 49 is my keyboard controller and Studio 68 is my interface. Likewise, my choices for "Send To" are (none), (Mobile Keys 49) and (Studio 68 MIDI out). Does this tell us anything about what may or may not be happening?

FWIW, I am now on Studio One 5.4.0

Notion v6.8.2, 64-bit
by Trucky on Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:26 am
robertiodice wroteI have a Korg nanoKontrol 2 that I recall using successfully in Mackie/HUI mode with Studio One 4 (on Dell Latitude running Win7). Now that I'm on Studio One 5 running on Dell XPS13 running Win10, I can't seem to get it to do anything within S1/5. I'm just looking to use it for transport controls and channel fader / pans & Solo/Mute/RecEnable per channel.

I wonder if my USB path to my laptop could be a complicating factor. I'm using a Dell XPS13 laptop mated to a Dell D6000 Dock. From there I have a 4-port USB-C hub through which I have a 4-port USB-2 hub (with a hefty power brick) which is connected to my nanoKontrol 2.

To be more clear, here's the path between my nanoKontrol 2 to my computer:

NK2 >> 4-port USB-2 hub >> 4-port USB-C hub >> Dell D6000 Dock >> Dell XPS13

I should point out that I also have a Line 6 MobileKeys 49 going thru this same path and it works just fine in S1/5.

I have set the Mackie/HUI mode on the NK2 by pulling/connecting the USB cable at the NK2 (not at the computer) as to my way of thinking this should be equivalent. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I've read through this entire thread and it appears that I shouldn't need to change any of the Korg device files for S1/5 because all of the earlier "fixes" have since been incorporated. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I'm using Studio One 5.3.0.65413 which I think is the latest.
Also using Windows Home Vers. 10.0.19043

Thanks in advance for any help getting this going!

Have you tried unplugging the USB hubs and plugging the nanoKONTROL 2 directly into the USB port on your laptop?

86 postsPage 4 of 5
1, 2, 3, 4, 5