6 posts
Page 1 of 1
So I recorded a song with four guitar parts in it, pretty simple as I am just getting started. I wanted to send them to someone who had some experience at mixing and he said just send each track as a .wav file. What is the best way to do that? I actually did it but it took me a long time of trial and error and there is probably a better way. I had to mute all the tracks except for the track that I was working on and then set a start and end marker for that track and then mixdown that track to a wav file. I did that for all four tracks. Is there an easy way to delete all markers at once? Does the top track always show a start marker all by itself. Well I guess that's it for now. Thanks much.
by sirmonkey on Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:52 pm
Why not export them all at once? If you set the start and end markers to cover the longest track, it will ensure that the tracks stay lined up. So even if there long periods of silence in some of the tracks, it's noothing to worry about. Whoever mixes the song could easily cut out unnecessary parts of tracks if needed.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by Cobalt on Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:53 pm
If I did that when i export them would the person see all four tracks? Thanks.
by codamedia on Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:13 am
Cobalt wroteI had to mute all the tracks except for the track that I was working on and then set a start and end marker for that track and then mixdown that track to a wav file.

You have the wrong approach for exporting individual tracks.

1: Set the START and END for the longest track. It doesn't matter if some are shorter and export silence.... this will assure that they all line up at the beginning. (never change the start marker... that is the most important)

2: Export STEMS (not mixdown). This will export each part to it's own track. There is still some trial and error to learn how it works and what each setting does - but STEMS is your answer.

I export stems all the time for sharing. It's really fast and easy once you learn it.

Windows 10 Professional, 8 Gig Ram, Q9300 Intel 2.5G CPU, ATI 5400 Video
Firepod Interface, Studio One Artist (64 bit) V2, M-Audio Axiom 49, FaderPort
by sirmonkey on Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:55 pm
Here's a good video about exporting stems, which should answer your questions.... www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmDTev-puJs The video also covers some important information that you might not have thought to ask about (for example, when exporting, do you want the stems to be rendered with pan, volume, reverb...and effects? Or just the raw tracks, centered, with no processing?). So there's bound to be stuff that you might not know to ask about.

Atari 5200, 64K RAM S1PRO Radio Shack Cassette Recorder w/internal Mic, and too many plugins.
by zzskhg on Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:28 pm
I've been doing quite a bit of wav stem sharing myself recently, and can attest to the importance of setting the start/end labels! Make sure that your buddy doing the mix also sets equivalent markers in thier DAW once they import your stems.

You may also want to send them a screen print of your song settings - which should include bpm, sample rate and song length. And if they export stems back to you, ask for the same info.

Windows 10 home, i7 quad core, 16 gig ram, studio 192, faderport 8, jbl lsr305 monitors. S1v3.2 pro.

6 posts
Page 1 of 1