7 posts
Page 1 of 1
there,

Is it true that Studio One does not have Midi volume control in the tracks view. If so why not?

I'm hoping I am misunderstanding what I've read on the Studio One forums and it does have a MIDI track volume control. Otherwise, what can you can use instead?

Luckily for me, I have a separate line mixer with volume and panning for all my synthesizer so I am in pretty good shape but then what do you do for automation.

I feel sorry for those who don't. If it isn't an option now they should really put that in quickly as an option for the next upgrade.

Steve

---------------Steve The Musicman----------------

Dell Optiplex 780 i5 16 gig ram, dual monitor, Sonar X3, Sibelius 7, Studio One Pro, Garritan JABB, GPO COMB Instant Orchestra, MidiQuest 11. AudioBox One, StudioLive 24AI, fader port, Lynx II, Roland JV-1080, 2080, 1010. Alesis QSR, DM Pro, Nano piano. Yamaha Motif RX, Vl70m/w Patchman rom
MidiMan 8x8, 4X4, 4X2. Studio Logic 900, Oxygen 25, Finger Trigger, Eventide reverb, DBX 166A, Line 6 Bass pod, Event 20/20 BAS. Ovation Adamas 1597, Fender active jazz bass, Epiphone 335 dot (Red of course). Yamaha wx5 and AKAI EWI 4000S wind controllers.
by Jemusic on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:09 pm
This has been talked about before several times. You can look at it two ways. One as something they have left out or another way to look at it is that it is not cluttering up the mixer channels.

Your hardware synths will most likely feed some sort of external analog mixer so one could think that is the best place for a hardware mixer channel.

The midi track that you create to feed your external midi instrument has all the automation you need. Just press 'A' and it all pops up as per usual.

One thing you can do and many have not thought of this approach either is to still create the external midi track as per usual. But what you can do is also create either a buss or an audio track and use pipeline to feed the hardware synth direct into Studio One that way. Instead of monitoring the synth mixer you monitor the synth via these inputs instead. It works very well actually and you can use plugins and things on the way in too. You do have to run your system latency down low in order to minimise any latency in the playing feel however but it can be done as well. Remember ultimately you have to turn all external midi into audio anyway (you should) before doing a mix so then your synth has its own audio track with everything on that as per usual.

Here is a more detailed thread on it for your interest.

viewtopic.php?f=213&t=535&start=40

It is on page 3 of this thread. Actually the whole thread is interesting.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by Rangersam on Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:25 pm
If you are used to ,say, 'Cubase', you are probably used to a midi volume fader. In StudioOne, this is redundant. Instead, you have the option to control midi velocity, midi volume and unit volume.

If you want to automate these, you can do this by adding the parameter to the track. See manual section10 for more details.

i7 3770,ASUS P8Z68-V-LE RME Multiface x2,RME ADI2,Lucid 2496. Casio PX-3,Yamaha V50,Korg 05,Roland SH-01,Korg Nanopad2,Behringer BCF,BCR2000(studio).
i7 4770, Asus Z87-C, M-Audio delta66,RME ADI2,Vox TonelabLE (spdif input), A&HZED12FX, M-Audio Keystation61ES (home).
Soundworkshop Series30(rackmounted in groups of 8), Dynaudio BM15 speakers.
Win10 64,S1Pro,Soundforge10, CD Arch5,Reason10,Recycle, Waves, Drumcore 3, Korg legacy digital and analogue,
Arturia Vintage Collection, NI Komplete10,Alicia's Keys,Vintage compressors,Premium tube series.
https://soundcloud.com/andrew-emery
by stevelewis1 on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm
Hi,

Although it's not a deal killer I would really like to see a volume control but, as I said in my last post, I have 1U 8 stereo channel ashley mixer for all my synths. I only use 5 stereo so i have 3 free stereo channels for future equipment. I can control my synths volume albeit manually and do my automation in the mIdi track when needed. Having volume control per track would make a little easier but that's the way it is.

Thanks for the help, I hate, but also like, learning the idiosyncrasies between StudioOne and Sonar. Any way I can get a complete brain dump so I don't have to remember new things?

Steve

---------------Steve The Musicman----------------

Dell Optiplex 780 i5 16 gig ram, dual monitor, Sonar X3, Sibelius 7, Studio One Pro, Garritan JABB, GPO COMB Instant Orchestra, MidiQuest 11. AudioBox One, StudioLive 24AI, fader port, Lynx II, Roland JV-1080, 2080, 1010. Alesis QSR, DM Pro, Nano piano. Yamaha Motif RX, Vl70m/w Patchman rom
MidiMan 8x8, 4X4, 4X2. Studio Logic 900, Oxygen 25, Finger Trigger, Eventide reverb, DBX 166A, Line 6 Bass pod, Event 20/20 BAS. Ovation Adamas 1597, Fender active jazz bass, Epiphone 335 dot (Red of course). Yamaha wx5 and AKAI EWI 4000S wind controllers.
by jpettit on Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:14 am
stevelewis1 wrotelearning the idiosyncrasies between StudioOne and Sonar

There are two fundamental differences between Sonar and Studio One.
MIDI
1) You don't access MIDI ports. You access devices used for input of output that see MIDI ports ( you found that out on your first thread) :-)
Studio One does even store the MIDI it actually stores a "better than" protocol "Instrument data"with higher resolutions. It converts it back to MIDI protocol when it outputs to a Synth.

Track vs Channel
2) There is not a 1 to 1 relationship[ between a tack and a channel as in Sonar. 1 track may have 16 audio channels ( as the case of a multi-timber soft synth). Tracks are more or less an object to hold audio, MIDI or automation data. Channels on the other hand are where all the mixing occurs. Even though you can control the volume ( controller 7) with automation, they expect you to do the general mix with the audio channels.

Here is a signal flow diagram that might help you make the shift
viewtopic.php?f=152&t=35

My Website, Free Studio One Advance Training
SPECS: Win 11 22H2, 18 Core i9: 32Gb DDR4 ram, 42" 4K monitor, StudioLive 24/16, Faderport16, Central Station Plus, Sceptre 6, Sceptre 8, Temblor T10, Eris 4.5, HP60, Studio One Pro latest, Test Platforms Reaper latest, Cakewalk latest
by Tacman7 on Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:52 am
I never used midi volume when I used cubase.

You need the volume of the sound created, what you hear, not reducing the volume that the module puts out.

So all the modules are going full blast and they have a volume control coming into the mix.

I tried that in cubase and it was a mess. Too much level control in too many places gets confusing.

You can still set up midi volume to control volume automation, I think. Seems like you could in cubase but haven't tried it in S1.

Forum Moderator.
Please add your specs to your SIGNATURE.
Search the STUDIO ONE 6 ONLINE MANUAL. Access your MY.PRESONUS account.
OVERVIEW of how to get your issue fixed or the steps to create a SUPPORT TICKET.
Needs to include: 1) One Sentence Description 2) Expected Results 3) Actual Results 4) Steps to Reproduce.

Studio OnePro6 Melodyne Studio
Win10 Ryzen 5 3600 - Motu M2
Ventura Mac Mini M2 - Zen Go TB
by Lawrence on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:08 pm
This below is a midi volume slider. It's automation but you don't have to actually read or write automation with it to use it just to control midi volume, or pan.

Midi Control 7 & 10 automation (if you're also doing that) can be written directly to the clip while recording, and edited in the controller lane, not to that envelope. It's pretty easy to have direct access to CC's right at the track panel with those sliders.

Like Jeff suggests, you're thinking like Sonar and S1 doesn't work like Sonar.

P.S. You can also - if you want - built your own custom CC mixer with faders and pans with the external device panels, if you want remote control of midi hardware.

Hope that helps.

7 posts
Page 1 of 1