8 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hello All,
Wondering if anyone else sees this or may know a fix.
I did a session today where I opened up a song with 18 mono tracks and 1 midi track. The first pass of the song was where I would be recording about 15 of those tracks at once. When I record enable them, I hit record and the song is advancing in time and capturing all the audio. After about 8 measures, the recording automatically stops and the time pointer goes immediately to the start of the song and starts a play back.. at the playback, all 15 tracks of audio disappear and the playback is NOTHING. Weirdest thing I ever seen. What is even stranger is, its VERY inconsistent. I can sometimes record the same song again or after 3 or 4 attempts, it will behave and not stop recording until I tell the software when to. I think I notice that its MORE common to happen when I have more audio tracks record enabled. Today, being very frustrated with this, I reboot my computer and when right back in. Record enabled all 15 tracks, --- the first pass stopped after 8 measures again... then the second pass behaved fine and I got thru the whole song error free..
I am using Studio One V3.0
Any see this or know what do.. or what it may be?
thanks! Joe

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
Roland Fantom X | Roland RD600
by joeloduca on Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:37 pm
Just want to add some data on the above in case it helps:

My CPU seems quite low throughout the entire session. Even when the recording automatically stops, I think CPU is below 10%.

I am using a wireless keyboard and mouse, I think for troubleshooting purposes, I will go wired thinking that maybe some key is interrupting this recording process. The only reason I say its not likely is that the process seems to be very consistent at doing 8 measures and stopping.. If it was a random ESC key getting hit, its pretty much got an accurate frequency of 8 bars..

I have 24 gig of ram and enough harddrive to do some damage. So I think thats probably why Disc I/O is very low... Not sure, but tomorrow I will do more troubleshooting.. Just curious if anyone out there ran into this or its just me..

have a great evening..

XPS 8930 Intel Core i7 9700 3.0GHz Processor; NVIDIA GTX 1660 Super 6GB GDDR6; 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM; 1TB SSD; on Windows 10. Interface: PreSonus SL24.4.2 on firewire400. Studio One Pro 5 | Melodyne Editor 5 | IvoryII | IK-Multimedia | Kontakt
by dallasbishop on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:03 pm
Hey there,

I am having the same problem with Studio One 3 Pro... it started acting up a couple months ago to when you started a song in the program it would kind of hiccup and re settle itself. That sort of went away and now it's doing the same thing. I will randomly stop recording at different times and I lose my audio take and it has become very frustrating. Is there some factory default setting for all the basic audio options? I really haven't messed with any of them but would like to try some kind of reset and see if that helps. I also have not been able to find any help with this issue but will continue to keep looking and experimenting. Will re post if I find anything helpful
by Jemusic on Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:35 pm
I suggest that you should start by watching this video it is very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUsLLEkswzE

This could be a situation where the CPU is being interrupted so much it is causing your computer to stop completely.

Please get the free DPC latency checker and run that and see what sort of figures you are seeing. I bet there may be some very large red spikes in your case.

The wireless keyboard and mouse could be a serious contender for this as he mentions in the video any sort of wireless networking that is going may be a cause. A wireless keyboard and mouse is simply not necessary in a standard DAW setup. I find too the batteries in the mice make them heavier and the batteries will always run out when you dont want them too as well.

But apart from that the fact they are communicating via a network to the computer may be an issue. Then again not, but it might be another hardware device in your system.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by joeloduca on Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:35 pm
Jemusic: Lots of great info in your post and thanks hugely for that! I downloaded the free app and ran it, actually before I even ran that app, I took out all the wireless keyboard/mouse thing and now have wired versions of both. I think it may have helped a little but still doing the interruption thing.

When I ran the app, as you've mentioned, I have some red spikes in there.. Very few actually and the normal average CPU samples on the graph are quite low. When it hits red, its ALL THE WAY UP on the graph.. I want to view the youtube link again, that really makes huge sense. But I think the issue I have is I know something is grabbing and wont let go of the CPU, I don't see a great way to know what exactly it is. I dont think is the keyboard/mouse. I kind of doubt that its the network because I don't have any firewall running on my system and for that reason, I much prefer the ethernet port be disabled in control panel. If I totally run out of ideas, maybe I will do that in BIOS just incase Windows does something crazy with disable devices (and I wouldn't put it past Bill Gates to be doing that). But for lack of any better ideas, I have a few other ideas of what I don't need to be working while running Studio1. So I will experiment. I wish I could see what is actually interrupting that CPU at those red spike moments.. Also too, i will look at the manual for that app..

Have a great one!

by Jemusic on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:10 pm
I know this sounds tedious but I am sure he says on the video what you have to do is disable things one by one in your Device Manager, check, re-enable etc and and at some point the red spikes will stop. Then you will know what it is. Only do one at a time though!

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by joeloduca on Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:33 pm
Yep, you are exactly correct.

Actually, I did this one device at a time of things that are able to be disabled. And unfortunately, the issue still remains no matter what is disabled.

I have a hunch though: I really looked at a SANDRA report on my system. My systems contains 4 drives and 3 of them are I believe to be the best performing from Western Digital (Black). One of my drives is a BLUE and thats my C: bootup drive. I guess I felt that back when I built this system, I had better let the slowest drive be the OS. Based on the fact that I have 24 gig of RAM, I thought that possibly the system wouldn't really need to any paging or MS virtual memory nonsense that would use this lower performing OS drive -- but its about the only idea I have left.. So I am really thinking seriously about a solid state drive for my OS.. I am extremely sure that the guy on your video stated that he did this exact thing and it came down to SSD = no issues and common HD = issues.. So I think tomorrow I am pretty sure I have a game plan.. I might run that app and look for red spikes and see if I can monitor OS Disk activity.. If I see a correlation, I might be on to something...

joe

by joeloduca on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:30 pm
Folks, I wanted to post this because I strongly believe I solved my issue. And the fix was a bit different. I ended up buying a SSD and placed it into my system as the new bootup drive. While I think it made things better and performance shot up a little, It still did not fix the issue of my CPU being interrupted and the recording process stopped.

I have only been using Studio1 for about a year now, I am a retired Protools guy and I can tell you on the Avid Protools side of the fence, there was an option called "Hyper-Threading" in the BIOS that would really mess things up for some (and its debatable- I sometimes hear that for some folks having this DISABLED makes things worse) But for me, I can tell you that having HYPER-THREADING enabled really messes up my system. I use to turn it off and leave it off for ProTools, only reason I turned it on many months ago is I thought I heard that Studio 1 was an app that would enjoy this feature.. Maybe it does for some, but it sure does NOT in my system. So I went into BIOS and disabled Multithreading and the performance enhancement and stability is pretty astounding to say the least. I opened up many audio tracks and put this thru so things that would have made it crash in burn the old way. I hope this helps some people, dallasbishop you mentioned seeing this, look in your system and toggle that option..

Have a great one!

8 posts
Page 1 of 1