6 posts
Page 1 of 1
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance for any help!

I have a makeshift "studio" room in my house where I do most of my recording etc. Its insulated to neutralise frequencies and is good for mixing but not much good for recording vocals or miced instruments.

My lounge room however is.

Is it possible to run studio one over a network (I know nothing about networks), so that if I had a separate computer with studio one installed I could access my Song files with the computer in the lounge and have the audio gear attached there for tracking?

Other options would be to
- Use the new ipad feature (have ordered S1 V3 and waiting excitedly) and remote control the DAW from the lounge room, however the rooms are at opposite ends of the house and I'd rather not run audio cables that far (may even require a DI box)
- Completely install everything on the new computer where I can then copy the complete song over to an external hard drive, then record and copy them back over to the original computer for mixing. It’s a lot more tedious then it sounds as I have tried it on a friends laptop.

I have money stashed away for new music equipment, and was thinking of buying a laptop or tablet so was going to tie the 2 in together as long as there is a valid reason for use.

Cheers

JK
by matthewgorman on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:33 am
Currently, not over the network. Once Dante comes more in to play (and/or AVB) it will be possible, but that is a little ways off.

I would start with the lowest cost option and see if that does the trick. Once S1 pro is in your hands, use the ipad app for remote control, and run a long mic cable to the other room. Money is probably better spent on something other than a second PC to record vox in a different room.

What is it about the first room that makes it bad for vocals? These work pretty well in poor sounding rooms, or you could create something similar with some dense curtains?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... HwodKesBSA

Matt

Lenovo ThinkServer TS140 Win 10 64bit, 8GB RAM, Intel Xeon
Lenovo Thinkpad E520, Windows 7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5 Processor

S1Pro V5
by oldblood on Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:14 am
A friend of mine has made some gobo's/treated screens along with the filter Matt pointed out and it works pretty well. I have seen vids on You Tube showing how to make these things, or ideal materials etc, another alternative to heavy curtains is the blankets removers use setup on make shift frames. I know these are not ideal but it is something to try.

Clive

i5 @4.4Ghz, 16 GB Ram, GTX 550TI graphics OS:Win7 64
Focusrite Sappire Pro 24DSP,Nektar Impact LX88,
KRK Rokit 6, Cakewalk MA-150.
DAW S1 V3 Professional
Synths: Reason,
Plugs: Waves, Slate,Soundtoys, Eventide, Lexicon, Melda and various.
by Jemusic on Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:30 pm
HI JK. I am, running 4 computers at once here and I have got two of them networked. And very well. But in my case they are side by side. I have an XP 32 bit machine running Studio One V2 and a Win 7 64 bit machine running V3.

I am not using them the way you are though. What I am doing is using the power of the second machine to reinforce the main machine. You have to install a special Reaper plug in order to send audio between the two machines which works very well mind you. There are some very slight latencies involved as well you have to be aware of. I also have audio (analog and digital) and midi connected between them as well and that is faster and involves no latency.

What I am not doing (or cannot do at this stage) is open V3 from the V2 machine or visa versa.

I think in your case you are wanting remote control and I feel the best way around it might be using the remote app concept. That to me seems like the best approach. My approach is great for sending audio from tracks or buses over to the second machine, processing that audio and returning it back to the main machine. (I have got a UAD 1 card installed in the XP machine too which really helps) That works great. You can involve pipeline too and use the delay/advance options for compensating for the latancy involved because it is fixed and precise.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz-8 Gb RAM-Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME HDSP9632 - Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 2/8 - Atom Pad/Atom SQ - HP Laptop Win 10 - Studio 24c interface -iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - High Sierra 10.13.6 - Focusrite Clarett 2 Pre & Scarlett 18i20. Studio One V5.5 (Mac and V6.5 Win 10 laptop), Notion 6.8, Ableton Live 11 Suite, LaunchPad Pro
by jjjkay on Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:38 pm
Thanks for the advice guys, thought that might be the case.

Oh well, we'll see how we go when I get V3!!!
by R.Hargrave on Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:16 pm
Hi,
You can open studio One on another computer if you use the remote desktop.And then there's Copperlan which transmits midi over Lan, so it is feasable
:)

6 posts
Page 1 of 1