2 posts
Page 1 of 1
I am new to recording with studio one. I have 4 volumes to set: the audio interface channel volume the audio interface master volume the studio one track volume and the studio one master volume. I need some very basic advice on setting these levels to get the best recording. Thanks
by Vocalpoint on Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:30 pm
pauldavidson7 wroteI am new to recording with studio one. I have 4 volumes to set: the audio interface channel volume the audio interface master volume the studio one track volume and the studio one master volume. I need some very basic advice on setting these levels to get the best recording. Thanks

Paul

Welcome to the Forum!

Q: What audio interface are you using and what exactly are you recording coming in?

In Studio One - suggest you always leave the track faders AND master bus fader at 0.0dbFS.

For your audio interface - adjust your input channel gain to be just hot enough to prevent any red lights from flashing (Or whatever your I/O does to indicate a "too" hot signal)

In S1 - for each single track you add (except possibly drums) - shoot for your input to tag up anywhere between -18bFS and -12dbFS. Anywhere in that zone is great for gtrs, bass, keys , loops, vocals etc. You also have finer control with the Input Gain controls in the S1 console to ensure everything is nicely in the pocket before recording anything.

For drums - same general zone but it's OK to have the occasional snare drum or transient hit pop up to -10dbFS or even -6dbFS for an instant. Compression is your friend to tame the drum kit.

Bottom line is ensure that all channels - especially the master bus - do not approach or exceed -0.1dbFS.

If you see a small red box at the top of the master bus meters with numbers flashing after laying down a half dozen tracks - you have gone too far and are now clipping the overall mix. Left unchecked - this leaves you with a file that generally will sound nasty.

Good luck!

VP

DAW: Studio One Pro 6.6.0.99237 | Host OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2 | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME z790-A | CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13600K | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | Graphics: Intel UHD 770 (HDMI) | Audio Interface: RME UCX II (v1.249) | OS Drive : Samsung 990 PRO (1TB) | Media Drive: Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500GB) | Libraries: Samsung 970 EVO+ (2TB) | Samples : Seagate FireCuda (2TB) | Monitoring: Presonus Monitor Station v2 + Presonus Eris 5 | MIDI Control: Native Instruments Komplete S61 & Presonus ATOM

2 posts
Page 1 of 1