18 posts
Page 1 of 1
I was working on a project and suddenly the audio stopped and looped a million times making it sound like a helicopter propeller. From there the system was still on so I saved once and then the laptop reset automatically (assuming that was the crash). When everything booted back up the file I was working on kept giving the message "the file is broken or could not be opened". I'm on windows, I really don't know how to get rid of this problem, can somebody help please, I want to recover my files
by sunmachine on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:39 pm
Hi, please post into the proper forum section to get the help you need.
If you're talking about Studio One then your question should go here:
viewforum.php?f=151

(So, if it's a broken Studio One song file, take a look at this thread: viewtopic.php?f=152&t=32)

Sonic Core XITE-1 SCOPE DSP Platform ~ Windows 7 Pro 64-bit@Mac Mini i7 (Late 2012) ~ Studio One Professional 2.6
RME Fireface UCX ~ OS X 10.9.5@MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) ~ Studio One Professional 2.6

--
Try FastMail for better email!
by savvtiwana on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:54 pm
I was working on a project and suddenly the audio stopped and looped a million times making it sound like a helicopter propeller. From there the system was still on so I saved once and then the laptop reset automatically (assuming that was the crash). When everything booted back up the file I was working on kept giving the message "the file is broken or could not be opened". I'm on windows, I really don't know how to get rid of this problem, can somebody help please, I want to recover my files

sunmachine also gave me this link to help me fix my file viewtopic.php?f=152&t=32 sadly i do not understand how the process works properly. I have tried turning off the services one by one. I turn the first one off let it restart, open the file and repeat that all the way through but it hasn't worked for me as of yet so I am assuming I am doing something wrong, if someone could help and fill me in that'd be great.
by savvtiwana on Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:57 pm
thank you, i have done as instructed here viewtopic.php?f=151&t=1436&p=7164#p7164
by Kiwicomposer on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:16 am
Before you do that maybe try this....

Check the songs History folder. It a subfolder inside the song folder itself.
If you had autosave turned on there will possibly some autosave files in there which you can open .. They are full copies of the song and might help rescue you.

The song names in the history folder include date and time so you can potentially go back to just before the crash and open the song.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 6.13.41 pm.png

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x
iMac's & MacBookAir all running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by savvtiwana on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:20 am
I don't have autosave turned off but weirdly enough the last autosave file that is in my history folder is from 6 days ago. On, before, and since that day I have not tampered with my autosave settings. For some reason there was no autosave for yesterdays file.
by Kiwicomposer on Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:28 am
:!: Moderator Note: Merged duplicate topics together!

Steve Currington
Wellington, New Zealand

Presonus Audiobox1818vsl, Presonus Audiobox USB, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Presonus Faderport, Presonus Monitor Station v2, M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard, KMI QuNeo & QuNexus, sundry other external FX hardware, mics, plugins & instruments.
Studio One v2.6.3, Sibelius v7.x, Notion v5.x, Progression v3.x, Melodyne Editor v2.1.2, Logic 9.x
iMac's & MacBookAir all running OSX Mavericks 10.9.5

To add your software and hardware specs to your signature to make it easier for us to help you, click HERE.
by vince66 on Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:15 am
Hi, I've recently had the same problem but without a prior crash.
Working on a track a few days ago, saved it. Closed and shut down normally then today I get the error message that it is broken or could not be opened. Even the autosaves give the same response.
Can any one advise or am I going to have to start from scratch?
Thanks.
by petereidy on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am
I have the same problem, After spending two weeks on a song I get a message saying the file can't be found, I have tried everything but no joy, this is the 3rd time this has happened to me and I have had to start from scratch, I'm now beginning to lose my patience, wish I hadn't purchased Studio One 3, I might have to count my losses save up and purchase something that's more reliable. Pete
by Lawrence on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:36 am
Your issue doesn't sound like the thread topic title as ... "Can't be found" ... and ... "Can't be opened / broken" ... are two different things. Clarify which one you mean, if Studio One can't open a song file or if Studio One can't find or locate a song file.

Likely 99% of the time the second thing (can't find the file) is a user housekeeping or thought process error, while my best guess is that the first thing (can't open, broken song file) has about a 99% chance of recovery if there is data in the song file and it can unzipped or the broken zip file structure can be repaired.

If you work with autosave on you'll always have (after a certain period of time) 10 backup copies. If you worked for two weeks on a song and never even bothered to back it up, that's not a good way to work with any software in general.

If the song file is broken and you don't have any backups, post it, maybe Jeff or someone can fix it.
by danielhoehne on Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:25 am
vince66 wroteHi, I've recently had the same problem but without a prior crash.
Working on a track a few days ago, saved it. Closed and shut down normally then today I get the error message that it is broken or could not be opened. Even the autosaves give the same response.
Thanks.

Were you able to solve this? Just upgrade to 4 Pro, never had a problem until this week. Two songs unable to open from several saved drives and auto save.....UGGGGHHHHHH
by Lawrence on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:03 am
As a general FYI, when I've seen this happen it typically appears to be one of these causes...

1. Studio One maybe crashed or borked in some way while saving a song, only that song will be broken, not the backups.
2. Anti-virus or cloud backup does something to the files. In that case, even the backups get corrupted.

Studio One songs are *.zip format and (apparently. best guess from what I've seen anyway, fwiw)...

- In some cases anti-virus (?) pulls a false positive on it and changes it breaking it... or...
- Automatic cloud backup or some auto-backup applications (under some maybe rare circumstances, dunno) do the same thing, corrupts the file format or does something to the format where you can't open it or unzip it anymore.
by DANZILLL on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:01 am
danielhoehne wrote
vince66 wroteHi, I've recently had the same problem but without a prior crash.
Thanks.

Were you able to solve this? Just upgrade to 4 Pro, never had a problem until this week. Two songs unable to open from several saved drives and auto save.....UGGGGHHHHHH

Presonus gear & software,M-Audio,ESI,GBL,Ibanez,Washburn,Digitech and more....))) ;) :thumbup:
by DANZILLL on Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:04 am
Have the same problem today.Cant understand whats happening((((((((((((never had this before.......

Presonus gear & software,M-Audio,ESI,GBL,Ibanez,Washburn,Digitech and more....))) ;) :thumbup:
by klubbbanguz on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:45 pm
man I'm having the same issue intact now files r missing I used another computer to load the session and it freeze 5o% at Melodyne ...
by michaelmarton on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 am
I wonder if a recent windows update did this. I went away for a week with S14 working like a tank and now my latest project has clicks and stutters even with no plugins loaded. Have to turn up my dropout protection to max to even get it half decent, which is still unusable...

Hex core 8770K, Win 10 64 bit, Apollo X8, Konnekt48 (ADAT/midi), Roland D-20, JD-Xi, Mixbus, Studio One Pro 5.4, Hardware and Guitars.
by dandremccallum on Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:40 am
Every fileItry to import says file is broken or could not be opened. when i first got studio one 5 this wasn't an issue. every computer ive tried on says the same message. any suggestions?
by earljones1 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:48 pm
Kiwicomposer wroteBefore you do that maybe try this....

Check the songs History folder. It a subfolder inside the song folder itself.
If you had autosave turned on there will possibly some autosave files in there which you can open .. They are full copies of the song and might help rescue you.

The song names in the history folder include date and time so you can potentially go back to just before the crash and open the song.

Screen Shot 2014-08-08 at 6.13.41 pm.png

100% correct! Fixed in less than 30 secs. Thank you bro; almost lost it lol :punk:

18 posts
Page 1 of 1